• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

DOWN

Banned
I wish I could try the D-Box version :(

But I think by the time I get back in town in 3 weeks, it won't be playing with D-Box. I'll probably see it again anyway.

Looks like it's time to make a move.

"It started as most stories of true love tend to begin: Over a greasy paper plate, half-eaten slices of pizza resting on them like two halves of the same heart; the ringing, clanging cacophony of doofs getting their shit wrecked at 74 miles an hour playing sweetly below the unrealized desire just starting to awaken, as a 40ft tall vision of Charlize Theron's bald head loomed over them like a grimacing, angry moon."

Go for it.

We're going out again next weekend.

Oh and she wants to be a doctor. Not for the money either. She wants to help people.

"It started as most stories of true love tend to begin: Over a greasy paper plate, half-eaten slices of pizza resting on them like two halves of the same heart; the ringing, clanging cacophony of doofs getting their shit wrecked at 74 miles an hour playing sweetly below the unrealized desire just starting to awaken, as a 40ft tall vision of Charlize Theron's bald head loomed over them like a grimacing, angry moon."

iF4ajSXeUvOx7.gif

~Kinggi~

Banned
I kinda want to see this again tomorrow in 3d. Might as well be a different experience than my first 2d view. But yeah this movie is a good movie film. Also the music is awesome.

Holy shit. I had literally no interest or expections going into this. A friend just brought me along.

Completely blown away. Amazing movie.

The Chef

It is the greatest blockbuster I have seen in probably a decade. The complaints about a weak script or acting are ultimately hollow. The movie has fantastic world building and uses every scene that tells a story through it gorgeous visuals.

This doesn't suffer from a empty script or a movie with weak leads like the typical blockbusters were used in movies like Fast and Furious, Transformers or even Avengers. This is like high art compared to the modern day blockbuster.

So I just got back from seeing it the 2nd time. I figured it was likely that I wouldn't like it as much the 2nd time around, or about the same.

I like it even more now.

The plot is simple, but the world has so many goddamn small details in it that I missed the first time around that I caught here. The movie seems like it doesn't have much to it, and if you just want a straight up action movie with crazy ass chase sequences, you're all set here. But there's so many little things that you can get a little piece of, and small character moments that just make everything even better.

This movie honestly feels like one I will never get tired of watching. I loved Gravity and saw it quite a few times, but that eventually wore thin. This movie is just so dense with detail and absolutely insane action sequences, that I could probably pick up on new things in 3rd, 4th, 5th+ viewings.

It is the most savage action movie I've ever seen in a theater. Bar none.

Is it implied that the seas have dried up in this movie? They say 160 days of travel on the salt flats. That sounds too long for just Australia. It might also explain the different accents.

cirrhosis

Just got back from seeing it with my brothers. Holy fucking shit!

It's great, one of the best action films I've seen in a long time. Will see it again sometime this week.

inm8num2

This movie is just so dense

Rick McCallum approves! :p

Seriously, I agree with your entire post. I just love how the film's narrative unfolds through the action itself and all the details therein. It's a movie that can reward repeat viewings not just for being so entertaining, but for having so much craftsmanship to appreciate.

BTM

Seeing it again tomorrow in a theater with Dolby Atmos sound and a bigger screen. So excited.

That's how I saw it. You won't be disappointed.

The simplicity of the story/plot is really what makes it such an enjoyable watch. It lets you take in all of the detail and love that went into the film. Can't wait to see it again.

inm8num2

Me and my gf have never seen a Mad Max movie (we love action films though). Will we still enjoy and understand this?

Yes to both! Relentless action, amazing stunt work, fantastic visuals, and an overpowering adrenaline rush.

If anything, Fury Road works really well as an introduction to the world of Mad Max.

Kimosabae

Banned
I just caught up on the series and plan to see this Sunday. one thing's bugging me: how does this classify as sci-fi? What's sci-fi about it?

DOWN

Banned
I just caught up on the series and plan to see this Sunday. one thing's bugging me: how does this classify as sci-fi? What's sci-fi about it?
Purported decaying and warfare destroyed world, with pervasive mechanical and medical invention. Or so I'd guess. I'd definitely call it sci-fi action. Not sure what else it would be.

inm8num2

I'd say the post-apocalyptic setting, or just the dystopian nature of it. But I wouldn't consider Fury Road a sci-fi film. More like an action thriller with a sci-fi backdrop.

Think this movie will have some legs.

People were whooping and hollering in my theater after a brief moment of stunned silence when the credits rolled.

KAOS

Mad Max Furiosa Road! Enjoyed the flick... wish it had more blood and gore. Didn't care for the speedy cam and It needed more Mad Max! Truth be told this movie is a vehicular ballet! Cirque Du Soleil on Wheels!

DOWN

Banned
Did anyone else love the effect of this being at standard frame rates? There's this rad frame flicker/strobe effect that I think really helped the movie visually, especially in the opening chase through the halls. The Deathly Hallows Part 1 has it noticeable like Fury Road in its no-music chase scene through the forest. Love it.

Kimosabae

Banned
Purported decaying and warfare destroyed world, with pervasive mechanical and medical invention. Or so I'd guess. I'd definitely call it sci-fi action. Not sure what else it would be.

Seems more Fantasy-Action to me, since the plots never dabble much in the means of things, they just are. I dunno.

What "medical invention" are you referring to?

Did anyone else love the effect of this being at standard frame rates? There's this rad frame flicker/strobe effect that I think really helped the movie visually, especially in the opening chase through the halls.
Opening sequence was undercranked to good effect.

Top Bottom