• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Jex

Well I think we are pushing it a little bit here :b It's a great action movie, but the hype in GAF sometimes gets out of hand.

Well, to be fair, it's just not GAF, it's everywhere, specifically the near-universal critical consensus.

Well I think we are pushing it a little bit here :b It's a great action movie, but the hype in GAF sometimes gets out of hand.

It's not just gaf hype :p

gF9nX8K.jpg

I think it's people who are big fans of genre films will view it as great film rather than a great action film.

Just got back from watching the movie, holy shit. Was pretty blown away by the action and it might overtake the raid 2 for me (might). IMO it was one of the best depictions of a post-apocalypse I have ever seen put on screen. The amount of detail was crazy!

Just saw it today.

It's full-blown car chase action sequences. Love it.

The settings, the vehicles (dat spikes), the villain design are straight up insane (in a good way). Guitar man is HYPE.

Funnily enough, the beginning is the scene that's really stuck in my head.

Random thoughts: I'm not the only one who think Nic Cage can somehow fit into a role, right? :D

In a way, it's why he's so lovable.

Totally. While everyone is a cynic he tries to find the good in whatever he watches and plays. It's always interesting when he doesnt like something.

And in the case of Mad Max his praise is lining up with just about everyone else. I just wish everyone wasn't so quick to call it a "masterpiece". Nothing should be stamped that after 48 hours of release.

MBR

Banned
I seem to manage to pick the best movies when I go alone. No idea why no friends would go with me, it was awesome! I'd describe it as a Pacific Rim but without cheesiness, in terms of what someone should expect when going in; tons of great action, and a passable story.

McFeasting in Valhalla
, lol.

JB1981

Not to pick on you specifically, but over the years I have noticed that people tend to report that their theater shared their opinions. I think it's confirmation bias.

Yea I overheard the girl next to me say to her boyfriend "you owe me one." The guy to my left fell asleep. I saw at least 3 people walk out. As I was leaving I heard other people say "99%? Come on!" The audience reacted to nothing onscreen.

I predict a massive second weekend drop

Xenoboy

I watched it two days ago. All I can say is that I have few words. When I like a movie, I usuailly like to talk about it, quite a bit.
I didn't like this movie, I loved it. I can't describe why I feel like it, but I do. I'm definitely buying the blu-ray.

Dmax3901

Anyone got any cool artwork (official or otherwise) for this that would make a good wallpaper/cover photo? Google didn't provide much of worth.

The Chef

Yea I overheard the girl next to me say to her boyfriend "you owe me one." The guy to my left fell asleep. I saw at least 3 people walk out. As I was leaving I heard other people say "99%? Come on!" The audience reacted to nothing onscreen.

ts6JK.jpg

HowZatOZ

Banned
Only thing that needs to be said about this film is that it is insane. Non-stop action that gives John Wick a run for its money with gorgeous cinematography.

Also flame thrower guy is GOAT.

We were going to wait till Sunday morning or late Sunday night to go see this but that just isn't possible. The anticipation is killing us.

So, going against everything I stand for I just bought tickets for the 2D 8:15 PM show at one of the busiest theaters in Jersey..the fucking Garden State Plaza.

Last time I was there was for Furious 7 and I threatened the guy sitting next to me because his phone kept blinking like a strobe light. Along with that there was the girl who spent the first 30 minutes of the movie scrolling through Facebook and the guy who decided to stand up in the aisle for 5 minutes and block peoples view while he checked his text messages. I hope the R rating and this not being a mega movie keeps retards like that in the Avengers seats.

Crisco

Banned
That was amazing, no words to describe it. It was also the first movie I saw in D-BOX which added an extra level of intensity with vehicles and explosions.

Sounds like you're just not into the world that Miller created here, but the fact that you still enjoyed watching it kind of proves that it's not dumb (as a film). If they had replaced the characters and scenarios with ones more grounded in reality, but still with essentially the same action/choreography, I assume you would have enjoyed it a bit more?

Regardless, it's nice to see movies that take a risk every once in a while.
It's just a weird one for me. I'd be genuinely hard pressed to say it's an excellent movie. I quite like the general premise and the world for the most part. I just think large parts of it are really dumb. But I don't think that dumb necessarily makes for a bad film. It is what it is. Like I said, I enjoyed my time with it and if you take it for what it is I think there's enjoyment to be had. I'll never go out of my way to watch it again unless it happens to be on TV.

But as I said in the first post, there are other films which are action packed and basically just explosions from minute one that absolutely bored me to tears. This didn't.

TheMAK

Banned

Ducktales

Lynd7

The pacing and differences in the action sequences were really well done, nothing felt the same as the previous bit of action.

New002

I saw it last night with a group of friends and we all loved it. I think I may go see it again tomorrow and take my GF. She wants to see it, but mentioned waiting for it to come out on theaters. I think it's one of those films that should be seen in a theater setting though.

I can't shake the feeling that general audiences aren't going to be very receptive to this film. I don't know why. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Movie is not for everyone, I fucking hated AoU biggest pile of shit i have seen in years...

Two things you missed

1) the story Fury road was an excuse for a 2 hour car chase done really well and was never meant to be the focus, its a frame work for action movie

2) the order pushed its cinematic story as a big deal, when its story is terrible and a large portion of the game is dedicated to it that's why people give it flak

Comparing fury road to the order is laughable and smh at the people who agree with that idea. I can understand people not liking the film for being nothing but a 2 hour car chase or they wanted some more story substance or a variety of action scenes etc. Even still you have to admit the action and stunt work is extremely well done both in the way it was filmed and in its execution. In an era full of hard to follow shaky cam cgi fests to have a film we need more films like Fury Road to remind us what good action in films should be like.

I did admit that, as an action film, its a benchmark for all future films. The action is intense, satisfying, and as I said, it seems like every character/vehicle was designed with imense care and detail in a beautifull world. But sadly thats where it ends, it leaves many things to explore, the different societies that are introduced arent even explored at the slightest way, the war boys, the tumors and so on. The film focuses solely on an action scene, with no explanation of what happened after/before. And even the end,
the fanatic warboys that loved their praised leader, give in when they show up with the corpse, when in reality they would have killed max and his posse.

I did admit that, as an action film, its a benchmark for all future films. The action is intense, satisfying, and as I said, it seems like every character/vehicle was designed with imense care and detail in a beautifull world. But sadly thats where it ends, it leaves many things to explore, the different societies that are introduced arent even explored at the slightest way, the war boys, the tumors and so on. The film focuses solely on an action scene, with no explanation of what happened after/before. And even the end,
the fanatic warboys that loved their praised leader, give in when they show up with the corpse, when in reality they would have killed max and his posse.

Those weren't Warboys at the end, they were just regular people and little kids.

So does anyone know if there will be toys or figurines? I'd give my middle nut for a figure of the war wagon with the drums and guitar guy.

They say earlier that
only the kids will be in the citadel, all the warboys were on the convoys

But that's what so cool about the movie. It's very much a "day in the life" kind of set-up. Why waste time on needless exposition when the movie can tell its story through the visuals? The movie didn't hold your hand in explaining its setting. Plus the characters live in this world, they know these things. Do we really need that exposition?

I loved how it was a very focused film set in this world that feels so much bigger and complex than what we see on screen. It's like playing a GTA V or Red Dead Redemption. Are all the myriad details all that necessary for gameplay? No, but they add texture and depth and a lived-in atmosphere to the world.

JB1981

Movie made me appreciate what Vin Diesel has done with the Riddick character. He pulls off the silent protagonist role much better.

Acrylic7

I'm going to get some of that chrome mouth spray for when someone wants to fuck with me.

*sprays mouth* "The fuck you say about Speed Racer"!!!

DOWN

Banned
My theaters are playing it in 2D and 3D. Has anyone seen it in 3D? Is it good 3D? Or should I see it in 2D? Thanks!

I'd say when a movie is supposed to be bright like this one is, start with 2D to be safe. Haven't seen the 3D, but in this thread the response seemed to suggest it wasn't special and 2D is likely the best bet.

Just looked for tickets at the only LieMAX screen in town and all the english screenings for the next week are almost completely booked in advance.

Shiny and Chrome!

I thought I have seen it all with Dredd and The Avengers when it comes down to action but Mad Max is just on a whole other level. It is visceral, brutal, deadly and absolutely gorgeous in the way it has been shot.

It does not need a good story in order to be fully enjoyed. It is there and it is pretty straightforward and that is all it needs to be.

For anyone on the fence for this. Don't! Go see it. Now.

jett

D-Member
I need to watch this AGAIN. SOON. I need it. I need it badly.

The movie is made for diehard movie fans. People that have seen so many movies that crazy original shit like this given 200 million is the hoily grail of movie watching and they all know it.

A movie made for people that like movies. What a novel concept.

Cardon

Kinda been waiting ten years for this movie, back when it was supposed to have Mel and supposedly Heath Ledger as his son, and I loved Fury Road. Totally crazy in every way, amazing camera work, acting, and of course action. Really hope we see a sequel or a follow-up of some kind.

Also, has anyone picked up the Fury Road artbook? Just wondering if it's worth picking up in terms of the amount of art featured or bts info offered.

The Chef

I need to watch this AGAIN. SOON. I need it. I need it badly.

A movie made for people that like movies. What a novel concept.

Yeah man the movie got into my bones. All I have been thinking about is a re-watch.

It couldn't have been better timing. I saw Avengers AOU and and Fast 7 and thought they were good movies but I was starting to feel fatigued by the summer blockbuster. I really started to believe maybe I was outgrowing the direction hollywood was going in and then this came out.

George Miller is making me a believer again.

Side note question:
The tats they are giving max are all his vitals right? So he can be a proper blood donor?
Did they explain how the blood transfusions are saving the guys at their half life?

Top Bottom