• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Simo

Tonight's the night.

Edit ^ Brothers in Arms is such a killer track. I keep listening to it.

Track will get some use for the inevitable ShareFactory movies made from the game.

Speaking of which what a missed opportunity not releasing it this week with the movie. :(

Timeaisis

A little more than 24 hours from now.

Considering the 6 or 7 listens I've given to the soundtrack, I'm fairly certain I'm going to short circuit when I hear Brothers in Arms in context for the first time, because that track already works on me like gangbusters.

Lol I remember you saying you had tickets for Sunday, but I thought you'd have surely cracked by now.

Angry Fork

It's so annoying that NYC only offers the 3D IMAX version instead of 2D. Anyone know if there's one that shows 2D? I've looked on fandango and nothing.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
They only gave the 2D one single time slot in my city, shoved into late afternoon. Seeing this with my friend today @ that time which is a bit inconvenient as we prefer the early matinee times but both of us despise 3D.

I really hope this movie's worth it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yeah - it's good. The action is amazing.

But 98% good? Honestly, no. Not quite.

You miss the meaning of RT score.

98% RT score for Fury Riad means that 98% of reviewers liked it. Not how much they liked it, but just a percentage of how many of them liked it. Their personal scores [1-10] matter only for determining if they give the movie thumbs up or thumbs down.

Additionally RT offers "Average Rating" which looks at the average of individual review scores. Fury Road has veeery respectable 8.8/10.

Trey

Considering the 6 or 7 listens I've given to the soundtrack, I'm fairly certain I'm going to short circuit when I hear Brothers in Arms in context for the first time, because that track already works on me like gangbusters.

And, the soundtrack had some pretty amazing tracks.
Goosebump city....Brothers in Arms , especially at the 3:00 min mark.

ksWG1oG.jpg

A little more than 24 hours from now.

I love that damn track. It's excellent in the trailer, too.

I can't remember what scene it's in though. Can someone remind me?

Edit: WAIT NEVER MIND

Nosgotham

I don't get people who complain about the lack of story. The same people complain about the lack of lore in the Souls games.the world is built and the lore is there if you pay attention.

We don't need an explanation in detail about everything. Just pay attention, draw your conclusions and discuss it with others.

And for the people complaining that mad max is playing second fiddle to furiosa...this is her fight.this is her story that max got tangled up in. Sure it gave max an opportunity to change from someone only interested in surviving to someone looking for redemption. But it's still her fight.good on George miller for not dumbing down the experience

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I don't get people who complain about the lack of story. The same people complain about the lack of lore in the Souls games.the world is built and the lore is there if you pay attention.

We don't need an explanation in detail about everything. Just pay attention, draw your conclusions and discuss it with others.

And for the people complaining that mad max is playing second fiddle to furiosa...this is her fight.this is her story that max got tangled up in. Sure it gave max an opportunity to change from someone only interested in surviving to someone looking for redemption. But it's still her fight.good on George miller for not dumbing down the experience

I completely agree with this. The world-building in this movie is amazing. The story is mostly told visually rather than through expositional dialogue. I think this partially explains why I want to see it again almost immediately.

No sadly. No company picked up the license which is fucking bizarre considering how iconic the character is, not to mention how great the designs are. I mean NECA could of done a great job with just Max, Furiosa and Immortan Joe! I'm hoping Hot Toys will do it but who knows.

That art book though....hooooly shite is it packed to the brim with details. Concept art, storyboards, behind the scenes photos...everything!
Noooooo. That's so sad to hear. If anyone from NECA or anyone else is reading this I would pay an unreasonable amount of money for guitar guy

-griffy-

Banned
Hey, me and a friend went to go see Prometheus on the 2nd weekend just because we were so confused as to how it could have gone that way, we thought maybe something would jump out at us on the 2nd viewing that would put it right.

Of course, it didn't DO that, but still - it's not out of the ordinary to give something a 2nd shot if you think maybe there was just something you missed .
I went to see Revenge of the Sith a second time by myself because I was confused as to how it got the strong reviews and the good impressions online, and I wanted to be sure the lateness of the midnight showing hadn't just soured my viewing. Second viewing didn't change anything, but it did solidify my opinion.

I swear we get this every year, last year was Edge and two years ago was Pacific Rim.

Actually, WB gets this a lot do they?

To be fair, Warner are far more likely to fund crazy ass shit like those two movies/Mad Max than others. They seem to not mind going balls out crazy sometimes.

T

And, the soundtrack had some pretty amazing tracks.
Goosebump city....Brothers in Arms , especially at the 3:00 min mark.

Heard the track for the first time watching the movie.
It took me out of the movie then slammed me hard back into it.

Went to find the soundtrack as soon as I got home.
Had it on repeat at work the next day.

Should I see the original first?

You don't need to.

The anime lover in me wants a new Fist of The North Star now.... taking new inspirations from this film, like it did the original Mad Max

robotrock

Banned
It's so annoying that NYC only offers the 3D IMAX version instead of 2D. Anyone know if there's one that shows 2D? I've looked on fandango and nothing.

Hey man, at least you get the option to see it in an IMAX :(

They're still playing that darn superhero movie over here.

massoluk

Banned
Saw it last, I think it's entertaining film, but I don't see action film of forever as some are claiming. And Max didn't really do much in this movie, you may as well called the movie Calm and Composed Furiosa. Some insane visual though, especially in the first half. Definitely need to see this in the theater big ass screen.

SpaceHorror

Saw it last, I think it's entertaining film, but I don't see action film of forever as some are claiming. And Max didn't really do much in this movie, you may as well called the movie Calm and Composed Furiosa. Some insane visual though, especially in the first half. Definitely need to see this in the theater big ass screen.

I still don't understand how anyone could walk away thinking this. It is 50/50 Max and Furiosa. In fact, one of my favorite parts of the movie is their developing partnership and how well they begin to work together in the action scenes to kick ass.

Not to mention (major spoilers)
he's the one who kills the Bullet Farm dude single-handedly, buying them valuable time to escape the bog; convinces them to go back and take the Citadel (and then helps them do it); and saves Furiosa in the end (paying her back for the times she saved his ass).

I still don't understand how anyone could walk away thinking this. It is 50/50 Max and Furiosa. In fact, one of my favorite parts of the movie is their developing partnership and how well they begin to work together in the action scenes to kick ass.

he's the one who kills the Bullet Farm dude single-handedly, buying them valuable time to escape the bog; convinces them to go back and take the Citadel (and then helps them do it); and saves Furiosa in the end (paying her back for the times she saved his ass).
unrelated, but I love your choice of avatar. Top 10 movie of all-time for me, Sweet Smell of Success.

Actions speak louder than words

Unless your in a Hollywood movie.
Then all you do is talk
And if your not talking, then your not important or doing anything of importance.

Thank you George Miller for waking people up to the visual medium that is cinema

Absolutely fucking loved it. Theron and Hardy are brilliant leads, the action sequences are out of this world good and it's as nutty as a fruitcake. Hope it does better than people are predicting.

$16,770,000 Friday estimate. Doesn't look like it's going to hit $50m this weekend :(
In perspective though:
The $150 million R-rated George Miller actioner earned a solid $16.77 million on its opening day, including $3.7m worth of Thursday previews. For comparison among geek-centric genre films, Pacific Rim collected $3.6m worth of Thursday shows in July of 2013 and ended up with a $14.5m Friday gross.
Doing better than Pacific Rim

Calabi

I feel like there buying into a specific narrative being touted around. Max's screen time and amount of spoken word's isn't much different to Mad Max 2.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, Terminator (2) and Alien (Aliens) belong in that list. Avatar does not.

In terms of action movies, I'd wager it does. Avatar's war set piece is better than pretty much every single piece of shit shown in every comic book movie of the last five years put together.

In terms of action movies, I'd wager it does. Avatar's war set piece is better than pretty much every single piece of shit shown in every comic book movie of the last five years put together.

I can't even remember it so it can't have been that good. I do the remember the melodramatic music though.

Top Bottom