• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm really hoping this makes enough money in the long run. It's really important for high budget R rated action movies that it does. We could be getting more if this is a success. If it doesn't, we'll be stuck with watered down, PG-13, which we have been for years now. I still can't forgive them for how fucked up Die Hard turned, script inadequacies and PG-13 rating both acted as culprits.

I'm really hoping this makes enough money in the long run. It's really important for high budget R rated action movies that it does. We could be getting more if this is a success. If it doesn't, we'll be stuck with watered down, PG-13, which we have been for years now. I still can't forgive them for how fucked up Die Hard turned, script inadequacies and PG-13 rating both acted as culprits.
I mean, it's Fox though so.... Expected? I too am wishing for the same success to bolster R rated action films, lord it'd be blessing in a sea of Expendables sequels.

jett

D-Member
Is that really saying much though?

Probably not, with the state of this genre being what it is. :p But it is an awesome sequence, 20 minutes of expertly made nonstop action.

If some of you people don't even remember it, then sucks to be you.

Raptor

A little more than 24 hours from now.

Considering the 6 or 7 listens I've given to the soundtrack, I'm fairly certain I'm going to short circuit when I hear Brothers in Arms in context for the first time, because that track already works on me like gangbusters.

Tonight's the night.

Edit ^ Brothers in Arms is such a killer track. I keep listening to it.

ksWG1oG.jpg
My brothers in arms!!

Fucking track is epic as hell and one of the best from recent memory, such a beautifull track.

RangerX

Banned
Ok I just got back. That is one of the greatest action films I have ever seen. Its poetic in the sheer scale and co-ordination of what they pull off in this film. I felt like I had my face blasted off. Theron, Hardy and Hoult did great job too. I really liked the three of them. Outstanding cinematography and design. I really REALLY want to see it again.

kaskade

I'm usually one to avoid movies opening weekend if I can but I feel like even though we are going crazy a vast majority of people don't really care. They'll probably be seeing pitch perfect 2.

Melville

Probably been asked a lot in this thread but quick question: I've never seen a Mad Max movie before, will I still enjoy this?

Hamlet

Reviews are better than both, right? Though the B+ its getting from audiences makes it a bit harder to guess the legs

Yep reviews are much much higher than those two. Also Prompto pointed out in the boxoffice thread that Kingsman Secret Service also got a B+ cinemascore and that ended up having great legs.

Probably been asked a lot in this thread but quick question: I've never seen a Mad Max movie before, will I still enjoy this?
Yep. Perfectly fine to see this without having seen the others.

This is maybe the most single repeated question in this thread, which is funny considering the answer to it is bolded smack dab in the middle of the OP. You don't even have to read the thread. Just its first post.

But then again, the thread is hurtling along like a war rig, so I understand why people assume there's zero point in actually reading anything going farther back than the last page. It likely seems a tangled, impenetrable wasteland of disconnected conversations.

Anyway: you don't need to know anything about Mad Max before going into the film. The film will tell you what you need to know as it goes along.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I can't believe this movie got made. How did this happen?
I'm just sitting here trying understand.

It's a heavy metal action concert,

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.

Probably. Old school action movie with style. Maybe some background into the older ones gives you an extra boost in the small nods here and there but it isn't really becessary.

I really liked this movie.

You definitely don't need to have seen the other movies to enjoy this.

That said, I'd recommend at least watching the first two before going into this. Knowing Max's backstory helps fill in a lot of the blanks that Fury Road leaves empty (wisely, in my opinion). But it's not an absolute necessity.

Melville

Yep. Perfectly fine to see this without having seen the others.

This is maybe the most single repeated question in this thread, which is funny considering the answer to it is bolded smack dab in the middle of the OP. You don't even have to read the thread. Just its first post.

But then again, the thread is hurtling along like a war rig, so I understand why people assume there's zero point in actually reading anything going farther back than the last page. It likely seems a tangled, impenetrable wasteland of disconnected conversations.

Anyway: you don't need to know anything about Mad Max before going into the film. The film will tell you what you need to know as it goes along.

Yes, sorry about that. I just like to know as little as possible about a movie when I can, and that includes not seeing too much visuals. Anyway, thanks for the answer!

There's something about the film that isn't visceral enough in its action...as if they changed it from pg13 to R at the last minute...and it prevents the film from having a certain rawness that it needs. Hard to explain.

Peff

Just came back from watching it. Damn. I honestly can't understand how a movie like this came out in 2015 so out of the blue... the colours, the world building, the wide shots, the way the music and visuals combine, the pitch-perfect pacing... just how did this happen? I hope they have a George Miller commentary track and a making of feature in the Blu-Ray.

Phew.

JB1981

Weird that no one is talking about some of the shoddy CGI back drops in this movie. Lots of muddy looking CGI composting

kinggroin

Banned
What made this R rated? Not seeing anything in it that wouldn't just be fine in PG-13 territory.

Weird that no one is talking about some of the shoddy CGI back drops in this movie. Lots of muddy looking CGI composting

You'd have to really not care for the film to want to discuss minor compositing issues. Especially since it was just released yesterday for most, and many are still on a high.

So no. Not weird.

sCHOCOLATE

Just saw it.
Try to imagine opening the hood of a Mustang 5.0 V8.
Climbing into the exhaust manifold [as impossible as that might be].
Then having a buddy start the engine, then flooring it for almost two hours.

Post-apocalyptic automotive chaos the likes of which I've never seen.

Not a frame wasted.
Near non-stop carnage.
A soundtrack that literally fuels the action [and works remarkably well in conjunction with the visual of the truck with the wall of speakers and the dude on the flame-throwing guitar].

I can't believe Miller and crew pulled it off. But they did.
And this movie deserves the review scores and praise.

Visual masterpiece.

Onyar

Some friends watched it yesterday and said it's ubershit. I don't know if trust you neogaf but may give the movie a change.

gdt

Holy hell this movie was amazing. Everything about it was perfect basically. The visuals are jaw dropping and the music is right there with it.

kinggroin

Banned
I love how the nux and slit
(or whatever his name was) competitiveness continues to carry over into the "must spit faster" scene to keep the
vehicles moving fast.

JB1981

What made this R rated? Not seeing anything in it that wouldn't just be fine in PG-13 territory.

You'd have to really not care for the film to want to discuss minor compositing issues. Especially since it was just released yesterday for most, and many are still on a high.

So no. Not weird.

This movie is beyond reproach. Everything about it is perfect

Top Bottom