• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

kinggroin

Banned
This movie is beyond reproach. Everything about it is perfect

Hahaha, oh my lord. You are salty as fuck aren't you? If it weren't for the fact that you're arriving at these emotions because you have reading comprehension problems and extrapolate wrongly as a result, I'd feel sorry for you.

This movie..
104946-dayum-dayum-dayum-gif-Imgur-da-ROVb.gif

my stomach can't stand 3d and that was the only way I was going to be able to see it, but it was worth it.

NotLiquid

Just got home from the theater. It definitely deserves all the praise it got in terms of visual design, insanity and pure spectacle. As a sucker for world building I loved how defined everything about the movie was with subtle show over tell rather than constantly informing through haphazard dialogue. There were multiple times throughout the movie that I expected it to tell me something about it's universe but had the restraint not to and let the audience suss out the details through common sense and observation. I love the strides it took in terms of gender depiction and overall it was a riot.

I can't say for sure that it's the best movie I'll see all year but it was a hell of a time. I didn't expect to be in the theaters for it but yeah, it was worth it. I get the sense that I'll be able to decide if I loved it or if I merely enjoyed it after repeated viewings.

I've been trying build my own HT setup with projectors and 7.1 speakers etc for years but every time the project gets put off for one reason or another. You know what, this might actually give me the needed push to finish that project before the bluray comes out, because I'm certainly not gonna watch it on 42' tv with puny 2.1 speakers.

duckroll

What made this R rated? Not seeing anything in it that wouldn't just be fine in PG-13 territory.

I don't think anything specifically "made" it R-rated. The intent was always that they were making a R-rated film for adults, and the tone is very much there. They could probably have requested for guidance from MPAA on what to trim to get a PG-13 rating pretty easily, but personally I think it is far more responsible to take the natural rating given to the film, since it was the film they wanted to make.

Maybe not super smart for business, but it's how ratings should be. This could be rated PG-13 and I still wouldn't feel it is suitable for younger audiences.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't think anything specifically "made" it R-rated. The intent was always that they were making a R-rated film for adults, and the tone is very much there. They could probably have requested for guidance from MPAA on what to trim to get a PG-13 rating pretty easily, but personally I think it is far more responsible to take the natural rating given to the film, since it was the film they wanted to make.

Maybe not super smart for business, but it's how ratings should be. This could be rated PG-13 and I still wouldn't feel it is suitable for younger audiences.

Fair enough. I wouldn't want compromise either, just legit trying to feel out how it landed on that rating.

Serick

Married Member
Well I just went to see this with 2 Mad Max fans and 2 people who have never seen it before (I've never seen a Mad Max prior). Every single one of us loved the movie.

I have no complaints, I immediately wanted to watch it again. Fantastic movie, already pre-ordered the blu-ray.

Lebron

Just came back from seeing it in 3D DBOX. Holy shit. It's rare I've have been legit blown away by a movie, but this was one of those occasions. First time I saw Avatar 3D, blown away. First time I saw Gravity in Imax, blown away. First time I saw Episode 1(I know) as a kid with my dad on opening day, blown away. Now I can add Mad Max to that list.

The 3D was a throw away, but the Dbox + the fucking awesome experience George crafted + the amazing score Junkie XL composed left me damn near speechless. I have to see it again. Totally seeing Star Wars with the Dbox, btw.

Oh and Charlize, what else can be said that already hasn't.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Oh my fucking God!!!!!! This movie man...wow! I need to process what I've just seen. Best movie I've seen in 2015 easily. Me and my wife want to go back to theater right now and watch it again lol!

tha_devil

Yeah - it's good. The action is amazing.

But 98% good? Honestly, no. Not quite.

Agreed.

I just saw it.

I was super hyped.

And although the movie was good, it did not blow me away.

The action was great, but the world buidling could be better (would like to see a prequal how the world got to this state, more background about Max).

Well that was fucking incredible.... at one point during the film the score and action on screen gave me goosebumps. It was perfect.

As far as action films goes it doesn't get much better then what I just witnessed.

Agreed.

I just saw it.

I was super hyped.

The action was great, but the world buidling could be better (would like to see a prequal how the world got to this state, more background about Max).
Have you seen the other Mad Max movies?

Katori

That was a masterpiece. I don't need to echo anyone else's thoughts here, this movie will be discussed and dissected by the common man as well as the critic for years to come. I wouldn't have wanted to miss a frame, and I'm glad that I didn't. Will probably see it again in IMAX if it plays anywhere in the Atlanta area...I haven't seen a movie in theaters more than once since Avatar (which this beats over the head with a flamethrower guitar).

Agreed.

I just saw it.

I was super hyped.

This is the third movie is a series of three. Check out the other two Mad Max movies for more background information.

Fury451

Banned
This was a phenomenal movie. Miller brought superb filmmaking skills to this. The action was relentless, chaotic, but understandable, and we got some great characters that didn't need tons of exposition to understand.

Melon Husk

Is this movie sickeningly violent? Like, disturbingly so?

No. Fury Road has no time for extreme close-ups. It only shows the consequences of actions but doen't feast on them. Unlike sanitized action where everyone bleeds outside the camera shot. It's pretty near Raiders Of The Lost Ark PG-13.
No melty faces

spookyfish

I'm a huge Mel as Max fan, and cannot stand Tom Hardy. I was bitter about this film from Day 1.

A friend talked me into seeing it, "we haven't seen a Mad Max film in 30 years, etc." Reluctantly, I went.

First, I didn't know anyone made movies like this anymore. Secondly, it was the best film I've seen in a theater in years.

It doesn't change my opinion of Hardy; he's the wrong choice for Max and this was clearly Theron's movie.

I'll see it again, and it ranks up there with The Road Warrior to me. It is every bit the movie people are saying it is.

(For those who want to tell me how wrong I am and how great Hardy is; I don't care. It's just how opinions work, like I'm sure Rebel Wilson has some fans out there ... Somewhere.)

Corpsepyre

Banned
Does the guitar guy have a decent presence? Also, does he actually play tunes or is it just him seen with the rest, with the score playing?

Peff

That reminds me, the way the guitar in the soundtrack becomes diegetic as the camera gets close to him is so cool.

Someone help me.

Mad Max, Avengers, or Faster and Furioser 7.

Mad Max has a guy shredding a guitar on a vehicle for most of the movie. It's an intense film with some of the best action and acting in a blockbuster since T2. Oh and the cinematography is amazing too.

Avengers is more Marvel crap but this time they make fun of Cap for 2 and 1/2 hours and the action sucks in it. Shitty CG too. Vision is cool though.

FF7 is a good action flick.

Oh did I forget that the guitar guy in Mad Max can also use his guitar as a flamethrower? A FUCKING FLAME THROWING GUITAR. Like bro, you'll never experience that shit in a movie again. That isn't even the craziest thing in the film.

WHY ARE YOU NOT BUYING A TICKET TO MAD MAX RIGHT NOW? You'll never see anything this awesome in a theater again.

Go watch MAD MAX.

Metal-Geo

Does the guitar guy have a decent presence? Also, does he actually play tunes or is it just him seen with the rest, with the score playing?
His guitar
smoothly blends into the music. Can be even heard in one or two tracks on the soundtrack!
His first appearance gave me goosebumps... During both viewings.

Edit: this is what I get for typing on mobile. Beaten a few times already!

Top Bottom