• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Film is a visual medium first and foremost.

FURY ROAD boasting sparse dialogue doesn't mean it's bereft of a story. Before sound, movies were still able to convey stories. It chooses to go about its storytelling in a different way that harks back to the silent era of film.

And that is perfectly fine. Just not for me.

R-User!

Raiders was PG.

That's true, but the PG-13 rating only began in 1984, so really, some elements of Raiders night have caused it to garner a PG13 rating.

Some PG before the 13 rating was basically sometimes actually contained content more suitable for teenagers and not young children.

My son seems to be doing fine post MMFR; no noticeable changes in behavior. Will continue to monitor.

R-User!

And that is perfectly fine. Just not for me.

I'd say that it's more of a case of it being that your not for it; the difference being that the film is for everyone to consume: by not everyone can attach themselves to the experience; which is because you (your tastes and desires) aren't compatible with the film.

Why should anyone need me to analyze the techniques that went into each particular scene I thought looked bad, as if they know?

So they know that you understand what it is you saw, and that you have some sort of knowledge as to what you're talking about.

Here's a better example: The reason you're getting the pushback you're getting, as opposed to say, the pushback that Groovy got earlier, or the lack of pushback that High Def Jeff got at the top of the page, is because they're expressing their opinions in ways that are not only understandable, but explained and backed up with obvious thought and knowledge. People might disagree with them, but it's at least understood there's a basic understanding of the movie, and movies in general, and so they can engage in good faith.

You consistently admit you don't really know what you're talking about or why you feel the way you feel, and you appear to be handwaving examples as to why those complaints don't seem to make any sense on the surface. (e.g. "nice you can quote IMDB trivia") And I'm saying it's more than likely that's causing the responses to your posts. Not just the opinions themselves.

I'd say that it's more of a case of it being that your not for it; the difference being that the film is for everyone to consume: by not everyone can attach themselves to the experience; which is because you (your tastes and desires) aren't compatible with the film.

Sure

Lebron

Going to see it in Dbox again today. I couldn't keep away.

Y8pulS3.jpg

Munin

the idea of christopher nolan directing a mad max film excites me

I would be so looking forward to that. Imagine the film full of voiceovers explaining absolutely everything, complemented by the main characters explaining everything again in stilted dialogue.

Ridley327

I can see all the cuts during the car chases to guys pointing out the obvious visual information now.

"IS THAT A GUITAR PLAYER? BOY, WE'RE IN FOR IT NOW!"
"ARE THOSE GUYS ON POLES? THAT CAN'T BE GOOD!"
"DID YOU SEE THAT CAR FLIP? I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING!"

Nibel

Hour 1: protagonist going through tutorials of how to ride a car and what its physical behaviour is
Hour 2: action begins, some plotholes in-between but the loud noises that are sold to you as 'soundtrack' don't let you think very much
Hour 3: the plot is getting solved, everything is building towards a big twist of course since only twists are a valid method of good storytelling

After the movie: you think of yourself as a smart person because you were able to follow such a convoluted plot and ignore the fact that the director had to drip every piece of information to you because in this day and age everything has to work for everyone and nothing is left to the own human fantasy because we pay to get some fantasy knawmsaying

A year later: "Eh that movie wasn't so great at all tbh"

phaonaut

So the 3d in this is good? I'm seeing this today and my company is a 3D nut

I saw it in 3d twice, the first on a smaller (typical screen) and the second time on a Mega screen (70'x50'). On the first screen 3d was barely noticeable and didn't add much, but on the larger Mega screen the 3d effect while more subtle than most films was really nice.

Basically, depends on the size of the screen you are viewing it on. All my opinion of course.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I admit I almost feel asleep as well not because of the movie but because of the chairs we had.

VIP seats/showings ? I love going to the cinema screenings with those big leather chairs but I've nearly fallen asleep a few times whilst sitting in them. Well the last time was The Dark Knight Rises but I really didn't like that film at all.

So they know that you understand what it is you saw, and that you have some sort of knowledge as to what you're talking about.

Here's a better example: The reason you're getting the pushback you're getting, as opposed to say, the pushback that Groovy got earlier, or the lack of pushback that High Def Jeff got at the top of the page, is because they're expressing their opinions in ways that are not only understandable, but explained and backed up with obvious thought and knowledge. People might disagree with them, but it's at least understood there's a basic understanding of the movie, and movies in general, and so they can engage in good faith.

You consistently admit you don't really know what you're talking about or why you feel the way you feel, and you appear to be handwaving examples as to why those complaints don't seem to make any sense on the surface. (e.g. "nice you can quote IMDB trivia") And I'm saying it's more than likely that's causing the responses to your posts. Not just the opinions themselves.

I've read their posts, and they don't explain it in any more detail. And they do seem to have gotten pushbacks. Their justifications are very general as well. That is fine, it's better that than someone try to pretend they understand everything that goes into a movie. Especially technical stuff.

I literally gave examples of scenes, said why it looked off. What more is needed?

Example: Sandstorm chase looked like the background is a painting slapped into the scene, making it look like obvious green screen to me and it just doesn't blend in properly. Now this is the same issue throughout the movie for me, this particular scene being the worst offender as far as I can remember. I don't need to mention every scene do I? Now what about the above said isn't clear enough? Do you want me to research exactly what they did to those scenes post production? Like I don't know what else to say lol....

Jarrod38

VIP seats/showings ? I love going to the cinema screenings with those big leather chairs but I've nearly fallen asleep a few times whilst sitting in them. Well the last time was The Dark Knight Rises but I really didn't like that film at all.

Yep.

Simo

Going to see it in Dbox again today. I couldn't keep away.

Y8pulS3.jpg

D-Box was the best viewing experience I had not only with this film but any in a long time. It worked perfectly with the action on screen and I can't wait go back...if it wasn't a 2 hour roundtrip and will likely be kicked out of those showings before the end of the next weekend. =/

Nibel

Nobody has a issue with somebody not liking the movie and at this point I guess nobody knows what you are trying to achieve right now, lol

Like, coming in here with a 'edgy' shitpost and now paddling back and showing that you are capable of writing cohesive sentences and now wondering what people are asking for when nobody is asking for anything since nobody cares anymore after your initial first post

No frontin' my dude; you can dislike the movie but don't expect people trying to care for your issues, especially when they are based on half-truths
wtzgU.gif

Blader

Those seats are so good. I'm actually seeing Mad Max in a theater like that tonight.

Saw it this morning

6c94707b3539478b30d8b75bfcbec11b.gif

What a lovely day, indeed!

BEST action movie I have seen since Matrix 1999

It was AMAZING seriously if any but any folks here or lurkers have doubts, GO SEE THIS MOVIE RIGHT AWAY.
Its that good seriously is was truly a GOD tier movie.

Crisco

Banned
Seriously dudes, there's no point in trying to convince the guy he should like something he doesn't. You can't please everyone, there are people out there who don't like bacon!

Chiggs

Gold Member
I wish Max had more character development. That sort of thing is important in a movie like this. Also, I read a Syd Field screenwriting book that said it's important.

Nobody has a issue with somebody not liking the movie and at this point I guess nobody knows what you are trying to achieve right now, lol

Like, coming in here with a 'edgy' shitpost and now paddling back and showing that you are capable of writing cohesive sentences and now wondering what people are asking for when nobody is asking for anything since nobody cares anymore after your initial first post

No frontin' my dude; you can dislike the movie but don't expect people trying to care for your issues, especially when they are based on half-truths
wtzgU.gif

I guess you just skipped the last few pages then. Seems like they all care very much about why I did not like the film.

What doesn't make sense about any of my posts? I may have started off general, but never thought I would need to explain myself this much.

Also, you're claiming I am basing my opinions on "half-truths" with no explanation whatsoever. So, what isn't true about anything I've said?

Jonm1010

Banned
I've read their posts, and they don't explain it in any more detail. And they do seem to have gotten pushbacks. Their justifications are very general as well. That is fine, it's better that than someone try to pretend they understand everything that goes into a movie. Especially technical stuff.

I literally gave examples of scenes, said why it looked off. What more is needed?

Example: Sandstorm chase looked like the background is a painting slapped into the scene, making it look like obvious green screen to me and it just doesn't blend in properly. Now this is the same issue throughout the movie for me, this particular scene being the worst offender as far as I can remember. I don't need to mention every scene do I? Now what about the above said isn't clear enough? Do you want me to research exactly what they did to those scenes post production? Like I don't know what else to say lol....

You throw out blanket generalized criticisms like "poorly developed story" but do nothing to actually substantiate that.

It is one thing to say I didn't like the story or I didn't think the story carried weight with me or I didn't like the way they developed the story on a personal level. But saying the story was poorly developed is a very objective metric we can look at and parse out whether that is factually true through careful scrutiny and that criticism just flat out doesn't hold up. I'm not going to go line by line because this isn't the spoiler thread but you are objectively wrong here. From a technical standpoint the story is completely developed. It may not explicitly spell out every motivation and plot point with waves of exposition but everything the story needs to flow is presented to the audience and it has a fully formed and structured story arc.

So seeing someone that makes claims like that sort of diminishes the credibility of the speaker. It begins to read like someone that was incompatible with the movie on a personal level trying to spitball ad hoc technical justifications after the fact to sound righteous in their stance against the film.

By all means you are free to dislike the film, but once you start crossing the line of stating things that go against objective aspects of the film, you are going to get push back.

DukeBobby

Just finished watching it.

Not quite the action masterpiece and game-changer I was expecting, but it was still a very, very enjoyable flick and better than 90% of the shite out there. The action sequences were pretty much faultless, but the final one felt a bit anticlimactic. The big two sequences before it were more exciting.

Hardy was a bit meh. God knows what accent he was trying to do. It was all over the place. Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult were easily the best two in the film.

The Raid 1 & 2 are still the kings of modern action cinema, in my opinion. Also, it might be the nostalgia talking, but I still think Mad Max 2 is the better film. And the first one still has the best villain. 3, well, it's alright I guess. 2>4>1>3

Overall, highly recommended. Definitely a great experience.

Veelk

Banned
I haven't read the thread, so I apologize if this has been asked already. I haven't seen the old mad max trilogy, but I have all the movies available to watch. But my friend is inviting me to watch the new one. Should I see the old ones first or can I just see the new one blind?

Game4life

Banned
Does Brothers in Arms soundtrack get appropriate time in the movie? Really love that track! Seeing the movie next week! And how is the soundtrack in general apart from that track?

Hamlet

I haven't read the thread, so I apologize if this has been asked already. I haven't seen the old mad max trilogy, but I have all the movies available to watch. But my friend is inviting me to watch the new one. Should I see the old ones first or can I just see the new one blind?

Perfectly fine to see this without having seen the others. Still if you have them on hand you should still give a watch of Mad Max 2 at least.

phaonaut

Just go see the new one, it stands on its own.

You throw out blanket generalized criticisms like "poorly developed story" but do nothing to actually substantiate that.

It is one thing to say I didn't like the story or I didn't think the story carried weight with me or I didn't like the way they developed the story on a personal level. But saying the story was poorly developed is a very objective metric we can look at and parse out whether that is factually true through careful scrutiny and that criticism just flat out doesn't hold up. I'm not going to go line by line because this isn't the spoiler thread but you are objectively wrong here. From a technical standpoint the story is completely developed. It may not explicitly spell out every motivation and plot point with waves of exposition but everything the story needs to flow is presented to the audience and it has a fully formed and structured story arc.

So seeing someone that makes claims like that sort of diminishes the credibility of the speaker. It begins to read like someone that was incompatible with the movie on a personal level trying to spitball ad hoc technical justifications to sound righteous in their stance against the film.

By all means you are free to dislike the film, but once you start crossing the line of stating things that go against objective aspects of the film, you are going to get push back.

Alright, I will simplify everything I've said because it seems like people have a hard time understanding why I thought the movie was bad without detailing every single issue I have. The movie was BBOOORRINNNGG. One long chase scene stretched into a 2 hour snooze fest.

I said the same things about Gravity, when everyone was riding the hype train. All claiming the same damn things about the movie "mind blowing" bla bla bla. I said the same general things about that movie (no story , boring etc). Well now it seems a lot more people are considering it to be one of the most overrated movies. That is what I think will happen with this film.

Just a long boring chase, with ooohh so beautiful explosions

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I never realised that the same guy who plays Immortan Joe in this also played ToeCutter in the original Mad Max. That's pretty damn cool.

Trey

Does Brothers in Arms soundtrack get appropriate time in the movie? Really love that track! Seeing the movie next week! And how is the soundtrack in general apart from that track?

It does. Honestly, I don't think it could have been used any better. The setpiece BiA underscores is fantastic fun.

And the soundtrack itself is well integrated, especially the guitar.

firelogic

Alright, I will simplify everything I've said because it seems like people have a hard time understanding why I thought the movie was bad without detailing every single issue I have. The movie was BBOOORRINNNGG. One long chase scene stretched into a 2 hour snooze fest.

I said the same things about Gravity, when everyone was riding the hype train. All claiming the same damn things about the movie "mind blowing" bla bla bla. I said the same general things about that movie (no story , boring etc). Well now it seems a lot more people are considering it to be one of the most overrated movies. That is what I think will happen with this film.

Just a long boring chase, with ooohh so beautiful explosions

Unlike a movie like Transformers Age of Extinction where you're just praying for the action deluge to end, Fury Road did it right. Each sequence was shot with steady camera work and while it gave a feeling of chaos and intensity with a frenetic pace, the audience could see every shot and place every person and object in the world in relation to each other. And the most important thing Fury Road achieved was that despite the audience knowing that at the very least Max would survive as he's the main character, Miller made it feel like any of the characters could die at any time. He made the audience feel like there were genuine stakes involved. That's the hallmark of shooting great action scenes. Being able to convey intensity and drama and make the viewer worry that the players may not survive, even though your brain is telling you, "of course they will!"

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

I have never seen the old ones. It stands on its own.

Top Bottom