• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Irnbru

Alright, I will simplify everything I've said because it seems like people have a hard time understanding why I thought the movie was bad without detailing every single issue I have. The movie was BBOOORRINNNGG. One long chase scene stretched into a 2 hour snooze fest.

I said the same things about Gravity, when everyone was riding the hype train. All claiming the same damn things about the movie "mind blowing" bla bla bla. I said the same general things about that movie (no story , boring etc). Well now it seems a lot more people are considering it to be one of the most overrated movies. That is what I think will happen with this film.

Just a long boring chase, with ooohh so beautiful explosions

Sounds like someone decided to drive down the
salt flats

but I still think Mad Max 2 is the better film. And the first one still has the best villain. 3, well, it's alright I guess. 2>4>1>3

I agree with this, I still feel like Mad Max 2 is the better film. At least it resonated with me better. But Fury Road is no slouch, and it is a finely tuned movie with a lot of creative vision, some really fantastic stunt work and it has a lot of small and wonderful details in it.

I would rank it higher than Mad Max 1 or 3, but lower than Mad Max 2. The original Mad Max is still a fine movie in its own right too, but I always felt that its inherently low budget production values always prevented me from ranking it higher. The sound quality was always my biggest complaint with this movie. Mad Max 2 was a nice sweet spot for me, and Thunderdome has always been kind of weird.

Kimosabae

Banned
Considerably less hype now that I've seen this compared favorably to John Wick and Dredd. Not that those movies are bad, but that craters expectations in the context of comments made in this thread for sure.

Game4life

Banned
Hell
fucking
yes

It does. Honestly, I don't think it could have been used any better. The setpiece BiA underscores is fantastic fun.

And the soundtrack itself is well integrated, especially the guitar.

This is good to hear! Cant freaking wait!

Considerably less hype now that I've seen this compared favorably to John Wick and Dredd. Not that those movies are bad, but that craters expectations in the context of comments made in this thread for sure.

Well both those movies were amazing considering what they did with their budgets and I would take them over any of the mediocre action blockbusters we get these days. To see a big budget R rated movie made with similar sensibilities is a great thing. Why would it reduce your hype? In any case keeping hype levels down can only be a good thing.

I've read their posts, and they don't explain it in any more detail. And they do seem to have gotten pushbacks. Their justifications are very general as well. That is fine, it's better that than someone try to pretend they understand everything that goes into a movie. Especially technical stuff.

I literally gave examples of scenes, said why it looked off. What more is needed?

Example: Sandstorm chase looked like the background is a painting slapped into the scene, making it look like obvious green screen to me and it just doesn't blend in properly. Now this is the same issue throughout the movie for me, this particular scene being the worst offender as far as I can remember. I don't need to mention every scene do I? Now what about the above said isn't clear enough? Do you want me to research exactly what they did to those scenes post production? Like I don't know what else to say lol....
Some of the best movies have very obvious special effects.

Jonm1010

Banned
Alright, I will simplify everything I've said because it seems like people have a hard time understanding why I thought the movie was bad without detailing every single issue I have. The movie was BBOOORRINNNGG. One long chase scene stretched into a 2 hour snooze fest.

I said the same things about Gravity, when everyone was riding the hype train. All claiming the same damn things about the movie "mind blowing" bla bla bla. I said the same general things about that movie (no story , boring etc). Well now it seems a lot more people are considering it to be one of the most overrated movies. That is what I think will happen with this film.

Simplifying your opinion isn't the problem, it's the baseless generalized statements you posted in some of your criticisms.

Just stick to the part where you found it boring and leave out the "history will vindicate me about my opinion" crap.

Once you pull in the appeals to the majority and add in a smugness that your opinion is ahead of its time and will be exonerated by history, you begin to cross over into the territory of underhandedly insulting those that don't agree with your opinions.

You wonder why people are piling on you and not others criticizing the movie? Look no further then this post.

Ichi_

Neo Member
Hope it does good this weekend, I went to a 3-D screen on Saturday and besides my wife, there was one other person in the entire theater. Lot of people going to see that pitch perfect movie at least from what I heard when I was getting my tickets. Hopefully just had to do with my local theater and the timing (5:30) it was a great movie, probably the best action movie I have seen in a very long time.

ronito

Rare enough, a movie that exceeds the hype.

edit: my wife and I saw a late showing the theatre was like 3/4ths full. So at least there it looks like it's doing rather well.

Simplifying your opinion isn't the problem, it's the baseless generalized statements you posted in some of your criticisms.

Just stick to the part where you found it boring and leave out the "history will vindicate me about my opinion" crap.

Once you pull in the appeals to the majority and add in a smugness that your opinion is ahead of its time and will be exonerated by history, you begin to cross over into the territory of underhandedly insulting those that don't agree with your opinions.

You wonder why people are piling on you and not others criticizing the movie? Look no further then this post.

There's no reason for anyone to be insulted. Either you like it or you don't...

Jonm1010

Banned
There's no reason for anyone to be insulted. Either you like it or you don't...

When you underhandedly insult others opinions by suggesting your opinion will be vindicated by history and there's will not, it certainly is insulting.

I'm not sure anyone likes that sort of passive aggressiveness but maybe you hang out with a different crowd.

I love John Wick and Dredd, but this movie is entirely a different kind of action. Maybe the only other similarity is a muted protagonist.

IronRinn

Woke up early today to see it in faux IMA 3D because I couldn't wait anymore. Huge theater with 16 people, including me and my girlfriend.

It was incredible. I can't believe I didn't manage to overhype myself. Fucking hell.

Slixshot

Banned
When did he do that? Edit never mind. Just saw an article.

Tom Hardy apologizing to Miller.Heartfelt stuff. You can tell everyone had a fucking nightmare making this.

450 hours of footage sounds like it could drive a guy... Mad...

It+would+be+a+real+buzz+kill+_4438a08f94bde474809656e635847220.gif

SkylineRKR

Nolan is a great director that just chases a different kind of action movie. TDK is still the most impressive piece of film I've seen in cinema. Ofcourse Ledger carried it big time, but god damn.

I'd like to see Miller make a Die Hard 6 though. That franchise needs to go back to the roots. Real stunts, no CG and a setting where things just happen and McClane happens to be.

firelogic

Nolan is a great director that just chases a different kind of action movie. TDK is still the most impressive piece of film I've seen in cinema. Ofcourse Ledger carried it big time, but god damn.

I'd like to see Miller make a Die Hard 6 though. That franchise needs to go back to the roots. Real stunts, no CG and a setting where things just happen and McClane happens to be.

I think the franchise that would best serve having George Miller at the helm is "Fist of the North Star."

Blader

Bruce Willis is ghost directing that franchise and has the worst ideas about it. When Die Hard 6 happens it will be as bad as the last two.

SkylineRKR

It felt to me that Bruce is just going through the motions and collecting his paycheck. Especially in 5 he was so fucking boring. I saw that piece of shit in cinema. The only plus it has over its prequel is that the gore was back.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The last one was terrible (being kind with that too) but I really liked Live Free just fine.

Live Free was a shell of a Die Hard film, fuck all Die Hard about it. Plus Timothy Olyphant is one of the worst 'enemies' of the franchise - you go from Hans Gruber, Colonel Stewart and Simon Gruber to a moaning hacker.

"McClane just stooooop! Nooooooooo"

I will admit A Good Day To Die Hard is much, muuuuch worse but let's not pretend Live Free.....is a good Die Hard flick either.

Ugh, fucking ugh. Fuck Live Free and Die Hard, fuck A Good Day To Die Hard and especially fuck Bruce Willis.

*rant over*

Apologies for the huge rant and it's not intended to be a rant at you brandonh83. Being a huge Die Hard fan and a huge fan of the first 3 going from those to the recent ones....yeah. It leaves me furious just thinking about it and how Bruce Willis just doesn't care anymore

SkylineRKR

I have the BR collection of DH. The first is still so, so fucking good.

But even the somewhat disliked second one... cut Harlin some slack. That movie has the true Die Hard feel, it was just bigger and more OTT. He did a far better job than Wiseman and Moore did.

Olyphant nearly ruined Live Free, as I don't think its a bad movie per se.

For me its 1>3>2>4>my own ass>5

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I never saw DH5 (and never will). After the 4th, I knew I didn't need to.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
2 gets a lot of a shit for being similar to 1 storyline wise but I don't mind that and I love it just as much as 1. Harlins stages many great action scenes (Annex Skywalk for instance) and I think he's generally a very underrated action director, Bruce Willis is at the top of his game as the wonderfully sweary McClane and the villains are great fun and utter bastards who you love to hate. Some excellent one liners too. I honestly can't think of anything good about 4 or 5. They neutered McClanes characters, the actions scenes are poor and the villains are godawful. I remember watching the supposed 'hard' version of Die Hard 4, it felt like some awful hack job done in the editing room rather than stuff they had genuinely filmed/left out.

Anyway I won't derail the thread any further, sorry!

Been watching the original Mad Max again today, still really like that film. Might watch Road Warrior after :)

Kimosabae

Banned
What's REALLY killing my hype is this Die Hard talk.

Film was dope. Good thing I didn't see it when reviews started dropping/this thread picked up earlier this week, or else there would be no way I would have enjoyed it.

I'm annoyed. I want to see this again immediately.

Any potential for an elaborate director's cut?

Simo

What's REALLY killing my hype is this Die Hard talk.

Film was dope. Good thing I didn't see it when reviews started dropping/this thread picked up earlier this week, or else there would be no way I would have enjoyed it.

I'm annoyed. I want to see this again immediately.

Any potential for an elaborate director's cut?

Hard to say. I know of a few scenes cut all mostly involving
Immortan Joe. From the B-roll footage and trailers there were more scenes with him.

Not to mention some of the flashbacks and narration that got axed from the test screenings.

Gravity is not overrated. Just a gaggle of internet nerds screeching their contrarian creds, similar to what you're trying to do here with Mad Max. I understand if Mad Max isn't your cup of tea but you're quite heavily invested in this for some reason. The problem with art is that there are people that think Mona Lisa (or any other critically acclaimed art) is an overrated piece of steaming dump too and there is nothing anyone can do about it. You just ignore the crazy man and his underdeveloped taste buds, and most of us are here doing the same. But capitalizing the word "boring" doesn't make your argument any better.

mreddie

I hope this pays off for Miller, I know it's been hell getting this made, I remember there were talks about a new Max film since 2007.

450 hours of shot footage, yeah there's gonna be a directors cut lol.

Miller said in an interview that there was very little cut from the final film. They had this story-boarded in detail before the script was even written. The reason why there are so many hours of footage is because of the multiple cameras they had set up to capture all the action from different angles.

Top Bottom