• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Pusherman

WOW. Saw the film a couple of hours ago and I'm still feeling the fucking adrenaline rush. Normally I'm incredibly cautious of movies described as 'non-stop action' or 'like a roller coaster'. I mean, I seriously disliked The Raid and that was non-stop martial arts action. Mad Max however kept me interested throughout its two hour run time by having surprisingly deep and affecting characters despite it's paucity of dialogue and probably the best onscreen action I have ever seen. In terms of stunts and vehicular action, it was like the Indiana Jones chase scenes from 1 and 3 but turned up to 11. I actually want to see it some more times in the cinema and that almost never happens with me. That soundtrack too... Jesus Christ. So fucking awesome.

brau

This movie was just amazing. No words will do justice to how good it was.

From their personalities, to the sequences of non stop action, to how tough everyone is. Just wow. I thought Kingsman was gonna be my movie of the year. It just got replaced by Mad Max. Can't wait to go see it again.

Finally saw it.

This is, as far as I'm concerned, the best action movie bar none since Terminator 2. It's definitely not as perfect as I thought it would be, BUT what was there was simply amazing. My ranking as of right now:

1. Die Hard/ Terminator 2
3. Aliens
4. Terminator
5. Mad Max: Fury Road
6. The Matrix

This may change over time of course.

Just saw it again. Still just as good. The final chase is one of the best action sequences ever put to film.

Going again on Tuesday myself. I can't remember the last time when I went to see a film twice on the big screen, but it may have been as long ago as Return Of The King.

Alrus

Saw it night, enjoyed it thoroughly, still I think the "mindblowing action" is a bit overstated. Ending also felt a bit rushed but that's not really important for this kind of movie.

Minor nitpick would be the "made for 3D" effects sprinkled throughout, unnecessary and very obvious, kind of taking you out of the mood. Oh well.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Well holy shit! Had no idea a movie could still blow my mind these days, I was wrong. From beginning to end this movie is a shot of adrenaline right into the veins. I found it interesting that even tho Hardy isn't as prominent as Gibson's Max he seemed more bad ass somehow. Kinda reminded me of the way I saw Solid Snake in MGS2.

The cinematography and the special effects are beyond any action movie I've seen in years. Please go watch this movie and drag your Avengers, Furious, and transformer fanboy friends to it. Show them what real action looks like.

Best part of all? No fucking 3 point landing from any of the strong female characters. All the characters felt vulnerable and powerful at the same time.

10/10

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Miller said in an interview that there was very little cut from the final film. They had this story-boarded in detail before the script was even written. The reason why there are so many hours of footage is because of the multiple cameras they had set up to capture all the action from different angles.

Yeah, practical effects = tons of coverage.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Well holy shit! Had no idea a movie could still blow my mind these days, I was wrong. From beginning to end this movie is a shot of adrenaline right into the veins. I found it interesting that even tho Hardy isn't as prominent as Gibson's Max he seemed more bad ass somehow. Kinda reminded me of the way I saw Solid Snake in MGS2.

The cinematography and the special effects are beyond any action movie I've seen in years. Please go watch this movie and drag your Avengers, Furious, and transformer fanboy friends to it. Show them what real action looks like.

Best part of all? No fucking 3 point landing from any of the strong female characters. All the characters felt vulnerable and powerful at the same time.

10/10

I think Hardy felt more "Mad" if that makes sense. Like a feral animal. I've seen fan theories that assume he is the grown up feral kid from Road Warrior (what with all the grunting) but I don't buy that theory.

I saw Hardy (ages ago, god this movie was stuck in development forever) say that he played the character like "a wet panther" and I titally see that.

I'm not a huge fan of directly comparing artists, but I will say that I think Hardy was great... weird moving accent, bad ADR and everything included.

Finally saw it.

This is, as far as I'm concerned, the best action movie bar none since Terminator 2. It's definitely not as perfect as I thought it would be, BUT what was there was simply amazing. My ranking as of right now:

3. Aliens
4. Terminator
6. The Matrix

I dunno where I'd put it in that list In the long run (right now it's below the matrix for me)

But the fact that a movie in 2015(!!) absolutely belongs in the list with those is mind blowing. Blessed to watch this in theaters brehs

oni_saru

Saw it this morning. It was brilliant! Just the type of action film we need more of.

Really loved Furiosa! Just a perfect badass woman!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Great movie, we loved this. So intense! To be honest before seeing this I was getting annoyed at all the hyperbole and hype, it felt like someone planted that seed and everyone was just running with it to share the excitement, but it really does feel like a masterfully executed flick.

IMO Theron owned the movie, Hardy was great, loved the random Aussie cameos (
Quentin Kenihan, Megan Gale as a badass chick and then getting flattened by a truck
, others boganing it up). Could really appreciate the practical effects, everything had a real sense of weight and violence to it. As a contrast we saw Avengers last week and walked out due to it feeling like a CG Transformers cartoon (no knock on people who enjoyed it, just not for me). This was a refreshing change for action films and reminded me of Dredd in parts, like a self contained 80s-esque violent adrenaline fueled attack. So good.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
CFO3zZ6WMAE6egG.jpg

OMG. Amazing.

Ridley327

Did he make Gareth Evans his bitch? That's what I want to know.

The one hand-to-hand fight scene in this film is pretty goddamned great. Evans is still the modern master in that regard, but he shouldn't rest that easy if a 70-year-old can produce something like this film did.

Simo

I assume the only reason this movie is R is because Miller exercised a final cut clause.

Actually the studio tested a PG-13 cut and it didn't go down as well, cited that audiences felt it lacked some of intensity of the R cut, and so stuck with Miller and whatever his final cut was.

inm8num2

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
3. Die Hard
4. Aliens

I feel good about that top 5. It will change over time, but I feel damn good.

I dunno where I'd put it in that list In the long run (right now it's below the matrix for me)

But the fact that a movie in 2015(!!) absolutely belongs in the list with those is mind blowing. Blessed to watch this in theaters brehs
Wachowski brother's consistently shit performance after Reloaded retroactively made the first worse for me, like Sixth Sense and M Night Singalong.

Timeaisis

How this movie did not make one bajillion dollars this weekend is beyond me. Are people just so used to crap they forgot what's good? Makes me sad a little.

jett

D-Member
Wachowski brother's consistently shit performance after Reloaded retroactively made the first worse for me, like Sixth Sense and M Night Singalong.

Watching The Matrix is a bit weird when you realize all the characters are computer nerds with an inexplicable leather fetish.

kitzkozan

Finally saw it.

3. Aliens
4. Terminator
6. The Matrix

All good choices / usual suspect as far as best action movies ever made. You rarely see a landmark action movie like this one and it might be along wait for the next one, unless Gareth Evans surprise us yet again with his next offering. If I were to make a top 10 based on what I saw (no particular order):

Aliens
Die Hard
Mad Max Fury Road
Predator
Raiders of the lost ark (more adventure than action, but the line are blurred with this one)
Terminator
Terminator 2
The Matrix
The Raid
The Raid 2

These are already classics or will eventually be recognize as such imo. Gareth Evans is very gifted and his specialty seems to be creating these hybrid martial art / action flicks, but Miller is the better all around director at the moment. I will be watching the road warrior tonight, since it's considered the best among Miller original trilogy.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The one hand-to-hand fight scene in this film is pretty goddamned great. Evans is still the modern master in that regard, but he shouldn't rest that easy if a 70-year-old can produce something like this film did.

Interesting. Didn't know there was a hand-to-hand fight sequence in the film. Do you know which fight choreographer Miller went with?

How this movie did not make one bajillion dollars this weekend is beyond me. Are people just so used to crap they forgot what's good? Makes me sad a little.
It's a R rated movie about a 30yr old franchise with a 54% of their audience being 35+yr old dudes. It's a miracle the film was done. On the other hand it really made curious, I was a kid and saw films like Nightmare on Elm Street, Robocop, Terminator and Die Hard, sneaking nto R rated films was not only an adventure but almost like a tradition, seeing my theater filled with guys near their 40s is kinda depressing in a way.

kitzkozan

In my city, nearly all the repertoire video rental stores are closing since nobody among the younger generation give a shit about the classics from Truffault, Hitchcock, Godard, Fellini, Bergman, Kurosawa, etc...

Simo

Can someone tell me what happens in the first 15 minutes of the film? I mistook what time it started. I got in around when the water poured out.

Feral Max and his car are captured by Immortan Joe's people. They cut and shave Max while tattooing all his vitals on his back including he's a universal blood donor. They go to hot brand him with Immortan's symbol but Max breaks free and tries to flee. Flashbacks from his past keep fucking him up and when he does get outside he's cornered because the Citadel, where Max is, is built within a mountain. He's recaptured and gagged. Title Card.

We then see Furiosa and her War Rig being lowered down and set up along with Immortan Joe being gear up and see his several tumors all over his body. He talks to The Wretched below telling them that Furiosa is making a convoy trip for guzzolene from Gas Town and bullets from Bullet Farm in exchange for water and Mother's Milk.

Oddduck

I just came back from the movie.

Beautiful visuals. Amazing action sequences. The music/soundtrack was amazing.

Easily one of my favorite films of the year so far.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Look deep down in your heart and tell me this movie didn't make you wish cameron dropped avatar and jumpstarted battle angel instead

Honestly, I'd want someone else to adapt Battle Angel. Someone younger and more hungry for hard-hitting sci-fi. Duncan Jones, for one.

Top Bottom