• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Look deep down in your heart and tell me this movie didn't make you wish cameron dropped avatar and jumpstarted battle angel instead
I don't have to look deep down anywhere. I wished Cameron was doing Battle Angel straight after Avatar since he was working on Avatar.
Honestly, I'd want someone else to adapt Battle Angel. Someone younger and more hungry for hard-hitting sci-fi. Duncan Jones, for one.
I just threw up in my mouth.

Simo

Amazingly, it looks like the guy that did the fight choreography popped his cherry with this film.

Greg Van Borssum has worked with Miller before too. Also Richard Norton helped out too I believe and played the Prime Imperator in the movie too. lol

I saw this last night and I cannot stop thinking about how spectacularly clear the action was.

In my opinion this had the best direction and editing in action scenes since Winter Soldier (and this was a lot more complex).

Corpsepyre

Banned
I don't have to look deep down anywhere. I wished Cameron was doing Battle Angel straight after Avatar since he was working on Avatar.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Cameron's not the same director who made the Terminator movies and Aliens anymore. Avatar was an expensive Bollywood movie, if anything.

I saw this last night and I cannot stop thinking about how spectacularly clear the action was.

In my opinion this had the best direction and editing in action scenes since Winter Soldier (and this was a lot more complex).
After watching the amazing sequens and choreography, why we turned to shaky cam this generation?

Ridley327

Greg Van Borssum has worked with Miller before too. Also Richard Norton helped out too I believe and played the Prime Imperator in the movie too. lol

Oh, I saw that that he was a part of Miller's crew for a minute now, but in terms of being a fight scene choreographer, this was his first time at bat. Really damn impressive work.

npa189

Just got back from the theater, goddamn that was great. It was just one giant chase scene and I loved every minute. The use of framerate was very unique and added to the tension of the film. does anyone know the exact rate? I'm thinking 48.

Watched it for a second time.

29RcJT1.gif

Even better than the first time around.

pringles

In what way though? Would you say the budget made all the difference?
That certainly helps, Mad Max feels more ambitious and inventive and when you aim higher and absolutely nail it like this, it makes for a special movie. Also I think there could have been more restraint in both Raid movies. There are sequences that go on and on and on. I think they leave you as a viewer much more exhausted than Fury Road does. It was a nice change to sit there with credit rolling and wanting MORE.

Damn it. When they first enter into the storm and this hits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liPiHSVtloQ&t=3m39s

I just can't even handle it. 2nd time watching, still couldn't. Some dude in the theater just goes "fuck" after that whole sequence finally ended. Couldn't have said it better.

Music is used so effectively in this movie, it's almost too on-the-nose. I could KINDA see that one negative review saying that the music is just YELLING at you, telling you how to feel--but I see it more as complementary. Perfect matches--so it doesn't feel so transparent, it works.

Cameron's not the same director who made the Terminator movies and Aliens anymore. Avatar was an expensive Bollywood movie, if anything.

Shit on Avatar's narrative all you want, Cameron's chops for staging action haven't shown a speck of rust. Avatar still has the best choreographed action setpieces of the last decade.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just got back from the theater, goddamn that was great. It was just one giant chase scene and I loved every minute. The use of framerate was very unique and added to the tension of the film. does anyone know the exact rate? I'm thinking 48.

afaik it was 24fps

Edit: I stand corrected! Had no idea the framerate changes throughout the film.

Did Miller screw around with the framerate in the opening?

There is undercranking and overcranking throughout the film.

The frame rate was also manipulated to achieve a desired effect. "Something like 50 or 60 percent of the film is not running at 24 frames a second, which is the traditional frame rate," said Seale. "It'll be running below 24 frames because George, if he couldn't understand what was happening in the shot, he slowed it down until you could. Or if it was too well understood, he'd shorten it or he'd speed it up back towards 24. His manipulation of every shot in that movie is intense."

After seeing the weekend numbers I am worried. I know everyone here thinks this will have legs, but I am worried that this movie will not break even. The only way I see another Mad Max movie is if they at least get past 300 million, it does very well in BR sales and wins a few of the technical oscars and maybe one of the bigger ones (editing or cinematography). Plus they slash the budget for the next one by 50 mill. to 100 million dollars.

Slixshot

Banned
Did Miller screw around with the framerate in the opening?

He undercranked the camera, so that when played at normal speed, it seems like it's going hella fast due to the missing frames.

He does throughout the movie, actually. It's just less pronounced as the movie progresses.

To damn good effect, I say. I loved how fast and vicious that opening was - perfect way to start the movie.

I LOVED this. It was so unique to see and incredibly well done. God, the way this whole movie was filmed was incredible.

After seeing the weekend numbers I am worried. I know everyone here thinks this will have legs, but I am worried that this movie will not break even. The only way I see another Mad Max movie is if they at least get past 300 million, it does very well in BR sales and wins a few of the technical oscars and maybe one of the bigger ones (editing or cinematography). Plus they slash the budget for the next one by 50 mill. to 100 million dollars.

$109 million worldwide right now, so it will probably break even in the next day or so without any problem...

Jarmel

Banned
There is undercranking and overcranking throughout the film.

Not surprised. There were parts that seemed sped up, like it was skipping, and others that seemed slowed down.

He undercranked the camera, so that when played at normal speed, it seems like it's going hella fast due to the missing frames.

Does stuff like this happen often? I can't ever remember a director undercranking a camera on purpose like this.

$109 million worldwide right now, so it will probably break even in the next day or so without any problem...

It won't. Not by a longshot. 150 is just the production budget. Plus marketing plus the fact that the studio doesn't get the full gross, breaking even will be at 350 million gross.

Not surprised. There were parts that seemed sped up, like it was skipping, and others that seemed slowed down.

Does stuff like this happen often? I can't ever remember a director undercranking a camera on purpose like this.
It actually isn't that rare, it's just that you'll find directors artificially doing it most of the time by removing frames in post rather than doing it in-camera.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I totally forgot about those two. Such great movies. Hope we get a part 3 down the line.

Gareth Evans, the director, is making his next action film with Iko Uwais and some of the cast from The Raid movies, and it's called Blister. Supposedly a higher budget and a full-on crime/action film. He posted some shots on his Twitter where he showed the action scenes being prepped. Can only hope for more greatness here.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Also, he tweeted about Mad Max several times.

Gareth Evans @ghuwevans · 8h 8 hours ago
3rd time seeing it - Mad Max Fury Road gets better each time. incredible kinetic energy.

Nuke Soda

Gareth Evans, the director, is making his next action film with Iko Uwais and some of the cast from The Raid movies, and it's called Blister. Supposedly a higher budget and a full-on crime/action film. He posted some shots on his Twitter where he showed the action scenes being prepped. Can only hope for more greatness here.

Sweet.

3rd time seeing it - Mad Max Fury Road gets better each time. incredible kinetic energy.
I'm eager to find out if that is true. I would not be surprised.

This movie, man. This movie.

Raid 2 overstays its welcome with frankly an awful attempt at having a plot.
I wouldn't call it awful. It's a serviceable K-revenge plot. I think though that having more meat on the plot is actually detrimental to movies like Raid, John Wick, DREDD and now Fury Road. Here's the dude, he is thrown into a shit creek without a paddle, and he's here to shoot/slice you. Thats all you need. Dont try to explain why there is a, b, c and d. It detracts from the real good stuff which is pure unadulterated action.

One exception though is obviously The Matrix.

kitzkozan

Here's hoping it actually make his next movie even better then. :] Don't mind the MCU or whatever WB churn out as far as DC flicks, but I need more than the equivalent of action fast food flicks and Gareth Evans is one of the few who can deliver.

Shit on Avatar's narrative all you want, Cameron's chops for staging action haven't shown a speck of rust. Avatar still has the best choreographed action setpieces of the last decade.
Lol come the fuck on.

The action is just competent, and well shot. There's really nothing to write home about or memorable

Christine

Saw this last night, was very impressed coming out of the theater. Now that I've had a day to digest the experience, I'm even more pumped. It was fucking awesome. The tone is more fantastic than Road Warrior or even beyond Thunderdome, it feels almost like a Metal Hurlant Mad Max comic turned into a film. I want to see it again.

Top Bottom