• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Nafai1123

Banned
This quote...

...is pretty ridiculous. There's so many holes in that statement. The movie essentially made that statement as well, which I find silly.

...but that is a reality. Regardless of whether gender disparity in positions of power is the reason for it, men have always been the instigators of violence and war.

Betty

Banned
This quote...

...is pretty ridiculous. There's so many holes in that statement. The movie essentially made that statement as well, which I find silly.

But it's... completely true and honest, the MRA's fear powerful women like Furiosa who's only goal is to help, and the world in Mad Max went to shit because of men, men like Immorten Joe.

But what the film yells loud and clear, is that those examples of 'men' are the wrong one's to try to emulate or follow, and instead, looking up to men like Mad Max and Nux, people who aren't driven with the need to control or own others but to simply survive and do the right thing, are the real champions and positive examples of masculinity.

Timeaisis

This quote...

Did it make that statement? People always read too much into character's opinions as the film's statement.

The old women are great characters. They distrust men because it's what they've learned in the wasteland. It doesn't mean that all men are terrible, horrible human beings in real life, it's just the way they've adapted. Does it mean they are right? No. But do they have a valid reason for feeling this way? Sure.

The movie isn't saying "women are better than men". It's not really saying anything about that, really. I guess the big statement here is people are shitty, and women and men are both equally capable of rising above the shit. This is portrayed in the old women, Furiosa, Max, and most importantly,
Nux. Even though he is a brainwashed man, he turns to the side of good because he realizes it's right and just. It has nothing to do with his gender.

If there's any takeaway, it's that gender roles don't matter in the wasteland. Nowhere does that imply that men are bad and women are good. There are evil people everywhere in the wasteland. But there are good people, too.

Ixion

...but that is a reality. Regardless of whether gender disparity in positions of power is the reason for it, men have always been the instigators of violence and war.

But it's... completely true and honest, the MRA's fear powerful women like Furiosa who's only goal is to help, and the world in Mad Max went to shit because of men, men like Immorten Joe.

But what the film yells loud and clear, is that those examples of 'men' are the wrong one's to try to emulate or follow, and instead, looking up to men like Mad Max and Nux, people who aren't driven with the need to control or own others but to simply survive and do the right thing, are the real champions and positive examples of masculinity.

Men have also helped rebuild. That falsifies her statement right there.

This also implies that there's only good men, bad men, and good women. Yes, there are women who would gain power and do good, but some women will also destroy given the power.

Nafai1123

Banned
Men have also helped rebuild. That falsifies her statement right there.

This also implies that there's only good men, bad men, and good women. Yes, there are women who would gain power and do good, but some women will also destroy given the power.

Maybe if you take that very selective quote while ignoring everything else she said around it.

They should be proud at the way men were portrayed in this film. Max acted like a true man, he showed courage and strength. He held men’s standards very well, came in there like a true man and helped those in need. And they’re angry about the theme of men destroying the world and starting wars compared to women nurturing and rebuilding it, but that’s just a reality.

But women still need men, no matter what the feminists say. Max helped Furiosa; he saved her life more than once and he also had the idea to go back to the citadel, an idea of hope. I think they are co-heroes, she saved him and he saved her, they needed each other. I don’t understand those women who say they don’t need men.

There is nothing false or silly about that comment.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There is nothing false or silly about that comment.

What about those women who survived for years, alone, without any men?

I find it more accurate to say that people need people, rather than women need men. At least in this film.

Nafai1123

Banned

I find it more accurate to say that people need people, rather than women need men. At least in this film.

The clan who was down to like 5 elder women? I wouldn't say they were exactly thriving.

Though I agree, it is more accurate to say that people need people without adding gender to the discussion. I read her comments as a argument against the MRA complaints moreso than a discussion about the thematic depth of the film.

Ixion

The old women are great characters. They distrust men because it's what they've learned in the wasteland. It doesn't mean that all men are terrible, horrible human beings in real life, it's just the way they've adapted. Does it mean they are right? No. But do they have a valid reason for feeling this way? Sure.

The fact that the old women are distrustful of men is not an issue I have with the movie, since the movie does a decent job showing the consequences of that view. Those old women are...old, and alone in a decaying land.

Maybe if you take that very selective quote while ignoring everything else she said around it.

Those are two separate points though. There are a lot of gender role messages in this movie that I agree with. The theme about men and women as destroyers and rebuilders (respectively) is one that I disagree with.

I think the movie was saying both sexes need each other. The old women had no children and were not prospering. Reproduction alone is a good reason, at least until technology allows for lab grown humans. That's not an option in the wasteland though. :)

Simo

For anyone who wants to know and see a lot more about film I can't recommend the Art Book Companion enough. Mine just arrived via UPS and the thing is surprisingly large and full of awesome stuff.

Tons of information on characters like everyone's favorite Coma The Doof Warrior for example, the book describes his backstory:
essentially Coma is blind and was raised by his mother who loved music and he had a happy upbringing. Then the collapse happened and at one time Coma and his mother were attacked where she was dragged away. The attackers returned to Coma and dropped his mother's severed head on his lap and left.

Immortan comes across Coma still cradling his mother's head after all this time and takes him into his army, ripping the skin off Coma's mothers head and fashioning a mask out of it for him so that Coma can exact revenge against all in the wasteland with his mother's screaming mask on....What the fuck?!

Also for Miss Giddy:
She's a historian trying to keep the history of world old and new remembered so she's writing the history on her body which explains the ink and words on her.

Also has concept art of what the Bullet Farm and Gas Town looks like. Again it's a fucking awesome book if you'd like to learn more about the film especially the back story.

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

DSC_0408.jpg

Nafai1123

Banned
Those are two separate points though. There are a lot of gender role messages in this movie that I agree with. The theme about men and women as destroyers and rebuilders (respectively) is one that I disagree with.

Fair enough. Based on the historical context, I don't really see a problem with implying that men who crave power are those who destroy, especially since the film does not explicitly state it as a hard rule. Max and Nux are great examples of rebuilders, of their own lives and others.

Timeaisis

For anyone who wants to know and see a lot more about film I can't recommend the Art Book Companion enough. Mine just arrived via UPS and the thing is surprisingly large and full of awesome stuff.

Tons of information on characters like everyone's favorite Coma The Doof Warrior for example, the book describes his backstory:
essentially Coma is blind and was raised by his mother who loved music and he had a happy upbringing. Then the collapse happened and at one time Coma and his mother were attacked where she was dragged away. The attackers returned to Coma and dropped his mother's severed head on his lap and left.

Immortan comes across Coma still cradling his mother's head after all this time and takes him into his army, ripping the skin off Coma's mothers head and fashioning a mask out of it for him so that Coma can exact revenge against all in the wasteland with his mother's screaming mask on....What the fuck?!

Also for Miss Giddy:
She's a historian trying to keep the history of world old and new remembered so she's writing the history on her body which explains the ink and words on her.

Also has concept art of what the Bullet Farm and Gas Town looks like. Again it's a fucking awesome book if you'd like to learn more about the film especially the back story.

Damn, that looks awesome.

Timbuktu

Sadly, it's a genre film, so will probably sweep the effects nominations but barely get nominated for any of the main events.

George Miller isn't going to worry about that too much, he's had his share of the Oscars with Happy Feet.

Editing and sound are where this movie chances are, perhaps production, make up or costume design, shame about the lack of recognition for stunt people and choreography.

George Miller isn't going to worry about that too much, he's had his share of the Oscars with Happy Feet.

Editing and sound are where this movie chances are, perhaps production, make up or costume design, shame about the lack of recognition for stunt people and choreography.

I do think that, if Warner plays politics correctly, they could sneak Miller into the running for Best Director.

I don't think he'd win. But I think he could get a nom. Depends on how they play it.

edit: If Warner wants to play up the Ripley comparisons, they could (depending on the crowd in the running come December) get Theron a Best Actress nod, too. But again, they'd have to want to spend the money to do the campaigning.

maharg

idspispopd

I'm not really worried for George Miller, and I don't think he should be worried either. He's already in the small group that's won the top awards at the Oscars.

I think it's more sad from the perspective of acting nominations, where I think Theron could be a credible nomination (it's a compact role, as is every one in this film, but she poured a lot into it and it worked really well) but probably won't even be considered.

But thus it has always been, thus it shall always be, that the Academy snub good material from genre films.

I think the movie was saying both sexes need each other. The old women had no children and were not prospering. Reproduction alone is a good reason, at least until technology allows for lab grown humans. That's not an option in the wasteland though. :)

I think this is pretty spot on.
Thinking back to all the relationships in the movie, I can see a theme of men and women needing each other forming throughout the movie: Furiosa and Max, Nux and the Wife, Joe and his wives. All point to how important the collaboration between men is necessary in the wasteland.

DOWN

Banned
What's the consensus on D-Box? It's only playing on D-Box through Thursday, after which Tomorrowland takes over.

Simo

What's the consensus on D-Box? It's only playing on D-Box through Thursday, after which Tomorrowland takes over.

DOOOO IT! My best experience watching the movie. I'd go see it again like that but...I don't wanna drive that distance again. lol

The moment Max starts up the V8 Interceptor your seat starts shaking like you're in the car yourself and then when the blower kicks in full speed and takes off....goddammit maybe I will drive out.

Crud

Banned

Saw it in dbox it kinda puts me to sleep. It feels like a massage chair that leans forward from time to time. MFX does not really work for me. Fury Road was so badass what a movie!

Simo

Saw it in dbox it kinda puts me to sleep. It feels like a massage chair that leans forward from time to time. MFX does not really work for me. Fury Road was so badass what a movie!

....did you have it on the lowest setting?

Game4life

Banned
I'm not really worried for George Miller, and I don't think he should be worried either. He's already in the small group that's won the top awards at the Oscars.

I think it's more sad from the perspective of acting nominations, where I think Theron could be a credible nomination (it's a compact role, as is every one in this film, but she poured a lot into it and it worked really well) but probably won't even be considered.

But thus it has always been, thus it shall always be, that the Academy snub good material from genre films.

I dont understand what is the academy's problem with recognizing action movies. Do they not see the craftsmanship that it takes to make a blockbuster like this. People were raving about Birdman and the camera work behind that movie but cant appreciate this? Just because it is an action movie with no melodramatic or sappy plot or does not have some big social commentary? They do the same shit with horror movies as well. The academy loves excluding entire genre's from best picture and director nominations. Fk them.

DOWN

Banned
DOOOO IT! My best experience watching the movie. I'd go see it again like that but...I don't wanna drive that distance again. lol

The moment Max starts up the V8 Interceptor your seat starts shaking like you're in the car yourself and then when the blower kicks in full speed and takes off....goddammit maybe I will drive out.

I get weak with lust over rumbling cars, so you've just sold me on it. First viewing was standard 2D close by, and D-Box is a bit of a drive for me as well, but I'm going for it since I am dying to see the film again.

Ixion

I'm in New York and I just looked up the nearest D-BOX theater. It's in...south Jersey.

Surprised there isn't one in Manhattan at least. Definitely want to give it a shot.

Simo

I get weak with lust over rumbling cars, so you've just sold me on it. First viewing was standard 2D close by, and D-Box is a bit of a drive for me as well, but I'm going for it since I am dying to see the film again.

It was honestly like if they built a ride out of Fury Road in Orlando it would be something like the D-Box experience. lol It was my first film like that too.

I mean that feeling as the chair shake as Max fires up the Interceptor and getting more intense as the blower reaches full speed or how the chair pitches and leans when Furiosa is heading down Fury Road to Gas Town to the chair shaking violently with each Thunder Stick hitting and exploding against the Buzzards and the constant shaking as you're with Nux and Max in the storm.

Seeing the guy sitting next me in my peripheral vision was hilarious though because he was shaking all over the place and I imagined we all looked like that. lol

DOWN

Banned
That would be cool, but the real travesty is if his wife doesn't get a Best Editing nomination.

Yeah, I can totally see a director snub since that is the nature of action movies at the Oscars, but the editing, mixing, production design, etc. should all get nominations.

Gold Derby : Why "Mad Max: Fury Road" deserves to be nominated for Best Picture

To nominate “Mad Max: Fury Road,” however, would cause no such problems: the film is not only a great entertainment, but a work of art, as witnessed by the many categories in which it should compete. In the tradition of “Jaws” (1975), “Star Wars” (1977), “Raiders of the Lost Ark” (1981), “E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial” (1982), “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy (2001-2003), “Avatar” (2009), “Inception” (2010), and others that successfully blended art and commerce,

“Mad Max” deserves to be in this years Best Picture lineup, and the academy would be madder than Max to ignore it.

Top Bottom