• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

R-User!

On a dirt bike with a George Clinton dreads veil?

...and he'll make the V8 sign as she approaches and then he'll jump on the back of the bike 'Legolas-mounting-a-horse-one-handed' style facing backwards at the wedding attendees and yelling WITNESS MEEEEEE!!!!! and then ride off into the sunset sans reciting their vows; because when you blow your wedding away like that with your life-long partner, that's eternal love!

Timeaisis

Lots of little nods to the previous films in the series.

The double barreled shotgun that Max wields is exactly like the one in the Road Warrior. It also backfires (twice in Fury Road) just like it did in the Road Warrior. This scene actually made me laugh.

There is also a music box in Fury Road that is another callback to Road Warrior.

One of the skulls on Nux's vehicle that is wearing a pilots hat. This is a reference to the Gyro Captain from Road Warrior.

There's actually quite a few more, that may or may not be intentional.

The one I think is intentional is...
The fight with the Doof Warrrior on bungies could be seen as a callback to the Thunderdome fight

That scene was badass. Very interesting back and forth with other characters getting in between. See... each scene has a story of its own. its great. You could almost watch a scene by itself and it would make sense on its own.

Miller said in the Q&A that he was trying to make a film that you could understand with almost no dialogue, and it kind of shows. It's a very visual film, and you understand most of the plot through action and visual cues instead of dialogue exposition.

brau

Miller said in the Q&A that he was trying to make a film that you could understand with almost no dialogue, and it kind of shows. It's a very visual film, and you understand most of the plot through action and visual cues instead of dialogue exposition.

It does. Disney does that in their movies. You see them without dialogue and it tells the story by itself, and you can clearly know what is going on. I think this kind of narrative is more difficult but also more effective. I like how every shot showed something important. Not for the sake of showing mayhem or what not.

Great movie. It has a lot of layers of story embedded in it too. can't wait to watch it again.

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."

This movie was quite something, have had few days to digest since the premiere and Fury Road just keeps staying in my thoughts.

The moral core of the movie was rock solid, and complemented with the care and absolute craftsmanship of the visuals this certainly is landmark tier in the action genre at least.

Somehow reminds me of Miyazaki's stuff too, with the care and love to everything on screen and heart and message of it all. Superb combination. The ending could have been botched so easily, but is so effortlessly perfect now. God damn.

Drifters

I just got back from the morning viewing with my dad.... IN-FUCKKINNNGGGG-SANE. I told him as we were exiting the theater... "How do you even describe this movie to someone?"

Will see again and the Blu-Ray will be mine!

I love how they handled the gore in this film.

Almost all of it was done via audio or quick cut. Nothing was lingered on. Much more effective I felt.

Game4life

Banned

Almost all of it was done via audio or quick cut. Nothing was lingered on. Much more effective I felt.

Yup. Really surprised by it though I would not have really been upset with a little more gore. After all it is R rated and showing a bit of blood in this wasteland would have really sold me even more on how dangerous this environment is. I mean the saw man could have had an RE4 death moment and I would not have had a problem.

Link to posters PLZZ <3

Version C is my preferred. It's also the hardest to find in 27x40 ANYWHERE.

MV5BMTUyMTE0ODcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODE4NDQzNTE@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

burgervan

I'm not into gore at all, but I felt like it really pulled its punches a few times. It's not a big deal to me, but I think a tiny bit of gore could've gone a long way.

overcast

That fucking hand to hand scene with knocked out Nux flinging around.

Goddamn I need to find a way to see this again. Maybe at a bigger and better theater.

Sorcerer

Just got back and the movie outdid my personal hype.

Holy shit, the marriage of artistry, drama, and action is so beautiful.

It makes me so sad that people are sleeping on this.

On the other hand if Miller is not involved in future Max's (if there are any at this point) I'm not sure I would be open to that idea.

Guy.brush

Why did Tom Hardy mumble so much? He seems to have issues playing "big guys" since a couple of movies ago or doesn't want to anymore and started to change his voice. His voice didn't really work for me in this and would have wished for some "bigger" moments with him. He totally played second fiddle to Charlize, not just in the plot but also acting.

Okay, this poster that Bobby posted:
is damn awesome. Might just be the one I'll buy if I can find it.

Edit: I see he fixed his link :)
I feel the same way. I guess going to the movie theatre later might get you a copy of the poster for free when they are discarding some.

Hopefully, yeah. They also sell a few, including really cool variants which always surprises me.

Sorcerer

Why did Tom Hardy mumble so much? He seems to have issues playing "big guys" since a couple of movies ago or doesn't want to anymore and started to change his voice. His voice didn't really work for me in this and would have wished for some "bigger" moments with him. He totally played second fiddle to Charlize, not just in the plot but also acting.

It worked for me. Max is not a social man and his only goal is to be left alone. It makes sense the character is not the greatest communicator in the world.

nib95

Banned
So watched this earlier. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it was the classic masterpiece I was perhaps anticipating based on some of the reviews and impressions. Don't get me wrong, there were so many amazing elements, scenes, set pieces, shots, set ups and all the rest, but it just lacked a little something. Maybe some added exposition, character development, humanity and emotion. I respect the no frills, no time wasting directness of it, but it just felt like it needed more to glue it altogether besides the beautiful cinematography and non stop action.

I definitely want to watch it again mind, and will buy it on Blu Ray in a heart beat. On first watch, I'd probably give it an 8.5/10, but will reserve final judgement till after a second viewing.

Slixshot

Banned

Because he's legitimately crazy. Mad Max is not just the title of the movie.

Back from my 2nd viewing. The movie was still as good as the first time. The showdown is an absolute masterpiece. Wish our cinema would show the OV. I can't stand watching movies in German any more.

Thats the point, his character is
completely broken and borderline insane.

He latches onto Furiosa's desire for redemption and gains some of his humanity back through that.

jem0208

This movie.

This. fucking. movie.

I loved it so much, might go see it again...

So watched this earlier. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it was the classic masterpiece I was perhaps anticipating based on some of the reviews and impressions. Don't get me wrong, there were so many amazing elements, scenes, set pieces, shots, set ups and all the rest, but it just lacked a little something. Maybe some added exposition, character development, humanity and emotion. I respect the no frills, no time wasting directness of it, but it just felt like it needed more to glue it altogether besides the beautiful cinematography and non stop action.

I definitely want to watch it again mind, and will buy it on Blu Ray in a heart beat. On first watch, I'd probably give it an 8.5/10, but will reserve final judgement till after a second viewing.

I agree with this though. Story and character wise it was rather basic. However it was just such a joy to watch, fantastic visual direction and amazing action set pieces.

After a few days, there are 2 scenes that have really stuck with me for some reason:

-
Max (feat. Nux on a Chain) vs. Furiosa (feat. Wives) fighting near the big rig. The fight choreography with the chain is a lot of fun and adds so much to what could've been a pretty standard brawl.
-
When Max was desperately trying to get the mask off for like 5 minutes, increasing in speed every time they cut back to him. Nice bit of comedy in an otherwise intense buildup to the next big action scene.

Tizoc

lol, I just booked a ticket for my friend to watch Mad Max and over here the movie is listed to being OK for 12 years and older, I completely forgot about that.

ninjabat

That granny's review is so heartwarming. Brought up some stuff I never thought about. Saw this movie last week Thursday and can't stop thinking about it. Need to rewatch soon.

I really liked the movie but the ending was so fucking corny

really?

while I respect your opinion. I feel like if it ended any other way I would have left the theater in a bad mood.

The films heroes get their ass kicked for the fist third, brutally too.

I really enjoyed how the film ended.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

I thought about the same. The story and characters were serviceable, but nothing special. I assumed Furiosa would be the heart of the movie, but even she was pretty shallow.

Top Bottom