• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

R-User!

:3

Also, "Cheers to MAXs not to run away but fight for future. What a lovely day."

Is he talking about Konami or something? :p

Maybe he's identifying with Max due to his current situation where he has to stick it out for his future and not run away.

I thought he said in an interview that he watches a movie everyday

I know you're just joking but it doesn't work here :p

I've read that too, and he's probably forgoing all other film options on his "plate" so that he can FULLY maximize his Mad Max intake while he can! ;)

It's pretty easy to watch a movie every day. It's a lot harder to watch a movie every day in IMAX!

Maybe he has an IMAX around the corner from his office?.... ....Do you know of the closest IMAX's he can access from wherever his offices are? Does he cross a wasteland to get to his theater just to consume more guzzaline? Some of these questions I asked you are rhetorical. :p

There's a similar kind of weirdness to the bad guys in the Mad Max movies and the bad guys in MGS games, I can see why Kojima is a fan.

Maybe this experience will bring about a renaissance of new imagination that will fuel his creative hunger to create something twisted and new with his own or another studio!
I hope so.

Slixshot

Banned
Damn he must really love this movie, second time he saw it.

2015-05-1916_06_11-hi81j0b.png

CFX1rrdUIAAjiWr.jpg

^_^ Kojima knows what's up.

I'm seeing the movie tonight with a friend. Is the 3D worth it ? I was thinking about seeing the movie in the AVX room of the Cineplex.

So she's 10; so you obviously felt she was mature enough to handle it right? Had you seen it before taking her? I'm glad you took her. Powerful role-model that Imperator Furiosa!

I had not seen it yet. I read reviews ahead of time, and didn't see anything that sounded like too much for her.

Mind you, she's a lot more well-versed in cinema than your average kid, and watches pretty much anything my wife and I would, and I've introduced her to most of my favorite movies over the years.

Her favorite movie ever is still the 1982 version of The Thing, though I think Wright's Cornetto trilogy is close.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
love love love how much was said in so few words

love love love how much was said in so few words

Yes. It's like the opposite of the modern blockbuster where the motivations, fears, reasoning, dangers, emotions etc. all get spelled out in long-winded detail by the characters, often repeatedly.

It's so refreshing to see a film where a lot of the story is told visually. The film is 2 hours long, but I swear it feels about half an hour shorter because of that.

Ixion

For those of you who've had subsequent viewings, did you come to appreciate Tom Hardy's performance more?

Since his portrayal of Max is so different than Mel's, I wonder if I just need to get used to it.

brau

For those of you who've had subsequent viewings, did you come to appreciate Tom Hardy's performance more?

Since his portrayal of Max is so different than Mel's, I wonder if I just need to get used to it.

You didn't like it?

Is it because the movie is not about him but more about Furiosa?

Ixion

You didn't like it?

Is it because the movie is not about him but more about Furiosa?

I was put off by his changing accents and grunts, as well as his jarring shifts from being hyper and manic in some instances and then being a stoic badass in other instances.

The whole movie I was still trying to get a handle on what kind of character they were going for.

Game4life

Banned
After a needlessly complicated plot is out of the way.

ha ha that is true. Kojima should just do the set pieces and enemy design.

I was put off by his changing accents and grunts, as well as his jarring shifts from being hyper and manic in some instances and then being a stoic badass in other instances.

The whole movie I was still trying to get a handle on what kind of character they were going for.

This. I dont know why Tom Hardy is wasting his talent by doing stuff like this. Just have a clear normal accent and it would have been enough. He is def the weaker aspect of an otherwise brilliant film.

That is my biggest problem with Tom Hardy's performance. It's like he couldn't find the right way to handle the character of Mad Max so it feels a bit over the place. Mel Gibson had three movies to define the character, plus he didn't have to force a fake accent either. Mel will always be the definitive Max to me.

But given that Max was sidelined for the first half of the movie, and that he had very little dialogue, these inconsistencies didn't really bother me much.

brau

I see. I was kinda dissapointed
we didn't get to see what goes on when he takes out the tank looking car with the blind guy.

But overall i really like everyones character and acting. Non of them seemed misplaced. I didn't' quite catch a change in accents. Have you seen the movie more than once?

What does Furiosa being a bigger character have to do with Hardy's portrayal of Max?

I would think some people might perceive Hardys character as less important i guess. I mean.. they develop everyones character more than Max. Which i am perfectly ok with it, since he is a by stander caught in a glimpse of time or an event in that world. Which i think they did in a really awesome way.

I think Hardy was great. He seemed misplaced, troubled, but he had nice touches of humanity overall.

Slixshot

Banned

ha ha that is true. Kojima should just do the set pieces and enemy design.

This. I dont know why Tom Hardy is wasting his talent by doing stuff like this. Just have a clear normal accent and it would have been enough. He is def the weaker aspect of an otherwise brilliant film.

Well he is crazy.

Ixion

Well he is crazy.

Which is why I think I might like Max better after seeing the movie again, going in with the mindset that he's a bi-polar crazy man.

I'm not sure if Hardy gave an inconsistent performance or he's actually a genius...

Slixshot

Banned
Which is why I think I might like Max better after seeing the movie again, going in with the mindset that he's a bi-polar crazy man.

I'm not sure if Hardy gave an inconsistent performance or he's actually a genius...

Personally, I loved his performance because he barely said a thing but I felt as if I could see his motives/genuine nature.

Others have also criticized his performance so you're not alone. I just didn't see it myself.

Timeaisis

I liked Hardy as Max a lot, actually. He says a lot in his facial expressions and gestures. The scene where he is looking for all of Furiosa's hidden weapons in the War Rig is hilarious. All grunting and snapping his fingers. Good stuff.

SmugSnake

Neo Member
I liked Hardy as Max a lot, actually. He says a lot in his facial expressions and gestures. The scene where he is looking for all of Furiosa's hidden weapons in the War Rig is hilarious. All grunting and snapping his fingers. Good stuff.

I agree, his voice was a little off but his physicality and mannerisms sold me on the whole "mad" thing. It was a different sort of mad than Mel Gibson's wild-eyed version, but it worked nonetheless.

I believe this was posted in the spoiler thread already but it should be on every page.

https://vimeo.com/127381179

This ASC lecture by the DP and 2nd Unit guy on Fury Road is amazing for anyone who wants to get really in depth into the filming of the film.

Its long but super worth it.

duckroll

I wonder how involved Miller is with the Mad Max game.

If it's a prequel, Max seems a heck of a lot more coherent than the opening of Fury Road would suggest.

Apparently he consulted on it very early on in the process, shared with the devs what the movie was doing, and then they were allowed to just do whatever on their own. No one making anything Mad Max really cares about canon or chronology beyond the material of the individual works. I think Gastown is in the game. That's about it.

R-User!

Well, I'd say that he's a stoic badass but in some instances has manic panic attacks due to his anxiety associated with his tormented psyche. I think. >_>

Betty

Banned
This was utterly fantastic, Immorten Joe was hands down the best warlord in the franchise, if they had kept the action chase scene continuous the moment
those spiked buggy's attacked right up to the end
, I wouldn't have complained.

I loved that. And it was also a bit of call back to Thunderdome when going into Bartertown, Max unloads a ton of weapons on his person before they allow him in.

megalowho

Agreed. Thought Hardy was equal parts badass, unhinged and hilarious, often without saying a word - def worked for me. Liked his portrayal more after I thought about the character's arc after the fact. I get the accent critiques, it's a bit all over the map in a few scenes, but even that can be explained away given his circumstances prior to running into Furiosa.
Who knows how long it's been since he's interacted with people, alone in his crazy head.

I even like the few relatively quiet moments in the score. The bit before
the big climax chase, in the James Cameron Blue Desert Zone, and they're just chillin' talking about Satellites and Heirloom Seeds.

That one chick with the white hair is REALLY striking at night, lawd

Solo

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but by god did this movie also reinforce that we could use an awful lot more original blockbusters like this instead of 4-5 annual comic book movies. This may be the 4th in a franchise, but it's so fresh.

Jesus this shit just gets better and better. When it kicks in right before the big crescendo...GOOD LORD

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but by god did this movie also reinforce that we could use an awful lot more original blockbusters like this instead of 4-5 annual comic book movies. This may be the 4th in a franchise, but it's so fresh.

It's got such a destructive/savage nature to it compared to everything else. Nothing is like the crazy shit this movie throws at you.

B33

Banned
The Art of MAD MAX: FURY ROAD just arrived at my door.

Gorgeous cover.

I can't wait to flip through it when I have time tonight.

Red

Might go see this on Friday. Glad it turned out well. Waiting for tickets at the closest RPX theater to be listed. For some reason they are only allowing online purchases day-of.

Newboi

Fury Road is my favorite movie this year so far and my second favorite action movie of all time (it's behind the Raid 2 for me). I have to say though, this movie does more for the action genre than any other in the past decade. It might be the next Matrix or Terminator 2 in terms of genre progression.

On the topic of Tom Hardy's voice. From watching interviews with George Miller and Hardy, it appears that Max hasn't really spoken in years, or at least for a long time so they really wanted his voice to sound odd at times.

I loved that. And it was also a bit of call back to Thunderdome when going into Bartertown, Max unloads a ton of weapons on his person before they allow him in.

Lots of little nods to the previous films in the series.

The double barreled shotgun that Max wields is exactly like the one in the Road Warrior. It also backfires (twice in Fury Road) just like it did in the Road Warrior. This scene actually made me laugh.

There is also a music box in Fury Road that is another callback to Road Warrior.

One of the skulls on Nux's vehicle that is wearing a pilots hat. This is a reference to the Gyro Captain from Road Warrior.

funkypie

Banned
amazing film. easily one of the best films I have seen in the last 5 years.

so glad it was a 15 / R rated. I've noticed a trend of action films returning to R rated from this previous 12A / PG-13 crap.

Hardy smashed it imo, only issue i had was his voice, accent was awful.

brau

That scene was badass. Very interesting back and forth with other characters getting in between. See... each scene has a story of its own. its great. You could almost watch a scene by itself and it would make sense on its own.

Certinty

Thought it was pretty damn good, one of the better movies I've seen this year.

Perhaps surprising because I thought the trailer looked pretty bad as well.

Top Bottom