• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Lunar15

After seeing it, I'm a bit surprised that people wanted more exposition. I thought the movie conveyed its drama and character arcs pretty well all things considered. A lot of good "show not tell" going on. Dialogue was tight.

Perfect movie? Nah. But did it set out to do everything it wanted to? Yeah, I'd say so. It was immensely enjoyable.

Totakeke

Not sure if that is a plot hole

How did Max return to the canyon where they blew up the rocks so quickly? Joe's party wasn't that far behind in the pursuit, why didn't they have to cross that swamp with the crows again?

Such kind of a scene wouldn't have served anything in the bigger picture. Just accept that they went through it or found another way.

WB really deserves major props for funding this film, completely threw me off guard when I watched it and I have a need to watch it again.

Saw last night. Great flick. Weird in all the right ways. Nice to see an action flick that's not purely formulaic. I'm not really a big film buff so I ask this question earnestly: what are the greatest car chase movies of all time, and where does this movie fit on that list, if at all?

Been listening to the soundtrack nonstop. It made me think about what I really liked about the movie besides how the action was directed is that it seems like every last thing any character, major or minor, does in the film has a purpose.

Slixshot

Banned
I like my idea better haha.

Now I really want this poster.

Link for anyone interested.

HOT DAMN!!!

DAN-NASH-MAD-MAX-FIN-WEB.jpg

Now that's a poster!

How did Max return to the canyon where they blew up the rocks so quickly? Joe's party wasn't that far behind in the pursuit, why didn't they have to cross that swamp with the crows again?

Well, yes, but
now nobody was chasing them, so why show it if it's just them bringing the War Rig through the mud.

They probably did, but it just wasn't shown because it would basically be the same scene as 10-15 minutes previously but in the light and they are facing the other way.

I don't think it would have contributed a great deal.

They probably did, but it just wasn't shown because it would basically be the same scene as 10-15 minutes previously but in the light and they are facing the other way.

I don't think it would have contributed a great deal.
Actually, seeing the aftermath of Max's attack would have been really effective.

Does anyone else think Nicholas Hoult is just too adorable to keep playing "terrifying" characters.

Beast from X-Men: Quirky, silent, and adorable
Warm Bodies: Quirky, silent, and adorable zombie
Mad Max: Quirky, pale, and adorable
War Boy

Especially towards the end when he becomes a "good guy."
Hoult seems like he doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else think Nicholas Hoult is just too adorable to keep playing "terrifying" characters.

War Boy

That's because he used it all up playing a gigantic douche in Skins

mfiuza

War Boy

The moment where
he kissed the girl on cheek for helping him break the chains in the bog part was a absolutely amazing moment. Hard to think it was scripted hahaha

Simo

That seems silly. Way to kill the hype.

I hope that's not true. I don't see the benefit in knowing more backstory for any of those characters, at least in movie form.

Yeah I haven't heard this anywhere else and they're the only source. It would be weird to do a prequel for Immortan Joe when a comic book written by Miller that explores Immortan's backstory releases today....

2015 has really been hitting it out of the park with films: Kingsman, It Follows, Ex Machina, and Mad Max: Fury Road.

Anyway I have a few questions about Fury Road:

[*]Did the blonde haired bride that fell off the truck really go under the wheel? When they were taking out her baby they said that she was still breathing, does this mean Max lied?

[*]Having watched the film twice she did indeed get ran over, and just because someone is ran over it does not mean that they will instantly die. Internal injuries/bleeding will take a moment to end their life.

mantidor

The best thing about it is that you can feel either like you've only seen 2 hours of kaboom action or like you've just read a 1 000 pages book.

Yes.

This is what world building and character development is about. The brides as being rescued hostages could have been treated like background, the way most rescue movies are, but here each one has a distinct personality and a different backstory, and a different involvement in the actual story, and we know this by the visuals and the action itself, not by exposition.

You start looking at every other character and the same is evident, it's almost like we could have a movie for each one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fuck me that was mental.

It was just so...Austrialian. There must be something in the water there that brings a little spark to the writing I think. Like a glint in the eye that you can tell just by watching. Slightly anarchic - even in good childrens TV like Round the Twist.

Also, it felt real - which is saying something considering how nuts it was. The stunts and action were grounded, giving it real punch, and the world design was just fantastic. Each attack wave in the convoys felt like they made twisted sense.

My only negative was probably that it dragged a little in the middle. They had a couple of slow segments that could maybe have been shortened. But that is really only a minor comment.

Forget how did they return so quickly. How did the motorcycle gang rebuild the fucking passageway so quickly? And YES, I saw the rocks on both sides, but they rebuilt the archway too.

This along with the idea that Furiousa needed a war machine to travel a big day and a half into the wasteland to find her hometown. If not for the being pursued by Joe and his crew that place seemed pretty easy to get to.

Forget how did they return so quickly. How did the motorcycle gang rebuild the fucking passageway so quickly? And YES, I saw the rocks on both sides, but they rebuilt the archway too.

This along with the idea that Furiousa needed a war machine to travel a big day and a half into the wasteland to find her hometown. If not for the being pursued by Joe and his crew that place seemed pretty easy to get to.

She had to have that tankard of petrol to get through the pass safely. Hence why she needed that big ass truck.

What the fuck is up with all the spoiler tags? There's a spoiler thread where you guys can discuss whatever you want.
But what is the reason to come into a thread about a movie post release? And what's the conversation for folks who have seen it? I never thought there should be a separate spoiler thread.

War Boy

It's because he is just too damn happy from sleeping with Jennifer Lawrence.

DopeToast

Banned
I just watched Mad Max 1 and 2 yesterday and am going to watch 3 tomorrow before going to see the new one this weekend.

1 was good, a little weird and noticeably low-budget, but good. It's the kind of late 70s action movie where not much is explained and you just kind of have to go with it. The dialog was a little hard to hear, and there wasn't too much of it. These aren't huge complaints as I still enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Sad how it ended.

2 was a HUGE step-up and was exciting from beginning to end. Side characters weren't as developed as they could have maybe been, other than the dopey side-kick guy with the flying machine and the little kid who didn't speak. Other than that I have no complaints, though. Super fantastic action. Dark, creepy villains. Was rooting for Max and the others the whole time.

Hopefully 3 will be good. These have me very excited for Fury Road.

HarryKS

I think this film had more real character development than any blockbuster in recent memory.

And it took place in and around a truck. Amazing.

Have you seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes?

It's has a more coherent character arc.

Mad Max Fury Road is a spectacle more than a movie.

gabbo

Saw it last night. My only negative was the music, which I didn't think always worked.
Other than that, absolutely amazing film.

BobLoblaw

Banned
But what is the reason to come into a thread about a movie post release? And what's the conversation for folks who have seen it? I never thought there should be a separate spoiler thread.
To post your thoughts on the movie in general without spoilers or revealing major plot points. You know, the same way it's been for the past few dozen pages in this thread.

Blader

Absolutely, but know going in that you've seen the peak of the series (which is either RW or FR depending on personal tastes).

Think of it like the Star Wars OT. MM is A New Hope and BT is Jedi.

That's fair. Jedi was always my favorite as a kid anyway!

muteki

I just watched Mad Max 1 and 2 yesterday and am going to watch 3 tomorrow before going to see the new one this weekend.

1 was good, a little weird and noticeably low-budget, but good. It's the kind of late 70s action movie where not much is explained and you just kind of have to go with it. The dialog was a little hard to hear, and there wasn't too much of it. These aren't huge complaints as I still enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Sad how it ended.

2 was a HUGE step-up and was exciting from beginning to end. Side characters weren't as developed as they could have maybe been, other than the dopey side-kick guy with the flying machine and the little kid who didn't speak. Other than that I have no complaints, though. Super fantastic action. Dark, creepy villains. Was rooting for Max and the others the whole time.

Hopefully 3 will be good. These have me very excited for Fury Road.

I got the BD 3-pack for my birthday recently as I haven't seen any of them previously (at least not start to finish). I had a similar reaction.

I actually watched the first one for 30 minutes or so before I thought something was wrong with the audio and finally figured out that I was watching the dub. Really liked the first movie, though it is quite tragic.

2 and 3 are interesting movies, but one thing about these that is either not there or I am missing is there is very little setup or background plot. Nothing is really explained to you as far a the why and how for general things about the world. Stuff just...happens and you are along for the ride.

Nerokis

Wonderful movie. It's pretty different than what I'm used to from the action genre recently, but almost entirely for the better.

The characters were surprisingly endearing across the board, but Furiosa was the best. Every single emotion she expressed, all her motivations and actions, were so believable and seemed so genuine. Between Charlize Theron's portrayal and the way the character was written, I walked away from the theater feeling something I hadn't in a very long time: a movie crush. :p

I do feel she was the heart of the movie, more or less the main character. In many ways her story wrapped up perfectly, but weirdly enough, I would feel less interested in a sequel without her in it.

In general, the way women were portrayed was a huge step up from the norm, particularly considering the genre. But beyond that, I feel Furiosa and the rest of the crew seriously need to inform future "action hero" characters, both male and female. Honestly can't quite remember the last time I felt so connected to so many characters who also happened to be badass fighters.

Top Bottom