• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Cosmozone

During my watch, I constantly had such a big grin on my face that was not from this world, while gripping my seat at the same time. Such a great film, traditional 80's quality catapulted into modern day. I'm in missionary mode now and am trying pulling other people into it.

For people that haven't seen the old Mad Max films, I think it might be a cool idea to see the first film only before Fury Road, because civilization is on the brink of collapsing there and seeing FR after it would give a great contrast showing the final state of the world.

I never knew that Miller was originally set to write and direct Contact. His version sounds so intriguing. It's interesting that Warner rejected his script because they thought it would have been a bit to challenging for audiences, as it lacked a lot of exposition. So they went with a much more "play it safe" adaptation by Robert Zemeckis.

It is also nice to hear that Miller is so confident with Mad Max that he doesn't feel the need to release an extended cut.

kewlmyc

I want Mad Max Fury Road to be successful way more than I've wanted any movie before. Even more than Pacific Rim and I pushed that super hard. I'm telling everyone I know to go see it. Gonna go see it a second time, when I get the chance.

This movie kicked all kinds of ass and might just be up there in my top 5 movies.

hamchan

Gonna watch this like three times and tell everyone to watch it. That way I wash my hands if this bombs and can blame society as a whole for just sucking.

So amusingly, on my way into the cinema to see this, two of the guys from The Xcerts (see my avatar) were being turned away because it was sold out.

It was super weird.

Karkador

Banned
Anyone see this in D-Box? If so, can you describe the experience and let me know if it was worth it? Thanks!

Reposting this from earlier in the thread:

The most memorable aspect of the DBOX for this one was that it seems they fed car engine sounds directly to the vibration programming of the seats. It felt like I was sitting in the vehicles and could feel the revving and the gear shifts, and that really added an extra added dimension to the car scenes (so, most of the movie).

LosDaddie

Banned
Took the wife to see it last night. Excellent move. Crazy. Just crazy.

I would've like a little less feminism in the movie, but overall the movie kicked ass. Always good to have quality R rated action movies. My wife enjoyed it.

I'm glad I got to see it in the theater. Sound design was superb.

Arkanius

Took the wife to see it last night. Excellent move. Crazy. Just crazy.

I would've like a little less feminism in the movie, but overall the movie kicked ass. Always good to have quality R rated action movies. My wife enjoyed it.

I'm glad I got to see it in the theater. Sound design was superb.

I've seen it being pulled multiple times already
Feminism? What?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've seen it being pulled multiple times already
Feminism? What?
It's a very feminist movie in the true sense of the world. Shows women treated as objects by a patriarchical society and then they reject that.

I don't understand being put off by that though.. It certainly isn't preachy about anything.

jerry113

Banned
I didn't see this as a feminist movie. Moreso, I thought it supported sexual equality. The male and female protagonist have to work together to overcome obstacles - man and woman need EACH other.

LosDaddie

Banned
It's a very feminist movie in the true sense of the world. Shows women treated as objects by a patriarchical society and then they reject that.

I don't understand being put off by that though.. It certainly isn't preachy about anything.

Right. The movie certainly has female empowerment written all over it. And I wasn't put off by it. I stated that enjoyed the movie. Just that I didn't care to have the theme be so blatant.

Is that ok to say on GAF? Or does that mean I hate women? :)

Linconan

Well, it's a popcorn flick.

Good movie in it's own right but yeah..
It should've just been called, Fury Road.
"Mad Max" name, was just the seller.

My order,
MAD MAX>MAD MAX 2>>>>>>>>>>Fury Road>Beyond Thunderdome

Can't wait still (and have been since announcement)... till MAD MAX game, and i feel it'll have a more MAD MAX Concept than Fury Road. And, most likely what will drive my fanboy heart. lol

gatti-man

Right. The movie certainly has female empowerment written all over it. And I wasn't put off by it. I stated that enjoyed the movie. Just that I didn't care to have the theme be so blatant.

But it wasn't a theme. It fit flawlessly in the story and didn't seem forced at all. Everything was realistic and believable. That's why the movie is so great. I think it only comes off as in your face or even a theme to people who can't see women as anything aggressive or physical.

EDIT: beaten lol

Write-up by a fetal amputee, Laura, on Furiosa. Good read.

My Reaction to Mad Max: Fury Road and the Utter Perfection that is Imperator Furiosa

I am what’s called a fetal amputee. Fancy way for saying I was born with a missing limb. I’ve written about this on here before, but it’s been a long time and I’ve gained a lot of new followers recently (hai guyz) so it might be news to some of you.

This is me.
tumblr_inline_nom2lgwMft1qd1b5p_500.jpg

This is Charlize Theron as Furiosa.
tumblr_inline_nom2pxdOIM1qd1b5p_400.jpg

I am just about the biggest advocate for “representation matters” there is, but as a white woman I never really felt it applied to me all that much. Watching Fury Road, I realized how wrong I was. I’ve been this way my entire life and I’ve never felt “handicapped.” I’m disabled, yes – there’s shit I just can’t do, but an invalid I am not. For the most part I’ve always approached life with a “figure out how to do it and just get it done” attitude; I am loathe to admit I can’t do anything and I never give up without exhausting all the possibilities available to me. Watching Fury Road, I felt like I was watching my own struggle brought to life (albeit in a very fantastical setting), and I don’t think I ever realized how truly profound that could be for me.

Watch Furiosa load a shotgun. Watch Furiosa punch Max in the face, with her nubbins. Watch Furiosa drive a semi tractor trailer. Watch Furiosa fire a long shot, using Max’s shoulder to stabilize the gun barrel, as an alternative to using two hands! Watch Furiosa do anything you can do, but better, and with half the number of fingers.

The effortless manner in which this film has presented a character’s disability is incredible. I literally could not ask for anything more. It’s ubiquitous. No big deal. Her body is never a plot point. It is simply allowed to be. Let’s have some bullet points:

• The existence of her missing hand is never mentioned in dialogue. Not once. I find this simple fact so powerful.
  • It is not made into something ludicrous for the lulz a la the gun leg in Grindhouse. Her prosthetic is realistic – it looks like something a real amputee would actually wear and use.
  • There’s no reference made to any tragic backstory regarding her limb. We have no idea how she lost it, or if she lost it. It may very well be a birth defect. More on that later, cause that’s totally my interpretation.
  • NO. ONE. EVER. FEELS. SORRY. FOR. HER. BECAUSE. OF. HER. DISABILITY.

In addition to being a total badass, the TRULY amazing thing about Furiosa is that she is also KIND, EMOTIONAL, AND COMPASSIONATE. The main plot of the film is her struggle to help these women escape abuse and slavery, to return to her homeland and family, and find peace in a simple life, away from war and suffering. She transcends the female action star stereotype of the unfeeling hard ass. It’s as if she were an actual human being, with real emotions and struggles, not reduced to a caricature of human existence.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This movie has been lighting up my Twitter feed in a way that I don't think I've ever seen anything else do. Crazy movie. I really hope it has huge legs

LosDaddie

Banned
But it wasn't a theme. It fit flawlessly in the story and didn't seem forced at all. Everything was realistic and believable. That's why the movie is so great. I think it only comes off as in your face or even a theme to people who can't see women as anything aggressive or physical.

Different opinions and all that :)

RE_Player

Don't get me wrong I really liked the movie but the way people were describing it too me and all the chatter on my Twitter feed it made it sound like a masterpiece. Tom Hardy was ok I guess but this is really Charlize Theron's movie and she did a superb job. I think people are just really taken aback by the pacing because they've been over saturated on cookie cutter Marvel and Taken like action movies.

Edit: Oh and Nicholas Hoult was awesome too.

Also I was waiting for Max to say "If it's all the same to you... I'll drive that tanker."

For all of the hype about the movie's supposedly aggressive feminism, this was a refreshing perspective.

From the blogpost:

In conclusion. This movie is feminist. It is powerful. It presents ability in a realistic, beautiful way.

Kind of a weird way to frame that story you just shared, honestly. It's a great blogpost. Presenting it as some sort of counter to the "aggressive" feminism people are(n't) seeing in the movie isn't doing that post any favors at all.

Game4life

Banned
Don't get me wrong I really liked the movie but the way people were describing it too me and all the chatter on my Twitter feed it made it sound like a masterpiece. Tom Hardy was ok I guess but this is really Charlize Theron's movie and she did a superb job. I think people are just really taken aback by the pacing because they've been over saturated on cookie cutter Marvel and Taken like action movies.

Edit: Oh and Nicholas Hoult was awesome too.

Also I was waiting for Max to say "If it's all the same to you... I'll drive that tanker."

A lot of people do think it is a masterpiece though. I happen to agree with them as well. Easily one of the greatest action films of all time.

Dommo

I didn't see this as a feminist movie. Moreso, I thought it supported sexual equality. The male and female protagonist have to work together to overcome obstacles - man and woman need EACH other.

Yeah but that's what feminism is. The desire for equality across sexes. And that's why this is a great feminist film.

It most certainly was a theme. Or at least, the negative effects of oppression in general was a theme. It is the major controlling idea of the entire story. It's the thing that informs and directs everything in the film. Even the action is structured in a way to directly dramatise and exaggerate the idea of pushing back against oppression and patriarchy.

Filmmakers are not (or at least shouldn't be) in the business of trying to slip a political statement in a few lines amongst the 'entertainment' and brutal action. They shouldn't be thinking "Oh, the message is too obvious. Dial it back a few notches until no one really realises it's about that."

On the contrary, they're trying to, as clearly as possible, communicate an idea to the audience in whatever way they know how, in this case, it's about women (and more generally, anyone) being oppressed by a larger system, and it's communicated to us through relentless, physical action, where the oppressed are desperately trying to escape from the oppressors. The film is actively wanting you to feel and understand what it's like to be oppressed and what that frustrated, furious desire to push back against it feels like.

This is not some kind of manipulation on the part of the filmmakers to trick you into feeling something, nor is it a case of "Eat your vegetables or else no dessert for you." Mad Max: Fury Road is wholly entwined with feminism and oppression, and to say "tone it down" is to misunderstand that that's the core, driving force of the movie.

RE_Player

A lot of people do think it is a masterpiece though. I happen to agree with them as well. Easily one of the greatest action films of all time.
Even if you really like the movie, which I do, that's crazy talk. No matter what medium you have to sit on the piece for awhile and think about it again with a clear head before saying something is the best in its genre.

Totakeke

Even if you really like the movie, which I do, that's crazy talk. No matter what medium you have to sit on the piece for awhile and think about it again with a clear head before saying something is the best in its genre.

It's best in the genre.

There's really no objective reasoning for these kind of things you know? The best you can do is counter recommend another movie that is strictly superior.

LosDaddie

Banned
Whether or not you hate women has nothing to do with whether or not you visit NeoGAF.

ok!

FR is certainly one of the best action films in recent years. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, though. The R rating was definitely needed.

Filmmakers are not (or at least shouldn't be) in the business of trying to slip a political statement in a few lines amongst the 'entertainment' and brutal action. They shouldn't be thinking "Oh, the message is too obvious. Dial it back a few notches until no one really realises it's about that."

On the contrary, they're trying to, as clearly as possible, communicate an idea to the audience in whatever way they know how, in this case, it's about women (and more generally, anyone) being oppressed by a larger system, and it's communicated to us through relentless, physical action, where the oppressed are desperately trying to escape from the oppressors. The film is actively wanting you to feel and understand what it's like to be oppressed and what that frustrated, furious desire to push back against it feels like.

This is not some kind of manipulation on the part of the filmmakers to trick you into feeling something, nor is it a case of "Eat your vegetables or else no dessert for you." Mad Max: Fury Road is wholly entwined with feminism and oppression, and to say "tone it down" is to misunderstand that that's the core, driving force of the movie.

I didn't misunderstand the movie's statement one bit. It's kind of like Elysium where the director/writer beat you over the head with the movie's theme. Again, different opinions & all that.

Saya

I watched it three times. Still think it is one of the best action films ever made. Top 10 for sure. Top 5 maybe.

BocoDragon

He said one of the best. I don't think you need time's perspective to say it's one of the best.

Maximo

Yeah never had a problem with it, the strong feminist undertones didn't even register with me, I just saw strong women that were like that because of the world they lived in. Much like I would expect anyone no matter what age or gender to be hardened by that world they lived in, didn't think *Wow this a good feminist movie" I just thought " Those are some mother fucking badass grandmas!"

Game4life

Banned

I said one of the best. Sure with time my opinion may change but as of right now I def have not seen too many action movies that have outclassed the phenomenal work done here. The last time I felt like this was the Matrix and before that Terminator 2.

lol update us if he dislikes Furiosa

I really dont think anyone who watches this movie will hate Furiosa. Furiosa is now up there among the legendary women action movie characters category right alongside Ripley and Sarah Connor.In fact in many ways she is much better than the other two.

BocoDragon

Yeah never had a problem with it, the strong feminist undertones didn't even register with me, I just saw strong women that were like that because of the world they lived in. Much like I would expect anyone no matter what age or gender to be hardened by that world they lived in, didn't think *Wow this a good feminist movie" I just thought " Those are some mother fucking badass grandmas!"
I think people see feminism intrinsically in the patriarchical society/women made into subservient property aspect that a lot of non-feminists often haven't studied much about.

It's not a particularly feminist film for the "strong woman character" aspect. That's kind of a dime a dozen mainstream Hollywood trope lately.

People shouldn't shy away from calling Fury Road a feminist film just because it might turn away some people who really can't stand anything and everything that might even be remotely associated with feminism. Like Dommo said, feminism is the desire for equality across sexes, how anyone can see that as a bad thing is beyond me.

You don't need to see the underlying themes to enjoy the movie and you can certainly ignore them if you please, but they're certainly there. Fury Road and its women say it loud and clear, "WE ARE NOT THINGS."

Dommo

I didn't misunderstand the movie's statement one bit. It's kind of like Elysium where the director/writer beat you over the head with the movie's theme. Again, different opinions & all that.

I didn't say you misunderstood the movie's statement. I said you're misunderstanding that it's the core driving force of the film. You saying "beating you over the head" reinforces this. The film was clear in its storytelling. It was unabashedly a feminist film that wanted you to feel what it's like to be oppressed and the desire to fight back against that. It wanted you to clearly and fully feel those emotions. And considering feminism is a valuable, topical, important movement, this is completely welcome. Diluting this doesn't make for a stronger film.

And it achieved all of this through strong, dramatic storytelling, relying on next to no exposition. It wasn't a lecture or a dump of information. It was telling a dramatic story in the hopes of eliciting an emotional response in its audience. Which is what all stories are aiming to do.

In this case, "beating you over the head" is equivalent to saying "This steak is really beating me over the head with its full, enriching flavours."

Simo

Anyone else grab the comic? He gives a brief back story on Nux with the rest of the issue dedicated to Immortan Joe that only details him and how the Citadel came to be but also The Bullet Farmer, People Eater and the establishment of Bullet Farm and Gas Town.

Again the comic seems to establish that not only does Fury Road take place within the chronology of the previous films but that the video game does too.

BocoDragon

Anyone else grab the comic? He gives a brief back story on Nux with the rest of the issue dedicated to Immortan Joe that only details him and how the Citadel came to be but also The Bullet Farmer, People Eater and the establishment of Bullet Farm and Gas Town.

Again the comic seems to establish that not only does Fury Road take place within the chronology of the previous films but that the video game does too.
I don't usually care about these comic movie tie ins, but I find myself really wanting to know more about the world that was alluded to but never explained.

I don't think we'll necessarily see the Fury Road society explained in a feature film, so I'll be curious to see what that comic shows...

Top Bottom