• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Simo

I don't usually care about these comic movie tie ins, but I find myself really wanting to know more about the world that was alluded to but never explained.

I don't think we'll necessarily see the Fury Road society explained in a feature film, so I'll be curious to see what that comic shows...

Well worth it and the comics were written by George Miller, Nico Lathouris and Mark Sexton who were the guys responsible for Fury Road's script/story boards, minus Brendan McCarthy.

I wish I could share the first issue with you guys but I don't want to end up in trouble so check it out if you can! Next month's issue will cover Furiosa's back story and the Wives with some killer art work.

p2535748

I didn't say you misunderstood the movie's statement. I said you're misunderstanding that it's the core driving force of the film. You saying "beating you over the head" reinforces this. The film was clear in its storytelling. It was unabashedly a feminist film that wanted you to feel what it's like to be oppressed and the desire to fight back against that. It wanted you to clearly and fully feel those emotions. And considering feminism is a valuable, topical, important movement, this is completely welcome. Diluting this doesn't make for a stronger film.

And it achieved all of this through strong, dramatic storytelling, relying on next to no exposition. It wasn't a lecture or a dump of information. It was telling a dramatic story in the hopes of eliciting an emotional response in its audience. Which is what all stories are aiming to do.

In this case, "beating you over the head" is equivalent to saying "This steak is really beating me over the head with its full, enriching flavours."

Absolutely. Honestly, maybe the best part of this movie is the efficiency in setting up themes and storytelling. It's two hours long, is jam packed with action and yet there's just an incredible amount of world building, seamless exposition and thematic meat.

What a fantastic film.

LosDaddie

Banned
I didn't say you misunderstood the movie's statement. I said you're misunderstanding that it's the core driving force of the film. You saying "beating you over the head" reinforces this. The film was clear in its storytelling. It was unabashedly a feminist film that wanted you to feel what it's like to be oppressed and the desire to fight back against that. It wanted you to clearly and fully feel those emotions. And considering feminism is a valuable, topical, important movement, this is completely welcome. Diluting this doesn't make for a stronger film.

And it achieved all of this through strong, dramatic storytelling, relying on next to no exposition. It wasn't a lecture or a dump of information. It was telling a dramatic story in the hopes of eliciting an emotional response in its audience. Which is what all stories are aiming to do.

In this case, "beating you over the head" is equivalent to saying "This steak is really beating me over the head with its full, enriching flavours."

Statement/Driving Force of the film...same thing here. I didn't misunderstand it. Like you said, the storytelling was clear. But like I said earlier, I just didn't like it being beat over the head with the statement (ie Elysium). For example, I thought the old woman gang was awesome & a highlight of the movie, but I also laughed at the "OLD WOMEN KICK ASS TOO!!" message being sent.

But yeah, again, different opinions & all that. It's ok to have those. At least we both enjoyed the movie. :)

Pickman

Just saw it in RPX 2D. The rear channel of the Dolby Atmos system was out and all of Imortan Joe's dialog runs on that channel, so the villain was mute. I complained to the theater and they wouldn't do a goddamned thing.

Ixion

feminism is the desire for equality across sexes, how anyone can see that as a bad thing is beyond me.

Let's take a step back and look at the general plot of the film, which is that a group of good, perfectly sane women fight back against evil men with the aid of two crazy, but helpful men.

George Miller said himself this is a feminist film, so if that's what feminism is supposed to be, you can see why people would be put off by it. Sure, Nux's arc represents feminism's stance on solving male issues, and the interplay between Max and Furiosa showcases equal respect between a man and a woman. But why not at least have power-hungry, selfish women, etc, who are also gunning for Immortan Joe? Nope, the women are all good-natured, with their worst characteristic being they're sometimes too distrustful of men. On the other hand, all of the men are evil, while two men prove to be helpful.

That doesn't seem equal to me. Just because women haven't held the power to do terrible things, doesn't mean those women don't exist. Of course they do. And yes, a film doesn't need to meet a quota for having certain types of characters, but this is a self-proclaimed feminist film.

I really dont think anyone who watches this movie will hate Furiosa. Furiosa is now up there among the legendary women action movie characters category right alongside Ripley and Sarah Connor.In fact in many ways she is much better than the other two.
Oh man, you don't know about NotTheGuyYouKill's cousin?!

My cousin is a crazy mysogonistic dick obsessed with rape and fascism.

He has incredibly unhealthy attitudes towards women. He's always talking about rape. Seriously, rape. All the fucking time. Here's an actual quote he said. You know what it was about? A character in Agents of SHIELD. I was watching the episode with Lorelei and Sif. He saw Lorelei punch a dude into a car or something, and he's like "Wow, what a bitch. Somebody should rape her." He watched a girl wear shorts on Banshee (Dava) and he said "With clothes like that, isn't she asking somebody to rape her?" This is just the two most recent examples. Once I was referring to some comic book villain, offhandedly, as a real nasty piece of shit, and he just says "Does he rape people?" I wasn't even sure what to say to that. I just ignored it for my sanity.

He hates, hates when women are depicted as being stronger than men. I didn't take him to see 300: Rise of an Empire because I knew he'd spend the entire film bitching about Eva Green being tougher than any man. He thinks women are inherently weaker and that if they show strength or dominance over man, it's some kind of fucking affront to his masculinity. Any time there's a woman in some position of power or asserting some sort of dominance or (physical) strength, there's a 50% chance he'll say 'bitch', 'cunt' or something.

Anyone else grab the comic? He gives a brief back story on Nux with the rest of the issue dedicated to Immortan Joe that only details him and how the Citadel came to be but also The Bullet Farmer, People Eater and the establishment of Bullet Farm and Gas Town.

Again the comic seems to establish that not only does Fury Road take place within the chronology of the previous films but that the video game does too.

What's the timeline?

Mad Max
RW
TD
Fury Road

?

Slixshot

Banned
Peeps who are saying they didn't think it was a masterpiece: you're in the minority and that's ok. Let's be real, we can't all look at the Mona Lisa and consider that one of the finest pieces of art ever created (I know I don't), yet it is still regarded as such.

A movie can never satisfy ever person's expectations, wants, and needs. It just so happens that this one exceeds most for most people.

Toothless

One thing I find really refreshing about it is how it's casually R. No gratuitous language, sex, nudity or gore; it's just the insanity of the action, the shot of the women being milked (which is definitely not sexualized), and
the removal of that baby.
It feels gritty, but not like it's trying hard to be gritty, which is a rare balance to strike nowadays.

hoola

Neo Member
It was pretty good, but not amazing. Reminded me of 300 quite a bit in that they were both films set on earth but still had some odd fantasy elements in creature/character design, and the way that those oddities were introduced to viewers. Acting was pretty good, but I wish Max played a bigger role - they could have made the entire movie without him. It was also pretty obvious that
the Green Place wasn't going to exist and that they would ultimately "fail" in their quest. Furiosa going back and becoming a leader was the sort of "meh" moment you would expect from a story like this

I wasn't really impressed with it other than the visuals. It seemed a little to focused on action and explosions, probably to satisfy the modern day lust for everything that goes boom (Transformers, Avengers, etc...)

I'd probably give an 8 or 8.5 out of 10. Good movie, but pretty typical besides the visuals.

Totakeke

One common theme among people not as enamored with this film is that most of them was disappointed Max didn't play a bigger role.

Personally I don't understand why that really matters that much... but I can see why it may provide people with wrong expectations going into the movie.

RE_Player

One common theme among people not as enamored with this film is that most of them was disappointed Max didn't play a bigger role.

Personally I don't understand why that really matters that much... but I can see why it may provide people with wrong expectations going into the movie.
I wasn't disappointed that Max didn't play a bigger role it's that his role was rather empty. I actually admire them taking the themes and world of the character of "Mad Max" and applying them to a story that isn't focused on him. It's just that the small role he did have I would have liked a little more substance from it.

hamchan

I wasn't disappointed that Max didn't play a bigger role it's that his role was rather empty. I actually admire them taking the themes and world of the character of "Mad Max" and applying them to a story that isn't focused on him. It's just that the small role he did have I would have liked a little more substance from it.

I don't really know what you mean by this.

Lunar15

Given all the talk, I expected Max to be a non-factor. But he wasn't. He had an arc, it was great, and it tied into the overall theme of finding humanity out of madness and not treating people as objects for survival.

hamchan

Given all the talk, I expected Max to be a non-factor. But he wasn't. He had an arc, it was great, and it tied into the overall theme of finding humanity out of madness and not treating people as objects for survival.

I loved that he seemed pretty crazy at the start of the movie and slowly became more sane as the movie progressed.

Irnbru

I bought the soundtrack in digital and CD on Amazon. And the art book.

I got the vinyl from Mondo... So freaking excited to get it

MMFR-Vinyl_Cover_A.jpg

Christine

Alright, I caved and bought the art book. Lol this movie has a hold on me.

The only thing I can think to compare it to is how my parents describe their experience of Star Wars. These are the people who put The Road Warrior in front of my eyes as soon as my tiny brain could process it, so there's a considerable weight of nostalgia on the other end of the scales. I've slept 4 days since I saw the movie, and I'm going to see it again tomorrow. I've never done that for a theatrical release before.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I can think to compare it to is how my parents describe their experience of Star Wars. These are the people who put The Road Warrior in front of my eyes as soon as my tiny brain could process it, so there's a considerable weight of nostalgia on the other end of the scales.
Have they seen Fury Road?

maharg

idspispopd
I'm rewatching the original movies, haven't seen them since I was a kid/teenager basically. I think Road Warrior is really the only one that holds up particularly well. The other two feel way more a product of their time. Not that that's a mark on their quality or anything, it's just harder to relate to them now.

I think Fury Road will probably be more like Road Warrior in the long run.

Trey

I watched Road Warrior for the first time after seeing Fury Road. I enjoyed the latter considerably more, but I see why folks hold up Road Warrior as an example.

Second viewing made the movie a lot better. Some moments didn't click me on my first viewing but did this time, such as the scene where
the red head wive met Nux.
I suddenly got really emotional.

hamchan

I hope the prequel part only concerns his little girl hallucinations and that it's still an entirely new situation that involves Max just stumbling on it, doing his thing and apparently failing at the end, setting up why he's crazy at the start of Fury Road.

Top Bottom