• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| What a Lovely Day | RT: 98% | Metacritic: 89

Didn't like it very much. There's basically no plot or dialogue and I got fatigued from watching cars explode fairly quickly to be honest. I love Mad Max 2 but I don't think this movie had anything to do with that? Max's role was minuscule.

DOWN

Banned
Okay, planning on D Box tonight. Seems that only the back two rows have D Box seats though hmmm (This theatre is only 10 rows though, and I've never been there so I fear it's a shitty theatre). I usually don't sit that far back, but I think I'll suck it up in the second to last row. Is this typical for D-Box?

Going by myself so I won't be disturbed! Hopefully.

Calabi

Let's take a step back and look at the general plot of the film, which is that a group of good, perfectly sane women fight back against evil men with the aid of two crazy, but helpful men.

George Miller said himself this is a feminist film, so if that's what feminism is supposed to be, you can see why people would be put off by it. Sure, Nux's arc represents feminism's stance on solving male issues, and the interplay between Max and Furiosa showcases equal respect between a man and a woman. But why not at least have power-hungry, selfish women, etc, who are also gunning for Immortan Joe? Nope, the women are all good-natured, with their worst characteristic being they're sometimes too distrustful of men. On the other hand, all of the men are evil, while two men prove to be helpful.

That doesn't seem equal to me. Just because women haven't held the power to do terrible things, doesn't mean those women don't exist. Of course they do. And yes, a film doesn't need to meet a quota for having certain types of characters, but this is a self-proclaimed feminist film.

According to Charlize Theron, Furios's motivatoin was revenge, that's the way she played it. Notice she doesnt say the wife's name's or doesnt really talk to them that much. Immortan joe did something bad to her, so she did the worst thing she could to get back at him. That's why she said she liked the character.

Finally going to watch this movie today after work. Found a cinema here that shows movies in the Original Dub AND has a big screen. Yass. 6 hours to go.

DeathyBoy

Banned
That doesn't seem equal to me. Just because women haven't held the power to do terrible things, doesn't mean those women don't exist. Of course they do. And yes, a film doesn't need to meet a quota for having certain types of characters, but this is a self-proclaimed feminist film.

Uh, did you miss Furiosa's entire arc? She did fucked up shit to survive. This is her redemption - and a way to mess with Joe. So automatically she's doing something noble for both noble, and selfish, reasons.

And the women they run into? They use a naked woman as bait to, I'm guessing, kill men who come by and steal their shit.

The female characters in this film are not saints, at all. They're characters. Comprised of good and bad points. Same as Max. No-one is entirely good or bad (Joe is revolting, but more complex than 'generic villain 257.') Which is probably why people see it as a feminist film - the female characters aren't angels or whores,. they're just people.

They got a hell of a good thing going on here, wouldn't want to see it tarnished now it's hit rave reviews status. The following movies may never be as good again but this movie, I've never came out of the cinema and being hit by adrenaline before. Literal shocker, all the would be movies I anticipated for years and this movie I didn't even pay much attention to prior to release pretty much shames them all.

DeathyBoy

Banned
They got a hell of a good thing going on here, wouldn't want to see it tarnished now it's hit rave reviews status. The following movies may never be as good again but this movie, I've never came out of the cinema and being hit by adrenaline before. Literal shocker, all the would be movies I anticipated for years and this movie I didn't even pay much attention to prior to release pretty much shames them all.

No two Mad Max films are the same.

Miller will carry us to Valhalla, brother.

deleted

That is pretty important for experiencing the movie like we did. Despite being made over a lot of years, there wasn't much hype around the movie. Nobody expected greatness, many a solid movie. I'm a big fan of the Mad Max series, but I didn't bother to look up much info concerning this movie, since I thought it would be a CGI fest (thought the sandstorm in the trailer was the finale) and a modern blockbuster - I expected it to be mediocre to good (especially after that trailer), but never did I imagine to get this kind of movie...

If I know many plot points and visuals concerning a movie, I'm much less likely to get disappointed, since I know were it's going and I may be able to overlook certain flaws, since my mind doesn't start to make up how it could fix the movie. Same movie with no information or hype whatsoever - I'll be extremely disappointed. On the other hand, I'm only completely flashed by a movie, if it manages to get me unprepared and I won't know what's coming next.
It's getting pretty difficult for me to juggle the right amount of Hype with the right amount of media blackout to experience new movies with a positive attitude and still being blown away by movies. It worked perfectly with Fury Road though :)

Ixion

According to Charlize Theron, Furios's motivatoin was revenge, that's the way she played it. Notice she doesnt say the wife's name's or doesnt really talk to them that much. Immortan joe did something bad to her, so she did the worst thing she could to get back at him. That's why she said she liked the character.

Uh, did you miss Furiosa's entire arc? She did fucked up shit to survive. This is her redemption - and a way to mess with Joe. So automatically she's doing something noble for both noble, and selfish, reasons.

And the women they run into? They use a naked woman as bait to, I'm guessing, kill men who come by and steal their shit.

The female characters in this film are not saints, at all. They're characters. Comprised of good and bad points. Same as Max. No-one is entirely good or bad (Joe is revolting, but more complex than 'generic villain 257.') Which is probably why people see it as a feminist film - the female characters aren't angels or whores,. they're just people.

Sure, Furiosa and the other women were on the same level of morality as Max and Nux. But there were no women as bad as the evil men in charge.

ogbg

How's the box office? Did it flop?

It more or less matched predictions in the US ($44M weekend). It's made a further $10.5M on Monday and Tuesday. International was a bit under predictions at $65M. Total worldwide is currently at $120M (based on US first 5 days and international weekend)

It's a very feminist movie in the true sense of the world. Shows women treated as objects by a patriarchical society and then they reject that.

I don't understand being put off by that though.. It certainly isn't preachy about anything.
It also has boys being used for war and
getting away from it to choose your own side
so there's that.

I never knew that Miller was originally set to write and direct Contact. His version sounds so intriguing. It's interesting that Warner rejected his script because they thought it would have been a bit to challenging for audiences, as it lacked a lot of exposition. So they went with a much more "play it safe" adaptation by Robert Zemeckis.

It is also nice to hear that Miller is so confident with Mad Max that he doesn't feel the need to release an extended cut.

Think about this for a moment: He was supposed to make a Justice League movie.

Could you imagine how incredible it would be if he had kickstarted the DC universe?

I mean, i'm glad he finally made Mad Max but my god I can't even imagine what he would've done with Superman at his disposal.

rLWSRBx.png

deleted

Think about this for a moment: He was supposed to make a Justice League movie.

Could you imagine how incredible it would be if he had kickstarted the DC universe?

I mean, i'm glad he finally made Mad Max but my god I can't even imagine what he would've done with Superman at his disposal.

If I had to choose between Fury Road and JL, I would choose Fury Road every time. JL could certainly be a good movie, but it would never be his vision and his project in every aspect like Fury Road is.

RangerX

Banned
Man I can't stop thinking about this film. Went to see it again and it was even better than the first time. The action,characterization, positive social themes and sheer imagination and world building are just perfect. What a complete and utter masterpiece. George Miller is 71 and he absolutely blew away modern action directors( except Gareth Edwards). Its an instant classic.

George Miller is 71 and he absolutely blew away modern action directors( except Gareth Edwards). Its an instant classic.

Your parenthetical intrigues me.

What action scene in any of Gareth Edwards' two movies measures up to anything in Fury Road?

Or did you mean Gareth Evans?

In which case - i'm less intrigued, but still curious, as I don't think either Raid movie measures up to this, still.

RangerX

Banned
Your parenthetical intrigues me.

What action scene in any of Gareth Edwards' two movies measures up to anything in Fury Road?

Or did you mean Gareth Evans?

In which case - i'm less intrigued, but still curious, as I don't think either Raid movie measures up to this, still.

Sorry yeah I meant Gareth Evans. I would agree that this is better than both Raid movies but they're still the only two recent action movies that can even hold a candle to this imo. Fury road wns out through sheer inventiveness and depth. Theres so much going on besides the action, which is already genre best.

Must be all those amazing monster fight scenes that nobody saw. Until the last two posts, I actually had forgotten what a disappointing mess Godzilla was to me. Fury Road is the anti Godzilla in every way imaginable.

Must be all those amazing monster fight scenes that nobody saw. Until the last two posts, I actually had forgotten what a disappointing mess Godzilla was to me. Fury Road is the anti Godzilla in every way imaginable.
Way different movie but a comparable scene would be Max in the bog (showing restraint as a film maker). Godzilla is closer to Jaws than, say, Terminator 2.

Just devoured the Mad Max: Fury Road: Nux and Immortan Joe comic while waiting on an oil change at the dealer...I want more. Can't wait for the backstory on Furiosa.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Do you guys think it's worth seeing this movie in imax 3d? I heard this wasn't a native imax movie so I'm wondering if the bigger screen will benefit the experience at all.

DrBo42

Saw it yesterday. After having time to digest the viewing I think it's mostly a great movie but the third act ends up dragging and wearing out its welcome. The first few sequences and world building here are fantastic but once we reach the point
where they decide to literally backtrack along the same route
it noticeably drags/runs out of gas. It ends up re-treading too much of what we've already seen. Ultimately makes the build to the
Immortan Joe death
feel flat.

Am I alone?

Hiltz

I am thinking about going to see Mad Max today in a few hours, but I haven't really paid much attention to the previous Mad Max films. I tried watching them a few times, but lost interest. With that said, I know Fury Road isn't a continuation of the old Mad Max films, but for someone who hasn't been that interested in the previous films in the series, is Fury Road something you would still recommend ? I want to get my money's worth, especially when film prices have shot up over the years.

Another thing is I haven't seen a movie in a theater since 2010's Inception. It's been a long time and I've got the urge to finally see something.

-griffy-

Banned
I am thinking about going to see Mad Max today in a few hours, but I haven't really paid much attention to the previous Mad Max films. I tried watching them a few times, but lost interest. With that said, I know Fury Road isn't a continuation of the old Mad Mad films, but for someone who hasn't been that interested in the previous films in the series, is Fury Road something you would still recommend ? I want to get my money's worth, especially when film prices have shot up over the years.

Another thing is I haven't seen a movie in a theater since 2010's Inception. It's been a long time and I've got the urge to finally see something.

In the OP:
For Fury Road you DO NOT need to have watched the old Mad Max films to get the full enjoyment out of the movie. Fury Road is it's own entry not bogged down by any continuity or actions from the previous films. It's a "reimagining" where George Miller is using the film making techniques and technology of today to create a Mad Max film.

Anything you need to know about the character and the world is established in the first minute of the film, and it is a completely self contained story. GO SEE IT! There are small references/homages to the previous films, but they are more a fun bonus for people who notice them rather than anything crucial to the plot or your enjoyment of the film.

Hiltz

You will get your money's worth.

I'll probably go see it then. There's a showing in an hour and a half from now, I just wanted some reassurance, so thanks.

In the OP:

Anything you need to know about the character and the world is established in the first minute of the film, and it is a completely self contained story. GO SEE IT! There are smell references/homages to the previous films, but they are more a fun bonus for people who notice them rather than anything crucial to the plot or your enjoyment of the film.

Thanks, griffy. I'll go see it.

DrBo42

I am thinking about going to see Mad Max today in a few hours, but I haven't really paid much attention to the previous Mad Max films. I tried watching them a few times, but lost interest. With that said, I know Fury Road isn't a continuation of the old Mad Max films, but for someone who hasn't been that interested in the previous films in the series, is Fury Road something you would still recommend ? I want to get my money's worth, especially when film prices have shot up over the years.

Yeah even with the flaws it's definitely worth seeing. The world they've built is insane.

IndustryX

First movie I've ever seen twice in theatre. I enjoyed it just as much, if not more, the second time. So great, what a world George Miller built. Great movie easily best of the year and one of my all time favourites already. Can't stop thinking about it.

Yesterday, I mowed my lawn to this soundtrack. It was my first time using my good quality phones instead of ear buds.

I had spiky plants reaching out and grabbing me, moths and gnats dive bombing me, I even had to stop and move lawn furniture out of the way for safe passage. It was epic.

R-User!

Sorry yeah I meant Gareth Evans. I would agree that this is better than both Raid movies but they're still the only two recent action movies that can even hold a candle to this imo. Fury road wns out through sheer inventiveness and depth. Theres so much going on besides the action, which is already genre best.

Yeah...... There's so much THOUGHT put into virtually every moment of each scene in the film, and the editing is so tight, that between those two things, there isn't really any time of the viewers being wasted needlessly! What an engaging experience!

Bwaaaang bwaaaang!

Vroom!

VROOM!

Slixshot

Banned
I love how this has remained a popular topic for over a week now... :) Stay on the front page forever, Mad Max. You make me happy ^_^

Top Bottom