• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Agent

What a great episode, so many underlying themes and great scenes. It feels like things are building quickly and I am curious the direction we are heading in for the final episodes.

phanphare

Banned
pete said it best really. something like "for the first time I think whatever happens is what's supposed to happen".

shit's about to get real

Josh5890

Ok, at this point Roger has to be kicking himself in the nuts. He sold the company's soul just to save Don. Don't tell me he couldn't have been able convinced Joan to change her vote to keep Don.

Hazmat

Don's clothes continue to change. We've had blue shirts, now a striped shirt and a red tie. And I think tan pants at work!

Also, that's the saddest bunch of millionaires being absorbed into an enormous industry leader that I've ever seen.

megamerican

Fantastic episode.

Only thing that got me was the sound mix after the announcement made it seem like there was an arena of people there when there was like maybe 20 or so.

I thought the ending was way too...on the nose?

Like, how realistic is it that all the employees would clear the room that quickly and not even stick around to hear specifics? I understand why it was thematically important for Don to continue to lose everything that made him who he is (the firm, his persuasive charms), but there were better ways to portray that, methinks.

Kudos to Peggy for her "Fuck her" moment. That was spectacular, and then sad, and then spectacular again when she verbalized for the first time what she really feels about her decision.

And Pete and Trudy need to get back together, and stay the hell out of suburban hell. They're simply better together, as Fifth Harmony would say, and in the "toilet" city that Pete so charmingly described :p

I'll grant the ending note seemed a little sudden-- but if everyone already heard the rumor and was just waiting to hear if it was true, it makes more sense. They got confirmation, went to go call headhunters.

I can forgive the awkwardness just for all the Peggy and Joan stuff.

Prompto

Banned
Episode really was amazing. It almost felt like a series finale at some parts. Also really get directing work from Jared Harris. That last shot especially.

Pryce

Of course the Jared Harris episode has Pete punching a man.

Pete seeing Peggy hug a child.

Peggy and Stan scenes. So ducking good. Everything. Just brilliant.

Rookje

tumblr_nng89rI14T1qb3ovdo2_1280.png

Reminded me of...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Stellar episode. The Peggy and Stan scene was the highlight for me. I love how they subverted expectations ("We've done it before") with the whole restructuring thing as well. The shot of them at the table was really great, reminded me of the end of season...5(?) where they were all standing and looking out of the windows on the second floor. Laughed at Lou's exit too. Oh and Pete actually getting the better of somebody in a fight lol.

I guess I'm fine with an episode ending like this because, well, it's a TV show that has allowed itself to be portrayed in a hyper-realistic way. Sure, in "real life" every employee would not flee as they did, but in the show I'm perfectly fine with that happening.

What bothered me more was Peggy's arch in this episode. We got the "she can't relate to kids" scene, and then (in my opinion the best scene in the episode) moment where Pete sees her hugging the kid (which anyone watching the show from episode 1 understood!), and then it keeps upping the ante on her emotions to the confrontation with the mother and finally to Stan and her confessional. I felt like the arch just kept getting more obvious to the point where it is spelled out to anyone who missed the first season or two. If you had been watching the series from the start, you got all that she was going through from those first two seasons, maybe giving you the pathos of the mother encounter, but the Stan explanation just seemed forced to those who skipped previous seasons.

Eh. It was a great episode anyway. Can we all just agree that the first person to post the Cooper "BRAVO" gif at the end of the series is an idiot? :p

that was kinda the most boring episode of the season for me. i guess i have little interest in the corporate structure in this series now, another company switch-up had me not caring much.

character moments within were great as usual though.

Rymuth

Best episode of season 7B (which is not saying much) - at some point, Matt Weiner got off on how much he enjoys people telling him how they loved his heavy-handed metaphors and decided to go off the rail with it. Yes, we get it - Don has mommy issues.

So many characters deserved more screen time given the finite number of episodes left. I'm glad we got this episode to atleast make *some* headway.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yep, well summed up. that's Mad Men. Don has mummy issues.

someone set my sass metre to "maximum sass" tonight

CassSept

The ending was too on the nose but the entire episode was great. Three episodes left, yowza. I have no idea what's going to happen.

"The city is a toilet."

You're gonna love 1970s NYC, Pete.

That's one thing I kind of regret: That we're not going to see these characters experience the decay of NYC in the 70s.

We've seen glimpses of New York's downturn in the show already, but we're not going to see the worst of it.

A 70's-set spin off following a female character through 70's new york would be amazing. Particularly if it were Peggy (I know it's been mentioned) and Stan. It would be like watching old SNL episodes.

Women's liberation movement, Watergate, energy crisis, end of vietnam, stagflation, the general decay of New York City that seemed to grip the city in that decade, the power outage, all would provide a fascinating backdrop. And of course the biggest disaster, the clothes. Before people fixated on calling the 80's "the decade that taste forgot," we already had the 1970's.

Top Bottom