• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Tatsunoko Productions.... haha Holy Shit this was awesome.
Also Campells vs. McDonalds...thats some Game of Thrones shit haha.

"Fuck Her"

And that powerful ending...what a great episode !!

Lou Vs Capcom

lol

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
"The King ordered it!"

Classic Pete. I liked the redemption, of sorts, that he had here.

What a fantastic episode. One of the series' best, like the dark twin of Shut the Door Have a Seat. It is really hard to believe there are only three episodes remaining, I wonder what Don will lose next. I have no idea where this is going at all.

- GIFs from Warming Glow

Lots of useful ones in here:

Yk9x0i4.gif

2mwam9x.gif

pIjyFIU.gif

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The whole boardroom scene with McCann was brilliant. I'd have to rewatch it, but it was very morbid. Beyond what you'd expect of a meeting for such an occasion, I mean.

BFIB

If they do lead to the ending where Don
jumps out of the window
, I'm just not seeing Don reaching that point yet.

I mean, every episode ends with him alone, or seeing the happiness in others that he just doesn't have anymore. But I don't see him reaching THAT point, and its going to be hard to get there with 2 episodes left.

stewy

Tatsunoko Productions.... haha Holy Shit this was awesome.
Also Campells vs. McDonalds...thats some Game of Thrones shit haha.

Couldn't believe as that scene was playing. My wife is a Campbell and she always talks about the time she and her mom and sister visited Scotland. There were pubs they technically weren't allowed to enter because they refused to serve the Campbell clan.

Pryce

I wonder if we're going to be seeing the McCann offices. Sets are expensive, and I wonder how much AMC would pay for a new one for only one episode. It seems like next episode they're moving out, so unless they spend the next three episodes over the course of the month we have to see McCann. At least a little bit.

stn

Just out of curiosity. The team wanted to move out to California, Don especially. The board meeting shatters that illusion of freedom even though they're about to make more money than they have before (ex. Don and Coke). In essence they get thrown back into the meaningless grind. Am I interpreting it correctly?

CassSept

I wonder if we're going to be seeing the McCann offices. Sets are expensive, and I wonder how much AMC would pay for a new one for only one episode. It seems like next episode they're moving out, so unless they spend the next three episodes over the course of the month we have to see McCann. At least a little bit.

Maybe just an office or two, like we saw of CGC?

Just out of curiosity. The team wanted to move out to California, Don especially. The board meeting shatters that illusion of freedom even though they're about to make more money than they have before (ex. Don and Coke). In essence they get thrown back into the meaningless grind. Am I interpreting it correctly?

I think you have it right.

In particular, Don (who has nothing much here), Joan (with her new boyfriend), and presumably Pete, who liked it there.

If they do lead to the ending where Don
jumps out of the window
, I'm just not seeing Don reaching that point yet.

I mean, every episode ends with him alone, or seeing the happiness in others that he just doesn't have anymore. But I don't see him reaching THAT point, and its going to be hard to get there with 2 episodes left.

Agreed, not to mention Don killing himself and I'm not going to spoiler tag this since its just speculation, in such a way feels like it would be super lame because everyone would be saying "OMG the ending of the show was there in the intro this whole time!!". plus they've already had two characters commit suicide on the show.

I wonder if they would really do that with the main character? Not that I'm an expert, for all I know this is how Don's story will end and maybe Weiner found a way to make it work on screen? I hope so, because whether Don is left in a bad place or somehow finds a way to move on, I just hope the ending is good either way.

Edit: Of course Don does seem to be losing everything, so even though I think its very unlikely Don will kill himself, there is a part of me that totally gets why some think will that will happen. I guess its hard for me to see because we've Don's life in shambles before and he didn't even attempt suicide, but now its looking like he's just becoming more and more isolated than ever before, so... maybe there's something to this whole Don kills himself thing?

stn

Suicide would just be... grim. It wouldn't resolve anything, no moral of the story - nothing. The show would end up being about an isolated ad-man with identity issues, who kills himself due to lingering problems with his childhood. I feel like the show is supposed to be about change - about understanding change. Plus, Don's going to kill himself when he still has his kids to live for? Would not like this ending at all.

Trey

Fucking hilarious episode. Ted's solemn head nod in response to Don asking if anyone wanted a drink was perfect. Sterling telling Ken he looked like a spy was perfect.

The season just lost so much steam by cutting it in half. I would have been much more pumped last night if had the momentum from the start of the season only a couple of months ago.

I really hope the ending isn't him ending up on the farm with that depressed waitress.

I think the point of Di is she isn't going to offer Don whatever salvation he's apparently looking for. I think this crisis is just going to be played out in a longer form so there's different levels of loss that can play out across the next few episodes, as opposed to the other crises of Don's and how work, family, his youth and self-image, etc, are all apparently disintegrating at once. So I don't think they'll end up together, because in a way that would almost be as depressing of an ending as if Don killed himself, what I mean is that the Di thing is just another attempt to escape his situation, he's investing meaning into her that is at least partially concocted or not real. I think the only way this series can have a satisfying ending is if all of these losses Don is experiencing compels him to wake up from whatever he's trying to distract himself from, but frankly I have no idea what that would look like and it's not like it would suddenly have him become a happy person. He just wouldn't be avoiding his problems anymore.

Gambit

Just watched it. So, so good. How can this show just end? I need it!

In this excellent episode even Liu Avery justified his miserable existence. His whole presence was worth it for that phone call. I had to laugh out loud.

CassSept

Sepinwall's idea that he is going to lose everything and become a homeless person is... interesting. The best things in life are free, huh.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I... I need something terrible to happen to Lou, but I know the show isn't going to deliver it.

Top Bottom