• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '15 |OT| Now This is Current Gen

GTI Guy

Was your system in Standby the entire time?

I purchased the DD on Friday of last week my console has been off and on since then including standby. It downloaded the game on Friday or at least I thought it did. My console has been on since about 7pm where I've been checking to see if the game was available. I'm now at 15% install....

Not cool

RussellXV

Played about 4 games. 3 online. Enjoying it so far. I didn't like the sudden change with the camera. It zooms in too much and it seems too random.

Afrikan

Best Best Midnight release or PSN download at 9PM PT

Decisions Decisions

What's this "Best Best" you speak of? You didn't mean BestBuy did you? If so fuuuuuuu I asked them fools if they had midnight release when I reserved mine, they told me no.

Edit- FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! I could've been playing this whole time instead of watching streams...and i wouldn't have need to call in sick tomorrow. Why do I take the word of BestBuy employees. fuck.

LifEndz

Quick question. Several Maddens ago they allowed the player to customize what skill players were in on different plays. So, for example, my team uses multiple RBs and I really enjoyed being able to set up which RB would be in on different plays. Speedy guy on trips WR formations and the power guy on I form plays.

Does this years Madden allow you to do that? Thanks in advance.

Cheech

Bro. Come on. That means you missed out on Madden 2005 which was the best game in the series.

I think that was the NFL 2K5 year. That's the one year I didn't buy Madden.

Plus, 2004 was so good I really didn't feel the need. On topic? Madden 15 is already my favorite Madden since 2004. Funny how I'm not alone in this thought! It's really damn good, and playing defense is like a whole new game.

First impression: Improvement over last year, but still can't touch 2K5. Still so stiff. End the monopoly!

Go plug in that old Xbox or whatever and fire up 2K5. We are well past the "Rose tinted nostalgia" phase with that game.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Welp...Best Buy gave me $54 to trade in FIFA 14 and NBA 2K14 (THIS is why I refuse to go digital, and EA access is still a ripoff!)...

so I preordered Madden from the website for in store pickup tomorrow for like $10 after tax...not a bad deal...especially because I'm supposed to get a $10 rewards certificate for preordering...

Without NCAA this year I need my football fix...so back to Madden it is

Btw...how do the those rewards certs work? Do they send it to me?

See above

That's some pretty good trade-in values. I've never gotten that for a previous year's sports game. Good job!

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Best Buy is doing an extra 50% on trades this week. They do it frequently and sometimes it's 100%

Damn. Maybe I can pre-order FIFA 15 or NHL 15 through bestbuy. I already bought Madden 15 digitally before I walked out the door to goto work this morning. Usually I RARELY buy digitally, sacrificing the ability to trade-in games isn't justifiable to me just yet.

Is there any graphical or performance difference between the ps4 and Xbox one?

EA devs said they're both 1080p, but some anecdotal evidence came up in the pre-release thread that said that the X1 version had more stutters during post-play transitions and presentation chrome.

My friend is considering buying this, but he wants to be sure he can draft his own team, and then use it in the franchise mode. Has this been removed and replaced with MUT?

My friend is considering buying this, but he wants to be sure he can draft his own team, and then use it in the franchise mode. Has this been removed and replaced with MUT?

No it's still in the game. MUT got an overhaul though and is much more interactive this year. They have a lot of perks and tournaments centered around MUT. I don't play MUT but this year I will definitely give it a go.

DWinn7

Damn. Maybe I can pre-order FIFA 15 or NHL 15 through bestbuy. I already bought Madden 15 digitally before I walked out the door to goto work this morning. Usually I RARELY buy digitally, sacrificing the ability to trade-in games isn't justifiable to me just yet.

Literally did the same thing lol. Oh well. If I can trade in 2k14 and FIFA for 50+ bucks/credit I'll do it. And put it towards FIFA 15 or NBA 2K15

shandy706

Even though I have madden 25 (got it for $15 in a killer deal) I just might try '15.

Still some really annoying things though it seems.

" However, the whole experience is ruined when you fade up from black and the commentary team is saying the wrong names of players on the field or worse, when they are completely misrepresenting the graphic up on the screen. At one point, I had the commentators say my defense was so bad, you could more easily measure its output in miles than yards — the only problem is the graphic showed we were the No. 1 defense in the league and were dominating at the time in the game."

That crap just screams unfinished/unpolished.

Reminds me of playing Madden 25.

I played my first Superbowl a few weeks ago as the Panthers vs the Patriots.

The intro mentions the team being brave like Jake Delhomme, while showing Cam Newton!

DERP

The Patriots entered the field and none of the special effects visually showed up, the sound effects went off...but nothing actually appeared around them. (it did show up with the Panthers)

Then you have a stadium full of people, sideline NPCs, and other NPCs in shorts and t-shirts in an absolute blizzard of snow. What the heck?!

I'm curious as to if the above BS has been fixed?

Fixed1979

This was my first ps4 preload too, worked great.

Yeah, I was a little surprised how well it worked. I clicked on Madden with a minute to go, watched the countdown timer hit 0 and immediately into the game at exactly 10PM (local). Steam should take some notes.

newsguy

I played the last couple of hours of the access demo last night. I can't wait to get home and play the retail copy. I purposely downloaded 25 from the vault just before the demo so I could compare the two. I have to give EA props, they really revamped alot this season. Playing legit with a defensive end (not pulling him 5 feet off the line) is so fun. I was using Cameron Wake and while I only had 2 sacks, it felt very organic, like I was making a difference during many plays.

The new camera options are cool, but as a veteran of the series I can't see myself ever playing from the closeup angles. I need to see the field and coordinate pre play. Running feels like the only thing that didn't get an overhaul, but I thought last year's running was pretty good. The real time physics are still wonky with players crumbling and folding during pileups, but I have to say I love it. If it doesn't look weird during the play itsslf, and the funny shit happens once the play is dead, I crack up watching the dumb stuff. I saw a guy running full speed on a kickoff trip over a downed player and literally roll 15 yards. I watched the replay like 5 times.

The PS4 preload worked flawlessly. I left the countdown on to go jump in the shower last night and when I got back to the couch, the game was on the splash screen waiting on me.

I was only able to get in one game before bed because of work, but I had fun almost winning. It feels, looks, and plays different from any other Madden I've played (in a good way), playing defense is more interesting and challenging.

I made a couple of bad throws that were rightly intercepted and I had some trouble running the ball, but I probably just need more practice. I wish I was at home playing now...

my problem with Madden 25?

They removed the ability to spectate games in coaches (connected offline franchie) mode. Completely removed it.

Have they put it back in? If they did, I'll buy it today.

Even though I have madden 25 (got it for $15 in a killer deal) I just might try '15.

Still some really annoying things though it seems.

That crap just screams unfinished/unpolished.

Reminds me of playing Madden 25.

I played my first Superbowl a few weeks ago as the Panthers vs the Patriots.

The intro mentions the team being brave like Jake Delhomme, while showing Cam Newton!

DERP

The Patriots entered the field and none of the special effects visually showed up, the sound effects went off...but nothing actually appeared around them. (it did show up with the Panthers)

Then you have a stadium full of people, sideline NPCs, and other NPCs in shorts and t-shirts in an absolute blizzard of snow. What the heck?!

I'm curious as to if the above BS has been fixed?

The intro commentary was because the last time the Patriots and Panthers were in the Super Bowl, Jake Delhomme was the QB and he had a great year.

But, the other stuff in '25 was classic derp madden. I also had a complete snow out in M25 Super Bowl... it was hilariously messed up. That whole game lacked polish.

I'm sure that M15 will lack polish in a few areas like that as well. I noticed that the SupeRsim Mechanic still hasn't been fixed after 8 years of releasing the broken mode, but w/e, nobody uses that but me it seems so it gets no time. It seems slightly improved (fewer zany plays), but still busted clock and playcalling system. So, I wouldn't hold out hope that there won't be classic Madden derp in some situations, but so far, so good. Will report more.

--

Off topic, I really wish there was a coach/manager mode that you could do a quick simulation of games while still giving some control over play and being able to jump in at any time. I want a manager mode like MVP Baseball's, but for football:

On offense, you have 3 play styles:
  • Uptempo
  • Normal
  • Control clock

Five play types:
  • Gameplan
  • Short Pass
  • Long Pass
  • Run
  • Gadget play

On defense, something similar, 3 play styles:
  • Aggressive
  • Normal
  • Conservative

Five play types:
  • Gameplan
  • Play Run
  • Play short pass
  • Play Deep pass
  • Aggressive Blitz.

And you can button through these quickly and the results just simulate w/ text or a small GUI in front of you. Gameplan is basically just let the AI pick your plays and put together a standard drive for you. You can over-ride those with "Run / Pass / Long Pass / Gadget play." I'd really love this if it allowed you to get through a game in, say, 5 minutes. At any time you can drop out of the manager mode and go right to gameplay.

Look here, guys, I don't know much about football, but my girlfriend bought this game and I don't want to lose. She's a newbie, but she played the previous one for like a week with her family, so she has a leg up.

I need to win. What do I do short of just breaking up with her?

arimanius

Look here, guys, I don't know much about football, but my girlfriend bought this game and I don't want to lose. She's a newbie, but she played the previous one for like a week with her family, so she has a leg up.

Get her drunk and play every time someone scores TD remove a piece of clothing. It's a win win.

Feeroper

Im torn - I pre-ordered for PS4, but I tried the X1 EA Access trial and it ran well there.

I dont have much for my X1 so I was considering picking this up to share the love, but since PS4 has a bigger install base, I thought it may be easier to find online games on PS4. However, hasnt Madden been more active online with Xbox last gen?

If there is any visual/perofrmance difference, then i will jsut go for the verison that runs best, but it seems to be pretty much on par from what Ive heard.

What platform is everyone else here picking this game up for?

Oh jesus. Are you playing against her right now? Or can you train for like 1 hour? There is a training mode that you should go through.

Otherwise, here's the deal: play conservative on offense, don't go for big home plays, just go for short ball control style plays. Look for routes where your receive cuts back to the ball or cuts to the sidelines, and hit the pass button on those cuts. Use runs up the middle and just plow forward... You won't break a long touchdown, but you'll be fine. Punt the ball on 4th down, play smart, play field control in the first half.

On defense, for teh first half, play conservatively. Use lots of zone defensive plays like the Cover 3, Cover 6, and Cover 2. These are basic zone defenses. I'd wager your girlfriend is likely to pass more than run so you should assume most plays are going to be a pass. These defenses will do an adequate job of defending. Now, after the half, change up your gameplan on defense. Still pick zone defensive plays but start calling lots of blitzes on 1st and 3rd down. This will frustrate her. She'll be expecting conservative 4 man rushes like in the first half, and then suddenly, her timing will be all off as you'll be bringing guys from every angle. She'll give up sacks, make mistakes, and probably quit the game in the 3rd quarter after you get two interception returns for touchdowns.

Im torn - I pre-ordered for PS4, but I tried the X1 EA Access trial and it ran well there.

I dont have much for my X1 so I was considering picking this up to share the love, but since PS4 has a bigger install base, I thought it may be easier to find online games on PS4. However, hasnt Madden been more active online with Xbox last gen?

What platform is everyone else here picking this game up for?

Yeah, Madden was much more active on 360 than PS3. But this seems to have switched around this gen, and it seems like there's more players on PS4 than X1. Gaf wise this is definitely true, the PS4 league is completely filled (32 players) and has 10 people on a waiting list. X1 league is like 2/3rds filled.

I' getting it for X1 because I have an X1 and most of my friends (Madden and non-madden players alike) are on X1. I'll miss MaddenGaf which seems to have mostly split towards PS4, but I haven't played in the Madden Gaf league in 2 years and I priobably wouldn't this year either anyway. I find most the time I play it's single player anyway.

Yes I miss the NFL 2k series as much as most of you, but Madden 15 seems like a great improvement after a few games played last night. The visuals are a big upgrade and the tackle physics are better too. Looking forward to drafting a team!

Dante316

A question, I see the playcalling has a temp setting, normal and slow chew time. In the controls, it says no huddle should be there too. I have only played co op with bro, so is the no huddle only single player?

It's been a long time since my last Madden game. It's pretty nice being able to actually throw the ball at different trajectories rather trying to throw the ball through flat passing lanes. Really enjoying the game mechanics and all the weird little bugs.

Had a lot of fun with this in the early access period. Online was a bit frustrating - I'd either smoke my opponent (leading to a rage quit) or get smoked.

All I want is that won a ranked match achievement :(

My brief review

Good game, If I had to rate it on a scale 1 - 10, I would give it a mild 7.

Still has some legacy issues.

Mario running, bad tackling, running animations, the RB holding the ball to loosely in traffic, clipping and morphing, the ugly rag doll falling down and all over the place foolishness. Player sense 2.0, is really player sense 1.3 they are aware situationally about 70% of the time.

Graphics are great, contrary to popular belief I like the presentation it is considerably better than what has been in madden over the years. Love the Playbooks happen to be my favorite of any football game.

Defensive audible system, needs to be overhauled. Just require too many clicks to really effective. I have long since desired that EA copied APF 2K8 Defensive Audible system it is quick and effect, it what you want done in 3 sec compared to madden you couldn't not get the same things down in the same amount of time.

The Offense Audible system is great, I just wish they would allow for on the fly audibles in the call a play screen, essentially you will 2 to 3 plays called when you line up, this will take away from all the editing at the line of scrimmage.

I like the Kicking and Punting system, however EA needs to work on the receiving team awareness. You will get 2 players just jogging and blocking no one on almost every kick off or punt.

It's a good game, once you get past the new and the shinny graphics and that dopamine wears off, you start to legacy issues that kind of bothers you a little.

Quick question to everyone who has the game, my friends and I want to start an online league, but we were wondering if we can also play user vs user games in person when we are able to all get together. Or does the game force you to play on two different systems in an online league?

njean777

Will be picking this up after school, I hope it is better than 25. Last years felt so half assed on ps4. Hopefully the character models look better this year. I do like hearing that the defense is more fun though.

aro52

Go plug in that old Xbox or whatever and fire up 2K5. We are well past the "Rose tinted nostalgia" phase with that game.

You're probably right, but it still doesn't help me feel better about Madden. :/

Can you define stiff? Does the game not feel fluid?

Maybe I need to work on my right stick juke moves, but the basic ballcarrier movement feels like the guy can't change direction, without a 20 second heads up. There's no subtlety to it.

Didn't the monopoly end? I thought EA tweeted out or one of them challenged 2k to make a better game.

I don't think so. If so, maybe they expect someone to do it without the NFL license, which as we know, doesn't work. (All Pro Football, Backbreaker, etc)

Does defense have schemes where you can have your corner man-lock through the entire game (always have put Revis on Boldin when playing man coverage)?

hlhbk

Is there any graphical or performance difference between the ps4 and Xbox one?

Anyone? I received a coupon for an extra 50% credit for trade ins at gamestop. I got about 8 games I am turning in and one of the games I want to pick up is Madden but I want to get the best version as I have both consoles.

How does Coachglass work on the PS4? Is it do e through the PS4 app? If it does the app's second screen feature, can I use the Vita instead of the app?

I don't know if there are graphical differences but Madden on Xbone uses the rumble triggers to force people offside...

Something to consider when making your decision anyways..

Mrbob

There is a giant thread at operation sports discussing both versions and there seems to be commentary about the ps4 version running slightly smoother. I don't know how legit it is though. I'm guessing both versions are 99 percent the same with only minor differences. Madden is typically the most multi platform game there is. Get the game for the platform you would play with friends or if you are that concerned with performance usually a good idea to lean towards ps4 in general.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Maybe I need to work on my right stick juke moves, but the basic ballcarrier movement feels like the guy can't change direction, without a 20 second heads up. There's no subtlety to it.

That's weird. I've always looked at Madden as the most fluid and fast game, much faster and more responsive than NCAA.

Top Bottom