• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '16 |OT| It's Madden Season

Z_Y

The opening intro was a slide show for me.... I attributed it to maybe the game still installing bUT I don't know now.

I thought maybe it was from the bumped up player models/faces. When it flipped to actual gameplay it seemed fine. Hated that zoom in to ball carrier effect though.

Zach

Obligated to get to play with bro who lives in Hawaii. Hopefully the online franchise thing has some improvements. Will read sexy OP when I have more time.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This is my first Madden in years. Im looking forward to it. While I love sports and enjoy football, I don't really have a team. Anyone looking to play some casual friendly games online? Anyone have a good idea for a team to pick?

I like the idea of draft champion mode though!

The Vikings are a good sleeper pick! A lot of speed and athleticism. The most dominant RB in the game, of course. And, if you're interested in starting a franchise, they've got a bunch of a talented, young players that would be fun to develop.

Ocelott

Dominant teams:
  • Packers - They're gonna be the best team in the game this year most likely. Unstoppable offense with a QB who can scramble, 2 elite Madden receivers, elite running back. Only thing missing is elite TE. Defense is good enough with speed at MLB for people who control the MLB.
  • Seattle - It won't even be fun playing against seattle as teams will go to Jimmy Graham and Lynch every other play, scrambling Wilson when nobody is open. Defense is the best in the game again most likely.

Few teams to play with this year who should be good and competitive, not seeming cheap:
  • Cowboys - 86 Overall, solid offensive weapons, unstoppable Dez Bryant, accurate QB, solid over performing defense.
  • Eagles - Accurate QB, tons of speed weapons, solid defense, great offensive team with an open playbook.
  • Lions - Solid good QB, three major weapons with Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Eric Ebron, and a super speedy RB Ameer Abdulluh who should get a ratings bump come Week 1 assuming his pre-season continues to be strong.
  • Colts - Unstoppable offense, lousy defense but it might not matter as long as you score points.
  • Arizona Cardinals - Solid offense assuming Palmer is playable, excellent defense at key positions (CB). 3 good WR weapons in Michael Floyd, John Brown, and Larry Fitz. Solid RB in Andre Ellington. Depends on Palmer's accuracy really.

Sneaky good teams:
  • Falcons - Matt Ryan is a top QB, Julio Jones is a top WR, and their defense is good at a couple key positions, ROLB and CB.
  • 49ers - Probably the most over-rated team in the game again this year, even though they're only 78 ovr, it's a classic Madden online team. Qb who can scramble, over-rated defense with multiple guys in 90s and high 80s, 3 Madden style receivers (Torrey Smith, Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis), and Carlos Hyde will be a weapon. Despite the 78ovr, 49ers will be a solid Madden online pick and they'll be a lot better in game than in real life.
  • Dolphins - Tannehill to Jordan Cameron all day, solid other positions, good defense.
  • Vikings - Bridgewater is good, best RB in the game with Peterson, solid defense, decent weapons at WR... Low rating but might be a tough team to play against.

Good teams in real life who will be lousy:
  • Patriots. Bad running backs, mediocre WRs, pocket QB, and Gronk. Aside from Gronk, can't see this team being much.
  • Saints. Elite QB, but kind of mediocre at the weapons positions... no cheese TE, and other than Brandon Cooks not a lot. Mark Ingram is expected to have a good season in real life, but he's not a Madden stud back.

If you don't have a team though check out Madden Ultimate Team. I'm not really into the mode but it's basically a fantasy style Madden game where you accumulate players using a trading card system and build your own team to compete online. You can grind your way to a solid team, or spend $10 and become much better immediately, but it's the most popular online mode these days. I think that the Draft Champions is a very good balance to this as the microtransaction model can influence it, but probably not as much as MUT.

No Ravens Love? lol

Dominator

3-0 with the Rams online so far, I've faced the Jaguars, Lions and Packers. Probably would have lost against the Lions but the guy quit out. Really enjoying the game so far.

Have you used the niners or played them yet? The defense is god awful. Who are the multiple players over 90? There is only bowman. The #2 cb is rated 70 and is roasted easily.

On offense the oline is brutally bad aside from RG and LT. Kap can scramble but is terribly inaccurate

As of now, I believe Aldon Smith is still on the 49ers, so Bowman (93), Bethea (91), Aldon Smith (89). Smith will likely be updated with the week 1 roster update, unless they also do updates in the pre-season.

But no, I haven't played with the 9ers. Just expecting them to be a sneaky playable team online.

Wait, Im missing something. Why is the Draft Champions mode have a microtransaction model influence it? Its not just random guys?

It's not microtransaction-ed yet (not like MUT), but the mode is definitely an opportunity to add them... e.g., spend X on a card to pick two elite players from a draft deck, etc. EA has been good about leaving microtransactions out of Franchise mode and Online Play now mode, but they've milked it in MUT and anything else they add, so nobody would be surprised if Draft Champions has a microtransaction tie in.

Stat!

It's not microtransaction-ed yet (not like MUT), but the mode is definitely an opportunity to add them... e.g., spend X on a card to pick two elite players from a draft deck, etc. EA has been good about leaving microtransactions out of Franchise mode and Online Play now mode, but they've milked it in MUT and anything else they add, so nobody would be surprised if Draft Champions has a microtransaction tie in.

Fair enough. It sounds like an interesting mode. Kinda hoping it makes its way to NHL. Anythnig else I should expect from Madden if I haven't played in about 5 years?

GravyButt

Im liking it so far. Never been good at Madden games for some reason though. What kind of defense do you guys run? Zone or man? It seems no matter what im getting passed on all day and they are open no matter what I do.

Also, being somewhat new to it, when on D and the ball is in the air you can press A or Y (xbox 1) to play the man or the ball. Is it like offense where all you do is hold down the button and the cpu takes over? Because im pressing Y for example in the opening segment and trying to control the guy and just running in circles or missing it completely. Im assuming I should just hold Y and let him do his thing? Because it seems like whenever the computer absolutely needs to make a comeback they just cheese aggressive catches to their best WR and their isnt a damn thing I can do about it (even though they havent beaten me yet) but its been nail biting the few games ive played.

Im down for any tips or tricks since I mostly just play offline.

Im liking it so far. Never been good at Madden games for some reason though. What kind of defense do you guys run? Zone or man? It seems no matter what im getting passed on all day and they are open no matter what I do.

Also, being somewhat new to it, when on D and the ball is in the air you can press A or Y (xbox 1) to play the man or the ball. Is it like offense where all you do is hold down the button and the cpu takes over? Because im pressing Y for example in the opening segment and trying to control the guy and just running in circles or missing it completely. Im assuming I should just hold Y and let him do his thing? Because it seems like whenever the computer absolutely needs to make a comeback they just cheese aggressive catches to their best WR and their isnt a damn thing I can do about it (even though they havent beaten me yet) but its been nail biting the few games ive played.

Im down for any tips or tricks since I mostly just play offline.

Everything is situation based. It's good to mix things up depending on how things are playing out on the field. When you get the game I suggest going through the Skills Trainer portion of the game to hone your skills and learn more about these aspects of the game.

I'm picking this up day one, but I'm not big on playing online, just the occasional game with some friends.

Expecting some improvements from last year, which was pretty good imo. Also hoping the Falcons aren't severely underrated making them no fun to play with.

Can anyone post up the relocation options? (Cities and Nicknames). I know it might be a bit of work, but I always love picking a crappy team, moving them somewhere and having a hilarious team of rookies and low overall players in year 2.

I'm picking this up day one, but I'm not big on playing online, just the occasional game with some friends.

Expecting some improvements from last year, which was pretty good imo. Also hoping the Falcons aren't severely underrated making them no fun to play with.

They're low rated but a very dangerous team.

As of now, I believe Aldon Smith is still on the 49ers, so Bowman (93), Bethea (91), Aldon Smith (89). Smith will likely be updated with the week 1 roster update, unless they also do updates in the pre-season.

But no, I haven't played with the 9ers. Just expecting them to be a sneaky playable team online.

Use the newest updated rosters brah. You will find the defense is in shambles, as is the offense

Branson

Im a bit of a weird player of these games. I usually create me and my friends and put them on a team and take them through franchise mode. Create a Player is in right? I dont really care about the main roster of players.

Duke Nukem was my star quarterback last year.

Lrrr

Has anyone used the Giants yet? How's Odell Beckham Jr.? As a lifelong Giants fan, I'm thrilled we're finally getting some love in Madden. :D

Porsche9146

Neo Member
I've never bought a Madden before but I'm looking for something to play for the next three or four weeks so this might be the year that changes. Is it a good investment?

Also, are the Chargers competitive online in this? I figure their defense probably isn't given the whole one-good-player-on-the-entire-front-seven thing, but is the offense workable?

Shady859

Seems like they trying to kill the scrambling qb in Madden because holding, holding, holding. Haven't tried online yet but messing around with multiple teams offline I get the same results even with legit scramblers.

Gonna be the second year in a row I skip Madden and just play the Early Access time. I think NCAA with roster updates is more fun.

jmizzal

Had a great first game with my created rookie WR playing offline, and right when the players were leaving the field the game froze and I lost everything :/

RoKKeR

This runs pretty bad, what the hell happened? Madden 15 ran great while this has slow down all over the place.
Yeah, it's strange. When you break free and run with the ball it's like everything is in slow motion or is happening slightly slower than t should be. There is also a good amount of jank in between plays.

Which is too bad, because Madden 15 ran very smoothly. Guess I'll stick with that until this is added to the Vault. (Hopefully with performance fixes)

Game definitely has frame rate issues mostly post play but some when hang tackling occurs. Also some stadiums worse than others.

Oddly though I watched some streams of the intro -- which ran horribly for me -- and was running fine for other people, so I wonder if the frame issue are caused by something. Running off a fast external drive so I doubt it's that.

hockey405

Neo Member
Soundtrack had country music,

I was testing the game today and when the game started up in the video mode It was going off sync and looking really bad, freezing up issues,

i'm 2-0 in franchise mode right now playing with my favorite team the
CAROLINA PANTHERS,

Friend I played thru 8ints so all in all its aight but meh,
Madden needs competition

I played an hour or two of the trial. It's pretty good. I haven't experienced any performance issues yet (... well other than the game crashing once) but I do love the new interface. I always thought the interface was really clunky in Madden 25 and Madden 15, but in 16 it's much faster (at least based on what I've seen so far). It's especially nice in the franchise mode. A lot of nice additions there. I really like how player goals and what not show up in the tickers and on screen graphics. Takes nice advantage of the whole "broadcast" look and feel.

DagsJT

Played the trial last night, did some drills and training but they didn't show as completed. Did a drill again, still not completed. Odd.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Frame rate issue people...are you on xbo or ps4?

Xbox. And it's driving me nuts. I like the game quite a bit otherwise.

Fwiw, people who have the retail version are claiming that they're not seeing the framerate problems. But, some people with the EA Access version are claiming they're not seeing it either which seems ridiculous. It's obvious as shit on mine.

Top Bottom