• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL '16 |OT| It's Madden Season

Care to elaborate?

I don't even know where to begin.

The framerate is straight garbage water. It's not as bad when you're actually in the play now as it is when you are playing that Super Bowl 50 opening. That opening should just be scrapped. It's bad. Really bad.

So, you play through that, and then you hear Big Ben running you through all of the new techniques for passing. Cool. Whatever. I load up a game. I want to see what the new presentation stuff looks like. I'm pumped because I loved Madden 15, and I love the updates to the presentation.

Good thing I loved Madden 15, because this shit looks so much like Madden 15 it hurts.

Same presentation, with the exception of a few animations. The menu system is still clunky as shit. The UI is still laggy as hell. They didn't fix anything. There have been no advancements in the UI of this game, and it's been terrible for YEARS. I'm a Falcons fan. Matt Ryan looks like Freddie Mercury. I haven't seen a facial scan of a not-megastar level player look anything like their real life counterpart. It seriously looks like they shipped Matt Ryan an Xbox Live Vision Camera and told him to use EA Game Face.

But, whatever, right? It's a football game. What about the football mechanics?

It just feels clunky. It's ridiculous that I now have to hold X to catch and run with the ball. How is this not my default action? Want to run a screen? Hike the ball, throw the ball, and then immediately get ready to hold down X or you won't run as effectively. Stupidest. Idea. Ever. Nevermind the fact that the corner play has almost been completely sacrificed so you can watch Odell Beckham Jr. make circus catches all day long. Shit might as well be called NFL Blitz.

It's also glitchy. Really glitchy. I hung it up for the night when Austin Seferian-Jenkins caught a pass toward the sideline while both of his feet were ankle deep into the ground on the sideline and they still gave it to him. I throw the challenge flag, I see the super slow mo replay of ASJ's feet clipping 6 inches into the ground past the sideline (at this point I can't tell if it's actual slo mo or a framerate drop.) Refs still gave it to him. This is after four offensive holding penalties in the first half.

The announcers still suck.

Patch this shit or GTFO, EA.

kyo27

yeah definitely gonna wait til this is free on ea access after playing the trial. Not a fan of the new controls for passing or receiving. Visually, it looks the same as last year.

Klocker

on xbox EA Access and except for the intro Super bowl game while game was downloading, it's been pretty solid for me with no frame rate issues.

those with issues, have you tried a hard reboot?

oh and digging the new passing, catching complexity

Majanew

Banned

The framerate is straight garbage water. It's not as bad when you're actually in the play now as it is when you are playing that Super Bowl 50 opening. That opening should just be scrapped. It's bad. Really bad.

So, you play through that, and then you hear Big Ben running you through all of the new techniques for passing. Cool. Whatever. I load up a game. I want to see what the new presentation stuff looks like. I'm pumped because I loved Madden 15, and I love the updates to the presentation.

Good thing I loved Madden 15, because this shit looks so much like Madden 15 it hurts.

Same presentation, with the exception of a few animations. The menu system is still clunky as shit. The UI is still laggy as hell. They didn't fix anything. There have been no advancements in the UI of this game, and it's been terrible for YEARS. I'm a Falcons fan. Matt Ryan looks like Freddie Mercury. I haven't seen a facial scan of a not-megastar level player look anything like their real life counterpart. It seriously looks like they shipped Matt Ryan an Xbox Live Vision Camera and told him to use EA Game Face.

It just feels clunky. It's ridiculous that I now have to hold X to catch and run with the ball. How is this not my default action? Want to run a screen? Hike the ball, throw the ball, and then immediately get ready to hold down X or you won't run as effectively. Stupidest. Idea. Ever. Nevermind the fact that the corner play has almost been completely sacrificed so you can watch Odell Beckham Jr. make circus catches all day long. Shit might as well be called NFL Blitz.

It's also glitchy. Really glitchy. I hung it up for the night when Austin Seferian-Jenkins caught a pass toward the sideline while both of his feet were ankle deep into the ground on the sideline and they still gave it to him. I throw the challenge flag, I see the super slow mo replay of ASJ's feet clipping 6 inches into the ground past the sideline (at this point I can't tell if it's actual slo mo or a framerate drop.) Refs still gave it to him. This is after four offensive holding penalties in the first half.

Ouch. Sounds like EA Tiburon.

I'll rent from Redbox like I did last years.

GravyButt

So im really enjoying it a lot. But im having one major issue and it's really bugging me. Why cant Miami get any pressure on the qb. You have Suh and Wake up front and I can't even get close to any qb. But yet I go use a team like the cowboys (granted the kraken) and its nonstop pressure/sacks all day. What gives? Ive also played with some pretty weak defensive lined teams and not really any issues but one of the best lined teams in the league and I can't even get through regardless of blitzing? What gives EA?!

I was thinking about picking it up this year too. It's amazing how EA never fixes things like UI and loading time to get into a game (sports games are notorious for unnecessary loading screens). I know you can't advertise it like a bullet point but reducing the time it takes to actually get into a match does up the enjoyment of a game significantly.

I was thinking about picking it up this year too. It's amazing how EA never fixes things like UI and loading time to get into a game (sports games are notorious for unnecessary loading screens). I know you can't advertise it like a bullet point but reducing the time it takes to actually get into a match does up the enjoyment of a game significantly.

The most frustrating thing about it all is how remarkably similar this game looks to last year's. Like, I get it. Things are going to be different, and not everyone is going to be happy, but the least you could do is update some of the presentation.

There is always a day 1 patch that gets rid of stuff like this.

its funny reading these impressions its as if you've never played a madden demo before... this game you're playing is without a day one. patch or any tuning... you're playing the full game but it might as well be a demo until after the day 1 patch that madden always get. i guarantee you wont have most of these complaints when the real game releases

its funny reading these impressions its as if you've never played a madden demo before... this game you're playing is without a day one. patch or any tuning... you're playing the full game but it might as well be a demo until after the day 1 patch that madden always get. i guarantee you wont have most of these complaints when the real game releases

Totally agree with you man. People are always way to quick to pass judgement or just hate on it because well.... It's Madden

Yeah, I've been playing Madden in the era of patches since day 1. The shit doesn't get miraculously fixed on the first day. Don't know what y'all are smoking, but pass it over here so I can get through a game of this shit.

Totally agree with you man. People are always way to quick to pass judgement or just hate on it because well.... It's Madden

This has nothing to do with me hating on Madden because it's Madden. I buy it every year, and I play it for 100's of hours. I'm disappointed that they took a step back because I thoroughly enjoyed Madden 25.

To break down my experience... I don't think I'll be buying this one unfortunately.

My major gripes are

1. The framerate is terrible. It's worst than the Witcher right now.
2. Graphically, I'm not feeling this game. Seeing what 2K is essentially able to do in Basketball, I really have no idea how EA manages to make it look still so fake. The opening screen with Beckham JR looks hideous. His body isn't even correct. But it's a video game after all.
3. I'm really not into the card games tbh... And I don't like ultimate team for that reason. My favorite experience is being the player and I see that mode no where.

Maybe it's all Because I'm not use to playing Madden on the Xbox that the controls feels weird and I feel like I'm forgetting everything pressing random buttons to choose between aggressive and rac etc. However idk, I'm not feeling it... Maybe Madden is truly no longer for me anymore... Idk

If there's a day 1 patch why wouldn't it be up already, tons of people are playing right now and only 4 days away from release day

Yeah, I've been playing Madden in the era of patches since day 1. The shit doesn't get miraculously fixed on the first day. Don't know what y'all are smoking, but pass it over here so I can get through a game of this shit.

This has nothing to do with me hating on Madden because it's Madden. I buy it every year, and I play it for 100's of hours. I'm disappointed that they took a step back because I thoroughly enjoyed Madden 25.

I'm curious as to how you feel they took a step back? Last years game was pretty solid and this one seems even better. A lot of the stuff people took advantage of is nerfed this year.

If there's a day 1 patch why wouldn't it be up already, tons of people are playing right now and only 4 days away from release day

They always do the patch on release day. Those playing on Xbox One have the early access 10 hour trial and those on PS4 are playing the ones that broke release date. Why put it out early? It's how they've done it every year.

styl3s

"Early release available 8/19/2015 on Xbox One with EA Access"

Does this mean you get the actual full game or just like 10 hours? Was originally gonna pick it up for Ps4 but fuck it if i can get it early.

"Early release available 8/19/2015 on Xbox One with EA Access"

Does this mean you get the actual full game or just like 10 hours? Was originally gonna pick it up for Ps4 but fuck it if i can get it early.

You have access to 10 hours worth of gameplay. Once your 10 hours is up you can no longer play unless you purchase the title

I'm curious as to how you feel they took a step back? Last years game was pretty solid and this one seems even better. A lot of the stuff people took advantage of is nerfed this year.

Not really a huge fan of the new passing mechanics. Feel like it takes the play out of my hands and turns it into a cinematic. I'm not mad at the stuff they nerfed. I like being able to get skinny when I'm running through the line. It's not all bad. But honestly, the shit that is bad is just grinding my gears, man, because it's the same shit every time.

If you buy it do you get the game fully unlocked ahead of the 25th release date or just 10 hours period?

10 hours up to release. When it releases, everything unlocks and you keep what you did for that ten hours. At least, that's how it worked last year. I haven't bought another trial game since Madden 15.

Not really a huge fan of the new passing mechanics. Feel like it takes the play out of my hands and turns it into a cinematic. I'm not mad at the stuff they nerfed. I like being able to get skinny when I'm running through the line. It's not all bad. But honestly, the shit that is bad is just grinding my gears, man, because it's the same shit every time.

It actually gives you more control over your passing. Something most of us have been wanting for years. There is always going to be something that'll be exploited but considering it's a sports game, it plays out better then pretty much every sports title that's on the market other then Fifa

It actually gives you more control over your passing. Something most of us have been wanting for years. There is always going to be something that'll be exploited but considering it's a sports game, it plays out better then pretty much every sports title that's on the market other then Fifa

I don't know. Felt like the illusion of control to me. Different strokes, man. If you dig it, cool.

Agree on FIFA. Still like NBA more. I only hold Madden in higher regard than NBA because of how much I like football.

jmizzal

They always do the patch on release day. Those playing on Xbox One have the early access 10 hour trial and those on PS4 are playing the ones that broke release date. Why put it out early? It's how they've done it every year.

Yea i'm pretty sure they will do a day 1 update, thats something they will work on up until the last min, prob wont be ready until Monday sometime and ready to download before the 12 am official launch

pastapadre

Neo Member
Did a live hangout last night discussing Madden NFL 16 impressions for 75 minutes. Breaking down a lot about the game, after our hours with EA Access (I'm through 12+ now after setting up a second account for more). Gameplay, penalties, drive goals, Draft Champions, online play, prologue, and bugs.

https://youtu.be/z4L9opt3FA4

They slow the game down while introducing the new mechanics (especially throwing/catching) so new players can better get a feel for them. That only happens during the opening game.

It just feels clunky. It's ridiculous that I now have to hold X to catch and run with the ball.

I'm pretty sure the new catch mechanics use button presses, not holds.

They slow the game down while introducing the new mechanics (especially throwing/catching) so new players can better get a feel for them. That only happens during the opening game.

I'm pretty sure the new catch mechanics use button presses, not holds.

1) I'm not an idiot. I know the difference between a framerate drop and an intentional slow down.

2) I'll have to check it. I intend on playing more of it. I'll probably buy the damn game anyway. I may just be used to holding the buttons down because of previous years, and thus assumed I would need to do it again. Old habits die hard.

Afrikan

This is the most amazing video game trailer I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eVF9uBbuqc&feature=youtu.be

I saw this earlier and I think this is the last Madden skit trailer I'll watch again..

I felt like I got dumber after last year's trailer....and I feel like I got even more dumberer after this one. Sure my favorite part was seeing Rexie getting snipped by a football...but that other shit insults my intelligence.

Yall remember those old Madden Commercials that got you pumped up for Madden....for Football?

Madden 2001
https://youtu.be/rBcxp7IncXE

Madden 08
https://youtu.be/80D1FpwtQ0I

Zach

kD4XPFn.gif

PastaPadre tweeted out this fantastic glitch. When in game, ratings rise slightly and drop slightly based on player performance which has been the norm for a few years now. Apparently they climbed pretty high here...

Best response was from former ratings czar Donny Moore, who now works for FanDuel...

Donny Moore ‏@Donny_Moore 14m14 minutes ago
@pastapadre 0-200 scale now with overall ratings!

Apparently this was reported as a bug and is being worked in a patch (OS).

I played three games online this morning. I won all three =).

Anyways no framerate issues (outside of the dreadful intro where I thought my xb1 may have been broken) and the game feels really great. I love the new catching and throwing mechanics, I was worried it would create a lot of cheese but it works really well in conjuction with the new defending mechanics.

Animations which has always been my biggest beef with this series is greatly improved and I can't stress enough the new catching/defending mechanics.. it really feels like there is a contest for the ball.

Fjordson

It just feels clunky. It's ridiculous that I now have to hold X to catch and run with the ball. How is this not my default action? Want to run a screen? Hike the ball, throw the ball, and then immediately get ready to hold down X or you won't run as effectively. Stupidest. Idea. Ever.
This caught my attention reading over all the impressions here. Is it really like that? Sounds terrible.

StoopKid

PastaPadre tweeted out this fantastic glitch. When in game, ratings rise slightly and drop slightly based on player performance which has been the norm for a few years now. Apparently they climbed pretty high here...

Best response was from former ratings czar Donny Moore, who now works for FanDuel...

Donny Moore ‏@Donny_Moore 14m14 minutes ago
@pastapadre 0-200 scale now with overall ratings!

Apparently this was reported as a bug and is being worked in a patch (OS).

I'm gonna regret buying this day 1.

Yaari

I like the game a lot but I'm new to the franchise so I can't look into its faults at all. I hardly know the rules for the actual game. The playbooks are extremely confusing to me, I never actually seen a real life match.

But I'm having a lot of fun with the game. For whatever that's worth, haha.

Well Pre-order cancelled. First madden in maybe 15 years im not getting. I don't have time for this kind of passive release anymore.

This caught my attention reading over all the impressions here. Is it really like that? Sounds terrible.

It's not really like that on screens IMO. I've run screens basically the same as last year's. I don't really like the new receiving controls... I wouldn't mind if they just implemented the aggressive catch / aggressive defend. The possession and RAC catches seem like overkill and too many prompts flashing on the screen.

It is more difficult to make big gains on drags and crossing routes than it was in M'15, but I thnk that's an improvement though it's annoying. In M'15 you could run drags all day and get 15 yard gains with relatively little difficulty over and over, now holding the RAC button you can still get that perfect in stride reception on drags. I think it's good to nerf drags, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it.

I just need more time with the receiving and defending controls. I'm not sure if I really like them, but if I take more time I may get used to them.

Fjordson

It's not really like that on screens IMO. I've run screens basically the same as last year's. I don't really like the new receiving controls... I wouldn't mind if they just implemented the aggressive catch / aggressive defend. The possession and RAC catches seem like overkill and too many prompts flashing on the screen.

It is more difficult to make big gains on drags and crossing routes than it was in M'15, but I thnk that's an improvement though it's annoying. In M'15 you could run drags all day and get 15 yard gains with relatively little difficulty over and over, now holding the RAC button you can still get that perfect in stride reception on drags. I think it's good to nerf drags, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it.

I just need more time with the receiving and defending controls. I'm not sure if I really like them, but if I take more time I may get used to them.
Interesting. I do like that improvement of nerfing cross routes, but it just sounds awkward.

Just to be clear, it's not like your receiver gets hit in the head with the ball if you don't time the button press correctly, right? It just means that your catch and stride after the catch aren't quite as efficient as far as gaining extra yards. Guess that's not the worst thing in the world once you get used to it.

Interesting. I do like that improvement of nerfing cross routes, but it just sounds awkward.

Just to be clear, it's not like your receiver gets hit in the head with the ball if you don't time the button press correctly, right? It just means that your catch and stride after the catch aren't quite as efficient as far as gaining extra yards. Guess that's not the worst thing in the world once you get used to it.

Yeah exactly, they still make a catch and run with the ball, but it seems like if you hold X for an RAC catch (Square on Playstation) that they'll turn their body to immediately run up the field. The risk is that you're less likely to catch the ball in a crowd with RAC.

I think it's fine, but I'm not used to it.

Right now my biggest issues with the game are with the slow down... It doesn't really effect game play during the play, but as soon as the play ends with a lot of guys tackling you'll notice some frame drops. Also the overlays especially draft champions mode overlay that flashes before a replay is running at a very low FPS... It's noticeable. Again this is kind of like extra stuff, but it does detract.

I'm not as stark as the other poster though. I'm willin to give the new playmaker controls (receiving, defense, passing) a continued chance. It took me 3 games to get used to it, but I like the new passing controls. If you hold L1 you throw a loft pass above/over the defender. High likelihood of missing the receiver, but very low likelihood of the pass being intercepted by the CB running your receivers rout better than the receiver.

Top Bottom