• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

Dilly

Banned
sweetfish said:
Just finished story,
awesome shit (the end kinda was a little too abrupt, and I need the DLC right now)... But what the hell, NO FREERIDE MODE? Good god, what have science done... :( If freeride mode comes as a DLC that cost, I'm going to snap.

Jimmy's Vendetta is Free Ride Extreme and free, but it isn't out yet.

You know, making this game longer would have probably made it better. In Mafia 1, there were some missions that didn't really progress the plot, but they were great for connecting with the characters and to do some characterbuilding. In Mafia 2 however, all missions were made to leap the plot forward, as a result you get some pacing problems.

I just finished it and I loved the game, I think the ending is very good unlike some. It fits with the story and here's why.

Vito's dad always got pushed around by people who had more power, he had a lousy life in the states and he got murdered. Vito became a criminal because he wanted to become someone, but in the end, he still gets pushed around by people with more power and it ends with his best friend getting killed

sweetfish

Gold Member
Dilly said:
Jimmy's Vendetta is Free Ride Extreme and free, but it isn't out yet.

You know, making this game longer would have probably made it better. In Mafia 1, there were some missions that didn't really progress the plot, but they were great for connecting with the characters and to do some characterbuilding. In Mafia 2 however, all missions were made to leap the plot forward, as a result you get some pacing problems.

I just finished it and I loved the game, I think the ending is very good unlike some. It fits with the story and here's why.

Vito's dad always got pushed around by people who had more power, he had a lousy life in the states and he got murdered. Vito became a criminal because he wanted to become someone, but in the end, he still gets pushed around by people with more power and it ends with his best friend getting killed

Oh, sweet, thanks for the info!

Also, I agree about the length; could need some "filler" missions just to "relax" from the story.

Hixx

Hmm upto chapter 5, finding it a bit boring so far. Even after all the comments in the thread I'm surprised at just how much driving there is.

Another thing that's disappointing is the demo ran at a pretty much constant 60fps with most things on high whereas the full game can chug quite often. Maybe its the snow...

sweetfish said:
Oh, sweet, thanks for the info!

Also, I agree about the length; could need some "filler" missions just to "relax" from the story.
If there was any more monotonous, "filler" missions it would've killed my enthusiasm to carry on.

If anything, I think there was a bit of fat to be cut. Streamlining of the missions, at the very least.

Geez, running around the docks in a leather jacket is bringing about some Shenmue vibes:

1-13.jpg

shenmue-docks.jpg

Incidentally, is that the Titanic?

2-13.jpg

Zeliard said:
Ask yourself what there actually is to do of interest in GTAIV's open world.

Not much, even in the expansions - they don't come anywhere close to the GTA3-series games in that respect. The only thing I found that entertaining was the most wanted cop stuff, but that also got repetitive. Bowling, darts, button-mash arm-wrestling, "eating", simplistic MMA fighting. Very weak. Drinking is fun the first couple of times due to the Euphoria physics, but it gets old quickly, as do the comedy shows.

GTAIV has an open world but it doesn't do a great deal there beyond having it serve as an impressively detailed backdrop, and the missions don't involve actual sandbox gameplay nearly as much as the old GTA games did.

I mostly agree but I think Mafia 2 is kinda weird about it. Some things like robbing stores, customizing vehicles, and other things give the illusion that there are more ways to interact with the world. Really, the most sandbox-y game like that this gen is Saint's Row 2. Red Dead Redemption does a lot of great things too, though, that isn't as easy to compare because it isn't set in a city. For games like Mafia 2 or GTA4, I think it is less about having activities and more making your own fun.

I mean, if you played the game as a totally linear game, which you can do if you don't fool around between missions, there first time even learn about robbing stores or selling cars is at the end of the game. Then there are people like Giuseppe, Derek, Mike who you can regularly visit with no real purpose. If you talk to Derek or Mike, they say they don't have work for you at the moment. Giuseppe sells a weapon or two and lock picks, but as far as I can tell you never need to worry about lock picks once you get them really early on.

Munin

I hope this sells well enough to warrant another sequel...imagine Mafia III taking place in the 60s/70s. With a French Connection/Dirty Harry soundtrack or something.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
You guys discovered already that clothes shops are magical houses of death and suffering?

1 — Get a lot of ammunition, drive to a clothes shop
2 — Kill the cashier and everyone else in the place
3 — Wait for the cops while hanging out in the shop (steal the cash if you feel like it)
4 — Kill the cops
5 — Steal new clothes to lose your wanted level (remember you're in a clothes shop?)
6 — Step outside, kill some random people
7 — GOTO 3

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
wmat said:
You guys discovered already that clothes shops are magical houses of death and suffering?

1 — Get a lot of ammunition, drive to a clothes shop
2 — Kill the cashier and everyone else in the place
3 — Wait for the cops while hanging out in the shop (steal the cash if you feel like it)
4 — Kill the cops
5 — Steal new clothes to lose your wanted level (remember you're in a clothes shop?)
6 — Step outside, kill some random people
7 — GOTO 3

Fuck, this would have saved me so many times.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Also great: Collecting cop cars (with cops in them) in swimming pools. Obviously, you need a lot of money to bribe the guys. They vanish if you go away though.

I gotta say, the fact that I'm playing on hard doesn't seem to matter to anything but the amount of bullets I can soak. I _would_ expect the cops to randomly refuse bribes at the very least..

How can the game just end on that note!? Just...AGH!

That was such an awesome ride, from start to finish. For my money Mafia II is easily one of the benchmarks for story-telling in this medium. I can't believe how tight and cohesive a narrative experience that was, punctuated in between all of those great set pieces.

Argh, where would you normally look for wanted posters? Can they basically be anywhere? Why doesn't the game on steam come with a manual for shit like this?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
EvilDick34 said:
Argh, where would you normally look for wanted posters? Can they basically be anywhere? Why doesn't the game on steam come with a manual for shit like this?
They can really lie anywhere. I saw one on the ground on some random meadow. Maybe someone will put a Google map together or something.

wmat said:
They can really lie anywhere. I saw one on the ground on some random meadow. Maybe someone will put a Google map together or something.

Are you kidding me? you are fucking with me, right?

Carm

EvilDick34 said:

Locations of all Wanted Posters
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...d-posters-locations-guide-xbox-360-ps3-pc.htm

Locations of all Playboys if you missed any
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...magazines-locations-guide-xbox-360-ps3-pc.htm

They have videos for all the Playboys and the first 20 Wanted Posters. Sounds like they will be adding more if the text location is difficult to find.

GameGamer

Just finished the game.

I would have recommended it to friends, but the amount of driving in the game is just too much.

A simple "Press A to skip to destination" would have allowed players a choice to enjoy their drive, or just get there.

I think the developers made a big mistake with the amount of forced driving.

Can't recommend the game : (

Pros:
Devs put great care into just about everything

The story was told the way I had hoped GTA4 would have

Cons (nitpicking)
If I have to go to 6 gas stations, make 6 different attendants (yes I know you can honk), 6 clones was distracting

Some songs did not sound original

This story has been told too many times, and they kept it too simple

Meier

Started playing this tonight on PC and the controls are a bit of a mess IMO.. clearly not intended for a keyboard and mouse only. How easy is it to get my 360 or PS3 controller to work on the PC? I remember downloading some sort of driver for the 360 one in the past but I never hooked it up and have since built a new deck so I don't have the software at this point. Does my standard wired/USB controller work with it?

KillerAJD

Oh man, listening to
Eddie and Joey
singing Return to Me was amazing :lol I love it when characters in a game sing along to stuff. I loved it when your character sang in Saints Row 2 as well.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Finished the game tonight. Took me 30 hours total. I'm completely blown away by the whole experience. As a huge Mafia 1 fan I'm so happy Mafia 2 delivers an experience worthy of the first game. This game is simply excellent.

I'm going to start a new game immediately and might write up a more extensive review later.

Meier said:
Started playing this tonight on PC and the controls are a bit of a mess IMO.. clearly not intended for a keyboard and mouse only. How easy is it to get my 360 or PS3 controller to work on the PC? I remember downloading some sort of driver for the 360 one in the past but I never hooked it up and have since built a new deck so I don't have the software at this point. Does my standard wired/USB controller work with it?
Yes, you just plug it in. It's that easy.

The 360 controller has made multiplatform games on PC a joy to play, as most clearly aren't designed with a keyboard in mind.

Munin said:
I hope this sells well enough to warrant another sequel...imagine Mafia III taking place in the 60s/70s. With a French Connection/Dirty Harry soundtrack or something.

That actually sounds pretty good. Early to mid 70ies would be perfect.

Meier said:

The game has plug and play 360 controller support. If it's plugged in and you start using it, icons will change to reflect the 360 controller, rumble will be turned on, etc.

I don't know if it is one of those games that only lets you use a 360 controller, but if it is, you can use a program like this (http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/) to make it think your generic controller is one.

I played this game using the 360 controller and it felt more right. I don't know why exactly. I even play GTA4 on PC with KB/M.

markot

Banned
I really hope this game has decent DLC and not crapola byte size crap that is crap and crap.

Ideally, expansion packs in dlc form.

More GTA and less Dragon age >.<

derFeef

Linkzg said:
The game has plug and play 360 controller support. If it's plugged in and you start using it, icons will change to reflect the 360 controller, rumble will be turned on, etc.

I don't know if it is one of those games that only lets you use a 360 controller, but if it is, you can use a program like this (http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/) to make it think your generic controller is one.

I played this game using the 360 controller and it felt more right. I don't know why exactly. I even play GTA4 on PC with KB/M.
Yeah I feel the same. There are just too much butons for everything on KB where it's more simple with a controller. Feels just right.

markot

Banned
Too many buttons >_<?

It should all be second nature to anyone that has played fps games on pc in the last 10 years. 20 even!

Dexa

Banned
finished it now too :D

intense 10 hours. i want a story dlc asap!

[edit]
on topic of kb/mouse vs controller - i wouldnt liked it as much if i had to play it on a controller, headshot killing with precise mouse aiming is just so good. :lol

Headshots were pretty damn easy with the 360 controller too. Only when I was spraying a large group of guys with a Tommy Gun did I not go for them.

I can't speak about the quality of KB/M controls, though, as I played it from the start with a controller, assuming it would be the best way to experience it.

It was a good Story based game. But for £30 (Steam) I would've preferred more content. For some reason I could never, ever get Car Theft missions. Every time I spoke to the guy he said he had nothing, even during the mission where
you had to raise some money to pay back the Loan Shark.
If there is some free DLC to add some freeride options or challenges then great, but I'll only pay for proper expansions/mission packs etc as freeride/roam should've been in at the start.

Any way to tweak the game to reduce pop-in? It runs lovely on my rig and I shouldn't have to see cars appearing in the middle of the screen.

I keep reading about the physx tweak, but I just want to alter the graphics.

markot said:
I really hope this game has decent DLC and not crapola byte size crap that is crap and crap.

Ideally, expansion packs in dlc form.

More GTA and less Dragon age >.<

I agree, I for one support an expansion pack but I know it won't be here anytime in the next couple of months.

Something like the GTA expansions, would love for it, at a price tag of say $20.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just beat the game this week on PC, fucking fantastic experience. I really liked the slower pace start to the game as it was pretty damn immersive. I also loved the snowy city, especially at night. The shooting felt really good on a pad, particularly the Thompson. I enjoyed the story and characters, but there were some missions that felt more random than significant to the over-arching plot. The voice acting was an absolute pleasure.

Fuck whoever made the checkpoint system and some of the time based shit. It was annoying as hell getting randomly headshotted on Hard only to have to go back 10 minutes to the start of a multistage firefight for the fourth time. Also, accidentally killing yourself in a car crash and have to repeat long ass driving segments isn't fun either. And you think they would have improved some of this shit since Mafia 1.

I'm looking forward to the Jimmy's Vendetta and hopefully there will be some meatier DLC as well.

Jenga

Banned
Stallion Free said:
accidentally killing yourself in a car crash and have to repeat long ass driving segments isn't fun either. And you think they would have improved some of this shit since Mafia 1.
learn 2 drive kid

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I've seen many people complain about the checkpoints and I don't get it. I thought they were perfectly fine.

Zoso said:
I've seen many people complain about the checkpoints and I don't get it. I thought they were perfectly fine.

Personally i think there could have been a 2 or 3 more checkpoint saves, other than that though this will be the first game i ever buy DLC for, i just wont buy it for any game so congrats 2k, you are busting my dlc cherry.

Infinity

KillerAJD said:
Oh man, listening to
Eddie and Joey
singing Return to Me was amazing :lol I love it when characters in a game sing along to stuff. I loved it when your character sang in Saints Row 2 as well.

Yeah, that was funny.
When they said to not change the station and started singing, I had to fight the urge to leave the station alone - just because I like messing with things in games.

Top Bottom