• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

outsidah

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm 3 hours in, on chapter 8 and so far I'm mixed. The narrative and visuals are great, but the actual game? I'm not sure I'm having that much fun playing it.

At this rate I might complete it tonight. :lol

Same thing I feel. I like the story and the few moments I actually get to do something other than drive are exciting... but as soon as I finish some tiny gameplay piece I'm back to cut scenes and a long ass driving sequence.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
This is easily my favorite game so far this year, but the ending was fucked up. I want some DLC. I can accept the ending, but it makes me want to fuck some dudes up hardcore.

Like.

I wanna straight up murder some dudes.

Anyways, the most emotional part of the game for me?
Reliving the end of the first mafia. I got teary eyed. "Mr. Salieri sends his regards"... all the emotions from the end of the first game came back. It was intense, even though the game didn't really pay much attention to it.

edit: The game says I beat it in 11 hours. That's a fucking decent sized game for these days. You don't come across that too often anymore. Hell, if you hit 8 hours you're lucky for most games.

Salsa

Just finished it at 10-11 hours. Absolutely loved it. Had no problems with the ending whatsoever,
i can wait :)

BobsRevenge said:
Anyways, the most emotional part of the game for me?
Reliving the end of the first mafia. I got teary eyed. "Mr. Salieri sends his regards"... all the emotions from the end of the first game came back. It was intense, even though the game didn't really pay much attention to it.

Yes, this was simply amazing. Best moment of the game. Knew it was coming when
i saw the red car, and then the house

Some may say it was
kinda forced, and yeah it would made no sense for someone who didnt played the first game i guess, but it was well done, so it kinda made up for it. I liked it.

BobsRevenge

SalsaShark said:
Some may say it was
kinda forced, and yeah it would made no sense for someone who didnt played the first game i guess, but it was well done, so it kinda made up for it. I liked it.
Dude, I didn't expect it all. Like,
I saw the dude watering his lawn and I was freaking out like "NO FUCKING WAY" and then it happened and I got a bit depressed for a bit. I've been drinking a decent amount due to some plans that fell through, and that sort of enhanced it, but like, Mafia 1 dude. The ending was so fucking emotional for me and having even a fraction of that carrying over directly into this game really lended some weight to the whole thing.
What that speaks to for how it compares to the first game is ambiguous for me right now. Its sort of a battle of between awesome-great storytelling mixed with nostalgia against just really good storytelling mixed with modern gameplay mechanics. A strange comparison.

stolin

I've just finished 100% and got the Platinum Trophy.

I played the story on Hard Mode first.. 11 hours to complete the Story. The most difficult part was the frustration of poor check points and replaying large portions of the Chapters for no real purpose.

Then I had to replay most of the Chapters again to find all the Playboys. I did this on Easy just to speed things up. Maybe 2-3 more hours. Then random mission replays for other Trophies.

Then the bulk of the time was collecting the Wanted Posters. Even with a general map of their location it's not easy finding all the nooks where these are hidden. Another 7 hours.

Final play time for 100% was 23:43.

Overall it was worth the play through, the few graphical effects missing don't really matter once you are absorbed. It's not a deal breaker and should not stop you from playing. Enjoy the game, it was fun.

I just wish the Jimmy's content was on the disc and not DLC. By the time Jimmy's Vendetta comes out I'll have moved on to another game. I won't pay for any DLC for this game.

BobsRevenge

Haunted said:
True. It probably should've been placed differently in the chapter progression.
Maybe before they were made, as the final test to become members or something. It felt kinda out of place, a forced throwback without any connection to the actual story.
It felt right as out of place though. If it fit in too well it would have been contrived. It was treated almost as a cameo. I thought it worked as well as it could have for
preserving integrity between the two while tying them together.

Although, like I said before, I didn't expect it.

I just wish the Jimmy's content was on the disc and not DLC. By the time Jimmy's Vendetta comes out I'll have moved on to another game. I won't pay for any DLC for this game.

Did you just rent the game? I rented the game from Blockbuster and since BB just gives you the game box now, I just took the code from the box and downloaded the DLC. It's there own fault for not taking the codes out.

eshwaaz

Up to chapter 9 now - really enjoying this game. It delivers such an amazing sense of place; the atmosphere is consistently amazing.

I do wish there was some reasonably compelling reason to explore, though. The sights are fantastic but there's literally no reason to wander. I understand that the game is designed as a linear experience for the sake of narrative, but it's a shame such a beautifully realized, detailed world will go largely unappreciated by most.

That being said (and I'm not one to call out reviews as being "wrong"), the 4 from Eurogamer.net is appalling. This game is worse than the average game out there? Ridiculous.

stolin

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Did you just rent the game? I rented the game from Blockbuster and since BB just gives you the game box now, I just took the code from the box and downloaded the DLC. It's there own fault for not taking the codes out.

I purchased the game for full price. My copy did not have any codes in it. Just a promo sheet for Jimmy's Vendetta. No one seems to be talking up Betrayal so I'm not sure I'm missing much..

Which brings me to this point.. why are there sooo many codes to redeem for this game.. Made Man Pack, Renegade Pack, Vegas, War Hero, Gangster Pack, Mob Pack, Greaser Pack, Jimmy this.. Jimmy that... I paid my $60. Why don't I just get all the content... :(

BobsRevenge

eshwaaz said:
Up to chapter 9 now - really enjoying this game. It delivers such an amazing sense of place; the atmosphere is consistently amazing.

I do wish there was some reasonably compelling reason to explore, though. The sights are fantastic but there's literally no reason to wander. I understand that the game is designed as a linear experience for the sake of narrative, but it's a shame such a beautifully realized, detailed world will go largely unappreciated by most.

That being said (and I'm not one to call out reviews as being "wrong"), the 4 from Eurogamer.net is appalling. This game is worse than the average game out there? Ridiculous.
Seriously. This game is at least an 8 for me. Like, it goes so much further with storytelling than most games even think to attempt. It is astonishing. The only other game that came out this year that attempts so much is Mass Effect 2 (and maybe a couple others I didn't play), and this game destroys that one at telling a compelling and mature story. Maybe this isn't the step towards mature storytelling in videogames that is most optimal, but it is still among the best we have. That itself is worth praise, especially these days where in we are so easily fooled.

In a world where DeathSpank is universally praised for its (incredibly dumb) humor, I'm not surprised that something as intelligent and well spoken as Mafia 2 would be given entirely undeserved lower grades as it rises above the vast majority of modern releases.

stolin said:
I purchased the game for full price. My copy did not have any codes in it. Just a promo sheet for Jimmy's Vendetta. No one seems to be talking up Betrayal so I'm not sure I'm missing much..

That promo sheet has the code on the back of it.

But yeah your not missing anything. I bitched about Betrayal on the previous page.

I bought this game yesterday.It's a shame the games looks a bit average for such a modern release.I think the game is ok, I've put in a few hours in it and I know it's pretty short, but hey if it's a good game who cares!

What exactly are these wanted posters and where can I find them? Only thing I have are some playboy mags and don't know where to find pinups ( are they an alternative to the playboys or something completely different?)

My screen still goes dim after I quit the game like the demo.

I like how you have to switch cars when you're wanted and change clothes.I found the lockpicking on the easy side and not has hard as other games.I would rate the cover system better than GTA 4.It's quite easy taking down cops/ 'bad guys' after a few hits with a gun.
Hand to hand combat ain't too bad.The story is picking up now, doing bigger jobs than before.

Got up to chapter 11 tonight. I still love it, but it really feels more like interactive fiction with occasional gameplay moments and setpieces. There's nothing wrong with that. There's room for these types of games in my opinion. As a fan of mob films it also hits all the right notes. It's just kind of odd that, outside of driving and a few firefights, there really hasn't been that many action-type moments.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Heh, so I just got to
whack the main character from Mafia 1
, pretty cool throwback there.

hitoshi

SalsaShark said:
Just finished it at 10-11 hours. Absolutely loved it. Had no problems with the ending whatsoever

Would have been kinda great if
they cut it exactly after the eye-rolling scene and not showing that bland terrain for like 10 seconds. I know that they tried to do a Sopranos here, but it really ruined it for me. Also the fact that the last chapter was like "oh my god, we have only 20 minutes left, do EVERYTHING we wanted to have in the last few hours, but in one single take!"

4 hours in, on chapter 8, absolutely loving this game. Even those segments I loathed in Rockstar games (specifically GTA4 and RDR), where you simply drive from point A to point B and listen to people, I enjoy those moments in Mafia II. I guess it just took having the right story and characters.

Omiee

SalsaShark said:
It isnt a ps3 exclusive.

I mean you are talking about upgrading your car´s engine or whatever right ? that can be done in the PC version.

he means making a car like a hot rod, i saw that people said it was
only on the ps3 or something.

kuYuri

So I just got the game today, opened it, went to check the manual.

The manual actually manages to be worse than any recent Activision game. Guess I should be thankful I got a map of Empire Bay. :lol

Salsa

Another thing to point out: i liked how this game was not afraid of being brutal regarding violence in some aspects.

I mean Vito is a likeable character, yeah, you root for him, but he´s working for the mob, and he fuckin kills people. This worked a lot better than in GTA IV IMO for some reason. The whole
brawl in the prison with Brian O´neill, ending with Vitto stabbing him in the neck without thinking twice about it
, the ending
shooting Falcone multiple times, and enjoying it
. Even stuff that wasnt commited by Vito like
the Henry slaughter, or Marty getting killed :(

For some reason i was much more impressed by the violence in this game than in games like grand theft auto. Probably because there isnt many. Since you avoid hitting pedestrians and killing innocent people, the moments were people really die, it just hits you in a different way. Its also a lot mercy-less in what the game wants to show you, its a dirty business i guess.

Going back to Vito, and again comparing with GTA (they are different games, yeah, one is sandbox and one is not, but they can be comparable in the way the mission system works, for example) it also does the good/bad balance better, he does
think twice and refuses about going with Marty to the mission, showing some common sense
, but he doesnt even feels too sorry about it afterwards, everyone knew the consequences and shit happens, he´s one sick motherfucker when he needs to be.

BobsRevenge said:
... it went in the same direction as the first game. How could they not know?

Because clearly game design has changed since the first game. I can see why they chose to do so but all I meant was they didn't know whether they should stick with the same formula as Mafia or try something fresh. Clearly they went with the former. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed what I played, but I had really hoped for more.

Just finished it now. Starts too slow with too many cut scenes but gets moving after
the prison chapter
- which was the most boring chapter in the game.

Killing
Tommy Angelo
was a great emotional hook. Drew me right in until the ending which was understated but well played.

The Greaser mission is one of the more outstanding ones in memory -
destroying the bar and then finally stealing their hotrod to the tune of "Long Tall Sally"
was a really awesome touch. A pity that the majority of the missions didn't live up to the standards set in the first game.

I'm also a fan of Vito not being the next Nico and spouting out moral bullshit that he came to America for a new life and then starts killing everyone he sees 5 minutes later.

I haven't read any spoilers yet as I haven't received the game yet, so just a question:

If I haven't played the original Mafia, will I just miss some great cameos or throwbacks, or will I be missing some major connections? I'm fine with not getting some references, but if it will greatly enhance my enjoyment, I might read the wiki or watch youtube clips of the original's story.

So GAF, worth the effort or can I enjoy the game on its own?

iamcool388 said:
I haven't read any spoilers yet as I haven't received the game yet, so just a question:

If I haven't played the original Mafia, will I just miss some great cameos or throwbacks, or will I be missing some major connections? I'm fine with not getting some references, but if it will greatly enhance my enjoyment, I might read the wiki or watch youtube clips of the original's story.

So GAF, worth the effort or can I enjoy the game on its own?

You'll miss a couple of references and chapter 14(I think?) won't have any emotional impact for you. But nothing that will make or break the game.

Sloane

Banned
So. I've bought the PC version. Because, you know, I like playing PC games, the demo made me feel this is a PC game, and it looks better on the PC and shit.

Yet, for some reason, I am not allowed to create two different player profiles on the PC? Or, at least, create my own savegames? Meaning that it's virtually impossible to have two different people play the fucking game at the same PC without copying and renaming folders -- which is perfectly possible on Xbox 360 and PS3?

What. The. Fuck.

I just didn't see the option to create a second profile or savegames. Right? Right???

Finished it. About 11 hours in total, which I feel is a good time.

Chapter 10-15 are pretty fucking incredible. Every mission in those chapters feels memorable and it didn't feel like I was just driving around the city for the sake of it. After seeing how many fun missions the devs came up with it kinda made me dislike the first 9 even more, however, because two thirds of their game was pretty shitty from a mission perspective. I want Mafia 3 to be the same quality as the last third of this game.

I feel this is probably one of the strongest game narratives I've experienced in a while. It's not original in the slightest, it's basically The Godfather and Goodfellas merged in to one, but the voice acting is convincing and the writing was always strong. As a huge fan of gangster films I'm glad I played it just to experience the story alone.

I'm mixed about the ending.
It felt quite rushed, just a random shoot-out in a building that seemingly had no connection to the rest of the game. I don't believe that Joe would even consider whacking Vito for one second, either, and I groaned as they revealed it was him holding the gun to his head because it was the most obvious plot twist they could've done. Sure, it was only teased, but the fact they teased it was bad enough. I did really like the very last scene, however.

Overall I really enjoyed the experience, but it was mostly for the story. At least the gameplay went out on a high.

eshwaaz

GillianSeed79 said:
Got up to chapter 11 tonight. I still love it, but it really feels more like interactive fiction with occasional gameplay moments and setpieces. There's nothing wrong with that. There's room for these types of games in my opinion. As a fan of mob films it also hits all the right notes. It's just kind of odd that, outside of driving and a few firefights, there really hasn't been that many action-type moments.
Well put. I agree completely.

jaundicejuice said:
4 hours in, on chapter 8, absolutely loving this game. Even those segments I loathed in Rockstar games (specifically GTA4 and RDR), where you simply drive from point A to point B and listen to people, I enjoy those moments in Mafia II. I guess it just took having the right story and characters.
Same. For some reason, even mundane tasks feel oddly compelling here.

coopolon

Sloane said:
So. I've bought the PC version. Because, you know, I like playing PC games, the demo made me feel this is a PC game, and it looks better on the PC and shit.

Yet, for some reason, I am not allowed to create two different player profiles on the PC? Or, at least, create my own savegames? Meaning that it's virtually impossible to have two different people play the fucking game at the same PC without copying and renaming folders -- which is perfectly possible on Xbox 360 and PS3?

What. The. Fuck.

I just didn't see the option to create a second profile or savegames. Right? Right???

Yah, the save system on the PC is complete garbage. They should really be taken to task for screwing it up so much.

I'm looking for the save games right now, I'm not sure where they store them. My only thought is if they store them somewhere in your user folder (my documents, my games, etc.) then maybe by logging into a different profile on the pc? I know, that's not a very good solution...

So, without any spoilers, is there any side-missions in this game or just one straight line? Also, we're talking about a 20-30 hours-kinda game or more like an adventure title with a 10 hours story?

coopolon

SketchTheArtist said:
So, without any spoilers, is there any side-missions in this game or just one straight line? Also, we're talking about a 20-30 hours-kinda game or more like an adventure title with a 10 hours story?

No side missions, straight game with 10 hours story.

Sloane

Banned
coopolon said:
My only thought is if they store them somewhere in your user folder (my documents, my games, etc.) then maybe by logging into a different profile on the pc?
Yeah, looks like that's the case. Don't really feel like creating a second user account just for one game though. Renaming folders it is, then. :/

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Just finished it. The story was good but overall it is a mediocre game that will be forgotten a few months from now.

I'm glad I didn't fall for the hype and saved my money for Reach.

BobsRevenge

You know what's awesome that Mafia 2 brought back to the gaming world after a long hiatus?

Mirrors.

Just finished the
prison
chapter, really could have done without it. I get what the game is trying to do, but if I am itching for gameplay it is easily frustrating. I think this might be why there is such polarity in the reviews. You really have to be relaxed and ready to absorb the story to full appreciate this game.

SalsaShark said:
It isnt a ps3 exclusive.

I mean you are talking about upgrading your car´s engine or whatever right ? that can be done in the PC version.
Not the 3rd tier - Supercharged (basically a hot rod).
You also can't use custom paint jobs.

See this video for more.

My friend and I are still trying to figure out why this, of all features, are exclusive. :lol

Zeliard

SketchTheArtist said:
Aaahhh ok. I'm sort of disappointed since I was thinking it would've been a complete world like the one GTA 4 was.

Ask yourself what there actually is to do of interest in GTAIV's open world.

Not much, even in the expansions - they don't come anywhere close to the GTA3-series games in that respect. The only thing I found that entertaining was the most wanted cop stuff, but that also got repetitive. Bowling, darts, button-mash arm-wrestling, "eating", simplistic MMA fighting. Very weak. Drinking is fun the first couple of times due to the Euphoria physics, but it gets old quickly, as do the comedy shows.

GTAIV has an open world but it doesn't do a great deal there beyond having it serve as an impressively detailed backdrop, and the missions don't involve actual sandbox gameplay nearly as much as the old GTA games did.

I spent probably 80+ hours simply messing around in GTA4 and its episodes.

I didn't want to spend one second doing anything but the main missions in Mafia 2.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, because I loved the focus on the story and ultimately that's what made this narrative gripping whereas the GTA ones aren't, however Rockstar have mastered creating an environment where there's tons of way to have fun, even if they aren't minigames or whatever that you can list.

MMaRsu

Foliorum Viridum said:
I spent probably 80+ hours simply messing around in GTA4 and its episodes.

I didn't want to spend one second doing anything but the main missions in Mafia 2.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, because I loved the focus on the story and ultimately that's what made this narrative gripping whereas the GTA ones aren't, however Rockstar have mastered creating an environment where there's tons of way to have fun, even if they aren't minigames or whatever that you can list.

But this game doesn't want you to 'mess around'in the same way you do in GTAIV.

I understand what you mean though :p.

I understand that completely - I said as much in my post by highlighting the focus on the story. I was merely defending GTA4's ability to entertain outside of the missions as Zeliard's post struck me as somewhat unfair.

That'll be my last post on the matter, because I don't want to derail the thread. :)

I finished the game today as well and I LOVE it! It's not as good as Mafia 1 was the years back but it's just great. I don't get any of the complains. Go, play some Modern Warfare 2 then guys.

BobsRevenge said:
Dude, I didn't expect it all. Like,
I saw the dude watering his lawn and I was freaking out like "NO FUCKING WAY" and then it happened and I got a bit depressed for a bit. I've been drinking a decent amount due to some plans that fell through, and that sort of enhanced it, but like, Mafia 1 dude. The ending was so fucking emotional for me and having even a fraction of that carrying over directly into this game really lended some weight to the whole thing.
What that speaks to for how it compares to the first game is ambiguous for me right now. Its sort of a battle of between awesome-great storytelling mixed with nostalgia against just really good storytelling mixed with modern gameplay mechanics. A strange comparison.
I did expect it to some degree,
when Leo said he is going to Lost Heaven to be out of town. After that being said I closed the game and looked for a Leo in the Mafia 1 cast or anything...:lol It really got me when the name of the chapter was seen on the screen:
"Stairway to heaven" - I really like the naming of this chapter. Angelo, Lost Heaven, Stairway (death), just awesome!

And when the red car was standing in the garage I was "Oh shit, I'm right, damn, damn, damn" all the time until I was at that house.

I hope we see some more connection of
Leo and Tommy
in an DLC or something

Zeliard

Foliorum Viridum said:
I understand that completely - I said as much in my post by highlighting the focus on the story. I was merely defending GTA4's ability to entertain outside of the missions as Zeliard's post struck me as somewhat unfair.

I wasn't trying to completely throw out everything GTAIV does (I actually enjoyed the two DLC episodes quite a lot), but simply saying that just because there's an open world with side activities doesn't mean those will always be interesting.

I also put in a lot of hours in GTAIV and its episodes, but little of it was spent doing the actual side activities they offer you - it was doing things like getting into shootouts with cops and messing around with the Euphoria physics.

I was also criticizing GTAIV mostly relative to previous GTA games which did much more with their open worlds in terms of sandbox gameplay. Hopefully we'll see a return to that next GTA.

sweetfish

Gold Member
Just finished story,
awesome shit (the end kinda was a little too abrupt, and I need the DLC right now)... But what the hell, NO FREERIDE MODE? Good god, what have science done... :( If freeride mode comes as a DLC that cost, I'm going to snap.

Top Bottom