• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

Haunted

Linkzg said:
I thought the Mafia 1 tie-in was one of those things you saw coming since the early Mafia 2 footage. I was at the point where I was expecting it going into the game. It made too much sense. The problem was that there wasn't really any weight to it even if you played the first game.
True. It probably should've been placed differently in the chapter progression.
Maybe before they were made, as the final test to become members or something. It felt kinda out of place, a forced throwback without any connection to the actual story.

Linkzg said:
and while I enjoyed the shooting Mafia 2, it isn't as unique as Mafia 1. Things like limiting the weapons you could carry, reloading causing you to waste the rest of your clip, the slower pace, and enemies that could run out of ammo themselves really made the shoot outs feel tense.
I know exactly what you mean. Mafia 1 had its on vibe going on - and it was good.

Just wanted to express that Mafia II's shooting is more competent from a mechanical standpoint. Seamless cover, moving around corners, world destruction... the shooting mechanics are just polished.

Vlodril

world destruction

That was really great. Even with Physx off the destructibility was great. Also loved the explosions.

Had no idea you can take multiple paths in some quests
didnt know about the alarm shutting off so i just run the hell out of there when they shot me, also i hide under the bed in my playthrough.

GeekyDad

Put in a couple of hours with the game, and...meh. The presentation is tons more interesting than any GTA game I've played, but it's also very niche material. The dialogue and settings are, to me anyway, extremely authentic. Kind of threw me when I heard them throwing around the term "mulignan." They use it liberally, too. Game feels kinda ho-hum, though. I absolutely love the cover system, but the shooting and fighting feel clumsy. Driving isn't as bad as some make it out to be; as a matter of fact, I'm enjoying that aspect of the game thus far. Not sure if it's worth seeing through to the end, though. This game seems custom made for lovers of this time period and culture. Not really my personal bag, although props for giving a more realistic peek into what it was probably like to make one's way up the Mafia ladder. Seeing Joe's apartment for the first time really drives home the idea of how low on the scrotum pole those two guys were.

heringer

Linkzg said:
I thought the Mafia 1 tie-in was one of those things you saw coming since the early Mafia 2 footage. I was at the point where I was expecting it going into the game. It made too much sense. The problem was that there wasn't really any weight to it even if you played the first game.

As lame as it might sound, if they had Vito involved with Tommy's daughter or something, it would make it more than just you taking out the guy from the first game.

and while I enjoyed the shooting Mafia 2, it isn't as unique as Mafia 1. Things like limiting the weapons you could carry, reloading causing you to waste the rest of your clip, the slower pace, and enemies that could run out of ammo themselves really made the shoot outs feel tense.
Mafia 2 also gives you ammo like candy. I never had to use a 38. revolver or another shitty weapon.

Some shootouts in Mafia could become very tense with the lack of ammo.

I'm 3 hours in, on chapter 8 and so far I'm mixed. The narrative and visuals are great, but the actual game? I'm not sure I'm having that much fun playing it.

At this rate I might complete it tonight. :lol

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm 3 hours in, on chapter 8 and so far I'm mixed. The narrative and visuals are great, but the actual game? I'm not sure I'm having that much fun playing it.

At this rate I might complete it tonight. :lol

Well the ending missions are a bit longer than the first few ones.

I really advice everybody playing it on Hard, a bit of a challenge but most of them can do it.

MMaRsu

Played 8 and a half hours so far, I'm in chapter 8 right now. I'm still loving it! Playing on hard is tough though sometimes!

sweetvar26 said:
Well the ending missions are a bit longer than the first few ones.

I really advice everybody playing it on Hard, a bit of a challenge but most of them can do it.
Yeah, I just finished chapter 9 and that was much longer. Really good, too. I'm playing on easy, which is why I'm going through it so fast.

So far, my main complaint is the fact that none of the missions are all that memorable. I seem to be driving 80% of the time, and although the city looks nice, it's hardly well designed or too enjoyable to traverse for that long. Then, when I get somewhere, I either have a quick shoot-out, or have to drive somewhere else just to watch a cutscene.

The story has been paced well enough, and taken the best bits from the classic gangster films, that I don't care too much, but hand on my heart I can't say that the story is enough to make this all that of a good game.

The pity is the shoot-outs are really tense. In chapter 9, I loved the firefight at the end, but that's been one of, what, four big ones? I don't think the entire game should be one firefight, but the more mundane missions aren't interesting, compared to those in other games.

The story gets an 8/10 for me, the game closer to a 4 or 5. Maybe the last third of the game will improve that a bit.

derFeef

Finally got to play a bit. I am loving the atmospehre of this game - everything is very well put together and filled with little details.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Foliorum Viridum said:
So far, my main complaint is the fact that none of the missions are all that memorable. I seem to be driving 80% of the time, and although the city looks nice, it's hardly well designed or too enjoyable to traverse for that long. Then, when I get somewhere, I either have a quick shoot-out, or have to drive somewhere else just to watch a cutscene.
Yeah this is also my main complaint actually. Tho I can imagine if I spaced out the time to finish the game I wouldn't mind the driving as much

I think 4 hours for the first 10 chapters was quite a nice pace, personally. The characters were built up well, the twists and turns of the story came before it got too boring and now the real drama is clearly just about to start.

It sounds like MMaRsu is having a blast with the game, which is great, but I can't imagine spending 8 hours to get to the same point. I would've got bored by then, I think.

scitek

Ok, so I enjoyed the game, but will never play it again and I thought the gameplay was tedious a lot of times. Way too much driving for my tastes, inconsistent and nonsensical police, wonky cover system, shit AI. I also hold the fact that there's nothing else to do aside from the story missions against the game because it didn't HAVE to be a sandbox title, but since it is one, it has to be held to the standards others have set IMO. The story was very well-told, and I think it's worth a play-through just for that, but for anyone on the fence, I'd wait for a sale to pick it up.

EDIT: I have to say, though, that the voice-acting was very nice, and this game does a great job at selling the period it's set in. Other games should definitely take note when applying atmospheric touches.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The game starts to stutter after some time. Like, I play 40 minutes and suddenly, it stops responding and rendering for like 200ms every 3 seconds; audio plays on though. Restarting the game solves this. Very annoying!

So, wait... my friend has the PC version and he's telling me that the 3rd tier (Supercharged) for car upgrades isn't available for him, nor the custom paint jobs for cars.

These are PS3-exclusive features?? Why? :lol

Revolutionary said:
So, wait... my friend has the PC version and he's telling me that the 3rd tier (Supercharged) for car upgrades isn't available for him, nor the custom paint jobs for cars.

Really, lol! I Supercharge all of my cars!!!

cjtiger300 said:
Really, lol! I Supercharge all of my cars!!!
Seriously. He was telling me how much of a pain in the ass the 125mph achievement was, when I told him to "just Supercharge a muscle car and you're good". He looked at me as if I was speaking another language. :lol "Supercharge??"

Finished the game, and while I'm not disappointed with the length I overall wish I had waited to pick this up. Even on PC, what's there just doesn't come across as a good value at full price and I am somewhat frustrated with that. The game just seems to end and you don't even realize it until the credits roll.

I can't complain though, it was a nicely produced Mafia story but I just wish they had stuck with a genre/gameplay checklist and ran with it. It's got this great open-world setting with shit to do in it, but a great action/adventure type story and progression. It just seems like a game where the devs didn't know which direction to go in.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Finished the game, and while I'm not disappointed with the length I overall wish I had waited to pick this up. Even on PC, what's there just doesn't come across as a good value at full price and I am somewhat frustrated with that. The game just seems to end and you don't even realize it until the credits roll.

I can't complain though, it was a nicely produced Mafia story but I just wish they had stuck with a genre/gameplay checklist and ran with it. It's got this great open-world setting with shit to do in it, but a great action/adventure type story and progression. It just seems like a game where the devs didn't know which direction to go in.
... it went in the same direction as the first game. How could they not know?

Say what you will about other mechanics, the entire wanted system is by-far the best out there. That is one thing I hope open world games take from this. Escaping actually feels like you outwit the cops, not just drive out of a circle or something silly like that.

calder

Finally got a chance to play it a bit today, and while the game isn't quite great this is the best looking city I've ever seen. The architecture, the city design, the graphics themselves, the weather, etc combined with the cars and people are just amazing. One of the best looking PC games I've played period, and it runs pretty well even on my Q6600. Framerate jumps a bit from 60ish to high 30's in some scenes but as most settings on on high and my resolution is maxed (for my monitor anyway) I'm quite satisfied.

As many have mentioned the mechanics are all very solid, the shooting and driving are pretty fun throughout. But sadly the story is a bit meh and the missions are pretty generic so far, but I'm only in chapter 6 so I guess I'm about half way done?

Some more screens (no spoilers!)

3-11.jpg

2-12.jpg

1-12.jpg

4-6.jpg

Forsete

Does the game have a built in screenshot function? The game pauses a bit when I press Print Screen so I thought it might be saving the screen. But I cant find any such folder in My Documents nor steamapps. Looks like I wasted a few hours pressing Print Screen. :p

Holy Crap! There were 25,000+ people playing this game concurrently on Steam. That's the highest number I've seen for a single player game since I started using Steam 3 years ago.

burgerdog

Revolutionary said:

Seriously? :/

Salsa

dark10x said:
What are your specs?

I'm impressed by how it looks AND how it runs. On my setup, I get a constant 60 fps 99% of the time on the highest detail settings. The only hitches that occur do so when driving through loading tunnels (and it's a very briefly hiccup). I'm amazed at how smoothly this runs!

9600gt 512ddr3
E7200 @ 2.53GHz
2gb ram

Like i said, just a regular "mid-end" (maybe barely, im not really up to whats the standard today) rig, nothing too fancy.

luca_29_bg said:
Where you get this smoking ? O_O

Made man pack dlc, came with collectors edition. Its just a couple of suits and cars.

derFeef

Mh, for whatever reason the game runs worse for me with physx medium (cloths off) as in the demo. Gettitn serious slowdowns when smoke shows up.

Lasthope106 said:
Holy Crap! There were 25,000+ people playing this game concurrently on Steam. That's the highest number I've seen for a single player game since I started using Steam 3 years ago.

Impressive!
Although Football Manager has been above that number many times before.

Developers listen up, you put out a decent PC version, it'll sell just fine. Phone it in and it'll bomb.

Well, fuck, I just did chapters 10 and 11 and it's EVERYTHING I wanted this game to be from the start.
The infiltration mission was really fun, and the resulting shoot-out/chase was a nice action sequence. Then you have the great character/story moment with Joe and how he deals with the death of his kid. Next chapter you have the wonderful story of Leo and Harry (I got caught lying under the bed :lol ) and the incredibly tense sequence when your house is set on fire. I just fucking legged it for a good block or two before even thinking of hopping in a car - my adrenaline was pumping.

So yeah, I'm really impressed. The story got even better and at last we're getting some memorable missions. I want to play more, but it's midnight here and I've played for about 6 hours today, so I'll leave the rest for tomorrow.

Also, with everything on max, at 2048x1152, it's barely ever dipped below 50fps for me, so I agree it's a great PC version. I don't have PhsyX on, though.

bee

nvidia seem to be whoring this game by giving away codes for the full game with any gtx 465,470,480 card bought. damn good decision by them imo, i'm playing it on a single gtx 480 with all in game settings maxed including phsyx (with the cloth tweak) and with 3D vision enabled and its certainly up there with the very best i've seen like metro 2033 and it still runs very well indeed. its not the greatest game i've ever played , far from it, but it's much more of a mainstream game to get behind with your 2 major semi exclusive features than other games like metro

AshMcCool

I personally never saw the tie-in coming. I've never noticed that Vito and Joe look like that two guys. They really do. It was just a really cool fan service.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
17 hours in and just got to Chapter 9. This game is incredibly good.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
rvy said:
Sevente... what? I thought this game was 10 hours long?
I'm taking my time. Obeying traffic laws, exploring a lot, etc. I'm very impressed by the game so far.

Smokey

Just finished it. Great game.

The game starts out pretty fucking slow..and I was actually bored until the chapter where you're in
prison
. I felt like the game really picked up from there. The latter chapters it's just non stop intense stuff and I loved it.

I'll also say that the writing and voice acting in this game was fucking awesome. The actors all hit their lines nicely and the connection I felt with the characters in this game was something I really haven't felt before in a game. Good stuff.

About the ending:

I didn't have a problem with it. It was one of those 'oh shit' type of endings. Vito was used as a pawn throughout the entire game and I thought it was interesting how they ended the game with him being in that position again with far more consequences personally seeing how Joe is probably gonna get killed.

Also, I never played Mafia 1 so could somebody explain to me how this game ties into the original?

Overall I really enjoyed the game. The music was great, the voice acting and writing were great, there were alot of disturbing scenes in this game too:lol , which was great. My only gripe(s) are that the game starts off slow as hell and there is way to much driving for my tastes. Other than that, great game. Now to send it back to Gamefly tomorrow in the hopes of it getting to them in time for Metroid to get sent to me!

I completed the game (on PC, maximum settings) and the experience was OK, def not GOTY.

Now some would disagree with what im about to say but i think the devs were out of their mind when they spent the resources to create a diner in game.. i stopped by for 30 seconds throughout the whole 12hr play through. I liked some of the missions and the ending but damn was the pacing horrible.. i guess better luck next time? which should be in 5-8 yrs :lol

Jenga

Banned
Smokey said:
Also, I never played Mafia 1 so could somebody explain to me how this game ties into the original?
Vito and Joe murder Tommy Angelo in the beginning of Chapter 14. He was the protagonist of Mafia I. GO PLAY THAT GAME NOW!

Smokey

Jenga said:
Vito and Joe murder Tommy Angelo in the beginning of Chapter 14. He was the protagonist of Mafia I. GO PLAY THAT GAME NOW!

stuff about mafia I and tie in to mafia II:

haha yeah i didn't get the significance of that. i was just like..uh..ok :lol . so at the end of the game tommy turned to the feds huh. interesting.

Darkman M

Linkzg said:
Say what you will about other mechanics, the entire wanted system is by-far the best out there. That is one thing I hope open world games take from this. Escaping actually feels like you outwit the cops, not just drive out of a circle or something silly like that.

Yeah the wanted system here is by far the best ive seen.

Top Bottom