• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia II |OT| Hey Vito, drive me to the other side of town

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
wmat said:
The end is
obviously a setup for continuation through DLC
I hope not. The ending worked really well. I don't want them to expand on it.

eshwaaz

Just beat it; absolutely loved this game. It certainly has its share of shortcomings, but the overall experience was extremely enjoyable. I'm very big on atmosphere in games, and the world of Mafia 2 sucked me in completely.

Joe may be my favorite male sidekick/buddy ever. He plays so heavily into the story and gameplay that it was essential that he be likable and endearing, and they pulled it off beautifully. So many games saddle you with an A.I. companion that's utterly grating (inFamous, Alan Wake), it's refreshing to see it done right.

Also, the faces of the main characters in Mafia 2 are, for the most part, gorgeous. Some of the most appealing "realistic" faces I've ever seen in a game. Facial animation and lip sync are just okay, but the modeling and textures are really impressive. Eyes avoid the lifeless, dead look of most games.

I really hope Mafia 2 sells well. Illusion Softworks has made a game quite unlike anything else I've played this gen, and I want to see what else they're capable of with this series.

eshwaaz said:
Just beat it; absolutely loved this game. It certainly has its share of shortcomings, but the overall experience was extremely enjoyable. I'm very big on atmosphere in games, and the world of Mafia 2 sucked me in completely.

Joe may be my favorite male sidekick/buddy ever. He plays so heavily into the story and gameplay that it was essential that he be likable and endearing, and they pulled it off beautifully. So many games saddle you with an A.I. companion that's utterly grating (inFamous, Alan Wake), it's refreshing to see it done right.

Also, the faces of the main characters in Mafia 2 are, for the most part, gorgeous. Some of the most appealing "realistic" faces I've ever seen in a game. Facial animation and lip sync are just okay, but the modeling and textures are really impressive. Eyes avoid the lifeless, dead look of most games.

I really hope Mafia 2 sells well. Illusion Softworks has made a game quite unlike anything else I've played this gen, and I want to see what else they're capable of with this series.

This was certainly my favorite story and plotting and characterization of next gen. The actual gameplay when it came down to the actual shooting was average for me and it's not a very expansive open world game when it comes to activities but the immersiveness was top notch.

For me, this game is like piece of shit designed by 10 yrs old kids.

Am I playing action game or fucked up wanna be car driving game? Even five years old can come up with better mission design. I like atmosphere. I like story. I like missions when there is real gameplay instead of driving from point A to point B. But I can't enjoy good parts at all because I know it is a ten seconds teaser of what this game could have been and anytime I'll have to get in the car.

Checkpoints are in places to piss you off too. In few missions, it force you to replay driving part and some long fights without any checkpoints in between. Wasted way too much time in chapter 14 dock fight and now I have absolutely no desire to finish this game.

I hate this new trend in games where you get on-screen prompts for stupid useless actions like turn on/off lights/shower/faucets, open/close doors etc.

wmat said:
The end is
obviously a setup for continuation through DLC

Right before the last mission Leo Galante asks you to take a ride with him and he explains that war between the families might break out and the FBI is on their ass.. to me the ending doesn't explain how the family deals with that problem.. it could be dlc, or it could be another sequel continuing where Mafia II left off. Joe was never shown to be executed.. who knows lol the FBI could of followed him, saved Joe and turn him into an informant.

yeah i definitely believe it will.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
MirageDwarf said:
Checkpoints are in places to piss you off too. In few missions, it force you to replay driving part and some long fights without any checkpoints in between. Wasted way too much time in chapter 14 dock fight and now I have absolutely no desire to finish this game.
The trick is to
run to where there's a ceiling over your head when the fat dude throws the molotovs. Then creep back. Easy!

I hate this new trend in games where you get on-screen prompts for stupid useless actions like turn on/off lights/shower/faucets, open/close doors etc.
Not a new trend at all! For instance, in Max Payne, you could do a lot of that stuff just as well.

And the opening of doors helps the pacing, although it's sort of pointless when it doesn't, but that's how it is with generic game logic: You either tag the shit out of your database to have specific behavior for specific pieces and put a few months extra into development or you pick a default behavior that works well enough everywhere and deteriorate from that where appropriate (an example being doors you can kick in — not a default behavior).

Looking through some of the files I found some interesting bits!

There is supposed to be an EXTREME difficulty mode!

Think twice before using Extreme level. It is difficult even for experts or highly experienced players.

There are also some texts included to use taxis like in GTA 4.

Another interesting bit is
Quick fight
Quick race
Free ride
The Story
and
Fire an equipped weapon from car
Switch driving style between normal/aggressive

Sounds all great! I hope we don't have to pay for all this.

edit: some more:
Goto www.mafia2game.com/sweepstakes to register.
Mafia II Demo Sweepstakes
Replay the demo and find the Mafia II poster hidden somewhere in Empire Bay to enter the sweepstakes.
Go to www.mafia2game.com/sweepstakes for details on entry criteria and prizes
You killed innocent people. Your reputation is getting lower!

Jimmy's Vendetta sounds awesome! Four gangs and you need to kill all of the four bosses. Do missions for them like steal cars, destroy shops, destroy crates. All four apartments are useable as well.

Perhaps the church is in one of the DLCs as well.

Beat Mafia II this afternoon. Fun game that totally captured the vibe of my favorite mobster flicks.

That being said, I am glad I rented it. I would have felt burnt if I had thrown down $60.00 on a game with so little to offer content wise.

GeekyDad

Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah world immersion is bad.

Nah, those mechanics don't immerse you into the world; they merely bring attention to the fact that, yes, you are indeed playing a game. When those mechanics make sense, like say, taking a shower in real life, then having the ability to turn on a faucet will immerse you in the game world. The Sims this is not, however. Those elements in Mafia II are just silly, little novelties that bring unnecessary attention to themselves, and in a game where story is supposed to be a huge factor, giving the player more ways to break the game deconstructs the experience further.

CAW

MMaRsu said:
So is this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrHnVkdNdv8&feature=related

a place that might get used by dlc?
Seems likely.

It's
Vinci's mansion
and with the way the game ended
(Vito joining the Vinci family, or at least working for them at the end)
it's likely we'll be going there. There's also some roads that lead off the map (currently greyed out) so perhaps it will eventually expand? Limitless possibilities to be honest.

K' Dash

My God,
Henry, what the fuck did they do to you? that's a fucked up way to die, I'm fucking depresed, I really liked him

markot

Banned
Schopenhauer said:
Beat Mafia II this afternoon. Fun game that totally captured the vibe of my favorite mobster flicks.

That being said, I am glad I rented it. I would have felt burnt if I had thrown down $60.00 on a game with so little to offer content wise.
>.< Its totally worth it.

And the game would get too confusing without the 'hints' on what button to press if you can press a button. It hardly breaks the immersion at all.

markot

Banned
K' Dash said:
My God,
Henry, what the fuck did they do to you? that's a fucked up way to die, I'm fucking depresed, I really liked him
Yeah, I liked him >.< and I felt bad when
marty died oh, and when joe accidently killed the bar keeper >.>

MMaRsu

K' Dash said:
My God,

I know right? What the fuck was up with that? :(

I was kinda depressed after that too.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I was pretty depressed after Henry died also. What a terrible way to die :(

Interesting finds. Wonder if it's DLC or simply cut content. They did cut quite a bit of content.
And holy crap at the dashboard view. Do want.

RedSwirl

I really appreciated how much Mafia II purposed its gameplay purely towards telling a story.

There are whole missions where you really don't do anything but drive to a place, press X a few times, drive somewhere else, repeat. That stuff would feel completely boring without a compelling story, likable characters, good voice acting, and atmosphere going on to carry it, and Mafia II pretty much nails all of that.

Heavy Rain would have had you doing some weird QTEs and other stuff at half the parts in this game. Mafia II however just takes "normal" gameplay schemes and pushes them as far as possible to tell its story.

Favorite part: when that one guy threatens to kill you if you change the radio station while driving home.

eshwaaz

RedSwirl said:
There are whole missions where you really don't do anything but drive to a place, press X a few times, drive somewhere else, repeat. That stuff would feel completely boring without a compelling story, likable characters, good voice acting, and atmosphere going on to carry it, and Mafia II pretty much nails all of that.
Right on. I can completely see how some would consider those missions utterly boring and mundane, but for the reasons you cited they worked for me.

I do wish there had been some interaction in certain moments, like when
you have to take a body out of the trunk and bury it. I'd have appreciated having to actually control Vito in this sequence - walk over to the trunk, press a button to open the trunk, press a button to lift the body, walk slowly over to the grave, press a button to dump him in, pick up the shovel, and a few button presses to bury him.
As I said, I can understand why some would consider that pointless filler (and in a different game, I would completely agree), but here it would have helped me be invested in that moment.

Jenga

Banned
eshwaaz said:
Joe is my favorite AI companion besides Alyx from HL2.

Really loved his characterization. Everything about him felt perfect. From the voice-acting, his different models, etc. He's a low-down womanizing bastard but he genuinely cares about the few friends he has.

suEcide

Regarding chapter 14 with Derek and the docks:

When you enter the warehouse, and you have to kill Derek and his goons, are the goons on infinite respawn until you kill Derek? I've attempted this mission a handful of times now...beginning to piss me off. It seems like when I finish off a wave of the goons and attempt to reach Derek, a new batch of guys come out of no where

MirageDwarf said:
For me, this game is like piece of shit designed by 10 yrs old kids.

Am I playing action game or fucked up wanna be car driving game? Even five years old can come up with better mission design. I like atmosphere. I like story. I like missions when there is real gameplay instead of driving from point A to point B. But I can't enjoy good parts at all because I know it is a ten seconds teaser of what this game could have been and anytime I'll have to get in the car.

What? Am I clown? Am I here to fuckin' amuse you?

*he's a big boy. He knows what he said*

No, no. How am I fuckin' funny? 10-year-olds? No, tell me why you think I'm fuckin' funny.

suEcide said:
Regarding chapter 14 with Derek and the docks:

When you enter the warehouse, and you have to kill Derek and his goons, are the goons on infinite respawn until you kill Derek? I've attempted this mission a handful of times now...beginning to piss me off. It seems like when I finish off a wave of the goons and attempt to reach Derek, a new batch of guys come out of no where

K for this I did this accidentally but worked just fine. I was playing on Hard
and as soon as I walked in I was getting stormed by all the fucking Moltov's, I couldn't dodge for shit.

The very next try, after clearing all the guys outside the warehouse, I drove my fucking car inside the warehouse all the way to the end, got out, shot the few guys at the end. I think that's it for the ones on the ground, the rest of them were on the top.

I got underneath the Catwalk, started throwing my grenades up killing more people, some ran down the stairs to kill me but it was only one at a time, so was easy to pick them off. After a while they stopped coming and only a couple left on the catwalk, threw the motlov's up trying to kill Derek and one of them actually got him and I just ran up the stairs.

Good luck.

suEcide

sweetvar26 said:
and as soon as I walked in I was getting stormed by all the fucking Moltov's, I couldn't dodge for shit.

The very next try, after clearing all the guys outside the warehouse, I drove my fucking car inside the warehouse all the way to the end, got out, shot the few guys at the end. I think that's it for the ones on the ground, the rest of them were on the top.

I got underneath the Catwalk, started throwing my grenades up killing more people, some ran down the stairs to kill me but it was only one at a time, so was easy to pick them off. After a while they stopped coming and only a couple left on the catwalk, threw the motlov's up trying to kill Derek and one of them actually got him and I just ran up the stairs.

Good luck.

Thanks man. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Finished the game and thought it was good. Will probably play it again on hard. Wasn't quite as amazing as I was hoping for and it's certainly no GTAIV/Uncharted 2, but it's still fun. Now....with that being said....

Zoso said:
I hope not. The ending worked really well. I don't want them to expand on it.

Bullshit. The ending was mediocre in the face of an otherwise exceptional game.
It screams "Hey guys! Let's give you this tremendous cliffhanger so that we now got you hook, line and sinker for the inevitable sequel!" Very tacky and felt rushed. Could've ended with much better resolution to the characters and an expanded dialog. Feels like the first half of KB Vol.1.
Pretty unsatisfying.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well I just platinumed it, came under 20 hours of playtime by 3 minutes lol

Story was fun, but the way the game was segmented was horrible

8 hours of pointless driving, 4 hours of real action, the rest 8 hours looking for the collectibles

I understand the take me here or meet me here aspect of the game, but Holy Shit, it would have been nice, to put in funny or drama style cut scenes, that broke apart from all that driving

More immersion by the way of auto drive, start your route, get 50% there, then a cinematic cut scene plays out, game loads in the background ala Uncharted, then just as you get near, you take control
Don't over do it, but it would have been awesome if the did it like during the observatory part of dumping that body, as you start making your decent down the hill, cinematic kicks in, on 2 of them singing, Vito mumbling/agitated, you just enjoy the feeling, of being there with them, but no, you have to concentrate on the driving and god forbid you hit a car and a cop sees you lol

Another thing, too many fucking cops, just like GTAIV. Damn! Liberty City & Empire Bay must be rolling in those virtual taxes to keep a police force like a military state

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
GraveRobberX said:
Another thing, too many fucking cops, just like GTAIV. Damn!
Don't think I agree. Both games had an okay amount for keeping you on your toes. If anything, I'd say Mafia 2 could have had about 10% more cops.

Well, or alternatively, distribute the watchdog role among more characters. There's the gangsters in Mafia 2, obviously, and they're really fucking vicious if you're in the wrong part of town. It would have been okay if the occasional clerk or bartender also had a gun; same goes for workers.

I want cheats! For example, a freeride mode where everyone hates you and is armed. A freeride mode without cops. And so on.

Well, there's a startup flag to enable the game's console and dev mode and you can set stuff up there, haven't dabbled with that yet. http://www.4cheaters.de/pc/cheats/mafia-2-24483 Doesn't actually work (also, I didn't look at the date there, whoops)

sweetvar26 said:

Good luck.

That is what I did, after getting completely frustrated with that shit!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It pissed me off having to redo that shootout before the warehouse fight people are having trouble with. I got into the warehouse (on hard) and died almost immediately. There really should be a checkpoint between the two shootouts.

Should beat this today. If this were released a few years ago, it would be a AAA game. It's certainly better than GTA4 in terms of plot, missions, and characters.

Sadly, it really lacks in a few departments. Nothing major, but enough to make it feel a little shallow. No shooting from cars, nothing to really do in the world, but I guess at the same time since there aren't a bunch of bars around I don't have to do endless side missions of taking my bros out to play darts.

I dunno how to get some of the achievements though. Like the one where you have to drive 125 MPH. I guess maybe I haven't found the fastest car.

Dunno how to get the 30 car achievement either. Is that simply stealing 30 different cars, or do I have to find 30 different types/models of cars?

What about the gas ticket achievement? Just go to the rich part of town and find a faster car maybe?

I have yet to find a single Wanted posted either.

Anyway, with all that said, there's not much in the game that could justify the ridiculously long development time. There's a few trailers on YouTube from 3 years ago that have FMV for scenarios that are in the game, but the FMV isn't actually in the game.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Generally speaking, faster cars appear later in the game. Not just in the later decade section, but specifically from chapter 11 onwards.

Well, or at least their frequency of occurence is higher.

Edit: There's one that looks like a coupé Mercedes, that's a good car. And there's a closed coupé one with fins, that car seems to appear first as a forced vehicle in the chapter "Stairway to Heaven".

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
I dunno how to get some of the achievements though. Like the one where you have to drive 125 MPH. I guess maybe I haven't found the fastest car.
The convertible that you can use to take a certain person to the train station can be upgraded and can hit 125 pretty easily on the largest bridge.

Dunno how to get the 30 car achievement either. Is that simply stealing 30 different cars, or do I have to find 30 different types/models of cars?
30 different types of cars. There is slightly more than that in the game so you don't have to drive every single one.

What about the gas ticket achievement? Just go to the rich part of town and find a faster car maybe?
Get a car you are comfortable with, do the 5 closest to the starting area, then do one more on the other island.

I have yet to find a single Wanted posted either.
Same here, you pretty much have to use a guide.

Anyway, with all that said, there's not much in the game that could justify the ridiculously long development time. There's a few trailers on YouTube from 3 years ago that have FMV for scenarios that are in the game, but the FMV isn't actually in the game.
It's an incredibly ornate world. They just happen to under utilize it with the missions. They could easily do a couple of five hour mission pack DLCs without having to make any new areas.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Stallion Free said:
Get a car you are comfortable with, do the 5 closest to the starting area, then do one more on the other island.
Pretty much. I did this one with the speed limiter active, had like 1/8th of time left.

GraveRobberX said:
Well I just platinumed it, came under 20 hours of playtime by 3 minutes lol

Story was fun, but the way the game was segmented was horrible

8 hours of pointless driving, 4 hours of real action, the rest 8 hours looking for the collectibles

I understand the take me here or meet me here aspect of the game, but Holy Shit, it would have been nice, to put in funny or drama style cut scenes, that broke apart from all that driving

More immersion by the way of auto drive, start your route, get 50% there, then a cinematic cut scene plays out, game loads in the background ala Uncharted, then just as you get near, you take control
Don't over do it, but it would have been awesome if the did it like during the observatory part of dumping that body, as you start making your decent down the hill, cinematic kicks in, on 2 of them singing, Vito mumbling/agitated, you just enjoy the feeling, of being there with them, but no, you have to concentrate on the driving and god forbid you hit a car and a cop sees you lol

Another thing, too many fucking cops, just like GTAIV. Damn! Liberty City & Empire Bay must be rolling in those virtual taxes to keep a police force like a military state

Jesus you must have platinum disease or something...that's like your 49th one :lol

Playing on PC right now, chapter 8. Love the story and immersion and not bothering too much with the (somewhat stale) gameplay. I can understand the complaints that the story is not original and hits a low in the third act, but hey for what it does, it does GOOD.

So I am about to start Chapter 10 and the driving is starting to get to me. I wanted an action game, not a 1950's driving sim. Someone tell me this gets better!

BenThereGamer said:
So I am about to start Chapter 10 and the driving is starting to get to me. I wanted an action game, not a 1950's driving sim. Someone tell me this gets better!

Sorry to crush your hope but no. I mean there is more action towards end but driving is also there.

Top Bottom