• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

icechai

Das-J said:
I'll be interested to see what you all think about this, quite possibly the biggest change presented in the Beta:

Updated Character Customization

Any chance we'll see other types of weapons? Like more close range options (pistol/smg/auto shotty)? Or change our knife look and sound to crazy stuff like crowbar or wrench (which could damage vehicles or something crazy) :p

Varth- The updates with the EXP bonuses really shine now for newer players like yourself as you get to see all the different maps/weapons/players so much faster than when MAG was rushed out the door... heck, before we could only respec maybe 5 times per 60 levels... x_x

Telemachus- thanks for trying in those Acquisition games, I had at least 5 chances but never landed the final blow, felt so good when one rocket finally took the thing out, medals popped up right away without the game ending :D Was a bit shocked for a bit then went back to playing. Finally its time to respec out of that dreadded machine gun. Will sign on after dinner.

Click

Banned
icechai said:
...crazy stuff like crowbar or wrench (which could damage vehicles or something crazy) :p

I wish the repair gun in MAG damaged vehicles like it does in BF:BC2.
But I suppose vehicles already get blown up fast enough right now.

icechai

Click said:

true but just imagine how epic it would be to parachute down to the top of someone's apc and then proceed to hack away at it until it explodes? hehe

fixuis

Okay scratch what I said earlier das-j. You're first priority should be to fix the hang ups in this game, which seem to have improved after the latest update. Goddamn. Six hangups in the last ten tries. And these two on a brand new slim 250 gig. There goes my happy hour bonus xp. After this then get a digital copy on psn :D

Anton668

I guess I should start playing this again now that I got me internet back.

having more char slots will be nice for sure so I can have them all under 1 profile!

X-Frame

Apparently the Beta is going to be limited in the amount of people that can log in .. is that true?

So if I come home from work and am late for the designated beta time, I am forced into the regular universe I think.

Well if you can't beat em, join em.

I started using a commando loadout, the knife perks, the motion sensor, the LW armor, whole nine yards. Shit works man, shit works. :\

darkwing

X-Frame said:
Apparently the Beta is going to be limited in the amount of people that can log in .. is that true?

So if I come home from work and am late for the designated beta time, I am forced into the regular universe I think.
wait, what? :(

Click

Banned
X-Frame said:

Yup, it's true. Zipper doesn't want the regular MAG servers to die because everyone will be playing the beta instead. People have been QQ'ing on the official forums about this decision.

They're also getting a lot of heat for their decision to change their original Clan Wars concept, allowing 1 clan to battle another clan, to their Clan Deploy idea of grouping clan together in regular queues. A lot of the hardcore players and clans are angry about this because they want a way to determine which clans are better than each other and which clan is the "best." This feature has been a tease to clans since June and now that details are starting to come out about what Clan Deploy really is, a lot of people are pissed that Zipper is not giving hardcore players exactly what we want. Zipper's Game Director shouldn't have said anything about this in the most recent podcast, but he did and was too truthful about it.

X-Frame

Click said:
Yup, it's true. Zipper doesn't want the regular MAG servers to die because everyone will be playing the beta instead. People have been QQ'ing on the official forums about this decision.

They're also getting a lot of heat for their decision to change their original Clan Wars concept, allowing 1 clan to battle another clan, to their Clan Deploy idea of grouping clan together in regular queues. A lot of the hardcore players and clans are angry about this because they want a way to determine which clans are better than each other and which clan is the "best." This feature has been a tease to clans since June and now that details are starting to come out about what Clan Deploy really is, a lot of people are pissed that Zipper is not giving hardcore players exactly what we want. Zipper's Game Director shouldn't have said anything about this in the most recent podcast, but he did and was too truthful about it.
I'm assuming somewhere when they were designing the clan battles it was proving too difficult to implement or they simply changed their minds.

I can see why the MAG forumers are heated and also which is why it's such a risk to announce new features too early ahead of time - stuff like this can backfire.

Still, I never thought clan wars were a good idea. MAG is for big battles and if it was clan wars it'd just be the same dozen clans battling since there's not much players in huge clans anymore (could be wrong).

And Clan Deploy is cool but it should apply to Groups in general, not specific to clans unless the game will somehow prioritize games for large clans that queue on both sides as best as possible.

I'm excited for the new skill tree and Escalation though.

Das-J said:
They'll be able to play with everyone. I was originally on the fence regarding its use in the game, but I couldn't be happier with the implementation - It's super smooth and accurate!

I really look forward to this. With Socom4 moving to 2011 and Killzone 3 being 2011 as well, M.A.G. is now the first big Move FPS that people will get their hands on, and which will be tested out in a mixed online environment.

I'm really looking forward to seeing M.A.G. with Move in action in video form - I think partly not having been shown is the reason why it's talked about relatively little. I think with 3 weeks before Move launch, this would be a good time to show and get it out there. It takes a little time to get people's attention but you'd still be on time for the Move launch.

Bradach

Maastricht said:
I'm really looking forward to seeing M.A.G. with Move in action in video form
me too. I picked MAG up over the weekend because of Move support. i'm familiarising myself with the maps / weapons at the moment. it's a great game when you get on a decent squad.

XPE

Finally got to level 60 valour, and the second i got it dumped valour and went to sver.

So far i haven’t lost a game, my squad members not only do they heal me and the rest of the team but their 1st action in a game is not to try and vote out the squad leader!

And i finally found out what the blue and red contract awards were :lol

Click

Banned
This is the schedule of when people are allowed to play the beta...

zpr_DunhamSmash said:
Due to the huge number of requests for what the beta times are, I'm posting them below.

Note these are subject to change and start August 24 (if the PS Store updates in time, it's possible the first session would be skipped if the PS Store updates in the afternoon); Also, the beta runs Monday-Friday.

Session 1

* Hawaii: 5am-9am
* Alaska: 7am-11am
* Pacific: 8am-12pm
* Mountain: 9am-1pm
* Central: 10am-2pm
* Eastern: 11am-3pm
* GMT: 3pm-7pm

Session 2

* Hawaii: 1pm-5pm
* Alaska: 3pm-7pm
* Pacific: 4pm-8pm
* Mountain: 5pm-9pm
* Central: 6pm-10pm
* Eastern: 7pm-11pm
* GMT: 11pm-3am

Click said:

luckily I have no work in the next few weeks so I can join whenever the times are :p (sucks a bit though that it's separated by region and N/A on weekends)

but no restrictions of how many people can log into the beta at these times, right?

Also I'm not sure if it was clearly mentioned yet in this thread, but Das-J said in the Move thread that MAG will support Move at launch.

So will there be a (non-beta) patch in the week of the 15th September or is Move already integrated? If there is a patch, will it be 1.08 which includes also the stuff from the beta etc. for the retail game?

Click

Banned
X-Frame said:
I'm assuming somewhere when they were designing the clan battles it was proving too difficult to implement or they simply changed their minds.

I can see why the MAG forumers are heated and also which is why it's such a risk to announce new features too early ahead of time - stuff like this can backfire.

Still, I never thought clan wars were a good idea. MAG is for big battles and if it was clan wars it'd just be the same dozen clans battling since there's not much players in huge clans anymore (could be wrong).

And Clan Deploy is cool but it should apply to Groups in general, not specific to clans unless the game will somehow prioritize games for large clans that queue on both sides as best as possible.

I'm excited for the new skill tree and Escalation though.

The vocal minority on the official forums crying about Zipper admitting they scrapped Clan Deploy are just egotistical kill-whores who needs to get their e-peen stroked daily. Like I said, none of this QQ'ing would've happened if Seth Luisi, Zipper's Game Director, never mentioned Clan Wars at all in their latest podcast. He opened his mouth, so now some of the retarded fanboys are threatening to quit the game. They're even making a superclan to destroy all the newbs and n00bs playing the beta, just to make a point...

I would've personally liked to see Clan Wars implemented because it would have been a good way for the top clans to settle scores and compete with each other without other clans or shitty players involved. However, I completely understand why they decided to change it to Clan Deploy instead.

Zipper's excuse of being afraid people wouldn't play the normal game modes, causing MAG to die, is pure bullshit. Clan Wars wouldn't have killed MAG because the top clans don't want to battle each other CONSTANTLY. We just want to do it once in a while to shut each other up. It's not like we'll always be using Clan Wars and ignore the regular game modes. Plus, like you said, there is only a handful of "elite clans" in MAG, so it's not like we'll make THAT much difference anyway.

Clan Deploy will be a cool feature to have. I got a taste of it a few weeks ago when 3 really good Valor clans fought my clan and another top SVER clan in a random Sabotage game. It was extremely intense and fun to play. Why? Because the game wasn't ruined by shitty players with no clue how to play the game. Most of the players in that 1 game were very skilled and it made for an awesome game as a result.

I don't know exactly how Clan Deploy will work. Hopefully it won't let shitty players make their own 1-man clan and allow them to queue up with legit clans. There should be a minimum requirement of at least 3 clan members in order to queue up in Clan Deploy. The only thing I worry about is whether or not there will be enough players / clans using this feature to make it work...

XPE said:
Finally got to level 60 valour, and the second i got it dumped valour and went to sver.

So far i haven’t lost a game, my squad members not only do they heal me and the rest of the team but their 1st action in a game is not to try and vote out the squad leader!

And i finally found out what the blue and red contract awards were :lol

Welcome to SVER, aka "easy mode."

Our maps aren't broken, we've got the shittiest weapons, our damage bar in Domination is completely fucked up, and our blue dots generally doesn't suck (at least not as bad as Valor's and Raven's blue dots). Oh, and our hockey masks deflect bullets! Enjoy your time here.

Click

Banned
SolidusDave said:
but no restrictions of how many people can log into the beta at these times, right?

I believe there will also be a restriction to how many players are allowed to be in the beta as well. Not sure if they gave any detailed number on the restriction though...

Varth

Click said:
They're even making a superclan to destroy all the newbs and n00bs playing the beta, just to make a point...

This has to be the single most pathetic thing I ever heard on teh intarwebs.

Click

Banned
Varth said:
This has to be the single most pathetic thing I ever heard on teh intarwebs.

I agree.

These are the same retarded players my clan has to deal with on a daily basis, both in-game and on the forums. All they do is talk shit on the forums, troll the forums all day, and proclaim how awesome they are in MAG.

patsu

You guys.... I never saw any of you playing anymore. :p

When I'm free at work, I'm still on every week day late evening.

J-Rzez

Click said:
They're even making a superclan to destroy all the newbs and n00bs playing the beta, just to make a point...

I'll remain a free agent just to give those people a reality check. On a side note, I don't think there was ever a single person that I remembered their name that were monsters and tough to kill. Never got killed repeatedly by the same person. I look at that as a good thing about this game.

Can't wait to try out the beta action before I go on vacation.

Das-J

Law of the West
Click said:

There's loads of little surprises in the next patch...

AndyD

aka andydumi
J-Rzez said:
I'll remain a free agent just to give those people a reality check. On a side note, I don't think there was ever a single person that I remembered their name that were monsters and tough to kill. Never got killed repeatedly by the same person. I look at that as a good thing about this game.

Can't wait to try out the beta action before I go on vacation.

Is there a clan of friendly players/gaffers? I hate the description of that clan, but just jumping in I was hoping for some people I know or can rely on.

That said, it came in yesterday, so I think I will start this game straight in the beta. :lol From Pre release beta to post release beta of a patch.

AndyD said:
Is there a clan of friendly players/gaffers? I hate the description of that clan, but just jumping in I was hoping for some people I know or can rely on.

That said, it came in yesterday, so I think I will start this game straight in the beta. :lol From Pre release beta to post release beta of a patch.
It'll probably take you a while to fully patch the retail game. There's several hundred MB of patches and map updates you need, so I'd do that first.

The GAF clan on SVER (and I think the other factions as well) is pretty much dead, but there are still a few of us who play regularly, send me a friend invite (PSN: TelemachusD) and I'll try to play with you some. I'm on SVER by the way; in MAG you can only play with other people on your faction, the other two are always your enemies. The Beta and forthcoming patch will let you make characters on the other factions though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TelemachusD said:
It'll probably take you a while to fully patch the retail game. There's several hundred MB of patches and map updates you need, so I'd do that first.

The GAF clan on SVER (and I think the other factions as well) is pretty much dead, but there are still a few of us who play regularly, send me a friend invite (PSN: TelemachusD) and I'll try to play with you some. I'm on SVER by the way; in MAG you can only play with other people on your faction, the other two are always your enemies. The Beta and forthcoming patch will let you make characters on the other factions though.

I was in the original MAG beta and played Sver, so I will probably start off on Sver on retail too. Lots of fun. Ill send you an invite after I am patched up and read to go.

X-Frame

Beta is live.

I had to search for it though .. I didn't even check if it was up on the New Releases. Can't waste time. Lol.

fixuis

You need to search for mag beta. But wow, how slow is this download, first the beta file from the US store for 33 megs no problem, but the beta has a 908 mb update and currently it's done like 3 mb in 10 mins, crazy. At this rate the beta will be over before I can even download this damn thing. Slow for everyone apparently. It just sits there for minutes with no progress. Calling Das-J!

X-Frame

Das-J said:
Yeah sorry, as always downloads are totally out of our hands... especially when there is a high demand!

It's actually not bad. I'm at 37%.

I remember the beta updates last summer/fall which took a lot longer. Though maybe I just got on early enough before more people start flooding it.

fixuis

Yeah it was way too slow. I tried restarting but it didn't help. Stopped it for now. Will grab later when the load isn't so bad. Downloading shank 2 gigs at the moment which is going blistering fast right now, so thats good. Should be done in about 20 mins.

Top Bottom