• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

GrayFoxPL

Das-J said:
There are a couple of different control schemes to choose from so hopefully you'll find one that suits your needs!

It just brakes down on that stupid L3. I don't have the strenght to push it anymore due to muscle distrophy. 99% of fps since 2003 (or something) use it for eihter sprint or crouch. Makes me insane.

Anyway, I'm an old school Socom player. I remember those day really well and I've waited many years for Zippers next game. I really want to get into MAG for that reason. Socoms were my first and most amazing online experience. We have a saying in Poland: "Old love doesn't rust." :)

So maybe this way: How important is sprinting in the game? Can I do well without it or it will make no sense? Can someone experiment for a round without sprinting and say how it went if they don't mind?

Btw. In socom day we had developed an universal lingo like:
Green up - G^ (push ready on lobby)
Force - 4ce (s1 make host force start of the game)
M14 noob!
Bullet sponge!

Is there anything like that developing in MAG? ;D

BTW I think old Socom players own a people who never played a Zipper game a warning:
Technical issuses?
Wierd/crazy/insane bugs?
Lack of balance? (In socoms players universaly enforced a rule that noone uses granade launchers or RPG's)
Everything seems like it's gonna fall apart any second?

Well, that's a Zipper game for you. Socoms were the same, but as insane as it seems - it's part of the charm! :lol You know that everything is wrong, but you keep playing because it's that fucking fun!

Hyped myself up! Can't wait to play the game!

Click

Banned
oneHeero said:
Yea that sucked. I just stared at our busted up bunker for like 10mins.

This glitch was in the beta too.

On a few rare occasions, you'll be stuck at the overhead view screen, just before you're about to spawn but with no respawn countdown timer or anything on your HUD. Happened to me a few times during beta in Domination. Not sure what causes it but the only solution is to quit the game and rejoin (go to clan or friend's list and use Join Game).

haldalish said:
anyone else have their game get really choppy in domination

It wasn't just choppy, EVERYONE was skipping around the screen for the entire 30 minute Domination match. Out of the 12 or so Domination games I played today, this happen twice. Domination games are either fine or they are terrible lag-fests.

I really hope Zipper will fix these glitches and bugs. It seems like most of the problems occur during Domination matches. Guess I can't blame them, seeing as how no FPS game has ever done what MAG is doing. We're in unexplored territory here, folks.

Click

Banned
commish said:
Just played some more with sir click, loving the game even more. I'm loving this game in a way I just couldn't love MW2. It's kinda nice not having the opposing team summon helicopters, gunships and nukes. Call me crazy. I wish the game had mw2 weapons tho ;)

Yeah, I loved MW2 for like a month and a half.
But after playing just the beta of MAG, with limited maps, I couldn't go back to MW2.

theBishop said:
It wasn't him using it. He was on Raven, but in a different squad. I think it was SVER that was bombarding us with constant strafing attacks. I'm curious how it's possible, and why it's not drastically toned down.

The OIC probably told every squad / platoon leader to use their bombardments one after another, then the OIC used the skill to refresh everyone's skills so they could do it all over again. And no, the OIC's refresh skill does not refresh after using it. You gotta wait like 5 minutes (I think) to use any and all OIC skills, no matter what.

The situation you described usually happens during the last stage of Domination matches when everyone is gathered around the center of the map.

This strategy works best when the OIC uses the map-wide UAV / radar prior to the bombardments, so the squad / platoon leaders can see where the enemies are located. The only break you'll get from the chaos is the cooldown each platoon has to share with each other.

J-Rzez said:
Fucking awesome when you get someone else competent playing with you in command. Click and I rained hell on them.

Yeah, it's nice to have me and you as the squad and platoon leaders (and other GAF'fers too). We can coordinate attacks and bombardments together much better this way.

Good games tonight everyone. See ya tomorrow.

Click

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Well, that's a Zipper game for you. Socoms were the same, but as insane as it seems - it's part of the charm! :lol You know that everything is wrong, but you keep playing because it's that fucking fun!

Yeah, SOCOM II was probably one of the most unstable, glitch-ridden, cheat-fest of a game I've ever played. But it was my first console online shooter and was so damn fun and addicting, I played for 8 or so months religiously.

MAG needs a good amount of polishing, but it's had a good launch so far, with very few glitches / bugs and minimal lag / rubberbanding. Like I said above though, when Domination starts lagged out, it's almost unplayable (but I still got an insane K/D ratio somehow, lol).

P.S. If that happens again, everyone should just quit out and re-queue.

J-Rzez

templeusox said:
Tweet tweet:

For some reason those who just love MW2 and the sort are having some issues learning and adjusting to the game. The lack of auto-aim is the number one culprit it seems after listening to these people complain they can't hit something. People do warm up to it though, getting used to that. Also, once you start getting deeper into character customization it becomes massively addicting figuring out how you're going to play. Then once you get a grasp on what's happening in the larger game, you're in love. This game conveys what I imagine a battlefield would be like, how it's depicted in proper war movies. The amount of players in one spot is amazing, and you feel like part of something much-much larger. Not to mention the strafing runs, artillery, helo/lalo/apc spawning, and everything else happening.

Easily my most favorite shooter this gen, nothing comes close to it for me. Sure there's some obnoxious people, but you have that anywhere and can't blame Zipper or the game on that. There's many out there that'll help you out. Best way for me to sum it up is, CS with way more increased depth/scope with a touch of SOCOM. That's not a bad thing in the least.

peetfeet

Thank you Shopto! My standard edition just arrived....... Oh wait... they sent me the Collectors Edition by mistake! Bonus!

god........this game is so awesome and addicting!!!!! Had a great time playing with Das-j, Corran, Poly and Gekko. some good teamwork going on in those matches.

I did experience this one glitch where my controls got reversed the min i got revived. only happened once though. other than that, the game has been running smooth for me.

Raven FTW

sun-drop

paid off my preorder today for the mic+game pack.... dude behind the counter mentioned something like "gee another one.." sounds like it's selling pretty well.

dazed808

peetfeet said:
Thank you Shopto! My standard edition just arrived....... Oh wait... they sent me the Collectors Edition by mistake! Bonus!

Looks like someone at Shopto was half-asleep yesterday afternoon when packing as I've got a collectors edition too:D

BeeDog

For those who have gotten the CE from ShopTo, could you please tell if it's an UK-only disc, or if it's an Euro-language disc? Also, any non-UK-accounter that has redeemed the PSN voucher in the CE yet? Does it work?

jorma

is now taking requests
Well one annoying bug that remains from the beta is that sometimes you get left behind when everyone else in a group is joining a game. :X

peetfeet

BeeDog said:
For those who have gotten the CE from ShopTo, could you please tell if it's an UK-only disc, or if it's an Euro-language disc? Also, any non-UK-accounter that has redeemed the PSN voucher in the CE yet? Does it work?

I have no idea how to tell, but it says in small writing 'for sale only in europe, the middle east, africa, india and oceania. so I'm guessing multi language. I'm in work so can't play til later.

wizdom

Neo Member
I watched Jeff from Giantbomb play the game yesterday and it actually looked more appealing then I thought it would be, I still can't see myself paying 60 for a online only game though, maybe I will get it when the price drops.

uraldix

I was playing last night with the SVER group and my game froze right after one of the matches. Anyone else have this happen? It has only happened once and I think it may be my PS3 acting up since my mic stopped working as well (mic problem was definately PS3 related).

Edit: Also, I'd just to say that some of you SVER guys are beasts. It was fun tagging along for a couple matches.

icechai

Corran Horn said:

thanks for the vids, it looks like they improved a LOT since first beta. think I'll be picking this one up sometime soon :p

Lan_97

I am pretty bad at this game (and FPS in general) yet I still managed to play all night. I also kept getting disconnects until turning off media servers in network settings.

To me the beauty of the game is you don't have to have a mic, all you have to do is listen to the frago's if you have a good squad leader. Now if you want to be an effective team mate and help in fire fights then yes a mic is essential. Overall its a great game.

I have a question regarding Veteran mode:

First time you enter Veteran, you get +10% XP, meaning you earn 110% XP after the rounds end.

But, when you enter the Veteran mode for the 2nd time (say, SVER -> Raven -> Valor), do you get additional 10% on top of the already bonus XP (for a total of 121%) or not?

Liberty4all

Banned
So some jumbled thoughts from playing with Raven GAF last night ... first off bagelbeard, me and a few guys all thought you did a fantastic job as squad lead. Just saying.

Secondly being squad leader on aquisition is freaking hard with alot of moving objectives. I found I had to constantly change the frago's with repairs of gates and roadblocks (defending) being a major priority.

Overall I'm having a good time. While I too am also one of those folks that feels Sver has a signifigant advantage on their maps (particularly on Sabatoge and Aquisition), I'm really enjoying the challenge of learning those maps inside and out, to hit Sver where it really hurts.

More thoughts -- squad play is king in this game (in my opinion playing with a dedicated group is what elevates the game from great to awesome), very glad I linked up with Raven GAF. Very nice to play a console FPS where tactical choices the squad makes as a whole actually has a signifgant advantage on whether one side can win or lose.

More thoughts --- hatehatehate defending Point C on Raven's Sabatoge -- I think that too many people crowd the top by the control panel. I've found the only times Raven has won that map is by controlling the area outside the control point ... setting up a perimeter around the base of the tower.

Other thoughts -- When attacking Sver control points, poison grenades are your best friend.

Everyone needs to get a med kit and resuscitation. In my opinion this is the single greatest and most important skill in the game. Teams with lots of medics win matches, teams with no or very few medics lose matches. The full rez skill is even more extremely powerful ... well worth the 9 skill pts you'll have to invest to get full tech in this tree.

<3 my LMG. I pray to god it's not nerfed. I'm one point away from unlocking the medium machine gun, I can't wait to see what sort of damage it can inflict.

Cornbread78

I was playing last night with the SVER group and my game froze right after one of the matches. Anyone else have this happen? It has only happened once and I think it may be my PS3 acting up since my mic stopped working as well (mic problem was definately PS3 related).

Careful, that is what started all my PS3 issues.... Sony wants $178 to fix. Did you shut it off using the front button, or did you back switch it?

Liberty4all

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
I would hope not everyone goes all medic crazy, there seems to be lack of repair in many matches when it could come in very handy.

I'm not really saying that everyone needs to go full balls to the wall medic, but I do think everyone should have the medic kit equiped for on the fly rez's. There is nothing else as powerful in the game as bringing back an ally at 50 percent (or even better 100 percent) health.

I suppose specialized builds might preclude use of the med kit but I personally try to ensure I have a med gun in every loadout I've got. Aside from helping the team tremendously, you'll also earn massive xp.

I also agree with you though that engee's are pretty important too. I saw a squad of Sver engineers going to town .... they brought back up their AA batteries in under 5 seconds. Equiping both med kit and engineer kit gets expensive though weight wise

uraldix

Cornbread78 said:
Careful, that is what started all my PS3 issues.... Sony wants $178 to fix. Did you shut it off using the front button, or did you back switch it?

PS button out of the game and then I shut it down using the front button.

Cornbread78

Originally Posted by Cornbread78:

PS button out of the game and then I shut it down using the front button.

If you were able to get to the XMB menu then it is most likely a server connectivity issue. If your sys. starts totally freezing and you have to hold down the front button that is where there are bigger issues.

Cornbread78 said:
Sorry back to the game, just helpin' a brotha out.

So has anyone found exploits to attack the tough SVER maps yet?

yeah work as a team :D

btw, I think I've had the worst experience to start this game lol. I've played two matches so far no one was using a mic and the three that were were just bsing the whole time, and I couldn't get into a SVER GAF match because they were full. lol

perhaps better luck tonight? Still love the game though

uraldix

Cornbread78 said:

Thanks for the info.

I am on SVER and I only lost one Sabo defense due to the team just being bad. Even then, we held for a long time. There are a couple of ways that I would attack B that I haven't seen anyone really try (a coordinated effort anyway) but I'll leave that for the Valor/Raven folks to figure out. :D

Liberty4all

Banned
Cornbread78 said:

On the Sver Sabotage map I've found the easiest way to get at Point A is to wrap around to the right. Just before you go under the bridge there is are stairs to the right ... take stairs then hard right, followed by immediate left, use the warehouse for cover and you'll come out just behind Point A, perfect for a poison gas or frag grenade toss. Added advantage that alot of Sver run from their spawn, snipers and LMG can cut off reinforcements from this position.

Point B on that map I've found a coordinated rush from the top right, (group frag or poison gas throws before going in) can collapse Sver resistance. Usually the best time to cap point B is right at the start of the match before Sver gets totally entrenched.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Corran Horn said:

Thanks for the vids, Corran. I'm enjoying watching myself die from another vantage point :lol I can't believe, with all the things going on, that the game doesn't slow down or chug along (very often).

Shurs

I finally acquired the ability to resuscitate teammates just before I decided to pack it in last night. I got into one game last night where the squad leader was outright refusing to give any guidance in spite of the vocal squad members imploring him to set an objective. Aside from that, I've had a wonderful time with the game so far, in spite of my lack of skill in first person shooters. With the ability to heal my fallen comrades, gaining XP will be much easier and I should be able to play with the GAF SVER clan in the "big boy" games soon. I'm really looking forward to it.

"I cant feel my legs..."

ZAP!!!

"Rub some dirt on it!!"

This game, is, amazing. I have no idea when, if ever, Ill pop MW2 back in my PS3..

oh btw...SVER RULES!!

Nothing feels better then killing Ravens in there tight leather suits. Seriously makes me think "SPROCKETS!"
And Valor...man you guys would be less likely to get mowed down if you maybe invested in some sleeves lol.

All kidding aside look out for the LMG SVER warrior named PKM muahaha

After playing again last night, I think i'm finally starting to get a hang of this game...my fave loadout is the so-called "Paladin"

AR w/ grip+scope
Medkit w/ revive
Heavy Armor
Frags

medkits are almost mandatory for all but the most specialized loadouts...

and to all the RavenGaf on last night, sorry i didn't join...i kept trying to join your games but i guess they were already full....

Fixed1979

Liberty4all

Banned
Jesse Jane said:
i still don't understand this whol SVER imbalance thing.

It's not hard to understand. Sver maps are much easier to defend due to their faction having far superior map layouts. The way I understand it, Sver weapons were supposed to be low tech compared to the other two factions, and this was compensated for by better map layouts.

I've tried out all three factions and the weapon differences are minimal. I had heard that early on in the beta Sver weaponry was much less powerful than the other two factions but this was changed.

*shrug*

It's not a big deal to me but it definately frustrates alot of other people.

Drame

The Giant Bombs MAG Quick looks have made me quite interested in the game.

As I haven't played competive first person shooter since Battlefield 2, just how easy is it to get into MAG?

Actually won a few games as Raven last night! I was shocked, don't see that too often...

Sorry I didn't accept invite, accidentally mashed decline twice and you can't join a squad. Game was full.

Enjoying the game, good job, Zipper!

Top Bottom