• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

Box wasn't great, think I got the £135 I spent back but not really on the rares I really want to play with. Mythics were Progenitus, Sword of Light and Shadow, Jugan and Keiga. There really aren't that many junk rares which is good (except Auriok Salvagers??). Also got some of the uncommons you always want like Kitchen Finks, Path to Exile, Electrolyze, Lightning Helix etc.
Foils were bad except Oona
Would foolish roll the dice if I get another chance lol
Salvagers got bumped to rare because of limited play. Probably should have been Auriok Champion though.

OnPoint

I think I'm going to switch to Tezzeret for the invitational due to the Legend Rule change. Tezz is incredible at blowing out PW mirrors.

Just splurged and bought a foil one on eBay. I wonder if his price is going to jump soon, though that will probably be determined through continued success.

Is it just me, or does Cathar's Crusade seem pretty good for Standard? There's a lot of cards in the last couple sets that revolve around having +1/+1 counters. I don't follow tournaments or anything, so I don't know what's going on competitively.

imageyeukz.jpg
exava-rakdos-blood-wi89y0i.jpg

image80zxs.jpg
image2ay1n.jpg

image5jbjm.jpg
imagea4ajt.jpg

What do you think? Worth building a deck around, or does it cost too much? I've never built a standard deck outside of drafting.

ultron87

Sadly 5 mana is a lot for an enchantment that does nothing on it's own unless you have more creature in hand and have creatures on the board already.

What about Vorel in general? He seems like he'd be pretty good with some of my older cards like Tumble Magnet or Sandstone Needle, and I have two of him from drafts.
Sadly 5 mana is a lot for an enchantment that does nothing on it's own unless you have more creature in hand and have creatures on the board already.

Is there a cheaper card that does the same thing but only puts the counter on the creature being played?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63055231]What about Vorel in general? He seems like he'd be pretty good with some of my older cards like Tumble Magnet or Sandstone Needle, and I have two of him from drafts.

Is there a cheaper card that does the same thing but only puts the counter on the creature being played?[/QUOTE]

Image.ashx

That's about as close as you'll get really? Honestly if you want to put counters on dudes, the best way to do it is:

Image.ashx

An-Det

Now that DOTP is up for preorder, how long until we can get the promos? I'm expecting stores to quickly run out of Scavenging Oozes so I want to make sure I'm there day 1.

I hope not. I've never bothered to redeem the DOTP promos before since they've all been shitty cards, but I definitely want a free Scavenging Ooze.

JulianImp

Okay, I already bought a copy of Duels 2014 for myself and another one for my cousin! I'm really looking forward to playing with him and teaching him the ropes, and I wish it'd release before the 21st because I'll be visiting him on that weekend.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63187456]So what's the deal with Unflinching Courage? WOTC think more people should be using Armadillo Cloak or what?[/QUOTE]

Apparently they don't like the flavor of Armadillo Cloak anymore so they reprinted it with the most generic name possible. Also making it actually give Lifelink does change the functionality a bit since you can't stack the lifegain effect or put it on an opponent's creature to cancel out their attacks.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";63187456]So what's the deal with Unflinching Courage? WOTC think more people should be using Armadillo Cloak or what?[/QUOTE]
Armadillo Cloak uses the old triggered Lifelink. They had Cloak in the set until it was pointed out.

Are there any cards that give Annihilator to creatures other than Eldrazi Conscription? Undercity Plague is pretty close.

I wish they just had Rise of the Eldrazi every year instead of core sets :-(

Armadillo Cloak uses the old triggered Lifelink. They had Cloak in the set until it was pointed out.

Armadillo Cloak stacks with Unflinching Courage though, right? That's the problem I have. It seems like there's no reason to take out half your Cloaks for Courages if you're using them.

rCIZZLE

Mutavault in M14 as basically everybody expected. Now if Thoughtseize gets spoiled then I'll be guaranteed drafting M14 every week at my LGS.

y2dvd

Drafted MM the other night. They had to open another box. The person directly left and right of me both open Dark Confidant at the same time. I open some $4.99 rare. fml -_-

I tied for first, drafting WR Giants and steamrolling to the finals. Face a UW affinity deck who was able to cycle his artifacts from the graveyard constantly and stall long enough for us to go 1-1 and draw our third game due to time.

As fun as it has been to draft for MM, it just cost too much for me to go on further.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Fetchlands. Believe.

The entire 10-land fetchland cycle? Nah. It would be better to reprint the allied fetches in a future core set and the Zendikar fetches in MM2.

I think they'll reprint the Filterlands in Theros since they were not in MM.

OnPoint

The entire 10-land fetchland cycle? Nah. It would be better to reprint the allied fetches in a future core set and the Zendikar fetches in MM2.

Dear God I hope you're wrong.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I'm pretty sure MaRo is on the record saying that they are now firm believers in having 10 land cycles in their expansion blocks and moving duals out of core sets.

kirblar

They can't afford to wait on fetches due to accessibility issues in Modern.

I'm pretty sure MaRo is on the record saying that they are now firm believers in having 10 land cycles in their expansion blocks and moving duals out of core sets.
Everyone on R&D has said the same thing about it. Core sets is just a logical progression.

Top Bottom