• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The only problem with that deck is, its dead to gruul aggro/RDW/naya blitz/bant hex...I just tried it out and got blown out by naya blitz.

Maybe on the nut draw with blitz. No freaking way on RDW or Bant Hex. Blitz can get in and end things on turn 3 with the perfect draw, turn 4 pretty consistent. But Bant needs a bit more than that and by time it's set up, you're gaining enough life to offset any loss from even the most stacked stalker.

EDIT: Voice stalls aggro out just fine. The Naya version that runs Rampager will probably win most of the time.

Exokell

Banned
It has too many 4 to 5 cmc cards, too slow. You lose on turn 4 with standard right now.

Edit: problem is all of the aggro decks run rampager, Bant hex can kill you on turn 4 also, I dont know if gaze of granite can help this deck with bant hex. But this deck feels like a sitting duck on turns 1 to 3.

WanderingWind

It has too many 4 to 5 cmc cards, too slow. You lose on turn 4 with standard right now.

Nah. You really, really don't against every deck not named Naya Blitz. Which is great, but pretty fragile. And again, Voice slows that down well enough to create issues, so does Centaur Healer and Selesnya Charm. Blitz is definitely the counter to this deck, but it's not on the level that you're thinking.

Exokell

Banned
Nah. You really, really don't against every deck not named Naya Blitz. Which is great, but pretty fragile. And again, Voice slows that down well enough to create issues, so does Centaur Healer and Selesnya Charm. Blitz is definitely the counter to this deck, but it's not on the level that you're thinking.
I just dont like a deck that runs farseek and VoR when your engine(Trostani) and other powerful cards cmc is 4 and up.

WanderingWind

I just dont like a deck that runs farseek and VoR when your engine(Trostani) and other powerful cards cmc is 4 and up.

Normally, I'm with you. All I play is super aggressive, recursion filled hate decks. This thing just isn't going to go down against any Naya Blitz list I've seen real easy.

But let's talk standard Tier 1 decks.

Aristocrats (Junk/Act 2)
Esper Control
Naya Blitz
Junk Reanimator
America

Anything else I'm missing? Is Jund still in the mix there?

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Normally, I'm with you. All I play is super aggressive, recursion filled hate decks. This thing just isn't going to go down against any Naya Blitz list I've seen real easy.

But let's talk standard Tier 1 decks.

Aristocrats (Junk/Act 2)
Esper Control
Naya Blitz
Junk Reanimator
America

Anything else I'm missing? Is Jund still in the mix there?

List is wrong:

Tier 1:
Aristocrats Act 2
UWR Flash
RG Aggro
Naya Midrange
Junk Reanimator
Jund Midrange
Bant Hexproof

Tier 2:
Junk Aristocrats
Naya Blitz
4-Color Reanimator
UWR Midrange

Tier 3:
Esper Control
BG Midrange
Bant Flash
Mono Red
Primespeaker Bant
WBR Midrange
Junk Tokens

Tier 4:
Everything else

Esper Control is like almost unplayable this format.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
I can't even begin to stress how much I disagree with your assement of Blitz. It's possibly the best deck in Standard. It's absolutely not Tier 2. It's far, far better than RG Aggo, that's for dang sure. Hell, the top 8 deck lists from the most recent standard tourneys all have Esper Control too.

SCG this weekend - http://sales.starcitygames.com//dec...date=2013-06-09&start=1&finish=16&event_ID=19

Esper has been incredibly inconsistent since Dragon's Maze came out, that is the first SCG top 8 for it in weeks if not months. Would also like to note that the skill level of a SCG Open is slightly better than FNM level minus the pros that occasionally show up. Voice of Resurgence is a big problem for that deck. It is by no means a bad deck, the format is just too hostile for it.

Naya Blitz would be Tier 1 if the format wasn't so metagame dependant. One tournament could be filled with Junk Reanimator and Control, making it ripe for the picking for Naya Blitz. The next tourney could be filled with Jund and Naya, making Naya Blitz not so good.

Negator said:
Mono Red tier three? I think not!
Same as Esper, not a bad deck, but there are much better aggro decks (There is no reason to not play more than one color this format unless you're on a budget) than it and there are too many midrange decks in the format.

Edit: RG Aggro is essentially just mono red splashing green for Ghor-Clan Rampager and Flinthoof Boar.

Crocodile

Eric Phillips vs Ari Lax (Finals of GP Providence Team Limited)

-Phillips has a Blood Baron of Vizkopa against Lax's near mono dude-Boros deck.
-Ari has no cards that interact with the Barron. Has a bunch of dudes out.
-Ari adds a Riot Piker and Skinbrand Goblin to the board
-Phillips attacks...........

"Really? Did this just happen?" = Ari Lax

Of course, Phillips puts Holy Mantle on his Zarchi Tiger and eventualy draws an Obzedat's Aid which makes this all moot but it was hilarious to watch. Obviously a function of playing Magic for so many hours that your brain gets fried but again hilarious.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Eric Phillips vs Ari Lax (Finals of GP Providence Team Limited)

-Phillips has a Blood Baron of Vizkopa against Lax's near mono dude-Boros deck.
-Ari has no cards that interact with the Barron. Has a bunch of dudes out.
-Ari adds a Riot Piker and Skinbrand Goblin to the board
-Phillips attacks...........

"Really? Did this just happen?" = Ari Lax

Of course, Phillips puts Holy Mantle on his Zarchi Tiger and eventualy draws an Obzedat's Aid which makes this all moot but it was hilarious to watch. Obviously a function of playing Magic for so many hours that your brain gets fried but again hilarious.

Yea that was hilarious. "Did that just happen?"

WanderingWind

Esper has been incredibly inconsistent since Dragon's Maze came out, that is the first SCG top 8 for it in weeks if not months. Would also like to note that the skill level of a SCG Open is slightly better than FNM level minus the pros that occasionally show up. Voice of Resurgence is a big problem for that deck. It is by no means a bad deck, the format is just too hostile for it.

Naya Blitz would be Tier 1 if the format wasn't so metagame dependant. One tournament could be filled with Junk Reanimator and Control, making it ripe for the picking for Naya Blitz. The next tourney could be filled with Jund and Naya, making Naya Blitz not so good.

Same as Esper, not a bad deck, but there are much better aggro decks (There is no reason to not play more than one color this format unless you're on a budget) than it and there are too many midrange decks in the format.

Edit: RG Aggro is essentially just mono red splashing green for Ghor-Clan Rampager and Flinthoof Boar.

Eh, disagree pretty much wholesale. And we have to use the tourneys that exist to judge what's what. When decks are showing up on pro lists, PTQs and major SCG events with pros, the deck is good. Esper Control and Naya Blitz have constantly been in the top 8. Not sure what other metric you can use besides what's consistently top 8ing. And the fact that the meta shifts means those decks are all in the mix. You can't call reanimator tier 1, then say Blitz picks it off cleanly, but then that deck is worse. There clearly isn't a definitive top deck right now, which is awesome, so I think your play style and preferences have a huge impact on what you view as better.

Hey guys, I need a clarification if this EDH play that I did was legal.

order of turns: Krenko (me), Chainer, Rafiq, Molimo

It was Chainer's turn and he casts Beacon of Unrest targeting Necrotic Ooze while Phyrexian Devourer and Triskelion is in his yard. I cast Reverberate to copy his Beacon of Unrest targeting the same Necrotic Ooze.

Q1: Was the play correct in which his Beacon fizzles out without shuffling back into his library and I get to put Necrotic Ooze in my control?

The game went on with the above scenario and Rafiq casts Rapid Hybridization on the Ooze before the turn ends, as a fast effect I pumped Ooze with the devourer ability and spit using Triskelion's ability to kill Rafiq.

Q2: Does his destroy spell fizzle out since I was able to kill Rafiq player in response to his spell?

Game went on with me pumping up Ooze and kill spitting Molimo and lastly dealing lethal combat damage to Chainer with a few cards left in my library.

OnPoint

Eh, disagree pretty much wholesale. And we have to use the tourneys that exist to judge what's what. When decks are showing up on pro lists, PTQs and major SCG events with pros, the deck is good. Esper Control and Naya Blitz have constantly been in the top 8. Not sure what other metric you can use besides what's consistently top 8ing. And the fact that the meta shifts means those decks are all in the mix. You can't call reanimator tier 1, then say Blitz picks it off cleanly, but then that deck is worse. There clearly isn't a definitive top deck right now, which is awesome, so I think your play style and preferences have a huge impact on what you view as better.

To quote Patrick Chapin's article today:

"Voice of Resurgence has been legal for six weeks now. In that time, it has singlehandedly elevated Naya Aggro not only to tier 1 but to the undisputed top spot in the format."

An-Det

Hey guys, I need a clarification if this EDH play that I did was legal.

order of turns: Krenko (me), Chainer, Rafiq, Molimo

It was Chainer's turn and he casts Beacon of Unrest targeting Necrotic Ooze while Phyrexian Devourer and Triskelion is in his yard. I cast Reverberate to copy his Beacon of Unrest targeting the same Necrotic Ooze.

Q1: Was the play correct in which his Beacon fizzles out without shuffling back into his library and I get to put Necrotic Ooze in my control?

The game went on with the above scenario and Rafiq casts Rapid Hybridization on the Ooze before the turn ends, as a fast effect I pumped Ooze with the devourer ability and spit using Triskelion's ability to kill Rafiq.

Q2: Does his destroy spell fizzle out since I was able to kill Rafiq player in response to his spell?

Game went on with me pumping up Ooze and kill spitting Molimo and lastly dealing lethal combat damage to Chainer with a few cards left in my library.

Q1: yes, this is correct. Since yours resolves first, his has no legal target and is countered, so it's not shuffled back.

Q2: It depends on the house rules and how you guys play. Usually anything from a defeated player is removed, but it would really depend on the group for final say.

Takuan

Went to a sealed tournament on release night, was too packed at the store so we dropped immediately and went to my place to open and play.

My pulls fucking sucked:
1x Spell Snare
1x Murderous Redcap
1x Meloku
1x Meloku (Foil)
1x Yosei
1x Pyromancer's Swath
1x Angel's Grace
1x City of Brass
1x Tooth and Nail

Hoping my box is better.

Q1: yes, this is correct. Since yours resolves first, his has no legal target and is countered, so it's not shuffled back.

Q2: It depends on the house rules and how you guys play. Usually anything from a defeated player is removed, but it would really depend on the group for final say.

Thanks, there wasn't any judge present during the match. We did agree among all the present players about the spell fizzling out when the caster dies before resolution. I did get a lot of hate though, since that was the 2nd EDH pod that I won (previously using Jarad) getting $4 worth of store credits.

Thanks, there wasn't any judge present during the match. We did agree among all the present players about the spell fizzling out when the caster dies before resolution. I did get a lot of hate though, since that was the 2nd EDH pod that I won (previously using Jarad) getting $4 worth of store credits.

$4?

Our LGS has a "seasonal EDH League". For $1.50 you get to join a pod, each pod consists of 4 people and you get points depending on what you do in a certain game. 2points for the last man standing, 2 points for being the player that deals the most combat damage (to discourage combo wins). You do get point deductions for winning with a 2 card combo (mikaeus+triskelion).

After each season, our LGS gives out prizes. Last "season" you were able to use the points to bid on a piece of Commander's Arsenal when they auctioned it off.

This season, for each point you get in a pod translates to $1 store credit.

WanderingWind

To quote Patrick Chapin's article today:

"Voice of Resurgence has been legal for six weeks now. In that time, it has singlehandedly elevated Naya Aggro not only to tier 1 but to the undisputed top spot in the format."

And 3 weeks ago, everybody was saying Aristocrats. Last week it was some variant of Reanimator.

The format is kinda awesome right now and it begins and ends with manabases. I love that everybody isn't playing the same 2 decks

I just wish Voice wasn't so damn expensive on MTGO. Fortunately it's not a huge staple in Modern, but it's going to be one more blocker to me eventually assembling a Pod deck (which I've been eyeing ever since I got into the format).

kirblar

And 3 weeks ago, everybody was saying Aristocrats. Last week it was some variant of Reanimator.

The format is kinda awesome right now and it begins and ends with manabases. I love that everybody isn't playing the same 2 decks
If you like aggro or aggro/combo decks that beat aggro, sure.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
I kind of prefer stagnant formats. Metagaming tournaments takes some skill but if the there are too many viable decks in a format, it eventually just dwindle downs to variance and luck. Of course the better player will always beat a lesser skilled one, I won't dismiss that. Due to small sample size, you may not go up against a deck that you prepared for within those 8-9 rounds. At least in the abundance (and droning) of Cawblade and Delver decks, the better player always won the mirror. I think Kibler said something about him enjoying the Cawblade format because he had like a 70% winrate in the mirror which is absurd. Those formats rewarded playing tight and having technical skill, which is why a lot of pro players enjoyed playing those decks.

I will say I've had more success playing UW Delver last year. Since RtR came out, I've finished 9th and lower too many times at cash tournaments. Though a lot of those tourneys was me being stubborn and trying to play a blue deck when I shouldn't of.

kirblar

I want to play Tezzeret in Legacy. Problem is that I don't have the time to learn the matchups. Deathblade is easy - it's just a stock U/B deck splashing white.

JulianImp

I just logged back in to MODO after quite a while, and I found that I don't have any standard deck I can use, but I do have five tickets and an unopened M13 booster pack in my collection.

I might want to try out some budget block decks (to prepare for the upcoming standard), so how do you think I should go about to get the most bang for my buck? I've spotted a few card bots that sell cards in bulk (ie: 20 rares, 40 uncommons or 200 commons for a single ticket), but they're often lacking in variety and obviously don't have anything that isn't a bulk rare or OK uncommon at best. Should I open the M13 booster or try selling it for some tickets?

I'm not sure what I'd like to use in the coming standard, but I know that I won't be able to afford the cards I actually have in paper (stuff such as shocklands, Aetherling and a few other above-average rares and/or mythics), so that's kind of a problem; if I'm only building a budget deck using guildgates, then I'll probably stick to playing for-fun matches, which won't be that useful in the long run, as I probably won't have enough tickets to build an OK deck and buy into some tourneys or whatever.

So... what do you guys think I should do? Should I sit on the tickets for now, or just put one or two down to build a casual FNM-level deck and have some fun with it?

y2dvd

I kind of prefer stagnant formats. Metagaming tournaments takes some skill but if the there are too many viable decks in a format, it eventually just dwindle downs to variance and luck. Of course the better player will always beat a lesser skilled one, I won't dismiss that. Due to small sample size, you may not go up against a deck that you prepared for within those 8-9 rounds. At least in the abundance (and droning) of Cawblade and Delver decks, the better player always won the mirror. I think Kibler said something about him enjoying the Cawblade format because he had like a 70% winrate in the mirror which is absurd. Those formats rewarded playing tight and having technical skill, which is why a lot of pro players enjoyed playing those decks.

I will say I've had more success playing UW Delver last year. Since RtR came out, I've finished 9th and lower too many times at cash tournaments. Though a lot of those tourneys was me being stubborn and trying to play a blue deck when I shouldn't of.

This is odd to me. I celebrate anything were the top results are diverse. I don't know if you played SF Alpha 2, but Chun-Li was so broke, the top 8 of some japanese tourny was all picks of her. Sure, it takes some skills to play a mirror match, but it just showed how broke of a mechanic she can be. Seeing many viable decks just shows the game is fairly balanced. It's great to have options. It forces you to learn multiple matchups instead of piloting a broken deck to defeat any lesser decks and worrying only about mirrored matches. How is the latter more skillful?

f0rk

Got my box of Modern Masters, don't know whether I should open it now or wait a month or two when I'm near people I can draft with.

This is odd to me. I celebrate anything were the top results are diverse. I don't know if you played SF Alpha 2, but Chun-Li was so broke, the top 8 of some japanese tourny was all picks of her. Sure, it takes some skills to play a mirror match, but it just showed how broke of a mechanic she can be. Seeing many viable decks just shows the game is fairly balanced. It's great to have options. It forces you to learn multiple matchups instead of piloting a broken deck to defeat any lesser decks and worrying only about mirrored matches. How is the latter more skillful?

Having lots of 'viable' decks isn't necessarily balanced if all the matchups are 60-40.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member

Rose was also very good in A2 (Chun Li wasn't too far ahead of her).

Anyways, the only "broken" decks that everybody played was Affinity and UB Faeries (To an extent). Cawblade and Delver weren't as degenerate as those decks.

Diverse formats would be fine if every deck is 50/50 against each other, but that's usually never the case. It turns into a RPS format to a degree, ie. So ignoring variance...you bring your aggro deck to a tournament because you think it's going to be 50% control. Midrange ends up being popular and you go up against like 5 midrange decks out of the 8 rounds you play.

If the format was stagnant (The best deck does not have to be degenerate, just good; Delver), you would go into a tournament expecting mirror matches (which is perceived as boring) and see if you are better at piloting the deck than your competition. The analogy here would be having SF4 Ryu mirrors in a tournament. Boring to watch, skilltesting to play.

WanderingWind

Does anyone here trade? I'm looking for a Time Warp, a Dragon Broodmother and 3 Brainstorm (the ones from the Izzet v. Golgari deck) as well as some random stuff. I have a trade thread on MTGS.

I have the Brainstorms. Can't access your trade thread without an account, but I'll look at it after work. I love the "trading" part of this TCG

rCIZZLE

Now that DOTP is up for preorder, how long until we can get the promos? I'm expecting stores to quickly run out of Scavenging Oozes so I want to make sure I'm there day 1.

f0rk

I'm not going to sell it, leaving it unopened is to draft it but that won't be for a while.
I think I might just open it, fuck it.

f0rk

I just bought a flat I need to open it to get the 3 goyfs out that are clearly in here so I can sell them and not be poor

"Three Easy Steps to a Successful Modern Masters Draft:"
FUCK YOU WIZARDS I'M GOING IN

f0rk

Box wasn't great, think I got the £135 I spent back but not really on the rares I really want to play with. Mythics were Progenitus, Sword of Light and Shadow, Jugan and Keiga. There really aren't that many junk rares which is good (except Auriok Salvagers??). Also got some of the uncommons you always want like Kitchen Finks, Path to Exile, Electrolyze, Lightning Helix etc.
Foils were bad except Oona
Would foolish roll the dice if I get another chance lol

Top Bottom