• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Noteworthy pulls for me after a draft, and winning a few packs! Life from the Loam, Spell Snare, 2 Kitchen Finks (1 foil!), Figure of Desitny, Path to Exile, Doubling Season & Aether Vial.

Lucario

Truth. And while I understand them not really wanting to put it back into standard, they could slam it into a Commander set or something and get it out there.

Edit: Also, Voice is 60 now? These prices are getting ridiculous. Mythics were a terrible idea.

Voice is really easy to get for $40-45 on ebay, as it's a large set rare that's likely to fall

1: Once the first wave of redemptions ship out (very small dip though)
2: Post-rotation, assuming manabases are weakened at that point. Shocks+checks make 3-4 color strategies dominant, and green and white are extremely powerful in Standard right now. Nearly every deck running both colors should be running 4x voice -- it's very strong in this meta. This causes short-term supply issues, leading to a $60 price seeming somewhat reasonable considering it's a small-set mythic.

If theros is monocolor focused (or simply has a weak set of duals,) VoR will remain expensive, but correct itself to a $35-40 SCG price.

Negator

Bought a $10 pack of Modern Masters from LGS and got a Kokusho.

Fuck this game!

Edit: Wait, is this actually worth something? wut

Won FNM with Black/Red aggro. Spike Jester is legit nuts. Took down Grixis Control, B/R aggro, Jund twice, and Junk Aristocrats. Wonder if I can get a set of this foily Izzet Charm.

An-Det

Truth. And while I understand them not really wanting to put it back into standard, they could slam it into a Commander set or something and get it out there.

Edit: Also, Voice is 60 now? These prices are getting ridiculous. Mythics were a terrible idea.

I haven't paid attention to it's prices, so when someone told me 60 on Thursday I snap-replied "bullshit". I couldn't believe it. Playables in Standard should never be that high (or be mythic at all).

kirblar

kirblar you made the SCG premium newsletter lol
Reid Duke isn't impressed with your pick though
Yeah, LSV is like the only person who always drafts "correctly" - i.e., you always moneydraft in an 8 man barring a larger event like a GP or PTQ top 8.)

Mythics are great (because they make manabases much more affordable.) But Voice's GY trigger was a huge mistake.

Did a midnight modern masters draft after FNM yesterday. Probably the only MM draft I'll ever do, so I made the most of it.

People were talking some heavy smack about not being able to draft storm. This fellow drafted 2 grinning ignus's, a manamorphose, a desperate ritual, a grapeshot, and an empty the warrens. I through it in an affinity shell. So stormfinity. I made 10 goblins in 4 out of 8 games that I played. Also managed sneak attacks with Greater Gargodon. Only lost to a dude who drafted a Clique and a Fire and Ice...

Ignus was the real storm enabler though. I knew ahead of time, but the other stuff was almost unnecessary.

Also, how many elspeth emblems are floating around? Between my friends and I, we opened 0 in 8 boxes. Then I drafted and there were 2 in the same box...

ultron87

Is the one constant in Magic that everyone had an Elf deck at some point? Played with a friend today who just had their old decks and their first play was Forest, mana elf followed by Gaeas Cradle. Always fun when I just had a random casual standard deck I'd made for another friend who is learning.

Hey everyone, I've been out of constructed tournament Magic for a while. I'm thinking about building my first Modern deck, and I could use some input from people who are more experienced with the format. Here's my current list (built for post-M14, when Scavenging Ooze becomes legal):

4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Noble Hierarch
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Aven Mindcensor
4 Scavenging Ooze
2 Darkblast
2 Sun Titan
4 Voice of Resurgence
3 Kitchen Finks
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Dark Confidant

1 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp
6 Fetchland
7 Shockland
2 Tectonic Edge or Ghost Quarter
3 Stirring Wildwood
1 Treetop Village
1 Sejiri Steppe

Thanks in advance!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Who in GAF clan has voices i can use on modo?

I dream of having Voices to play with. Alas.

Woot! Came in second at my PTQ!

Hell ya! Congrats. What deck?

Hey everyone, I've been out of constructed tournament Magic for a while. I'm thinking about building my first Modern deck, and I could use some input from people who are more experienced with the format. Here's my current list (built for post-M14, when Scavenging Ooze becomes legal):

4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Noble Hierarch
4 Aven Mindcensor
4 Scavenging Ooze
2 Darkblast
2 Sun Titan
4 Voice of Resurgence
3 Kitchen Finks
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Dark Confidant

1 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp
6 Fetchland
7 Shockland
3 Stirring Wildwood
1 Treetop Village
1 Sejiri Steppe

Thanks in advance!

I love the creature selection, not sure about the mana being so spread out, especially with so few fetches to make Knight a win con. Other than that, looks super awesome

Azn_Boy

Neo Member

4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Noble Hierarch
4 Aven Mindcensor
4 Scavenging Ooze
2 Darkblast
2 Sun Titan
4 Voice of Resurgence
3 Kitchen Finks
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Dark Confidant

1 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp
6 Fetchland
7 Shockland
3 Stirring Wildwood
1 Treetop Village
1 Sejiri Steppe

Thanks in advance!

I would make a lot of changes to this list. This deck doesn't know if it wants to be Junk (Rock) or Junk (Jund) if you know what I mean. The first thing to decide is if you want to play a Junk deck with Bobs or not, that decision will drastically decide how you would build your deck because right now this is list is a mess.

I would make a lot of changes to this list. This deck doesn't know if it wants to be Junk (Rock) or Junk (Jund) if you know what I mean. The first thing to decide is if you want to play a Junk deck with Bobs or not, that decision will drastically decide how you would build your deck because right now this is list is a mess.

I actually don't know what you mean :( I just built this from scratch, with the intent of running interference to screw with peoples' attempts to set up (Mindcensor, Shaman, Tec Edge, Darkblast, Decay, and Ooze) while pounding on them with large value creatures (Knight, Voice, and Ooze). Sun Titan is there to put the nail in the coffin, being able to regrow either the biggest threat or a Tec Edge/Ghost Quarter to lock someone out.

If you could give me some examples of Jund strategies vs Rock strategies (as far as how their game plans differ; not necessarily deck lists), that might help me figure out what you mean. And thanks for the reply.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
I actually don't know what you mean :( I just built this from scratch, with the intent of running interference to screw with peoples' combo plans and graveyard interactions (Mindcensor, Shaman, and Ooze) while pounding on them with large value creatures (Knight, Voice, and Ooze).

If you could give me some examples of Jund strategies vs Rock strategies (as far as how their game plans differ; not necessarily lists), that might help me figure out what you mean. And thanks for the reply.

Rock - Midrange creatures, Loxodon Smiter, Obstinate Baloth, Wilt-Leaf Liege, Quasali Pridemage, Linvala, Baneslayer, DRS, Voice, Gaddock Teeg, Lingering Souls, Paths, etc.

Junk deck in the mold of Jund would be similar, but you just don't have the red. You'd need Goyfs, Lilianas, and Thoughtseizes though.

Darkblast in your list seems out of place and Sun Titan isn't too great with Bob. Your list also needs Lingering Souls and Path to Exiles. You also want to cut down on shocklands (Like cut down to 4) and up the fetchland count up to at least 8-10. You don't want to be shocking yourself too much in Modern because of Affinity and Gruul. You also don't want to go down to 18 life against Scapeshift too often.

Rock - Midrange creatures, Loxodon Smiter, Obstinate Baloth, Wilt-Leaf Liege, Quasali Pridemage, Linvala, Baneslayer, DRS, Voice, Gaddock Teeg, Lingering Souls, Paths, etc.

Junk deck in the mold of Jund would be similar, but you just don't have the red. You'd need Goyfs, Lilianas, and Thoughtseizes though.

Darkblast in your list seems out of place and Sun Titan isn't too great with Bob. Your list also needs Lingering Souls and Path to Exiles. You also want to cut down on shocklands (Like cut down to 4) and up the fetchland count up to at least 8-10. You don't want to be shocking yourself too much in Modern because of Affinity and Gruul. You also don't want to go down to 18 life against Scapeshift too often.

Darkblast is probably not as good as Path to Exile, especially since I already have Abrupt Decay to efficiently deal with opposing Bobs (I didn't have it in my original list). That seems like an easy switch.

I also agree that Sun Titan hurts if Bob reveals it, but I wanted some way to break midgames wide open if they get that long. Maybe there's a better choice for that. Or maybe I just give in and play Liliana in that slot.

I don't really understand Lingering Souls, though. It seems like a waste of a turn (or two).

As for Goyf, I think Scavenging Ooze is an acceptable substitute, since it usually wins wars with opposing Goyfs and can potentially get much bigger, while simultaneously hosing any strategy that tries to use the graveyard and gaining back life that's been lost to Bobs and lands.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Darkblast is probably not as good as Path to Exile, especially since I already have Abrupt Decay to efficiently deal with opposing Bobs (I didn't have it in my original list). That seems like an easy switch.

I also agree that Sun Titan hurts if Bob reveals it, but I wanted some way to break midgames wide open if they get that long. Maybe there's a better choice for that. Or maybe I just give in and play Liliana in that slot.

I don't really understand Lingering Souls, though. It seems like a waste of a turn (or two).

As for Goyf, I think Scavenging Ooze is an acceptable substitute, since it usually wins wars with opposing Goyfs and can potentially get much bigger, while simultaneously hosing any strategy that tries to use the graveyard and gaining back life that's been lost to Bobs and lands.

Lingering Souls:

+ Gives you chump blockers against aggro
+ A card to pitch if you or the opponent has Liliana
+ Makes opponent's Liliana's -2 very underwhelming, may force to +1 or don't do anything instead if they play around Smiter/Baloth.
+ Insanely good against Vendilion Clique
+ Lets you put pressure against control without needing to overextend.

The card is just very versatile. It's only really bad against Thundermaw but very few Jund and UWR decks play that card.

WanderingWind

NAYA BLITZ TOOK IT.

I don't know why I was ever against taking advice from people who have teams to test with and who play the game for a living. Winning feels much better than coming up with some clever brew that goes .500.

Anybody want to trade some Aristocrats on MTGO?

Crocodile

Story from an RTR block draft earlier today:

Mulliganed to six on the draw.
Kept a one land hand.
Thought the land in my hand was a gate. In reality it was a Transguild Promenande.
Missed my first two land drops...........

Won the game and match #LIKEABOSS :p

MTG you so cray cray.

kirblar

NAYA BLITZ TOOK IT.

I don't know why I was ever against taking advice from people who have teams to test with and who play the game for a living. Winning feels much better than coming up with some clever brew that goes .500.

Anybody want to trade some Aristocrats on MTGO?
Took what?

Kept a one land hand.
Thought the land in my hand was a gate. In reality it was a Transguild Promenande.

MTG you so cray cray.
My Modern comeback vs Harry Corvese was Guile Theme material.

Kept a one land hand.

MTG you so cray cray.

#neverscoop

alternade

I dream of having Voices to play with. Alas.

Hell ya! Congrats. What deck?

USA control. It got kind of dicey at times because I sacrificed more counters for burn instead. Overall I was happy with the deck and with how I piloted it. It's pretty much rotation ready too which is nice.

An-Det

I've got the Providence stream playing in the background, and it's doing the WOTC videos on design or PT's while we wait for the next round, and I noticed a friend of mine from college, Dan Emmons, talking. I had no idea he was on the DGM design team. We graduated together in 2010, him with an Electrical Engineering degree, and he said 'fuck this, I'm making Magic cards'. He had always dreamed of doing this, really glad he made it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Invited! Again! Stop jumping ships you cheeky bastard!

9000087246_65492d1baa_o.gif

First time I've been in, I don't even know how to leave a clan on this crazy interface.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Bought a single pack of MM and pulled a Gifts Ungiven:

Image.ashx

Fun. Don't know that I'll buy too many packs, given the price, though.

y2dvd

Got 2nd at a MM draft. Got blown out by a W/R Giants deck in the finals. He had too many answers and synergy. Dude pulled played that 2/1 that gets plus 1/plus 1 on T2, that one create that makes Giants 2 mana less to cast on T3, then played Cloudgoat Ranger for the next 2 turns. GG. :[

Below was my deck:

1xWar-Spike Changeling
1xArchbound Stinger
2xArchbound Worker
1xBrute Force
1xRift Bolt
1xRuned Stalactite
2xCourt Homunculus
2xVeteran Armorer
1xTest of Faith
1xTorrent of Stone
1xHammerheim Deadeye
1xAvian Changeling
1xMogg War Marshal
1xIvory Giant
1xSanctum Gargoyle
1xFiery Fall
1xEthersworn Canonist
1xRelic of Progenitus
1xShrapnel Blast
1xStringscourger
1xHillcomber Giant
1xGleam of Resistance
1xVivid Meadow
1xGlimmervoid
5xMountain
8xPlains

The rares I pulled were:
Ethersworn Canonist (Foil)-$9.99
Glimmervoid-$11.99
Knight of the Reliquary-$7.99

Guess I made my money back. Now I just gotta find someone willing to trade for them. MM draft was fun, especially since all these cards are new to me. I won a match with 1 life left which is about the greatest feeling in the world! Only got 2 packs, but I’m going to hold on to it until I find a place that’ll let me use it to draft with. Someone opened a Dark Confidant and another person pulled a Tarmogoyf. Makes me sad. Hope the packs I’m holding onto has both lol.

OnPoint

Had to install the beta client because the original wouldn't open on this laptop for some reason. No idea why.

No money for cards at the moment, unfortunately, but I am up and running on MODO finally.

Any other usernames out there, shout em out and I'll add you up.

Sinatar

Got to the finals of a 4 pack sealed with this, pretty solid deck but the guy in the finals just had a stone nutty u/r/w deck with all the answers to my stuff. Still Vitu-Ghazi guild mage + advent is just broken in limited.

Sinatar

Seems like everytime I've drafted I've lost to that damn guild mage. With Advent, I wonder if it's constructed playable

Trostani is better for constructed then Guild Mage for that effect. I was playing the G/W populate deck that kirblar was posting about a while back and was replacing the voices I was missing with guildmages and they worked quite well there.

WanderingWind

Trostani is better for constructed then Guild Mage for that effect. I was playing the G/W populate deck that kirblar was posting about a while back and was replacing the voices I was missing with guildmages and they worked quite well there.

You see that Trostani + Obzedat list? That shit is brutal. I can't even figure how to beat it, save the perfect draw of 2x instant speed removals.

Got 2nd at a MM draft. Got blown out by a W/R Giants deck in the finals. He had too many answers and synergy. Dude pulled played that 2/1 that gets plus 1/plus 1 on T2, that one create that makes Giants 2 mana less to cast on T3, then played Cloudgoat Ranger for the next 2 turns. GG. :[

I've screwed around with a bunch of practice drafts online, and I'm pretty sure WR Giants is the strongest deck in the format. GB Rock/Dredge seems really good too (if you have the Worm Harvest), and UG Suspend/Goodstuff also looks really good.

WanderingWind

Nope haven't seen that, got a link?

Looks like this, with Garruk, Beast Token Maker Who Also Draws Cards in place of Vraska, the Useless.The sideboard on this is all fucked up and there are some adjustments needed (Where the Restos at?) But this is the general idea.

http://www.mtgvault.com/poetmasterx/decks/council-of-voices/

Alchemist refuge/Verdict maybe?

I've heard of this happening, but I don't think I've ever seen anybody successfully pull it off...lol. Sounds good though

Sinatar

Looks like this, with Garruk, Beast Token Maker Who Also Draws Cards in place of Vraska, the Useless.The sideboard on this is all fucked up and there are some adjustments needed (Where the Restos at?) But this is the general idea.

http://www.mtgvault.com/poetmasterx/decks/council-of-voices/

I've heard of this happening, but I don't think I've ever seen anybody successfully pull it off...lol. Sounds good though

Interesting list, looks like the G/W deck I was talking about with some black splashed in for the obzedat and removal.

WanderingWind

I can say that unless you get the exact removal you need at the exact time, trying to combat a 9 point swing for zero spent resources after landing every round is very, very difficult. I got lucky once and pulled my own Obzedat, but shit, in a month even that won't mean jackshit.

Sinatar

I can say that unless you get the exact removal you need at the exact time, trying to combat a 9 point swing for zero spent resources after landing every round is very, very difficult. I got lucky once and pulled my own Obzedat, but shit, in a month even that won't mean jackshit.

Oh god the new legend rule....

Oh god.

y2dvd

I've screwed around with a bunch of practice drafts online, and I'm pretty sure WR Giants is the strongest deck in the format. GB Rock/Dredge seems really good too (if you have the Worm Harvest), and UG Suspend/Goodstuff also looks really good.

I'm not surprised. It curves out well and you have access to all the burn and control spells. I already know it's what I want to draft next time. Oh and the 2 Changeling creatures in WR means you'll more likely to have a giant on the field.

Exokell

Banned
The only problem with that deck is, its dead to gruul aggro/RDW/naya blitz/bant hex...I just tried it out and got blown out by naya blitz.

Top Bottom