• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Well since I don't see any mention of card value on this page: http://www.gpcharlotte.com/index.html, I don't really see how it is different than any Magic event ever that gives you some product for entering.

Except in those events everyone is receiving an item of equal value, receiving the same item, and everyone knows what they are receiving ahead of time.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/23679_Grand_Prix_Salt_Lake_City_Gold_Rush.html

No specific value of individual card values mentioned, but the overall total is. Also, they had a backup of if the packs were not given out in the main event, they'd be given to the winners of 8 man events. This changes the make up of both how they are given out and the investment necessary to get one.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Utah/

(2) (a) "Gambling" means risking anything of value for a return or risking anything of value upon the outcome of a contest, game, gaming scheme, or gaming device when the return or outcome:
(i) is based upon an element of chance; and (ii) is in accord with an agreement or understanding that someone will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome.
(b) "Gambling" includes a lotteryand fringe gambling.
(c) "Gambling" does not include:
(i) a lawful business transaction; or (ii) playing an amusement device that confers only an immediate and unrecorded right of replay not exchangeable for value.

(6) "Lottery" means any scheme for the disposal or distribution of property by chance among persons who have paid or promised to pay any valuable consideration for the chance of obtaining property, or portion of it, or for any share or any interest in property, upon any agreement, understanding, or expectation that it is to be distributed or disposed of by lot or chance, whether called a lottery, raffle, or gift enterprise, or by whatever name it is known.

Seems to me that it fits the bill.

bigkrev

Except in those events everyone is receiving an item of equal value, receiving the same item, and everyone knows what they are receiving ahead of time.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/23679_Grand_Prix_Salt_Lake_City_Gold_Rush.html

No specific value of individual card values mentioned, but the overall total is. Also, they had a backup of if the packs were not given out in the main event, they'd be given to the winners of 8 man events. This changes the make up of both how they are given out and the investment necessary to get one.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Utah/

(2) (a) "Gambling" means risking anything of value for a return or risking anything of value upon the outcome of a contest, game, gaming scheme, or gaming device when the return or outcome:
(i) is based upon an element of chance; and (ii) is in accord with an agreement or understanding that someone will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome.
(b) "Gambling" includes a lotteryand fringe gambling.
(c) "Gambling" does not include:
(i) a lawful business transaction; or (ii) playing an amusement device that confers only an immediate and unrecorded right of replay not exchangeable for value.

(6) "Lottery" means any scheme for the disposal or distribution of property by chance among persons who have paid or promised to pay any valuable consideration for the chance of obtaining property, or portion of it, or for any share or any interest in property, upon any agreement, understanding, or expectation that it is to be distributed or disposed of by lot or chance, whether called a lottery, raffle, or gift enterprise, or by whatever name it is known.

Seems to me that it fits the bill.

How is any of this different than an 8 man Win a Box?

Also, Mutavault was added to the Salvation spoiler for M14, with a global mod not providing proof but saying a source he trusted confirmed it. I wonder what it's value will be- 25 (Snapcaster) is probably the highest a large set Rare can get, but i don't think this goes higher than 10 bucks come mid August.

kirblar

How is any of this different than an 8 man Win a Box?

Also, Mutavault was added to the Salvation spoiler for M14, with a global mod not providing proof but saying a source he trusted confirmed it. I wonder what it's value will be- 25 (Snapcaster) is probably the highest a large set Rare can get, but i don't think this goes higher than 10 bucks come mid August.
It'll be like Cavern of Souls, essentially. Old version will dip some, but this will 100% have new art, to fit w/ Slivers.

ultron87

I put up the DOTP 2014 OT earlier: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595326

At the Dragon's Maze Prerelease everyone paid 30 dollars. I saw someone open an Obzedat and a Ral Zarek, easily making their money back and more. I did not open such value. That seems just as much of a lottery as the Gold Rush stuff.

bigkrev

They just announced on twitter that Registration will close Friday night for GP Vegas

I have a feeling there is going to be a ton of people who just decide to show up on a whim (in a travel city like Vegas this is more likely) that aren't going to know this. They should be emailing everyone with a DCI Number.

I would harm baby seals for MTGO on iPad. Just kick the lil fuckers

Oh god yes. This would be a culmination of many fantasies for me. In fact, I've seriously considered buying a touchscreen monitor many times just so I can touch MTGO. DotP is alright, but it doesn't scratch my deckbulder itch at ALL.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Oh god yes. This would be a culmination of many fantasies for me. In fact, I've seriously considered buying a touchscreen monitor many times just so I can touch MTGO. DotP is alright, but it doesn't scratch my deckbulder itch at ALL.

Maybe 2 dollar sealed decks will do it for you???

ultron87

Woah, they are charging two bucks for sealed in DotP? That is some straight up bullshit. What the fuck? Can I at least trade them to others or use them in decks I build?

You start with two slots that you can open a pool each for. You can't reset them. So after that you can buy more slots (and therefore new pools to build from) for 2 bucks a pop.

Their claimed reason for this is so you can't just constantly reroll your pool till you get something crazy, which seems like a legitimate balance reason since you can play them online, but as soon as they tied it to microtransactions it gets super gross.

OnPoint

It'll be like Cavern of Souls, essentially. Old version will dip some, but this will 100% have new art, to fit w/ Slivers.

I really want to believe the art won't change because the old one is generic enough as it is, but you're right, they'll most likely change it.

Still, can't wait to pick them up.

rCIZZLE

Didn't even know about the $2 slot thing for DOTP. They could have done a million different things to discourage rerolling decks but instead they went that way. Guess I'm just going to take a trip to a few stores, get my Scavenging Ooze playset, and play a couple sealed games before shelfing it forever.

noquarter

You start with two slots that you can open a pool each for. You can't reset them. So after that you can buy more slots (and therefore new pools to build from) for 2 bucks a pop.

Their claimed reason for this is so you can't just constantly reroll your pool till you get something crazy, which seems like a legitimate balance reason since you can play them online, but as soon as they tied it to microtransactions it gets super gross.
That's pretty lame. I can see the reason to have a restriction on pools in there, but that is a shitty way to do it. I was actually kind of excited for the sealed pools, thought it might be a cheap way to get a little better in a limited environment, but guess I will go back to blowing money on MTGO when I have too much money hanging around.

f0rk

What is it that makes UB Tezzeret good in Legacy and not Modern? Lack of Baleful Strix? Or Jace/FoW?

oh Sword of the Meek. I guess that combo is important

An-Det

What is it that makes UB Tezzeret good in Legacy and not Modern? Lack of Baleful Strix? Or Jace/FoW?

oh Sword of the Meek. I guess that combo is important

All of the above really. If it were missing one or two things it could adjust, but not having Jace, Force, Sword, Strix, Transmute Artifact, Ancient Tomb, and City of Traitors really guts the deck.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I may be late on this, but I was browsing through DGM randomly and

ayvg4v2m1s_EN.jpg

What the fuck?

It's in beta now. It's "discounted" at $20 much like mine craft was back in its prerelease days.

So far I like it. It really shouldn't be compared to mtg at all in terms of how matches play out. I enjoy the fact that "mana" is produced by discarding cards so you never have completely dead hands. Not that you can mulligan though. That's partially solved by allowing you to discard and draw 2 instead of discard for mana every turn.

The combat is forced in a way that every creature has a timer where they automatically attack and there is a grid. Makes for interesting plays spatially.

The only two things that are missing that I miss from mtg are instant speed spells (your plays will come out 100% the way you think they will in a given single turn since your opponent cannot respond) and the fact that right now it is very difficult to make a multicolored deck. The costs for every card are completely colored, so I'm interested in whether or not the devs are going to come up with a solution to make multicolored decks somewhat decent.

It also isn't pay 2 win, though you can pay real money for certain random cards every week.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I've been enjoying scrolls. It definitely needs more cards and multicoloured is a mess right now, but it's a solid foundation.

bigkrev

Whooo!

My LGS got enough product to run a second MM draft, for only 25 bucks, with MM pack prize support.

I am totally going deep with Dampen Thought.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, I've been putting together a Standard Selesnya deck and thought I'd run it past you guys for some feedback.

The deck can be found here, and the card list is:

2 Acidic Slime
2 Attended Knight
2 Avacyn's Pilgrim
2 Bond Beetle
1 Boundless Realms
1 Cathars' Crusade
1 Cloudshift
2 Commander's Authority
2 Elvish Visionary
2 Evolving Wilds
9 Forest
2 Griffin Protector
2 Grove of the Guardian
2 Intangible Virtue
1 Parallel Lives
8 Plains
2 Prey Upon
4 Roaring Primadox
1 Safe Passage
4 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Unflinching Courage
4 Wayfaring Temple
2 Yeva's Forcemage

SB: 2 Cathedral Sanctifier
SB: 2 Fiend Hunter
SB: 2 Angelic Wall
SB: 2 Bower Passage
SB: 2 Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 Plummet

A couple of notes:
  • It's meant for casual play against a friend with access to a similar 'level' of cards.
  • It's purposefully a budget deck, so there's no way I'm filling it with a handful of Voices.
  • If it seems weird that I've only put one or two of a particular card in the deck, it's because I only own that many. As long as they're cheap, I'd be happy to buy more.

Basically, I like the idea of the Roaring Primadoxes (alongside the Bond Beetles, Forcemages, etc...) acting as a sort of support group to the larger, token-powered creatures. Weaknesses seem to be speed and defense against flyers.

Thoughts?

ultron87

My initial concern looking at that is that the Roaring Primadox is a huge nonbo with with all those tokens, auras, and +1/+1 counters.

aidan

My initial concern looking at that is that the Roaring Primadox is a huge nonbo with with all those tokens, auras, and +1/+1 counters.

The Primadox can return itself to the players' hand if necessary, so, in playing the deck so far, I haven't ever had to return a countered/auraed creature to my hand. By the time the Primadox drops, I generally have a Visionary, Forcemage or Beetle out on the field.

ultron87

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm just always wary of giving my opponent's the chance of a 2 for 1 (or more) by killing the Primadox in response to its trigger and forcing you to return something you really don't want to return.

aidan

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm just always wary of giving my opponent's the chance of a 2 for 1 (or more) by killing the Primadox in response to its trigger and forcing you to return something you really don't want to return.

Ahh, I hadn't thought of that. They can kill the Primadox between its upkeep cost triggering and me deciding which creature to return?

aidan

Yeah, since its ability doesn't say "target" you don't pick what you are going to return until it resolves.

Gotcha. My friend and I are just getting back into the game after stopping around the Mirage block. It's been a lot of work to figure out the semantics of a lot of the new mechanics and how they behave in regards to the stack and just timing in general. Lots to learn. Thanks.

Top Bottom