• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

So I've never made a Standard deck from anything but random draft cards so I thought I'd give it a shot.

My idea right now is basically Scavenge/Undying + Korozda Gorgons and Cipher + Rogue's Passage. Any good?

4x Slitherhead
4x Treasured Find
4x Strangleroot Geist

3x Putrefy
4x Dreg Mangler

3x Demonlord of Ashmouth
3x Shimian Specter

4x Korozda Gorgon
2x Vraska the Unseen

2x Undercity Plague

8x Forest
8x Swamp
4x Woodland Cemetary
4x Rogue's Passage

I'm worried about the mana curve, though.

Outside of that, I'm also thinking about a Descendent's Path + Cavern of Souls Eldrazi deck. Anything I should look out for?

Looks like Vegas has been capped at 4500 people total, and they're capping online registers at 4400 (so at least 100 can join in-person). Just a high enough cap to beat the 4,364-person world record.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/06202013

From an L3 Judge who is active on Reddit:

ubernostrom said:
One-third of all Level 3 judges in the world are going to be on the staff for this event.

One-third of all the Level 4 judges are going to be on staff for this event.

Half of the Level 5 judges are on staff for this event.

Just shy of 40% of all L2+ judges in the United States are currently on staff for this event. So far as I can tell, every L2+ judge in the Southwest US region is now on staff for this event. There are L2s and L3s coming from Europe to Vegas, and believe me, that ain't cheap.

Grand Prix Las Vegas currently has over 150 judges staffed. And it's still not enough. As I write this, there are judges who weren't on the initial staff and weren't even on the emergency standby teams, who are booking last-minute flights and negotiating for places to stay for the weekend.

That's insane. This is going to be a hell of a GP.

Damn that looks like fun. Didn't know they were doing something like that.

If I placed in one of those things, first thing I'd do is go out and buy a booster box of Rise of the Eldrazi to draft with my friends.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
man they should almost split it into 4 tournaments and then 2 for day 2 and merge the 2 top 4's for the top 8, otherwise this thing will never get done.

bigkrev

Oh man, this is either going to be an enormous sucess or some kind of horrible diasaster

Horrible Disaster is most likely. If they hadn't capped it, it could have easily gotten over 5000 people. And there will be people who just show up the day of the event, thinking they can register, and told they can't. And those people are going to be pissed.

Pissed in a way that leads you to quitting the game.

There will still be plenty of side events, which will in all likelihood have better EV than the GP with that many people in it. It's inevitable that some people will have a bad experience. But I believe the event as a whole will still be a net positive.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Horrible Disaster is most likely. If they hadn't capped it, it could have easily gotten over 5000 people. And there will be people who just show up the day of the event, thinking they can register, and told they can't. And those people are going to be pissed.

That's probably stretching it a bit. You have to be some kind of special manchild to get upset that a venue is full.

On another note, WotC had a booth set up at the Warped Tour today. DotP was on display. Much more responsive. And tomorrow, the head of the event marketing crew is going to be there, so I'm going to hit him up with my business cards. See what happens.

bigkrev

That's probably stretching it a bit. You have to be some kind of special manchild to get upset that a venue is full.

On another note, WotC had a booth set up at the Warped Tour today. DotP was on display. Much more responsive. And tomorrow, the head of the event marketing crew is going to be there, so I'm going to hit him up with my business cards. See what happens.

The TO posted yesterday that he could accommodate up to 6000 players. So its not a full venue.

I had my deck stolen at a Grand Prix in 2003... it lead to me quitting magic for 4 years. If I had been super hyped about this event, but knew that flying standby was my only way to get to the event so I couldn't pre-register and didn't know about the change- i'd probably be a little more than pissed off.

And about side events being higher EV- your absolutely right. But at this point, no one is entering this GP for the EV- its absurdly low. You are entering to be part of the largest Magic tournament that will ever be held.

Lucario

But at this point, no one is entering this GP for the EV- its absurdly low. You are entering to be part of the largest Magic tournament that will ever be held.

The EV of a box is ~$300, making the EV of a pack around $12.5. While you'll absolutely never get that for your cards, it still beats any set in recent history in terms of value.

The EV of this GP is likely higher than any major tournament in history. That's why so many people are going.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm thinking about starting to play online. Any advise?

Go slowly to learn the eccentricities of the UI. It can be annoying at first but once you get used to it you won't be able to go back to manual magic.

Make sure you remember to buy food and pay your bills before you use up all your money drafting.

You are entering to be part of the largest Magic tournament that will ever be held.

I don't think this is true. It may be the biggest for a few years at the most, but if this trend continues, it's going to become the norm eventually.

I'm wondering if this is going to force WOTC to completely change the infrastructure of how Grand Prixs work.

Hero

Everyone, including Wizards and Pro players have been telling people to pre-register for the event for a while now. If someone was that delusional that they could just show up at the door and register for the event then they should reconsider how they approach the game.

kirblar

Everyone, including Wizards and Pro players have been telling people to pre-register for the event for a while now. If someone was that delusional that they could just show up at the door and register for the event then they should reconsider how they approach the game.
It reminds me of the "They'll never reprint *insert expensive legacy non-reserved card* here!" crowd.

imagebljz8.jpg

So does this still count as targeting a creature?

Haly

It does.

Pretend it's deathtouch except you have it when she's on your side of the field.

Crocodile

Has nobody here played with the card No Mercy (or Dread which is a riff of it)? It's the exact same principal.

Anyway, I just saw on Facebook that a friend who's flying out to Vegas tomorrow hasn't pre-registered for GP Vegas. LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL

kirblar

Has nobody here played with the card No Mercy (or Dread which is a riff of it)? It's the exact same principal.

Anyway, I just saw on Facebook that a friend who's flying out to Vegas tomorrow hasn't pre-registered for GP Vegas. LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL
Yeahhh......about that.

There's only one place by me that sells Modern Masters, and they charge like 13 bucks a pack. If I was gonna buy packs that much I'd buy Rise of the Eldrazi.

Hero

It reminds me of the "They'll never reprint *insert expensive legacy non-reserved card* here!" crowd.

Haha yeah. I'm so close to selling my fetchlands while they're pretty high right now. Too many signals about them being in Theros block and would make a killing on them. I regretted not selling a lot of the original shocklands I had while they were 40+.

Her ablity? It's not targeted. If they touch you, they're dead unless they're indestructible or can regenerate.

Btw GB- have you seen this? (Aaron Forsythe's Magic Cruise presentation) - it's what led to a lot of me re-evaluating my thoughts on game design. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwpr9wSLDbM

Will have to watch this. Who else is into game design? Would enjoy talking about that kind of stuff, although maybe outside this thread somewhere.

rCIZZLE

Haha yeah. I'm so close to selling my fetchlands while they're pretty high right now. Too many signals about them being in Theros block and would make a killing on them. I regretted not selling a lot of the original shocklands I had while they were 40+.

They've definitely not maxed out yet but I don't regret getting rid of my extras. The stuff I got are very safe staples (wasteland, karakas, etc) with the plus side of not having to wake up and see I lost a few hundred in value overnight.

They've definitely not maxed out yet but I don't regret getting rid of my extras. The stuff I got are very safe staples (wasteland, karakas, etc) with the plus side of not having to wake up and see I lost a few hundred in value overnight.

Neither Karakas nor Wasteland are on the Reserved List. Safe, yes, but still possible depending on the atmosphere at R&D re: Legacy.

I dunno.

Theros block appears to be all about deities. They just changed the legendary rule which they stated was the only thing keeping them from printing legendary lands again. There's a chance we see a Karakas reprint this block. Just sayin'.

I'm also just hopeful because I want to play Venser-Karakas in Modern.

kirblar

The MM price gouging by small stores makes them look really shitty when you realize how cheap they get those boxes.
Problem is that the EV of the packs > MSRP, even once the full spoiler came out. The print run wasn't large enough.

Karakas/Wasteland would need a MM-style Legacy set.

Wasteland is an extremely dangerous card to reprint and I do not expect Wizards to do so in a standard-legal environment ever again.

Wasteland is just a ridiculously format warping card. More so than any other card, Wasteland is what dictates whether or not an individual card or individual strategy in Legacy will work, and is the reason that blue-based tempo decks have consistently been the most successful and popular Legacy decks ever since people started really caring about the format. Heck, even Vintage has higher mana curves and cards than Legacy (due to the fast artifact mana).

What's everybody's favorite set in the history of Magic?

I've already mentioned it, but I'd be perfectly happy if they replaced the Core Set with Rise of the Eldrazi 2014. Annihilator AND Kor Spiritdancer? swoon

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";65372301]What's everybody's favorite set in the history of Magic?

I've already mentioned it, but I'd be perfectly happy if they replaced the Core Set with Rise of the Eldrazi 2014. Annihilator AND Kor Spiritdancer? swoon[/QUOTE]

Came in at Ice Age so it has a special place in my heart.

But I think my favorite set is probably Tempest.

Favorite block is Scars, though, I think.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Why is Karakas powerful?

Allows for lots of crazy shenanigans. Played in a 16 man last night and it bought my opponent half a dozen turns.

I kinda regret cancelling my GP Vegas plane ticket. It looks to be one hell of a weekend no matter what happens.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";65372301]What's everybody's favorite set in the history of Magic?

I've already mentioned it, but I'd be perfectly happy if they replaced the Core Set with Rise of the Eldrazi 2014. Annihilator AND Kor Spiritdancer? swoon[/QUOTE]

Mirrodin!

kirblar

I think the best set in the game's history is Return to Ravnica. I'm actually not sure what my favorite set is, though.

used in that mono white deck to exile permanents as well (can't think of the name of the deck)
Death and Taxes using Mangara of Corondor.

rCIZZLE

Neither Karakas nor Wasteland are on the Reserved List. Safe, yes, but still possible depending on the atmosphere at R&D re: Legacy.

Can't see either being reprinted unless it's very limited like the judge promos or FTV. Fetches, especially modern legal ones, could be spoiled at any time as a rare in a standard legal set.

Problem is that the EV of the packs > MSRP, even once the full spoiler came out. The print run wasn't large enough.

Karakas/Wasteland would need a MM-style Legacy set.

Not really a fan of shops thinking like that though. Even my local walmarts had $4 innistrad packs well after the shops raised them to 5 or 6. I was pretty bummed when one local store was expecting regulars to pay $250 per box of MM when we all know he got them for less than $100. MSRP should be the max they sell anything at around release.

f0rk

Not really a fan of shops thinking like that though. Even my local walmarts had $4 innistrad packs well after the shops raised them to 5 or 6. I was pretty bummed when one local store was expecting regulars to pay $250 per box of MM when we all know he got them for less than $100. MSRP should be the max they sell anything at around release.

I don't think it's fair to judge a store without seeing how their books look. These kind of things are partly designed for the shops to actually make money for a change

kirblar

Why do you say that, out of curiousity?
Good limited format aside from the monumental F-up that was Pack Rat.

Deepest set of rare/mythics ever in a set re: constructed viability, across multiple formats.

And just generally an incredibly well-designed set that made Gatecrash painful in comparison.

Haly

Gatecrash was sacrificed so Ravnica might shine. One could say its only flaw is being too good.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Good limited format aside from the monumental F-up that was Pack Rat.

Deepest set of rare/mythics ever in a set re: constructed viability, across multiple formats.

And just generally an incredibly well-designed set that made Gatecrash painful in comparison.

Thanks. My friend cracked a box of RtR, GC and DM boosters recently and loved the cards he pulled from RtR, but was sort of disappointed by GC and DM. I guess that's part of the reason why.

rCIZZLE

I don't think it's fair to judge a store without seeing how their books look. These kind of things are partly designed for the shops to actually make money for a change

They're already making plenty by selling at MSRP. Besides, of the 3 shops around here only one of them is renting. The other 2 exist for FNM and prereleases by people who "care about the community" yet ask 80+ for FTV and 250+ for MM.

Top Bottom