• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Favorite set...hm...I think I like the design on a lot of OG Ravnica cards the most, but I understand its been topped since then in terms of how the overall format played. I really liked Zendikar as well both in terms of mechanics and in terms of overall experience, so I might give that the edge.

kirblar

Thanks. My friend cracked a box of RtR, GC and DM boosters recently and loved the cards he pulled from RtR, but was sort of disappointed by GC and DM. I guess that's part of the reason why.
GC is a trainwreck- just get singles. DGM is too, but in a different way. The set's actually incredible, but many of the cards won't shine until Innistrad rotates out. (Bye Cavern!) Also, it's been heavily opened, with an accidentally overpowered chase mythic (VoR) sucking up a lot of box value. So many good, cheap singles from the set.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
GC is a trainwreck- just get singles. DGM is too, but in a different way. The set's actually incredible, but many of the cards won't shine until Innistrad rotates out. (Bye Cavern!) Also, it's been heavily opened, with an accidentally overpowered chase mythic) sucking up a lot of box value.

Which mythic is that? Voice of Resurgence? I've just been buying singles from each of the sets as I need them (within my budget), but we're still trying to work through a lot of the cards from the set to figure out how we craft decks that fit our playstyle out of the new cards. What's the biggest flaw with GC?

kirblar

Which mythic is that? Voice of Resurgence? I've just been buying singles from each of the sets as I need them (within my budget), but we're still trying to work through a lot of the cards from the set to figure out how we craft decks that fit our playstyle out of the new cards. What's the biggest flaw with GC?
They tried to aim the set at "Commander" players due to RTR generally being a "spiky" set. That was a mistake.

bigkrev

Favorite set is tough. My favorite draft format ever is Cok-Cok-Bok, so that's out.

Maybe Worldwake? Has tons of non-Jace cards I love (Treasure Hunt, Mysteries of the Deep, Calcitate Snapper, Searing Blaze, Pilgrim's Eye, Tectonic Edge, Kalestria Highborn, Omnath, Stoneforge Mystic, Quest for Ula's Temple, Loam Lion, Leatherback Baloth, Beastle Menace, Explore, Natures Claim....). Yeah, lets go with Worldwake

Hero

I think the best set in the game's history is Return to Ravnica. I'm actually not sure what my favorite set is, though.

Death and Taxes using Mangara of Corondor.

RTR is definitely one of the best sets in the history of the game. Innistrad is close for me as well. I think my personal favorite was Invasion. I love the kicker mechanic.

Definitely agree that GTC was such a huge disappointment. Really shitty how RTR guilds got absurdly powerful cards that are even Legacy playable and the GTC guilds got shafted hard. What's worse is they didn't even try to even it out with DGM either. Blech.

On a sidenote since we're talking DGM, what singles do you think are good speculation targets after rotation? Blood Scrivener?

kirblar

RTR is definitely one of the best sets in the history of the game. Innistrad is close for me as well. I think my personal favorite was Invasion. I love the kicker mechanic.

Definitely agree that GTC was such a huge disappointment. Really shitty how RTR guilds got absurdly powerful cards that are even Legacy playable and the GTC guilds got shafted hard. What's worse is they didn't even try to even it out with DGM either. Blech.

On a sidenote since we're talking DGM, what singles do you think are good speculation targets after rotation? Blood Scrivener?
Everything? lol Stuff is massively underpriced right now.

Hero

Everything? lol Stuff is massively underpriced right now.

I haven't kept up with standard prices in a while, just checking now and holy shit you're right.

Council of the Absolute is 1.99 on SCG right now. To me that seems like such a ridiculously powerful card for a control mirror.

Skylasher at the same price seems like it could be overpowered for a sideboard card.

All the EV seriously is in VoR, that's fucking crazy. Seems like Worldwake all over again.

Yeef

Not really a fan of shops thinking like that though. Even my local walmarts had $4 innistrad packs well after the shops raised them to 5 or 6. I was pretty bummed when one local store was expecting regulars to pay $250 per box of MM when we all know he got them for less than $100. MSRP should be the max they sell anything at around release.
That's just as silly as the whole anti-used games thing going on with game publishers these days. Supply and demand determines what prices the market will bear. If Wizards didn't want stores selling Modern Masters (or other limited-release products) for more than MSRP, then they should have printed more.

If somehow, MSRP was enforced, all that would lead to is stores not selling Modern Masters at all and simply opening the boxes for singles. And even if stores did sell at MSRP, you'd just get speculators buying it all up to resell online.

rCIZZLE

That's just as silly as the whole anti-used games thing going on with game publishers these days. Supply and demand determines what prices the market will bear. If Wizards didn't want stores selling Modern Masters (or other limited-release products) for more than MSRP, then they should have printed more.

If somehow, MSRP was enforced, all that would lead to is stores not selling Modern Masters at all and simply opening the boxes for singles. And even if stores did sell at MSRP, you'd just get speculators buying it all up to resell online.

There should be a mutual agreement that the players support the store and the store helps support the hobby. If the store goes for maximum dollars on stuff like this then why shouldn't the players just buy packs, singles, and supplies online?

Not sure what the anti-used games comment has to do with anything...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";65400356]I have a playset of Skylashers from drafting that I've just been holding on to.[/QUOTE]

That card would have been amazing if it was in M13 or Avacyn Restored.

Hero

There should be a mutual agreement that the players support the store and the store helps support the hobby. If the store goes for maximum dollars on stuff like this then why shouldn't the players just buy packs, singles, and supplies online?

Yeah around where I am there are only two stores. One of them is probably the biggest Magic LGS in Pennsylvania and the other is pretty small. The former was charging like 14 dollars for a pack of Modern Masters while the latter was only charging MSRP on them (limited to 3 per person though). Also the drafts at the former were 35 dollars while they were only 20 dollars at the latter.

I support them more for not being scumbags about it.

kirblar

The problem with MM is simply that they once again underprinted their non-expansion release. At some point they need to realize that erring on the "over" side is just fine.

Yeef

In the case of Modern Masters specifically, $250 a box isn't that different from online prices. Most places online were selling between $225 and $300 a box.

In general, what should keep players buying in-store is the atmosphere, social aspects and immediacy. Brick and Mortar will never compete with online shops on price in virtually any category (excepting huge chains like Walmart and Toys R Us) because there's more overhead and less traffic. Wizards encourages this model by offering certain incentives that can only be had at hobby shops. Things like event-specific promo cards and WPN-only products. Most stores 'support the hobby' by hosting events and providing space for players to congregate and play with other players.

Enforcing MSRP is an attempt to artificially regulate the market, just like disallowing used games.

Yeah around where I am there are only two stores. One of them is probably the biggest Magic LGS in Pennsylvania and the other is pretty small. The former was charging like 14 dollars for a pack of Modern Masters while the latter was only charging MSRP on them (limited to 3 per person though). Also the drafts at the former were 35 dollars while they were only 20 dollars at the latter.

I support them more for not being scumbags about it.
I don't see anything wrong with either store in this situation. If people are willing to pay the higher prices, then what's the issue? Voting with your wallet is fine (and I'd likely do the same in your situation), but I don't really think pricing at what the market will bear warrants being called 'scumbags.' It's leisure product, after all. It's not like they're holding your medicine you need to live hostage behind a high price tag or anything so severe.

MjFrancis

Here's the Boros deck I want to try my hand at standard with:
http://www.mtgvault.com/francis/decks/boros-2/
Took this out for a spin this afternoon. Only switch I made so far was putting in the Ash Zealots. Beat my friend's Legacy Mill deck, but it felt close. Took longer to ramp up than I cared for (didn't get a Mountain until turn 4) but against a mill deck I had plenty of life to spare so I'll definitely reconsider the shock lands. Half my deck was milled, but I got to a point where I had Tajic, two Boros Elites, a Firemane Avenger, a Legion Loyalist and Legion's Initiative enchantment and on the board and he was left with little to counter that so we called the game.

Hero

I don't see anything wrong with either store in this situation. If people are willing to pay the higher prices, then what's the issue? Voting with your wallet is fine (and I'd likely do the same in your situation), but I don't really think pricing at what the market will bear warrants being called 'scumbags.' It's leisure product, after all. It's not like they're holding your medicine you need to live hostage behind a high price tag or anything so severe.

They're free to price it at they want as a retailer and I'm free to not support such business practices. Why would I spend hard earned money at a store that clearly is trying to gouge their customer base? That's the definition of a scumbag.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";65372301]What's everybody's favorite set in the history of Magic?
[/QUOTE]

Block or set? Block: Time Spiral. Set: Tempest.

So how exactly do I buy with the event tickets? I just go in and pick the cards I want, then type in buy and a new tab will open or something?

An-Det

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";65372301]What's everybody's favorite set in the history of Magic?[/QUOTE]

Favorite individual set for me would be Odyssey. It's not the greatest set, but it was the first where I was playing in tournaments, and I absolutely loved the graveyard themes (of the entire block really, madness was the first deck I loved to play).

Favorite overall block is easily the original Ravnica block. Perfection.

The trading system is so off. One place offered me one ticket for an M13 booster pack while another offered me 2.3 which just came out to two. I don't even know how much it's really worth.

ultron87

Finally got to draft Modern Masters tonight. It was from a guy at the stores box so not for keeps but that was fine. Good lord that format is fun as hell. I wish we could just draft that for three months.

Yeef

Finally got to draft Modern Masters tonight. It was from a guy at the stores box so not for keeps but that was fine. Good lord that format is fun as hell. I wish we could just draft that for three months.
Yeah.

I only got to draft it twice before the supply ran out. It's such a tease.

Here's hoping that, via some miracle, a bunch more appear.

kirblar

Yeah.

I only got to draft it twice before the supply ran out. It's such a tease.

Here's hoping that, via some miracle, a bunch more appear.
They don't learn and have once against underprinted pretty badly. Mythics in particular are going to be a real problem very soon.

The trading system is so off. One place offered me one ticket for an M13 booster pack while another offered me 2.3 which just came out to two. I don't even know how much it's really worth.

Yeah, the best thing to do early is to kind of shop around a bit. There's usually kind of a consensus on stuff, with outliers usually in the direction that screws you. With the partial tickets thing, the bots keep track of who has a credit with them for the fractional part as a way to keep you coming back. So it's best to kind of stick with one bot system unless a particular price makes it worth branching out.

I very often find myself wishing there was some sort of real auctionhouse kind of thing, but no, just this sucky system

Hero

Tarmogoyf, sadly, is about to explode.

Nice job printing it at Mythic.

Yeah I was just seeing the thread on MTGsalvation about how much SCG is buying them at now.

I'm hoping tomorrow I can finish off my playset tomorrow at one of my LGS that isn't so quick to update their prices.

Yeah, the best thing to do early is to kind of shop around a bit. There's usually kind of a consensus on stuff, with outliers usually in the direction that screws you. With the partial tickets thing, the bots keep track of who has a credit with them for the fractional part as a way to keep you coming back. So it's best to kind of stick with one bot system unless a particular price makes it worth branching out.

I very often find myself wishing there was some sort of real auctionhouse kind of thing, but no, just this sucky system

Any bots you might recommend?

If they separated the bots and personals that would help a little, I think, seeing as the bots have a more common set price.

I can't wait for some Theros spoilers. Love Greek and Roman mythology, hope they hit it out of the park thematically like they did with Innistrad. Now they just need to work in Mesoamerican, Norse, and Egyptian mythology at some point.

It makes me a little salty. I specifically traded off Goyf and Bob last year because they had made a lot of noise about how they wanted to make Modern more accessible and not let prices get out of hand in the same way as Legacy. This was before the actual MM announcement where Forsythe suddenly became super coy on the issue and made very strenuous assurances that prices were in no way going to be going down. I'm not actually upset, and I'd have 0 right to be considering I got the Goyfs at $23 and the Bobs at $8, but it's the principle of the thing. MM is not the way you go about making a format more accessible; it just hyped the format, it didn't make it easy to get into.

Well, he was right; prices aren't going down, really. Most anything that has gone down is only down to where it was before the MM announcement. Also the "Magic speculator" mindset is fucking toxic and needs get burned, badly, by a string of high profile reprints. People don't get that (1) hoarding is bad for the game (2) reprints can be done in a sane, sensible way that still lowers prices a decent amount (3) your magic collection is not your retirement money.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It'll be interesting to see how WotC responds to MMA and GP Vegas. It's fun listening to people complain that the value of the stuff they opened in MMA isn't worth what they hoped at the moment. People don't really understand how sales work sometimes.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Sigh...am I really going to have to drop $500+ on a playset of goyfs? I feel like if I try to wait for prices to go down:

1. It won't happen anytime soon
2. There are tons (probably thousands) of other people with the same idea in mind
3. Not worth the wait

Need the Goyfs to finish my RG Aggro deck for Modern.

Edit: I heard there were around 4000-5000 players on Friday in Vegas just for side events? TO was expecting around 2000 or so lol.

Also heard that all the side events were lottery/raffle style and not first come, first serve (I'm not sure if this is true or not).

An-Det

Seriously, MMA is a massive fuckup in some regards. Way underprinted and putting some core staples at Mythic was a mistake. I will laugh if they announce Modern Masters 2 and goyf is still mythic though.

Is anyone running coverage of GP Las Vegas? I went to dailymtg and they had coverage of GP Bangkok.

I didn't even know there was a GP Bangkok this weekend.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So a friend mentioned a new casual format last night that we think we're going to try next week called Noble, its basically like a cross between Commander and Pauper. 60-card singleton deck, 55 of which are commons, four uncommons, and one rare or mythic that is the "noble" card. The noble card starts in the command zone like normal, but can only be played from there once, doesn't place any color restrictions, and can be any card type (and doesn't have to be legendary)

I'm very curious to see how it plays.

kirblar

Sigh...am I really going to have to drop $500+ on a playset of goyfs? I feel like if I try to wait for prices to go down:

2. There are tons (probably thousands) of other people with the same idea in mind
3. Not worth the wait

Edit: I heard there were around 4000-5000 players on Friday in Vegas just for side events? TO was expecting around 2000 or so lol.

Also heard that all the side events were lottery/raffle style and not first come, first serve (I'm not sure if this is true or not).
I just dumped 400 last night. I sold my set for 280 (3 NM, 1 SP) a year ago, expecting it to be reprinted. Not that I'm blaming them for my decision (I'm clearly going to be able to make up the difference), but they needed to impact the price in such a way that it at least stemmed the bleeding. Goyf is NOT a mythic card. It's an overpowered vanilla dork that's terrible in casual formats.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
I just dumped 400 last night. I sold my set for 280 (3 NM, 1 SP) a year ago, expecting it to be reprinted. Not that I'm blaming them for my decision (I'm clearly going to be able to make up the difference), but they needed to impact the price in such a way that it at least stemmed the bleeding. Goyf is NOT a mythic card. It's an overpowered vanilla dork that's terrible in casual formats.

I'm probably going to bite the bullet on SCG tomorrow or on Monday only because I have enough store credit to justify not buying it cheaper from someplace else. It won't be reprinted any time soon and if it does drop in value, it won't go below $100 again ever so I won't lose too much I guess (barring a reprint obv).

OnPoint

3. Not worth the wait

It bothers me too. I was hoping to pick up 'Goyfs and Bobs for the first time so I could actually play with them. But Goyfs are going for as much as JTMS now. No, I'm out. Thanks Wizards. I'll just not play 'Goyf decks.

kirblar

I'm probably going to bite the bullet on SCG tomorrow or on Monday only because I have enough store credit to justify not buying it cheaper from someplace else. It won't be reprinted any time soon and if it does drop in value, it won't go below $100 again ever so I won't lose too much I guess (barring a reprint obv).
They bumped it to 150, lol.

It bothers me too. I was hoping to pick up 'Goyfs and Bobs for the first time so I could actually play with them. But Goyfs are going for as much as JTMS now. No, I'm out. Thanks Wizards. I'll just not play 'Goyf decks.
The good thing is that in neither format do you actively need to play the card anymore. (I'm not sure he's even actually good in Legacy now.)

y2dvd

Finally switched away from Boros Humans and played a slightly modified U/W/R flash deck. Went undefeated, winning each match relatively easy by 2-0 except the final match.

Creature
2xBoros Reckoner
2xGosT
1xNiv-Mizzit Dragon
1xResto Angel
4xSnapcaster Mage
1xThundermaw Hellkite

Planeswalker
1xTamiyo

Spells
4xAzorius Charm
1xDissipate
1xDetention Sphere
1xMizzium Mortars
2xTurn/Burn
3xPillar of Flame
3xSearing Spears
2xSphinx's Revelation
1xSupreme Verdict
2xSyncopate
2xWarleader's Helix

Lands
4xGlacial Fortress
3xHallowed Fountain
4xSacred Foundry
4xClifftop Retreat
4xSulfur Falls
3xSteam Vents
1xIsland
1xDesolate Lighthouse

Sideboard
1xAssemble the Legion
1xClone
1xCounterflux
1xDispel
3xIzzet Staticaster
1xJace, Architect
2xNegate
1xPillar of Flame
2xPurify the Grave
2xSupreme Verdict

I was able to be surprisingly aggressive with GosT. With all the burn spells, Azorius Charms, and Resto Angels to back him up, I was able to go on the offensive even against aggro decks. Still, he can be a dead card with no back ups and that’s why I mixed GosT with Reckoner, who was still great at 2-for-1’n everything. I was testing out Niv-Mizzet Dragon and there’s no reason to play it over Aetherling, so I will make the switch. The dragon cost just as much but can’t protect itself. Warleader’s Helix was such a good card that saved me so many times. I like Tamiyo over Ral Zerek because it was locking down big creatures mid-late game that Ral would not be able to kill otherwise. I’m liking Desolate Lighthouse over Slayer’s Stronghold; being able to cycle more often seemed more relevant than pumping up a guy +2/+0 and giving it vigilance for a turn. I thinking the biggest play I made was deciding to use Mizzium Mortar on an Albor’s Elf on T2. It slowed him down so much and prevented him from casting Advent Wurm for a few turns by taking away what would’ve been his 2nd green source.

Anyways, still new with the deck so any tips and recommendations would be appreciated!

kirblar

Yeah I know. I'm trying to convince myself that getting them at that price is somehow justifiable.
It's not. Buy them on Ebay for 100-105 and get some duals instead- their prices are generally reasonable if not named Underground Sea.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
It's not. Buy them on Ebay for 100-105 and get some duals instead- their prices are generally reasonable if not named Underground Sea.

The former would be my option if I actually had any money left lol. I blew most of it making UWR for Modern.

OnPoint

They bumped it to 150, lol.

The good thing is that in neither format do you actively need to play the card anymore. (I'm not sure he's even actually good in Legacy now.)

That's good to hear since I've been slowly buying my way into UB Tezzeret over the last month or so. I have 3 of 4 Underground Seas already, so that's a big hurdle mostly covered lol I really want to get into an eternal format because I'm sick of spending money on standard. I think I've finally reached the point that I'm done with it. I'd rather invest in cards that won't swing wildly between 8 and 35 dollars when standard legal then mostly drop below 5.

bigkrev

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/348593025322205184[/tweet]

Fair or foul in regards to appearance fee? (Brian Kibler registered for the event, but did not register a deck and never played a round)

Top Bottom