• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Right, but my question was if you throw, say, another dreadbore at it when it blinks back in at the end step (and they choose to blink it again), would it pop back in at the *next* end step or immediately.

It would be on your end step then.

When Aetherling is on the board, you need X + 1 spells/removal abilities to kill it where X is the number of blue mana your opponent has.

Sux yo.

The other way of "removing" Aetherling is to target it with a removal spell then proceed to beat your opponent's face in and hope he dies before you do.

Zocano

And this card is only $8 because it's a rare in a small set right? I would imagine it would have bloomed similar to Voice.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And this card is only $8 because it's a rare in a small set right? I would imagine it would have bloomed similar to Voice.

That and that Voice only costs 2 mana and it's never a bad draw. Aetherling says "I win" but only on turn 7. Many decks will kill you way before that and if you have Aetherling in your hand on turn 1-5 you're wasting space with something playable, you don't ever want 4 of them, unlike Voice where you want 8 of 'em.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Infinite Dinosaurs. A lot of Echoing Truths and Logic Knots wheeled so I hated those since they're so good against my deck.

BtfoncC.jpg

wkpZHNh.jpg

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Couple noteworthy plays today:

1. I swing with Woodfall Primus, he triple blocks with three 1/1 tokens then plays Stir the Pride giving them all +2/+2, I trade with two tokens, bring Primus back to put him at 4 lands. Next turn I swing with Primus (along with two Emperiosaurs) he double blocks the Primus with two 3/3s, I Otherworldly Journey it and it goes downhill for him from there.

2. I am behind all game and he cast Bound in Silence on my Cloudgoat Ranger, he attacks with 2 creatures to put me at 4, taps out for some creature in which I respond with Otherworldly Journey on Cloudgoat. Next turn I swing with Cloudgoat, Nantuko Shaman, and the six tokens, he blocks the Cloudgoat and I Echoing Courage targetting a token to steal the game.

5th and final draft deck for the night. I love drafting UW in MMA.

mGxpyha.jpg

Yes that is two Thundercloud Shamans in my sideboard. I got one P2P8 and the second one tabled at P2P9, I have no clue what the people in the draft were doing. As soon as I saw them coming that late, I just hated them.

rCIZZLE

Surprised you didn't put the Vedalken in there somewhere. While not super impressive himself, Reveillark makes him potentially insane.

Love the rebel tutor engine in this set which I'm sure you're finding quite helpful as well. Feels like the Maverick GSZ toolbox.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
I boarded him in for Amrou Seeker against white decks.

If I'm white, I'm a huge fan of getting a mini rebel engine going on. It's usually 2 Scouts, 1 Recluse, 1 Seeker, and some number of Avian Changelings for me as you can see from my three screenshots lol.

I thought this deck would be a 3-0 until I played against a deck that had SoFaI round 1, so I ended up 2-1 :/

Okay, that's a ridiculous series of drafts you got there. Wow.

EDIT: Well, I just finished up my fourth MMA draft overall (how you guys grind out five drafts in a day online is beyond me - I have to have some variety in my day!). My first three were all 2-1, and I finally managed to put together a 3-0 with this sweet, sweet deck:

I wish I could tell a story of how I ground out card advantage turn after turn, rebuying faeries and Mulldrifter with Death Denied (which is my favorite card in this format by a mile), but alas, this was just a story of the power of Sword of Fire and Ice and countering all of my opponent's sick bombs with Logic Knot.

The best moment was in the finals. It's game three against the nuts BW rebels deck. Game one he succumbed to my removal, and game two I fell to the power of rebel searchers. Game three sees the board looking like this:

Him: 2x Swamp, Plains, Executioner's Capsule, Kithkin Greatheart, Court Homunculus, Blightspeaker
Me: Rathi Trapper, 2x Swamp, 2x Island. Errant Ephemeron is on suspend. I have an Island, Blightspeaker, Echoing Truth, and Sword of Fire and Ice in hand.

I need to kill his Blightspeaker, or force him to block with it before he can untap with it. I do this by setting myself up to put Sword on my Trapper and attack next turn, but he needs to have Blightspeaker as his only blocker and have it still be summoning sick.

I play my own Blightspeaker, tank, then hit his with Echoing Truth. Mine comes back to hand, and I type "oops" into the chat. He types a smiley face back, untaps, attacks with his creatures, and replays the Blightspeaker. Perfect. I suit up the Trapper and attack. He doesn't think it through, doesn't block, and the trigger kills his Blightspeaker and I get a free card draw out of the deal. He attacks me back and drops an Avian Changeling, at which point I rip Murderous Redcap, the Ephemeron comes off suspend, and he scoops when the Redcap eats the changeling. Sweet.

I thought for sure this would be my last draft before the downtime, but since I 3-0d and have the pieces for another draft, I don't think I'll be able to resist the call. It's a shame this format is so expensive and so scarce.

EDIT 2: I just realized that in four Modern Masters drafts, I've pulled four Mythics. Elspeth and the Sword of Ice and Fire are the only ones worth anything (Sarkhan Vol and Keiga are the others), but that's kind of an absurd ratio. According to Wolfram Alpha, there's a 5% chance of that happening, so I guess it's not that crazy, but still pretty cool.

An-Det

The top 8 was fairly diverse, 6 decks showing, some being completely absent from the coverage before this. I was hoping Ari Lax would take it down, but this has been great to watch and Living End should be a cool finals. Really hope the local Modern scene picks up between this and MMA.

sJ7lvls.jpg

The top 8 was fairly diverse, 6 decks showing, some being completely absent from the coverage before this. I was hoping Ari Lax would take it down, but this has been great to watch and Living End should be a cool finals. Really hope the local Modern scene picks up between this and MMA.

sJ7lvls.jpg

These results seem just fine. I was a tad worried about Pod overrepresenting, but it looks like that was probably just due to the bandwagon effect, and the top 8 percentage representation is just about equivalent to the day two percentage representation, so no worries there.

Also, it's remarkable how cyclical Splinter Twin is in terms of metagame share. UWR undershowed, so we see two Twin decks in the top 8. I love that deck - a lot. Glad to see it coming back.

Also, I love seeing Burn finally justify its position in the metagame. Once again, UWR undershowed, so that's fewer Kitchen Finks and Lightning Helix to worry about.

kirblar

I want my 4 Goyfs and 3 other Bobs too. But mythic was the correct call on those. Now, those shitty dragons at mythic....eh.
It wasn't. They would never be Mythic in a normal set, and by deciding to play tight on the supply, and they ended up not impacting the prices one bit.

WanderingWind

It wasn't. They would never be Mythic in a normal set, and by deciding to play tight on the supply, and they ended up not impacting the prices one bit.

The prices weren't supposed to be impacted. People said over and over again the prices weren't going to be affected. People still held their dreams about 10 dollar Bobs and 15 dollar Goyfs and refused to learn the basics of supply and demand. And two of the best cards in Magic history would certainly be mythic. Why would they not be?

kirblar

The prices weren't supposed to be impacted. People said over and over again the prices weren't going to be affected. People still held their dreams about 10 dollar Bobs and 15 dollar Goyfs and refused to learn the basics of supply and demand. And two of the best cards in Magic history would certainly be mythic. Why would they not be?
Because Mythic Rarity shouldn't be about price. How are people going to react when the card's $200? It's an Arena variant and a Vanilla beater. Neither would be Mythic if printed in a new set.

WanderingWind

Because Mythic Rarity shouldn't be about price. How are people going to react when the card's $200? It's an Arena variant and a Vanilla beater. Neither would be Mythic if printed in a new set.

Except they're two of the best cards ever printed. You're going to tell me they're less worthy of mythic than Archangel's Light and Misthollow Griffin? Come on.

And what the holy fuck at the epic punt on the stream. Guy just straight conceded out of nowhere and he had the cards to win the game.

An-Det

Gotta suck for him, but pretty funny. I'd love to ask him what he thought the Macabre's were for in those seconds if not exactly that.

kirblar

Except they're two of the best cards ever printed. You're going to tell me they're less worthy of mythic than Archangel's Light and Misthollow Griffin? Come on.

And what the holy fuck at the epic punt on the stream. Guy just straight conceded out of nowhere and he had the cards to win the game.
They're explicity against what they would put at Mythic Rarity in a normal expansion. The set was going to sell like hotcakes regardless, and its obvious there's less supply of the new versions than the old.

When a card hits the dollar level they're hitting, it makes it VERY hard to bring the price down later. In 2 years, when MM2 hits, how willing are people going to be to take the hit then?

WanderingWind

They're explicity against what they would put at Mythic Rarity in a normal expansion. The set was going to sell like hotcakes regardless, and its obvious there's less supply of the new versions than the old.

When a card hits the dollar level they're hitting, it makes it VERY hard to bring the price down later. In 2 years, when MM2 hits, how willing are people going to be to take the hit then?

They're two of the most powerful cards ever printed. What else do you think mythic in a best of set as going to be used as? I don't really see how you're devaluing the power of two cards played in literally every format. They're expensive because they're powerful. The supply being low is vastly underrated. If you had the money, you can buy up 75 off Star City now.

And in 2 years, when MM2 hits as a follow up to the most successful Magic product of all time from WotC perspective, it's probably going to do alright.

f0rk

The definition of mythic rare given by wotc doesn't include power

It doesn't help Modern to have the meta game of events lower than GPs to be shaped by budget

kirblar

They're two of the most powerful cards ever printed. What else do you think mythic in a best of set as going to be used as? I don't really see how you're devaluing the power of two cards played in literally every format. They're expensive because they're powerful. The supply being low is vastly underrated. If you had the money, you can buy up 75 off Star City now.

And in 2 years, when MM2 hits as a follow up to the most successful Magic product of all time from WotC perspective, it's probably going to do alright.
MM2 isn't a follow up to RTR. ;)

WanderingWind

The definition of mythic rare given by wotc doesn't include power

It doesn't help Modern to have the meta game of events lower than GPs to be shaped by budget

The definition is that fewer of the cards are printed, but it's clearly where the two of the best cards ever printed are going to be placed in a greatest hits set. Again, it's nice to have those dreams of cheap Goyfs, but if you believed that, be angry at yourself for being naive, not WotC for following common sense protocols. And I hate that I'm defending WotC, because a ton of their business practices are garbage, but this one couldn't have gone any other way.

And the price point of Modern clearly hasn't hurt it, considering how MM was received. And RtR was nice, kirblar, but it didn't have the biggest MtG tourney of all time, now did it? ;)

kirblar

The definition is that fewer of the cards are printed, but it's clearly where the two of the best cards ever printed are going to be placed in a greatest hits set. Again, it's nice to have those dreams of cheap Goyfs, but if you believed that, be angry at yourself for being naive, not WotC for following common sense protocols. And I hate that I'm defending WotC, because a ton of their business practices are garbage, but this one couldn't have gone any other way.

And the price point of Modern clearly hasn't hurt it, considering how MM was received. And RtR was nice, kirblar, but it didn't have the biggest MtG tourney of all time, now did it? ;)
It's the best-selling set of all time.

y2dvd

So there's a popular saying that a planeswalker is treated like another player. Why is that? This saying confused my friends last night when they thought I couldn't Cyclonic Rift their PW the same way you wouldn't be able to target a player with it. All I could say was regardless of it being "another player", the PW is still a valid target due to it being a nonland permanent.

An-Det

So there's a popular saying that a planeswalker is treated like another player. Why is that? This saying confused my friends last night when they thought I couldn't Cyclonic Rift their PW the same way you wouldn't be able to target a player with it. All I could say was regardless of it being "another player", the PW is still a valid target due to it being a nonland permanent.

Flavor-wise, players originally were planeswalkers dueling, but after Time Spiral they're no longer godlike beings (really just powerful teleporting mages now), so they could have them actually be cards. I like where your friends are at flavor-wise, even if it's not correct in the rules.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This violation of flavor is unacceptable. You should be allowed to return your friends to their owners' hands.

OnPoint

Who thought theyd be that cheap? Ha! I'd have settled for them coming down by half of where they were and even that's too much.

Wasn't the whole point of the set to bring the barrier of entry to people who wanted to get into modern? The cards are even less accessible now, based on price. Pretty shitty way to jumpstart a format you're trying to pump.

An-Det

Who thought theyd be that cheap? Ha! I'd have settled for them coming down by half of where they were and even that's too much.

Wasn't the whole point of the set to bring the barrier of entry to people who wanted to get into modern? The cards are even less accessible now, based on price. Pretty shitty way to jumpstart a format you're trying to pump.

Officially it was to get more people aware and interested Modern. It worked. Problem is that having a very limited print run doesn't do shit versus the increased demand, so while there are technically more copies of cards out now, it's all irrelevant. The cards at moronic rarity changes (Bob, Goyf) have already jumped to absurd prices, and the MMA versions are all a bit cheaper for the moment but will be just as expensive (likely moreso) than originals once the Modern ptq season comes around again.

Everything about Modern Masters sends a mixed, conflicted message, both about MMA and as an introduction to Modern as a whole.

Woot, with M14 coming out and all hopefully we'll start seeing Theros information soon -- dying to learn more about that block, thematically.

They should show more Theros stuff at their Comic Con panel in two weeks.

Awesome! And is it me or is Comic Con super late this year? Isn't it normally a June thing? Or am I just misremembering?

Edit: It is just me and my stupid brain, it apparently is always mid-July.

OnPoint

Officially it was to get more people aware and interested Modern. It worked. Problem is that having a very limited print run doesn't do shit versus the increased demand, so while there are technically more copies of cards out now, it's all irrelevant. The cards at moronic rarity changes (Bob, Goyf) have already jumped to absurd prices, and the MMA versions are all a bit cheaper for the moment but will be just as expensive (likely moreso) than originals once the Modern ptq season comes around again.

Everything about Modern Masters sends a mixed, conflicted message, both about MMA and as an introduction to Modern as a whole.

Exactly. MMA singlehandedly dealt a deathblow to my pack and box buying addiction. I'll be picking singles off the secondary for a long while after that crap.

An-Det

Completely agreed with your first point on commentary, Kirblar. I'm usually disappointed with Wotc stream commentary in general unless it has LSV after he's out of contention, but it's much more noticeable for older formats like Modern where they simply don't have the experience. It's probably not feasible, but I'd love it if they hired a pro or two for each Modern and Legacy event, gave them enough money and pro points to make it worth their time (but less than if they did well at the event) and really made the commentary worth it.

I'm less sure on bannings though. There's definitely a heavy combo element (being the kill in pod, twin, and scapeshift after playing controlling/midrangey games) but I'm unconvinced anything is banworthy yet based on two out-of-season events. I do agree that SSG should go though. Dat Lotus Petal.

Top Bottom