• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

bigkrev

Watching MTG requires a time investment I normally do not have.

Yeah I hear you. They normally just get thrown on the Roku at night as background noise

Yea Cheon's streams are great.

I'll sometimes watch a Travis Woo stream if I want to seem some ridiculous decks. Can't watch them live though, gotta be able to fast forward through all his nonsense.

Also, if he ever put a shirt on....

I don't watch any MTG live. I watch some amount of it after the fact (GPs, Pro Tours, draft videos on CFB, etc), but not a lot. Streams are too time consuming; too much time caught up in the banter and the downtime between games.

If it wasn't already obvious that Theros is an enchantment block...

IhGlzzK2lZ_EN.jpg

Also, this card is kinda interesting:

uxu3Lcg9tL_EN.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The mage is pretty awful without any kind of protection or flash. It's just gonna get burned out immediately.

The mage is pretty awful without any kind of protection or flash. It's just gonna get burned out immediately.

We've seen this sort of creature plenty of times before. The fact that it dies easily doesn't necessarily make it bad. It just means that it traded for a burn spell instead of trading for a creature. It's a role player in a creature-based tempo deck - which makes the fact that it's a Merfolk all the more relevant. I guarantee you this sees some level of play in the formats where Merfolk decks get played.

OnPoint

It doesn't really do anything against any other color and gets killed by any removal under the sun.

Though I do think the white one could have cost WW. Would've made it really good, but not unreasonable.

Except the white one does get away from lots of removal and has three pretty awesome abilities on a decent body for 3 mana. Making that card WW would have made it balls-out amazing instead of super awesome.

Yeef

Am I missing something with Tidebinder? Seems like just another generic <1 core set rare that nobody will use.
It's a Merfolk. Bear in a relevant tribe with a relevant ability.

Hard to say if it'll see play in standard, but I can definitely see it being played in older formats, even if just in the sideboard.

rCIZZLE

It's a Merfolk. Bear in a relevant tribe with a relevant ability.

Hard to say if it'll see play in standard, but I can definitely see it being played in older formats, even if just in the sideboard.

I knew that it's a Merfolk. Just saying it seems like a mediocre card even with that included. The hate is just too situational.

I've recently delved into trying out the Modern format. So far in my playgroup I've tested with RUG Vial, RG tron, U tron and RG beats.

I experimented with a Varolz + Death's Shadow build, but it seems very prone to removal/bounce so I scrapped that idea and tried out a GB Dredgevine deck.

Against RUG vial and RG beats this dredegvine deck is very resilient and explosive, but my current wall is the Tron deck due to the Wurmcoils and Karn once they get into play.

Here's my Modern GB vine deck:
Creatures
4 Grave Crawler
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Vengevine
4 Bloodghast
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Slitherhead ( currently testing, might change to something else)
2 Stinkwed Imp
1 Shambling Shell (testing)

Spells
2 Sign in Blood
2 Abrupt Decay
3 Duress (to be replaced with IoK once I get my set)
1 Grisly Salvage
2 Dismember (maybe I should use Darkblast here)
1 Life from the Loam

Lands
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Woodland Cemetery
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Cavern of Souls
1 Dakmoor Salvage
1 Ghost Quarter
5 Swamp
1 Forest

SB
2 Pithing Needle
3 Apetite for Brains (will be Duress once I get my IoK)
1 Duress (will be 1 IoK)
3 Geth's Verdict
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Torpor Orb
2 Ghost Quarter (maybe 2 Surgical Extraction instead?)
1 Putrefy
1 Golgari Charm

My SB still needs a lot of work, any suggestions to make this deck viable in a GY hate environment?

Is it possible to have a competitive deck without adding in money cards like bobs/goyfs, and should I even include Liliana of the Veil in this dredge deck?

I'd appreciate any input you guys can give me.

noquarter

I've recently delved into trying out the Modern format. So far in my playgroup I've tested with RUG Vial, RG tron, U tron and RG beats.

I experimented with a Varolz + Death's Shadow build, but it seems very prone to removal/bounce so I scrapped that idea and tried out a GB Dredgevine deck.

Against RUG vial and RG beats this dredegvine deck is very resilient and explosive, but my current wall is the Tron deck due to the Wurmcoils and Karn once they get into play.

Here's my Modern GB vine deck:

My SB still needs a lot of work, any suggestions to make this deck viable in a GY hate environment?

Is it possible to have a competitive deck without adding in money cards like bobs/goyfs, and should I even include Liliana of the Veil in this dredge deck?

I'd appreciate any input you guys can give me.
I was thinking of making a deck very similar to this, but was going to try to go with Smallpox and Liliana of the Veil to hopefully disrupt their plan while enabling some graveyard shenanigans. Is it viable, no idea.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It looks like a Boar.

And I think it's better than the Elk, mainly because it's not merely a 3/3.

Exokell

Banned
imposing is gonna make blitz deck even more powerful, good sideboard against red/gruul aggro

Edit: seems most of m14 cards feel like sideboard cards.

OnPoint

Here's your black color hoser.

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/m14/poi798sjkasd/03VQSghGg1_EN.jpg[/img

Other spoilers:

[imghttp://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/m14/poi798sjkasd/RA5IYGcfmp_EN.jpg
yUoe1btHjH_EN.jpg

Black card is solid, pretty OK. White one is good against aggro for sure. But that enchantment.

heh

heh heh

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If there weren't a literal million instant speed cheap enchantment removal spells in every single format of the game it might be scary, but there are, so it isn't.

It's not hard to construct a deck that can have on-board targeted effects for free at instant speed. If this enchantment is costed competitively, it's remarkably unfair. In the right deck, even if it got removed, it would still be a one-sided board wipe. It also breaks the color pie wide open - hey, let's give blue actual creature removal! It's been deliberately overpriced, for very good reasons.

OnPoint

If there weren't a literal million instant speed cheap enchantment removal spells in every single format of the game it might be scary, but there are, so it isn't.

If it were cheaper it would be awesome with Grapeshot? Maybe?

It's not hard to construct a deck that can have on-board targeted effects for free at instant speed. If this enchantment is costed competitively, it's remarkably unfair. In the right deck, even if it got removed, it would still be a one-sided board wipe. It also breaks the color pie wide open - hey, let's give blue actual creature removal! It's been deliberately overpriced, for very good reasons.

Didn't stop Rapid Hybridization from existing.

Didn't stop Rapid Hybridization from existing.

Eh; I understand the frustration Rapid Hybridization and Pongify create, but I've never been bothered by those cards. They don't remove creatures; they replace them with creatures that are theoretically less frightening, and that effect certainly "feels" blue to me.

EDIT: It's funny. I bet those cards would seem more blue if they shuffled the target into it's owner's library instead of "destroying" the target, but that would actually make the card better than it currently is (gets around indestructibility and doesn't put the card into the yard where it's useful), and I would imagine that keeping the effect in check in terms of power level is better than making it read like a blue card.

Crocodile

Imposing Sovereign and Lifebane Zombie are dreamy :)

I guess M14 will have some good cards #Kappa

Also everyone going on about Dimiss into Dream, remember that Izzet Staticaster is a card. Making Dismiss into Dream competitively costed would have pushed "Peddle to the Metal" into the stratosphere.

I was thinking of making a deck very similar to this, but was going to try to go with Smallpox and Liliana of the Veil to hopefully disrupt their plan while enabling some graveyard shenanigans. Is it viable, no idea.

I'll sleeve up a proxy for Liliana to test her out, smallpox seems like a double edged sword though. Let me know how the deck runs in your meta.

An-Det

Played a 10-person Legacy tourney for a Jace tonight. Ended up 3-1, but since I lost the first round my breakers weren't great. I would have played Shardless BUG but since I have ANT loaned out for SCG Worcester this weekend I didn't have my Sea's or Delta's, so I went with Punishing Jund instead.

Round 1 was against UW Countertop. This went to 3 games and ultimately to turn 4 of turns when he finally put together RIP/Helm. Round 2 was against burn. Not knowing this I kept a 3-Thoughseize, Goyf, 3 land hand and somehow squeaked by the match. Round 3 was a Sneak and Show/Omnitell hybrid that didn't really do much. Round 4 was Belcher. I won the die roll and opened a hand of Thoughseize, Hymn to Tourach, Liliana, Bob, and perfect lands to make it happen. Turns out he had a turn 1 kill if he had gone first. Game 2 he mulled and dumped a bunch of goblins turn 1, so I played a turn 3 Engineered Plague, turn 4 Liliana and that was that.

Only having 1 Abrupt Decay was a bit awkward (mine are with ANT) but it never much mattered. Deck ran wonderfully, and they're trying to start up weekly Legacy there so hopefully that'll happen.

So for my white green blue exalted modern deck, which of these two counter spells do you guys think is better? I have a playset of each.

97uyslb.jpg
96lsse7.jpg

Render Silent is nice because it only costs three, but I use Favor of the Overbeing a lot in my deck which buffs Mystic Snake to a 4/4 flying vigilant. Then again, I have Slippery Bogles and a ton of other better creatures that cost the same or less that get the same buffs from the Favor.

Nature's Spiral will bring back the snakes but not Render Silent. If I swapped out the Spirals for Reborn Hopes, I could bring back the counters but not Eldrazi Conscription.

OnPoint

God's Beard!";68093006]So for my[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59830005&postcount=5141 said:
white green blue exalted modern deck[/URL], which of these two counter spells do you guys think is better? I have a playset of each.

97uyslb.jpg
96lsse7.jpg

Render Silent is nice because it only costs three, but I use Favor of the Overbeing a lot in my deck which buffs Mystic Snake to a 4/4 flying vigilant. Then again, I have Slippery Bogles and a ton of other better creatures that cost the same or less that get the same buffs from the Favor.

Nature's Spiral will bring back the snakes but not Render Silent. If I swapped out the Spirals for Reborn Hopes, I could bring back the counters but not Eldrazi Conscription.

If you're splashing white isn't Shield of the Oversoul better? Goes great on a Boggle or a Geist

ShieldOfTheOversoul.jpg

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Armadillo Cloak is not legal in Modern and neither Mystic Snake or Render Silent are particularly good. You should just play Mana Leak or Remand if you want a counterspell.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Armadillo Cloak is not legal in Modern and neither Mystic Snake or Render Silent are particularly good. You should just play Mana Leak or Remand if you want a counterspell.

He can swap Armadillo Cloak for unflinching courage.

So I've been picking up stuff from MMA while the set's still draftable (i.e., before the prices jack themselves back up again), and I put together this Modern Azorius Taxes deck based on a list I saw on MTGSalvation. I love this deck. I seriously do - it's a ton of fun. But it hurts my head to play. One match with this deck feels like three with anything else I've played before.

Azorius Tax Collectors said:
Creatures
4x Judge's Familiar
4x Leonin Arbiter
4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1x Jotun Grunt
2x Aven Mindcensor
4x Flickerwisp
3x Skaab Ruinator
2x Stonecloaker
1x Trinket Mage
1x Glen Elendra Archmage
2x Mulldrifter

Noncreatures
4x Aether Vial
4x Path to Exile
1x Pithing Needle
1x Engineered Explosives

Land
4x Hallowed Fountain
4x Seachrome Coast
5x Plains
2x Island
4x Ghost Quarter
2x Tectonic Edge
1x Moorland Haunt

Sideboard
2x Burrenton Forge-Tender
1x Detention Sphere
2x Icatian Javelineers
2x Kataki, War's Wage
3x Kitchen Finks
2x Mirran Crusader
2x Stony Silence
1x Vendilion Clique

Highlights so far (just today): Flickerwisp'ing a D-Sphere, releasing a Gobling Electromancer and gobbling up 12 Empty the Warrens tokens. Vialing in a Flickerwisp to pick up a Sword of Light and Shadow mid-combat, killing the blocker, and Needling the Sword on my turn. And of course, using Arbiter to turn Ghost Quarter into Strip Mine never gets old.

Thoughts on the list: Judge's Familiar has been strange. It gets eaten by counterspells and removal a remarkable amount of the time, which means that it's doing its job I suppose. He rarely actually counters spells; just gets eaten by them. Glen Elendra Archmage is amazing; I'd love to run more, but mana is usually too tight for that. Trinket Mage has been clutch; I need to put a Grafdigger's Cage in the side anyway, and he'll get even better there. I haven't yet lived the dream of flickering a Mulldrifter, but he's been a Divination quite a few times, and became food for a Moorland Haunt or Skaab Ruinator.

If you're splashing white isn't Shield of the Oversoul better? Goes great on a Boggle or a Geist

ShieldOfTheOversoul.jpg
But then my only two drop is really Qasali Pridemage and I wouldn't be able to pull auras with Ardent Plea. I guess the indestructible is really good. I can't afford St. Traft, though. Or voice of Resurgence :-(

Armadillo Cloak is not legal in Modern

Huh. I didn't think it was that old. I guess I have to buy another Unflinching Courage.

You should just play Mana Leak or Remand if you want a counterspell.
Well I already have the others.

You also can't really make a modern Bant deck without Noble Hierach :(

Why do I need the extra exalted so much more than Birds of Paradise? I pretty much only win games with Eldrazi conscription or Rafiq of the Many.

ianswoody

Hey guys. Super new casual here who just participated in his first 2 drafts the past couple weeks. Think it should be a fun new hobby since I live 2 blocks away and work in the same building as a local game shop. Subscribing for funs and potential Q&A's.

Top Bottom