• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

So I'm going through my MtG cards and selling anything of value that isn't Innistrad, basically. I've been playing / buying MtG since the beginning so have some stuff that's worth a little bit (nothing too exciting like Moxes or a Lotus or anything). One thing I picked up waaay back then was the Collector's Edition, the one with square black-bordered cards and a gold trim on the back. I've had the cards in binders since I first got them so they are pretty much NM, but figured they wouldn't be worth anything since they aren't tournament legal. While I was pricing some of my other cards I saw that set listed on both of the sites I'm considering selling to, and selling individually I'm looking at them paying $700 - $900. Why? What am I missing here? I like them for sentimental reasons but, really, for that money I'm happy to part -- should I be hanging on to these?

Edit: I should add that I like to try and play MtG all within the same block, I'm not a fan of deck building / playing across blocks, so I wouldn't use these in casual play -- and even if I did like playing across blocks, wouldn't the gold borders kind of ruin the ability to do that? I guess card sleeves?

Edit: It's the domestic version, not the international -- not sure what the difference between the two is. I still have the box as well as all of the duplicate lands.

Collectors items are, well, collector's items. No one plays with baseball cards but they're worth tonnes.

Not to mention that people throw them into cubes as "proxies" even though they're pretty much the real thing.

Confirmed!

1xOmpOoB7N_EN.jpg

Also:

VEWXLHvEhO_EN.jpg

And dat flavor:

AlgzCcL9UQ_EN.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Holy fucking shit a cheaper mortarpod yesyesyesyes ordering 10 playsets now

Junk Aristocrats seems to be doing well. Junk Tokens isn't half bad.

That's two right off the top of my head.

I can't break apart my Act 2 deck. I'll try out tokens, I suppose. I love the combos, but I can't seem to build anything decent out of 'em without it be Aristocrats

Exokell

Banned
m14 sucks balls. Anyway im playing bant hex when this set becomes standard in mtgo. Gladecover scout is gonna be insane.

Reasonable draft card (grizzly bear with upside), don't see it getting much play elsewhere. Hell my Trostani deck (which earlier today earned me 160 life in 1 turn) wouldn't even play this.

It's unfortunate that the way you make this good (make the counters be an ETB trigger instead of an "enters with" effect) makes the card too complex for a core set.

EDIT: Ooh, Briarpack Alpha is in the set? That's a sweet, sweet, limited card.

And apparently Rewind is in again? That card is much less good after Restoration Angel rotates. How about printing a good 4CC counterspell, like Dismiss.

Crocodile

Worse Reassembling Skeleton, Worse Tectonic Edge and Worse Goblin Bombardment (though the latter two will probably still see play).

Yawn :(

I mean Barrage at least isn't strictly worse and I understand abilities like that just get mana attached to them in Modern design but if I want to play that effect I personally will stick to Cube/Legacy.

EDIT: I'm dumb. Tenacious Dead isn't a worse Reassembling Skeleton (well it is but that's besides the point) but rather a new take on regeneration which WOTC has said new players have struggled with. I'm met many a player who asked if sacrifice effects combo with regeneration and THIS DOES!

EDIT2: I guess others have said the above before me but I didn't notice at first. My bad :p

Would it be feasible if Wizards just changed Regeneration to work like Tenacious D's ability? That's how regeneration works 99% of the time anyway, and it's not like players need do-nothing mana sinks to dodge mana burn. Hell, it even keeps the tapping clause.

ultron87

I think they are in too deep to change a keyword that has existed since the beginning like that. It would outright break cards like Experiment One (because a thing in the graveyard has no counters to remove) and would make regeneration not combo well at all with Auras. And you can't kill something in response to the ability anymore.

I think they are in too deep to change a keyword that has existed since the beginning like that. It would outright break cards like Experiment One (because a thing in the graveyard has no counters to remove) and would make regeneration not combo well at all with Auras. And you can't kill something in response to the ability anymore.

Good point, I had forgotten about things like Auras. I dunno, for some reason, I hate seeing old keywords phase out (tee hee) but I suppose its necessary.

ultron87

Maybe Filter Lands for Theros, then? Just from a flavor perspective I could see some cool Greek-ish art for stuff like Mystic Gate and Sunken Ruins.

OnPoint

MTGSalvation has added Gladecover Scout to the spoiler.

I give up. They are never going to learn.

At what point does Bant Hexproof just need to become GW Hexproof? Rotation?

Gladecover Scout, Witchgobbler, Unflinching Courage, Ethereal Armor... It's a pretty solid base so far.

I don't know if it would be better without blue though, as Stalker and Geist are pretty darn good.

Maybe Junk Hexproof using Blood Baron and just green enchant... no. No, that doesn't work.

JulianImp

At what point does Bant Hexproof just need to become GW Hexproof? Rotation?

Gladecover Scout, Witchgobbler, Unflinching Courage, Ethereal Armor... It's a pretty solid base so far.

I don't know if it would be better without blue though, as Stalker and Geist are pretty darn good.

Maybe Junk Hexproof using Blood Baron and just green enchant... no. No, that doesn't work.

I guess the loss of two cheap hexproof creatures will make things a lot harder for that kind of decks, since they'll only have the scouts, Witchgobbler and Ascended Lawmage, which costs a bit too much and forces blue once again.

The deck still has access to Rancor until rotation, however, and that's one mean card that's nearly impossible to remove for good when used alongside hexproof creatures. That Orzhov aura (was it Gift of Orzhova?) could also be good, giving flying to your scouts and wolves while adding lifelink on top of that to let you race other aggro decks.

As long as they don't print enough cheap and redundant hexproof threats, I guess things'll be under control, as hexproof creatures without built-in evasion slow the deck down a fair bit. A T1 Scout needs at least two other auras (say, T2 Ethereal Armor, T3 Courage/Gift) to be able to reliably race some of the faster aggro decks, plus a way to get through sacrifice effects, which are even harder to answer than wraths due to their instant speed.

OnPoint

I guess the loss of two cheap hexproof creatures will make things a lot harder for that kind of decks, since they'll only have the scouts, Witchgobbler and Ascended Lawmage, which costs a bit too much and forces blue once again.

The deck still has access to Rancor until rotation, however, and that's one mean card that's nearly impossible to remove for good when used alongside hexproof creatures. That Orzhov aura (was it Gift of Orzhova?) could also be good, giving flying to your scouts and wolves while adding lifelink on top of that to let you race other aggro decks.

As long as they don't print enough cheap and redundant hexproof threats, I guess things'll be under control, as hexproof creatures without built-in evasion slow the deck down a fair bit. A T1 Scout needs at least two other auras (say, T2 Ethereal Armor, T3 Courage/Gift) to be able to reliably race some of the faster aggro decks, plus a way to get through sacrifice effects, which are even harder to answer than wraths due to their instant speed.

Naya Hexproof to include Madcap Skills, perhaps? I also like it to include Boros Charm, for the indestructibility clause, and maybe the double strike option too.

JulianImp

Naya Hexproof to include Madcap Skills, perhaps? I also like it to include Boros Charm, for the indestructibility clause, and maybe the double strike option too.

Yeah, I guess Madcap Skills could work, as it's a good T2 play for enchanting Scouts with. It's quite on later turns compared to the other auras, though. Boros Charm would be a tempting addition as well, since all the modes could end up being relevant.

Still, the deck will be quite weak against sacrifice effects, which cost 2 and 3 mana. Eight creatures won't be enough to let you dodge edicts reliably, and you'll be losing a lot of advantage for them. The deck would probably need some way to summon expendable creatures or tokens to dodge the edicts, which would in turn force it to run less business spells.

I believe the deck would be kind of weak either way, since your opponents would only need to focus on removing or slowing down a few of your creatures to secure victory, or at the very least earn a large advantage.

OnPoint

Yeah, I guess Madcap Skills could work, as it's a good T2 play for enchanting Scouts with. It's quite on later turns compared to the other auras, though. Boros Charm would be a tempting addition as well, since all the modes could end up being relevant.

Still, the deck will be quite weak against sacrifice effects, which cost 2 and 3 mana. Eight creatures won't be enough to let you dodge edicts reliably, and you'll be losing a lot of advantage for them. The deck would probably need some way to summon expendable creatures or tokens to dodge the edicts, which would in turn force it to run less business spells.

I believe the deck would be kind of weak either way, since your opponents would only need to focus on removing or slowing down a few of your creatures to secure victory, or at the very least earn a large advantage.

Maybe there will be some sort of Sigarda replacement that nullifies sacrifice effects. Hopefully cheaper than 5 mana, but without hexproof? But now I'm just wishing.

WanderingWind

Jesus, tonight was not my night. 1-3.

I need some good decks that aren't Aristocrats or Naya. Any good lists to something that isn't fucking garbage?

Jesus, tonight was not my night. 1-3.

I need some good decks that aren't Aristocrats or Naya. Any good lists to something that isn't fucking garbage?

If you've got the cards, just play Reid Duke's Jund list. From what I can tell observing from the outside, that list seem like the best "I have no idea what to play" list.

Then again, he did just win a GP with it, so it might not be best to bandwagon straight away. But the list does look solid, if you're the type of guy who likes Farseeks.

WanderingWind

If you've got the cards, just play Reid Duke's Jund list. From what I can tell observing from the outside, that list seem like the best "I have no idea what to play" list.

lol, that does seem to be the case with Jund in every format. But yeah, I do have the cards. Why the hell not. As much as I want Junk to work, it's not happening for me without the Aristocrats version

EDIT: NVM, forgot the Planeswalkers. Goddamn it

Well, I just finished my third Modern Masters draft online (why must the set be so damn expensive to draft?). Swiss, as usual, and 2-1 again, as usual. It turns out that when you cast Countryside Crusher on turn 3, you generally win the game if you have some lands in hand at the time.

I lost match one 0-2 to a RWU artifacts deck with all the usual suspects - plus a Ryusei. I lost game one of match two because I couldn't find a second red source and was stuck with double-red cards in hand.

Then I proceeded to cast Countryside Crusher on turn three in every one of the remaining games. And none of them were close. Not even a little bit. When every one of your draws are actual spells starting turn 4, it's hard to lose. I have no idea why that card came to me sixth pick in pack two, but I was thrilled to have it!

Echoing Courage should have been main, and Mogg War Marshal should have been in the side. I realized this pretty quickly and made the swap every game two.

At one point during the draft I thought was going to be 5-color Green, what with getting near-last pick Skyreach Mantas, but I didn't find enough fixing to justify it.

I'll probably end up finding time for one more MMA draft before it leaves MTGO. Maybe that one I can finally 3-0 :).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've never felt as dirty playing magic with my friends as I do when I play my control deck with Aetherling. When he hits the table it's basically scoopsville.

Zocano

lol, that does seem to be the case with Jund in every format. But yeah, I do have the cards. Why the hell not. As much as I want Junk to work, it's not happening for me without the Aristocrats version

EDIT: NVM, forgot the Planeswalkers. Goddamn it

I played a "sloppier" version of Jund tonight at FNM. Went 2-2.

It was the most fun deck I have played in a long time and it's because I'm a terrible person and love to play big fat creatures ]earlier than the natural curve. Turn 3 Thundermaw Hellkite gooooo.

By sloppier I meant I am short on the planeswalkers (only have the 1 Liliana), and my friend was using the Olivias was hoping to use but I have 4 Huntmasters, 3 Thundermaws, 2 Thragtusks, and 2 Deadbridge Goliaths to make up for the lack of 4 thrags. It worked well. Would work better with the rest of the cards but oh well. It was still super fun.

I was using a BUG aggro deck last week and as much as the synergy of that deck is super interesting and fun, it doesn't feel like it had enough killing power (especially against midrange if I start going too slow).

edit:

I've never felt as dirty playing magic with my friends as I do when I play my control deck with Aetherling. When he hits the table it's basically scoopsville.

I've only had the "pleasure" of playing against Aetherling once even though I see lots of people running it at my LGS. I'll see how it goes. I typically run *a lot* of removal in my decks so who knows (also Slaughter Games). I know it has got the 'long' blink but I figure the best way to kill it is try and throw a ton of removal at it until it's gone. You can do that correct? It will blink back in at the end step and you can throw another removal at it in which case they'll probably blink it again. But will it come back at the *next* end step or right back in the current end step?

edit edit:

Oh, it's "at the beginning of the next end step". I see. So it would come back at the next player's end step. I suppose you can just keep it perpetually out of the game but you'd need constant removal.

OnPoint

An Aetherling hitting the table with two mana free, hell, most of the time even just one, is basically game if the it was using got to the proper point. I don't know if I've ever seen a creature practically read "Win the game" like Aetherling does.

Zocano, it comes back at the end of the turn. So if you blink it on your opponent's turn, it comes back during that end step.

Zocano

Right, but my question was if you throw, say, another dreadbore at it when it blinks back in at the end step (and they choose to blink it again), would it pop back in at the *next* end step or immediately.

Yeef

Next end step.

But dreadbore is a sorcery, so you couldn't do that without a quicken effect.

You could trickbind or stifle the delayed "return to the battlefield" trigger to keep it exiled permanently though.

Top Bottom