• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
You usually don't ever want to hate draft unless there is absolutely nothing you can play, which includes cards that can make it to your sideboard.

The worst you can do when drafting is not having enough playables.

OnPoint

Pictures:

e66HQ7D.jpg

Those are ridiculous.

I wonder what those are going to sell for loose.

noquarter

Yeah, at least they're making it available at not-SDCC, but not a fan of the "TRGR" promo here.

There is a reason they do this, but I can't remember what it was. They release everything they sell at SDCC after the event online to keep from getting themselves in trouble. Wish I could remember what it was...

unreon

Thanks very muchly for the help, guys! :)

I liked going with Simic in the most recent block, and hopefully I can keep that up going into M14. Blue/Green is such a fun pairing.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
My friends went to the Hasbro Toys booth to get me a pack of the SDCC Planeswalkers, but they were all sold out for the day. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

zoukka

Thanks very muchly for the help, guys! :)

I liked going with Simic in the most recent block, and hopefully I can keep that up going into M14. Blue/Green is such a fun pairing.

Just don't force a colour combo. Try to detect which one colour is open and then support it with the next best thing.

That being said, if you can pick up Trained Condors and aggressively costed green creatures, UG looks like it could be a really strong strategy in M14 for sure.

unreon

Just don't force a colour combo. Try to detect which one colour is open and then support it with the next best thing.
I've heard this being said a lot but am not quite sure: how do I tell what colours are "open"?
Does this mean by the third or fourth pick of a booster, which colours people haven't picked yet?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I burnt out on M14 sealed last weekend, playing in 5 over the weekend, but I will say enlarge is a nasty card, won me many games.

In regards to draft I just keep it simple. Whenever I try to get tricky, it always bites me in the ass in the end. I usually draft for either every flier I can get or every single creature in green/white I can get. I never draft black, I just never have any luck with it. Green/white creatures, or blue/white fliers always does very well for me. And although I am in the minority here, I never draft removal. Instead I count on my massive army being its own "removal" and it almost always works. I just make sure that for every creature an opponent doom blades or lightning bolts away, I have another coming down right behind it. It's crude and simple but it works.

And they don't even play well. They're not the same. I'm the biggest Timmy here, and those things are just garbage

I pulled a ton of slivers in one sealed, including a few rares, and thought "well I know slivers suck, but with these many slivers, I definitely have to kick ass". Nope, even with 5 slivers on the board with +2/+3, first strike, and vigilance I still got stomped. Never again. All it takes is one sliver to die and suddenly your insane army crumbles around you one sliver by one.

zoukka

I've heard this being said a lot but am not quite sure: how do I tell what colours are "open"?
Does this mean by the third or fourth pick of a booster, which colours people haven't picked yet?

It's never certain, but yeah if you get passed very good cards as fourth pick, you can almost safely tell that the person right to you isn't on that colour. If you pass amazing black cards to your left you can guess that black isn't coming back in the next booster.

Just don't overthink it. Pick good cards and if you clearly see a colour open, jump in it. If you can't play your amazing first pick, it's not the end of the world.

unreon

Just came back from the first week of M14 Sealed League. 6 boosters and I netted what I thought was a neat little evasion/aura/removal BW deck. 5-6 auras to go with Auramancer and Blightcaster for value, as well as toughening up my Singir Vampire, Bonescythe Sliver, and Accursed Spirit for raw damage. 5-6 solid removal spells like Doom Blade, Pacifism, and Banisher Priest. T2 Child of Night into T3 Dark Favour just wasn't nice when the other guy has a real slow start. Pretty happy with what I put together, letting me cruise for 3 straight wins.

Auras are my favourite card type despite their recent history of being kind of sucky. The Replenish/Opalesence decks back in the day were my favourite to run.

First M14 Draft tomorrow; thanks once again for the advice guys :)

daevv

I don't post much in this thread but read it all the time. Had to post my super pulls from my M14 Fat Pack I bought this morning and my 2 packs I bought on the way to work a few hours later. I bought a pack of Modern Masters too and got a Demigod of Revenge.
Fat Pack:

fNM5OjA.jpg

2 packs:

OnPoint

Didn't do bad on my box at all. Only one PW, Jace, but I pulled a Darksteel Reactor (which I really wanted), Mutavault, Scavenging Ooze, the White paladin, RotDR, among many others. Not a bad little box at all.

hoverX

Was going to buy a box of M14 this weekend but now i'm thinking it best to buy a mix of packs. The price difference isn't that much. What sets do people suggest if I'm playing standard? (I just got into Magic so I have nothing to start with)

kirblar

Was going to buy a box of M14 this weekend but now i'm thinking it best to buy a mix of packs. The price difference isn't that much. What sets do people suggest if I'm playing standard? (I just got into Magic so I have nothing to start with)
RTR. IMO, it's the best magic expansion of all time. The set's "depth chart" at Rare/Mythic is incredible.

Yeef

Managed to draft mono red M14 tonight and proceeded to stomp most of my opponents. Only lost the second-to-last round and only by a single top-deck. I took 3rd, but I think I could've taken first had I won that game.

unreon

Ended up drafting a RG midrange deck that I thought had more removals than I actually did. Only ended having one Shock and one Chandra's Outrage (and passed on two more). Instead I somehow picked up 2 Naturalise, 2 Smelt, and 2 Demolish. Prooooooabably a little overkill on the sideboard cards, heh. Lone Jace as my only splashed blue card actually won me two games! Ended up going 2-1 to take 3rd/6 players.

Lesson learned: no really - pick more removals.

sgjackson

Just won an FNM draft (technically 3-0-1, but we played it out for fun and I beat him) with this deck. First time playing in paper.

-1-
1 Wring Flesh
-2-
1 Gnawing Zombie
1 Corpse Hauler
1 Disperse
-3-
2 Trained Condor
1 Scroll Thief
1 Xathrid Necromancer
1 Divination
2 Quag Sickness
1 Time Ebb
-4-
2 Accursed Spirit
3 Nephalia Seakite
1 Domestication
-5-
2 Messenger Drake
1 Nightwing Shade
1 Air Servant
1 Liturgy of Blood

9 Islands, 8 swamps.

As it turns out, having more than a quarter of your deck be evasive creatures and having a fair amount of removal and tempo is pretty good. The guy I played third had a better deck than me - similar, with a better removal suite (4 Claustrophobia! Also some hilarious tech with Blightcaster that got me a few times) and a lot of bombs (Colossal Whale, Sengir Vampire, Shadowborn Demon), but he got mana screwed game two and three. Pretty happy with how this turned out, and got seven packs out of the deal.

Play of the night was Domesticating a Colossal Whale to sac to Gnawing Zombie.

An-Det

New Duel Decks: Heroes vs Monsters confirmed, featuring Sun Titan and a new green thing from the new set.

New commandar product due out November 15 as well, 5 new decks, 15 cards in each, 51 total new cards.

An-Det

One of the new commanders:

"Innistrad is the closest comparison to how we made Theros says @maro254 Just replace gothic horror with Greek mythology."
"Innistrad was first time Erik Lauer and Mark Rosewater led development and design, Theros is the second."

So hyped.

Heliod in the pantheon of gods of Theros:

Another one, Erebos:

Nylea:

The set is officially confirmed to be an enchantment block.

An-Det

New Elspeth confirmed (there will be 2 other PW's in Theros). We already had hints of her returning, so nice to see confirmation.

Theros is a large set, Born of the Gods and Journey into Nyx are small, so will be classic draft format.

Apparently there is a previously-Future Shifted card that does something only done on that card. Interesting. Daybreak Coronet is Kibler's guess.

An-Det

They're doing Prerelease packs again. "Special type of card called a Hero card. Acts like a Vanguard."

Challenge cards, can purchase the decks after Game Day:

Huh, am I missing something? Will X ever not be 4? Can you voluntarily overspend on a card?

In EDH, every time your general is rfg'ed, you have to pay 2 more to recast it. So, first time for Jelessa is 4, then 6, then 8, etc.

Top Bottom