• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Can't you only use a play set of a single card in a deck? Only have four of any one card is how I remember playing Magic.

I'm playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, and this mutha luva (the AI) has pulled out six Horrifying Revelations practically one after another. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Then the AI played a Rise from the Grave, was able to put onto the battlefield my Mindleech Mass that was discarded from my library, and continue to play cards from my hand. LOL

It was so funny I forgot to laugh.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Can't you only use a play set of a single card in a deck? Only have four of any one card is how I remember playing Magic.

I'm playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, and this mutha luva (the AI) has pulled out six Horrifying Revelations practically one after another. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Then the AI played a Rise from the Grave, was able to put onto the battlefield my Mindleech Mass that was discarded from my library, and continue to play cards from my hand. LOL

Its one of the challenge games where the AI gets to break the rules

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

See? I told y'all the encounters being in a same area as the regular matches was a dumbass idea!

Nah, rocket, you're remembering correctly. DotP has a ton of "special encounters" which is code word for "The AI can do whatever the fuck it wants, including breaking all of the rules and you have to find a way to win."

They're designed so that no matter what you do, the computer will do the same pattern of moves. They're used to teach you how to adjust your strategy to differing tactics and to think of how to win against seemingly impossible odds.

JulianImp

If it's anything like DotP14's encounters, then yes, the AI could be playing with illegal decks.

I asked my LGS owner to set aside a FTV20 for me. I like some of the cards and want to support the store, since I don't care about reselling them online.

Today I went to my second prerelease, and opened an interesting pool, with the red and blue hate creatures, Elite Arcanist, Ratchet Bomb, Door of Destinies and Xathrid Necromancer. I ended up going WGR for the first two rounds, but switched over to WRU after I realized I could abuse the Arcanist with some of my spells as well as having two of those 4/3 fliers that could tap down other flying creatures, and ended up going 2-1-1, getting third place (our of eight) and earning a booster pack (plus the one we all got just for playing), where I got Goblin Diplomats and Bonescythe Sliver.

Today's prerelease was really odd, since I lost round 1 1-0-1 and some other guy also won a game and tied the second, and during the third round we had three (!) 1-1-1 ties, meaning a single match ended normally. Yesterday we had opened all five planeswalkers, and today we got all the hate creatures (ie: Witchstalker), which was kind of funny.

I also finally got my hands on my first Young Pyromancer! The store owner had opened one up, so I bought it off of him as soon as I could.. sadly, it looks like I won't be getting a playset in time before next week's FNM.

Its one of the challenge games where the AI gets to break the rules

See? I told y'all the encounters being in a same area as the regular matches was a dumbass idea!

Nah, rocket, you're remembering correctly. DotP has a ton of "special encounters" which is code word for "The AI can do whatever the fuck it wants, including breaking all of the rules and you have to find a way to win."

They're designed so that no matter what you do, the computer will do the same pattern of moves. They're used to teach you how to adjust your strategy to differing tactics and to think of how to win against seemingly impossible odds.

If it's anything like DotP14's encounters, then yes, the AI could be playing with illegal decks.

Okay, thanks for the help. I didn't realize it was something "special" since it just seemed like normal duel progression with the game.

I still don't think the AI should be able to use illegal decks. If it were a real player I'd be takin' them outta there.

iFelYmzqdjdPo.gif

JulianImp

I had some huge problems against the Relentless Rats deck in Duels 2014, whose deck went 1 CMC rat, Ravenous Rats (I think), and then from that turn onwards I'd always draw a Relentless Rats per turn and cast it. I had to turn to Chandra's deck to stand a chance, since the AI wasn't dumb enough to suicide its rats by attacking, but merely waited until each rat was larger than your largest possible blocker.

The sealed campaign's practice deck was just as annoying, with it dopping a Suntail Hawk every turn. I honestly don't get why they decided to make that the only option you could playtest against.

bigkrev

They've finally officially retired Extended. October 8, 2013 is the last day they can be ran.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/07222013

Extended used to be an awesome format. They killed it when they turned it into Double Standard, but really, it died for me when it Rotated and took away Tempest-Masques, which were the sets I learned how to play on.

I still feel there is a need for a rotating format. 5 years from now, when Legacy is basically dead and Modern has a gigantic card pool, a 6-8 block rotating format would be welcome. They could use it as the format for the 4th Pro Tour, and the popularity of Modern would help cards keep value after rotation.

kirblar

Extended used to be an awesome format. They killed it when they turned it into Double Standard, but really, it died for me when it Rotated and took away Tempest-Masques, which were the sets I learned how to play on.

I still feel there is a need for a rotating format. 5 years from now, when Legacy is basically dead and Modern has a gigantic card pool, a 6-8 block rotating format would be welcome. They could use it as the format for the 4th Pro Tour, and the popularity of Modern would help cards keep value after rotation.
Players just won't support a second rotating format. Also, expect to start seeing a lot more reprints in Standard, especially w/ manabases. There aren't a lot of "good" land designs left.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";72061921]So what is FTV? They just bring back old cards every once in a while?[/QUOTE]
Product done once a year. Designed as an item aimed straight at "collectors" because it's a limited run set with special foiling (that makes it rough to play in a competitive deck not mostly made of foils.) But it's also designed as a "bonus" to local stores. They get 12-18 of em, and then the actual retail value far exceeds the MSRP.

Product is explicitly NOT aimed to help address accessibility issues.

bigkrev

Players just won't support a second rotating format. Also, expect to start seeing a lot more reprints in Standard, especially w/ manabases. There aren't a lot of "good" land designs left.

But people Did for over a decade. Extended used to be super popular. It's popularity downfall came from both the shrinking of the card pool to 4 blocks, and the rise of SCG opens pushing Legacy. I just feel that card avalibility (which WOTC seems to have no desire to fix) is going to leave Legacy dead in 5 years or so, as cards get lost to attrition (people putting their collection in the closet, cards getting worn and destroyed) and the player base continues to grow. The only reason the SCG Opens haven't switched to Modern yet is because SCG likes making money on Legacy cards.

kirblar

But people Did for over a decade. Extended used to be super popular. It's popularity downfall came from both the shrinking of the card pool to 4 blocks, and the rise of SCG opens pushing Legacy. I just feel that card avalibility (which WOTC seems to have no desire to fix) is going to leave Legacy dead in 5 years or so, as cards get lost to attrition (people putting their collection in the closet, cards getting worn and destroyed) and the player base continues to grow. The only reason the SCG Opens haven't switched to Modern yet is because SCG likes making money on Legacy cards.
Extended was super-popular until they started rotating it. They even kept the Dual Lands (and ONLY the dual lands) in when they rotated it out due to player backlash. When they finally rotated them out, people moved to Legacy en masse.

OnPoint

Modern will jump to Legacy prices quickly if Legacy is retired out of SCG tournaments.

bigkrev

Modern will jump to Legacy prices quickly if Legacy is retired out of SCG tournaments.

The difference is, WOTC is willing to reprint cards for Modern, and there is no Reserved list. With the exception of Confidant and Tarmagoyf (2 cards that are more Legacy cards than Modern cards), they managed to drop the price of almost every card in Modern Masters, and there will eventually be a MM 2. I don't think its ever going to get super expensive, I don't know anything about print runs, but would it be wrong to say there are at least 100 times more copies of each Shockland than of each Dual Land?

Home

My LGS is awesome and let people reserve FTV:20 ahead of time and is selling it at MSRP. I dislike the foiling process they use on these cards but it won't stop me from using them in tournaments.

Next week I'll be heading to Amsterdam for the World Magic Cup as a member of Team Canada. I'm pretty excited but I've never actually traveled internationally on a plane so that should be interesting.

Not so stealth brag

OnPoint

My LGS is awesome and let people reserve FTV:20 ahead of time and is selling it at MSRP. I dislike the foiling process they use on these cards but it won't stop me from using them in tournaments.

Next week I'll be heading to Amsterdam for the World Magic Cup as a member of Team Canada. I'm pretty excited but I've never actually traveled internationally on a plane so that should be interesting.

Not so stealth brag

Good for you man! Make MagiGAF proud!

Not so stealth brag

woah that's cool. report back how it went

So more details for the Theros event metagame have been released regarding those Hero cards.

In short:

• You can get one Hero card at the pre-release - it will be in a special booster that you get at the pre-release.
  • You can get one more at the release event - apparently you have to solve some sort of puzzle (i.e., look up the answer online).
  • At game day, there will be what amounts to a "boss fight" as a side event. You start the game with your Hero cards in play (the rules for how many or which ones you can use are unclear). They give you special abilities during the match, but you bring your own Standard deck to it. It appears that it will play out much like how Archenemy games play out. The Theros boss is a Hydra.
  • This pattern will repeat for all three set releases. There will be a special promo for finishing the final confrontation in the third set.

They're really trying to entice you to come to all of the special events, but so far they haven't shown that you get anything that's playable in Standard, so it seems like something you could ignore if you really want.

kirblar

So more details for the Theros event metagame have been released regarding those Hero cards.

In short:

• You can get one Hero card at the pre-release - it will be in a special booster that you get at the pre-release.
  • You can get one more at the release event - apparently you have to solve some sort of puzzle (i.e., look up the answer online).
  • At game day, there will be what amounts to a "boss fight" as a side event. You start the game with your hero cards in play (the rules for how many or which ones you can use are unclear). It appears that it will play out much like how Archenemy games play out. The Theros boss is a Hydra.
  • This pattern will repeat for all three set releases. There will be a special promo for finishing the final confrontation in the third set.

They're really trying to entice you to come to all of the special events, but so far they haven't shown that you get anything that's playable in Standard, so it seems like something you could ignore if you really want.
Yeah, I'm not seeing the appeal.

bigkrev

In short:

• At game day, there will be what amounts to a "boss fight" as a side event. You start the game with your Hero cards in play (the rules for how many or which ones you can use are unclear). They give you special abilities during the match, but you bring your own Standard deck to it. It appears that it will play out much like how Archenemy games play out. The Theros boss is a Hydra.

I read the article twice and was still confused. That is probably a bad sign.

Kacar

Can the big blue 7 mana primordial that lets you cast spells from an opponents graveyards let you do the overload cast?

Like Mizzium Mortars for example.

Can the big blue 7 mana primordial that lets you cast spells from an opponents graveyards let you do the overload cast?

Like Mizzium Mortars for example.

No, you can't. From Gatherer:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=366326

If you cast a card “without paying its mana cost,” you can't pay alternative costs such as overload costs. You can pay additional costs such as kicker costs. If the card has mandatory additional costs, you must pay those.

Wichu

I read the article twice and was still confused. That is probably a bad sign.

Go to events, get Hero cards, use them to fight 'boss' decks at Game Days.

The boss decks seem very similar to the Horde game type (presumably intentionally). I've never played Horde myself, but I've heard it's a fun variation. Hopefully the boss decks (and Hero cards) will be available separately after the events in which they appear - I won't have much time for them as I'm in my final year of university :(

Spirit3

Just getting back into Magic after a 7 year hiatus, was wondering if a Vampire heavy deck would be a good idea or a bad idea? Have been playing the 2014 game and really liked the look of some of the black cards.

kirblar

So the current modern flavor of the month? Mill! It's actually winning (sorta), making top 4 in the latest MTGO Premiere event and seeing multiple 4-0s and 3-1s in dailies.

It's the fourth place list here:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/digital/MagicOnlineTourn.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/tourn/5712188

If you play online, the pieces have been shooting up in value lately, so don't think you can get this cheap right now. But if you have the pieces, it looks like it could be fun.
It's finally viable!

edit: Glimpse is going to get a massive bump off this. SCG's at the low end of market price right now, which indicates a pricing error.

It's finally viable!

It beats infinite life combos, doesn't care (much) about creature removal, can strip Twin and Scapeshift of win conditions with maindeck surgicals, and (most importantly) it doesn't have to worry about a fast aggro deck in the format right now (Infect, Affinity, and Zoo are all paltry portions of the metagame compared to what it used to look like a few months ago). And it gets to run four copies of Ancestral Recall, so that's cool.

I always enjoy seeing people exploit soft spots in the metagame with crazy decks like this.

And Glimpse is already shooting up (the price is even higher than this shows right now; they just haven't updated their database yet):

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/card/Glimpse+the+Unthinkable+[RAV]

ultron87

Just getting back into Magic after a 7 year hiatus, was wondering if a Vampire heavy deck would be a good idea or a bad idea? Have been playing the 2014 game and really liked the look of some of the black cards.

I don't think there's been a top tier vampire deck in Standard recently, but there are plenty of powerful vampires in the Innistrad block that you could certainly build a deck out of.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea if you're talking standard you can make a pretty solid red/black vampire deck. It's not going to take down any serious events but would be good for some casual FNM fun.

Hero

One or two hits and SS is done, no?

Surgical Valakut and/or Scapeshift seems like game over.

The other week in Legacy I was playing against a lands.dec and had two Surgical in my opening 7. End of my turn he goes Intuition for Life for the Loam, Dark Depths and Thespian Stage, I give him the Stage. Surgical both LffL and DD, it was glorious.

kirblar

Surgical Valakut and/or Scapeshift seems like game over.

The other week in Legacy I was playing against a lands.dec and had two Surgical in my opening 7. End of my turn he goes Intuition for Life for the Loam, Dark Depths and Thespian Stage, I give him the Stage. Surgical both LffL and DD, it was glorious.
What deck were you playing? DD isn't even scary in legacy as long as you have Swords.

Hero

What deck were you playing? DD isn't even scary in legacy as long as you have Swords.

Deathblade. It wasn't scary but game one was super drawn out between Punishing Fires on my dudes except for GoST and then he got Glacial Chasm out with Exploration and Lfftl out. It took 40 minutes to kill him because I needed to draw Vindicate and Snapcaster Vindicate to kill the Chasm and his Thespian Stage that could've copied it.

kirblar

Deathblade. It wasn't scary but game one was super drawn out between Punishing Fires on my dudes except for GoST and then he got Glacial Chasm out with Exploration and Lfftl out. It took 40 minutes to kill him because I needed to draw Vindicate and Snapcaster Vindicate to kill the Chasm and his Thespian Stage that could've copied it.
Oh, yeah, I definitely wouldn't have burned the second surgical if P.Fire was around.

kirblar

Wait there's another set coming soon? Can someone elaborate? Sorry!
FTV sets are collectors oriented sets that are sent to stores in limited quantities, and are essentially a yearly "bonus" for the store, since their "real" retail price is never the actual MSRP.

Hero

Oh, yeah, I definitely wouldn't have burned the second surgical if P.Fire was around.

Yeah, if it was a serious event I would've saved the second but it was just a casual weekly event and we only had 5 minutes for game two anyway, there was no way he was going to deal 20 points of damage with Fire, just felt like doing it to be funny since everyone else was watching our match.

OnPoint

Fat Pack today to do some sealed building with a friend. Archangel of Thune and a Mutavault. Pretty happy with that.

He pulled a Hydra, too. Lucky night for us.

Top Bottom