• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Crocodile

Calling Daybreak Coronet or Imperial Mask as the Futureshifted card (as I doubt Aura Swap is coming back).

Huh, am I missing something? Will X ever not be 4? Can you voluntarily overspend on a card?

Each time she dies and you recast her from the Command Zone, you'll have to spend an extra 2 colorless mana per EDH rules. So that will affect the first ability.

An-Det

New card frame color for the gods: (this is Erebos)

IVat9Pu.jpg

An-Det

Unlike the SDCC disaster, this is amazing for the game, due to where the profits head. (Straight to paying off a store's rent for the year.)

Yup, much better this way. Also, for your over/under, if Jace is foil then easily over $500 for FTV 20.

kirblar

So as a store do you keep your word on $60 pre-orders or do you ask everyone who did to cough up a couple hundred more?
You keep it. I did make an immediate call to an owner I know warning him not to accept MSRP preorders (he normally did them for regulars, but this is not a normal "eh, it's just $35 a person") thing.

bigkrev

I doubt this Jace will be priced as high as the non-foil WWK one, much less the foil one. Aren't FTV foils barely tournament legal due to warping issues, anyway?

Also, they said that the cards came from winning decks... What deck used Guilded Lotus?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I would like to believe that FTV:20 will be different than previous FTV, simply for the fact that this is the only thing they're doing for the 20th anniversary. I would like to believe they'll print enough product to make it affordable to the average player, as a thank you for making the game the success it is today.

I would like to believe they're not putting out a $400 product as their "thanks."

kirblar

I would like to believe that FTV:20 will be different than previous FTV, simply for the fact that this is the only thing they're doing for the 20th anniversary. I would like to believe they'll print enough product to make it affordable to the average player, as a thank you for making the game the success it is today.

I would like to believe they're not putting out a $400 product as their "thanks."
The massive markup helps support local game stores, which is why I like it.

Jace isn't getting unbanned in Modern, like, ever, so its not a problem there.

It's actually caused him to crash on MTGO though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The massive markup helps support local game stores, which is why I like it.

Jace isn't getting unbanned in Modern, like, ever, so its not a problem there.

It's actually caused him to crash on MTGO though.

Yeah, that's the popular saying about it. I don't buy it, personally. I think we've had that particular debate though.

kirblar

Yeah, that's the popular saying about it. I don't buy it, personally. I think we've had that particular debate though.
Running a local store is a terrible business decision if you're simply looking to make money. (Kelly Reid, a trader did it, and within a year regretted it badly.)

They're the same price on MTGO and paper, correct? So Jace will be forced to drop to 40 tix on MTGO?

Sweet. Now all they have to do is put Force in there too and maybe the Legacy scene on MTGO will actually start picking up. If $160 got you a set of Force and Jace, that would do wonders for making Legacy on MTGO actually be a thing.

kirblar

They're the same price on MTGO and paper, correct? So Jace will be forced to drop to 40 tix on MTGO?

Sweet. Now all they have to do is put Force in there too and maybe the Legacy scene on MTGO will actually start picking up. If $160 got you a set of Force and Jace, that would do wonders for making Legacy on MTGO actually be a thing.
It'll crash lower than that. I'm actually expecting them to change the distribution method, though.

What's everyone's favorite sleeves/deckboxes/binders/card boxes, and where would you buy them from?
Sleeves? Ultra Pro Matte. Buy em from Potomac Distribution in VA.

Exokell

Banned
did you guys see sun titan is back, and I bet other giants

Edit: oh nevermind... anyway why are they showing cards with just the art. Pretty lame.

sgjackson

It'll crash lower than that. I'm actually expecting them to change the distribution method, though.

Sleeves? Ultra Pro Matte. Buy em from Potomac Distribution in VA.

I got some Pro Mattes from the card shop I drafted at yesterday because I needed something to draft with that day, but I'll keep Potomac in mind. Those are definitely good prices.

Any thoughts on the other stuff? Now that I have paper cards I'm trying to think about how to store them.

I imagine it'll do something similar to, say, Ajani V on MTGO right now. You can buy him in a duel deck, so the price of the Alara version right now is the price of the duel deck ($20). The price of the duel deck version is something like $8, but you can't actually find it in stock anywhere (likely because the online stores are hoarding it for when the Duel Deck version is no longer being sold). I've been trying for a long time to find $8 Ajani V's, but no luck anywhere.

So I bet the same thing happens here. The price of WWK JTMS drops to $40, the price of FTV20 JTMS is something like $30, but you won't be able to actually find it for that price. If FTV20 has another big money card in it (like the Force that I'm dreaming of), it'll be different of course, but that's my best guess.

They haven't limited FTV sets online before, have they? I mean, they could limit them to one per account, but that won't do anything. I imagine they'll just sell it for a limited time and that will be that. They don't view MTGO shops as business partners the same they they view LGS's, so I don't think they care nearly as much about how they affect that market.

From MaRo's tumblr (regarding Theros)

• It is to Greek mythology what Innistrad was to gothic horror
  • Top-down design
  • First time I (Mark Rosewater) lead the design and Erik Lauer led the development since Innistrad
  • The block has an enchantment theme somehow connected to the gods
  • The set has gods, heroes and monsters. Each has a new mechanic tied to it
  • Of the other two mechanics, one is a repeated mechanic brought back that strongly hits the flavor of Greek mythology; the second is a mechanic that we thought had potential but didn’t live up to it first time out - it has been mechanically retweaked and given a new name and flavor. The last mechanics is also tied to the gods
  • There will be more legendary permanents than normal - not Kamigawa but above average
  • The set’s tone is one of accomplishment and adventure
  • Not a lot of tribal but minotaurs get some love
  • Many nods to elements of the stories of Greek myth
  • 3 planeswalkers - Elspeth and two new ones
  • A few gold cards but mostly monocolored with a little monocolored theme
  • A Future Sight card and the set does something we’ve never done before except on another Future Sight card.

Any speculation on which Future Sight card? I've seen people talking about Lucent Liminid, Arcanum Wings, and Daybreak Coronet...

Wichu

Man, I hope FTV:20 has new art for all the cards. I need that Cruel Ultimatum.

Also, HELL YEAH KOBOLDS OF KHER KEEP

bigkrev

Notes from PAXAus (via twitter)

-M14 is the last set to not have a "Gimmick" for the prerelease, such as Helvault or the Guild Packs
-They are working on Redemption from paper-to-MODO, but it will start with things like Precons, not random packs.
-Thrun would not have been printed under the new legend rule.
- No Elves in Theros!

JulianImp

So I finally played the first prerelease event at my LGS today with eight other players. My rares were Ajani, Haunted Plate Mail, Trading Post, Quicken, Chandra's Phoenix and Oath of the Ancient Wood, and I ended up playing the following UGw deck:

Lands (16)
3 Plains
6 Island
7 Forest

Creatures(11)
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Kalonian Tusker
1 Seacoast Drake
1 Phantom Warrior
1 Advocate of the Beast
1 Griffin Centinel
1 Rootwalla
2 Giant Spider
1 Nephalia Seakite
1 Briarpack Alpha

Other spells(14)
1 Ranger's Guile
2 Lay of the Land
2 Essence Scatter
1 Pacifism
1 Time Ebb
1 Claustrophobia
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
1 Glimpse the Future
1 Haunted Plate Armor
1 Trading Post
1 Illusionary Armor
1 Opportunity

I had overall weak creatures, but so did most of my opponents. Anything with more than three toughness slowed down attacks to a crawl, and fliers were really important. I was really happy with how nearly all my cards managed to pull their weight throughout the tournament, with Advocate of the Beast being the only card that didn't do that much at all. The cards that helped me the most besides the obvious removal cards or fliers were Trading Post (repeatable life gain saved me from losing a really tough game, and the tokens were great to chump block large stuff or give them Ajani's blessings when no other creatures were around), Opportunity (it set up ridiculous late-game turns and got me out of really tight spots every single time I played it) and Ajani, which had a huge impact on the board every time I played him (that was all games I drew him in, due to the slow game speed).

The format seemed really slow, and the two aggro-ish decks I played against couldn't get their act together at all, which gave me enough time to draw into answers for their puny creatures while I built a modest board position and tried to keep the advantage. My 1/3 fliers were unconstested most of the time, and Giant Spider always put a full stop to my opponents' airborne offense (almost like a Pillarfield Ox impersonator!).

I ended up going 4-0 (8-1-0), which got me four packs plus the entry prize pack; everyone got a pack for playing, and only the remaining one was added to the pot. With this mode, you're guaranteed to get a prize even if you don't do that well, at the cost of cutting prizes for the best players, a move everyone at the store is fine with, luckily.

In the prize packs I got there was a Mutavault, Planar Cleansing, Dark Prophecy, Garruk's Horde and Door of Destinies. Dark Prophecy was interesting, and Mutavault made me really happy, even if the other rares I pulled weren't that good. My pool's rares were all cards I like, even if the better ones were reprints, so I feel it was a good prerelease overall.

I only wish I could've gotten my hands on some Young Pyromancer, though, which nobody opened except for a kid who got two and wanted to keep them. A really interesting fact is that all five planeswalkers were opened (with a foil Garruk, even!), and there were three or four mythics other than PWs among our pools (a dragon, the angel-creating sorcery, a demon and some other card I can't remember).

ultron87

-They are working on Redemption from paper-to-MODO, but it will start with things like Precons, not random packs.

Does this mean getting digital copies of a physical Intro or Event Deck while still keeping your paper cards? That sounds way too forward thinking for a Wizards digital strategy.

the ring of three wishes artwork kinda bugs me, but maybe that's just me.
Why is that? I think the M14 art for the ring is really nice.. evil face shows the greed :p

I cannot wait for Theros! I love Greek mythology, and so far the art and feel gives me good vibes, which considering this is another top-down block is reason to be excited. I've never bothered to go to a pre-release (I'm a super-casual player with just a few friends who play), but for Theros so far I'm in.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot why I visited the GAF MTG OT: is there any place to watch this year's Comic Con presentation (hopefully with cool Theros stuff)? Last year Wizard's had a stream, but I can't find one for 2013.

bigkrev

Does this mean getting digital copies of a physical Intro or Event Deck while still keeping your paper cards? That sounds way too forward thinking for a Wizards digital strategy.

Event decks probably not, but putting a code in the box of Precons to create a MTGO account, and give them the deck online seems reasonable.

Negator

I played the mono red dynacharge deck last night at FNM.

That deck can get some seriously ridiculous nutdraws. Turn 3/4 kills were not uncommon at all.

The only games I lost was where I would keep one land hands and not draw a second land for five turns or so.

Deck needs Mutavaults though.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Event decks probably not, but putting a code in the box of Precons to create a MTGO account, and give them the deck online seems reasonable.
That sounds great for someone like me, where some of my magic playing buddies just moved away, so it would be great to play with them again.

Theros looks so much better than Ravnica, I must say. Loving the flavor. Just hoping for a new Vraska too in this set, because flavor-wise it seemed too good to pass up.

sgjackson

Oh yeah, I almost forgot why I visited the GAF MTG OT: is there any place to watch this year's Comic Con presentation (hopefully with cool Theros stuff)? Last year Wizard's had a stream, but I can't find one for 2013.

No stream this year. They said they're going to post it online at some point, not sure when.

bigkrev

I played the mono red dynacharge deck last night at FNM.

That deck can get some seriously ridiculous nutdraws. Turn 3/4 kills were not uncommon at all.

The only games I lost was where I would keep one land hands and not draw a second land for five turns or so.

Deck needs Mutavaults though.

Post the list?

JulianImp

I don't get why they couldn't just let you trade the codes from several packs (six?) for a MODO booster from the same expansion. Couldn't they just make the free booster cards non-redeemable in the same fashion some Team Fortress 2 items can't be traded?

I'm also seriously considering getting FTV20 from my local games store, both because I like the cards and to support them, as they have the player community I like the most out of all the stores I've ever gone to.

bigkrev

What is From the Vault 20 exactly?

It's this years FTV product. FTV is a yearly product from WOTC designed to be a "Thank You" to stores- it is exclusively sold to Brick and Mortar stores in limited quantities, with an MSRP of 34.99 they expect the store to disregard and jack up in order to make money. They include 15 cards adhearing to a theme (Dragons, Legends, Lands have been previous sets), foiled in a special way that makes the cards look super ugly and warp to the point of not being tournament playable (my opinion, at least). They normally put high value cards in these sets- Sensei's Divining Top, Maze of Ith, Mox Diamond and Berserk are all cards that have been featured in this set. The reason people are loosing their shit is because Jace, The Mind Sculptor is announced for this set, a card that foil copies of regularly command 500ish dollars.

f0rk

Might actual get the EDH pre con with that grixis vampire, hopefully it is filled with sweet spells but even if it isn't there the colours I want to be in. Casting a Cruel Ultimatum off of her attack on turn 5 would be sick.

What is From the Vault 20 exactly?
It's like the past ftv sets but for the 20th anniversary, it will have one iconic card from a competitive deck from every year.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";71963041]Theros is sounding really good. All the art looks awesome.[/QUOTE]
I think the "Hero" card thing is going to fall really flat. I get what they're attempting but this stuff hasn't worked previously because no one ultimately cares. Set itself sounds great though.

Hero

So Modern Masters, DotP 2014, Black on Black SDCC exclusive promo, m2014 and now Jace in FTV:20 in the span of three months.

Expensive season to be a Magic player.

bigkrev

So Modern Masters, DotP 2014, Black on Black SDCC exclusive promo, m2014 and now Jace in FTV:20 in the span of three months.

Expensive season to be a Magic player.

You say that, but if your someone that just wants to play standard, you can ignore almost everything that was released.

Top Bottom