• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Where do you guys look for winning NEW deck lists?
I know that Magic's website posts some, is that where I should look?
I've been out for a few releases and instead of spending money on a box or something I'd like to just order cards online.

I'll still crack some boosters for fun but I want to come out swinging.

Any help? Or would you specifically recommend something to me?

And on a side note, every time I buy a Duels of the Planeswalkers it gets me back into paper magic. I know that is probably Wizards strategy but I admit to falling into it every time. haha

EDIT: Maybe here? http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5270

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Where do you guys look for winning NEW deck lists?
I know that Magic's website posts some, is that where I should look?
I've been out for a few releases and instead of spending money on a box or something I'd like to just order cards online.

I'll still crack some boosters for fun but I want to come out swinging.

Any help? Or would you specifically recommend something to me?

And on a side note, every time I buy a Duels of the Planeswalkers it gets me back into paper magic. I know that is probably Wizards strategy but I admit to falling into it every time. haha

EDIT: Maybe here? http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5270

Yup, that's exactly the place. All the best decks, all in one place. Right now, there are about 5-6 great decks and a ton of tier 2 but still competitive decks. Pick one that suits your philosophy and go to town.

Proxy first, if need be to save on the scrilla

Yup, that's exactly the place. All the best decks, all in one place. Right now, there are about 5-6 great decks and a ton of tier 2 but still competitive decks. Pick one that suits your philosophy and go to town.

Proxy first, if need be to save on the scrilla

Thank you! Looking at this months 'decks to beat' this one looks kind of interesting.

Bant Hexproof - Franck Sparta

And I'm thankful to see that rare dual-lands are still in standard. Is there ever a fear that they won't be reprinted in a new core set?

Well, they were just not printed in the just released M14 core set. There are no dual lands in that set at all.

LOL fail on my part
Doesn't a new core set nullify previous core set cards?

EDIT: To clarify, I've never really specifically followed standard rules. I've pretty much only casual played but going forward I'd like to do standard tournaments and FNM, etc.

EDIT #2: I found my answer.

Updated July 10, 2013

Constructed decks must contain a minimum of sixty cards. There is no maximum deck size; however, you must be able to shuffle your deck with no assistance. If a player wishes to use a sideboard, it must contain exactly fifteen cards.

With the exception of basic land cards, a player’s combined deck and sideboard may not contain more than four of any individual card, counted by its English card title equivalent. All cards named Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest are basic.

The following card sets are permitted in Standard tournaments:

Innistrad (until September 27, 2013)
Dark Ascension (until September 27, 2013)
Avacyn Restored (until September 27, 2013)
Magic 2013 (until September 27, 2013)
Return to Ravnica
Gatecrash
Dragon's Maze
Magic 2014 (effective July 19, 2013)
Theros (effective September 27, 2013)

So I should stay away from everything pre-Return to Ravnica if I want to somewhat future-proof (play past September) a deck?

WanderingWind

LOL fail on my part
Doesn't a new core set nullify previous core set cards?

EDIT: To clarify, I've never really specifically followed standard rules. I've pretty much only casual played but going forward I'd like to do standard tournaments and FNM, etc.

That would make sense, but no. M13 doesn't rotate out until the September release of Theros.

rCIZZLE

I don't wear hats. They make me look like I'm missing a few chromosones.

I ended up briefly meeting some guy at our hotel who was rooming with a shardless bug player in the top 8. Saw your post and thought that may have been you before seeing there were 4 with that deck in the top 8 lol.

As far as the open goes, I ended up playing maverick and dropping after losing to jund for a 3rd time to finish at 5-3-1 (draw=enchantress). That matchup is demoralizing.

kirblar

I ended up briefly meeting some guy at our hotel who was rooming with a shardless bug player in the top 8. Saw your post and thought that may have been you before seeing there were 4 with that deck in the top 8 lol.

As far as the open goes, I ended up playing maverick and dropping after losing to jund for a 3rd time to finish at 5-3-1 (draw=enchantress). That matchup is demoralizing.
Maverick is not a real
deck.:((

Hero

Yeah Maverick just got pushed out of the format.

That last game in the finals of the Legacy Open was painful.

Seeing the D&T player snap double block the Batterskull Germ was just insane. Not sure why you would give up that card advantage to gamble on going to a Batterskull war when your opponent has an active Jitte.

kirblar

Yeah Maverick just got pushed out of the format.

That last game in the finals of the Legacy Open was painful.

Seeing the D&T player snap double block the Batterskull Germ was just insane. Not sure why you would give up that card advantage to gamble on going to a Batterskull war when your opponent has an active Jitte.
Guy pulled a gustcloak Mori on camera in R10. Watched it happen live. Scum/Idiot/etc.

Yeah, I'll check my list after my morning meeting. Missing a bunch of robots. But we can settle this quick if you have life bane zombies and or mind sparklers

I haven't collected standard since Dark Ascension so chances are I wouldn't have any type 2 cards from sets after that. Sorry. I really don't have the time to keep up with standard nowadays.

WanderingWind

I'm trying to figure out what this means but have only gotten as far as Mori being a player who cheated a lot. What'd the guy do?

The Internet tells me it's because Mori used to fake a language barrier issue that allowed him to undo misplays. "Oh, I didn't mean to attack, let me untap now that I've seen you reach for your mana."

Sort of like Gustcloak Harrier does. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=39432

I haven't collected standard since Dark Ascension so chances are I wouldn't have any type 2 cards from sets after that. Sorry. I really don't have the time to keep up with standard nowadays.

Ah, ok.

Any Gaffers want to trade?

HAVE
http://deckbox.org/sets/197236?s=j&o=d
Chandra, Pyromaster
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Ajani, Caller of the Pride FOIL
Darksteel Forge
Xathrid Necromancer
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Blackcleave Cliffs
Mizzium Mortars
Rhox Faithmender
Desecration Demon
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Ratchet Bomb PROMO
Dark Prophecy
Ratchet Bomb
Silence
Haunted Plate Mail
Liliana's Reaver
Young Pyromancer

WANT
http://deckbox.org/sets/197237?s=j&o=d
Sliver Overlord
Pristine Angel
Pariah's Shield
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Sliver Queen
Sliver Legion
Glimpse the Unthinkable
Command Tower
Cavern of Souls
Toxin Sliver
Mirror Entity
Mind Over Matter
Consecrated Sphinx
Coat of Arms
Magma Sliver
Arcanis the Omnipotent
Slivers
EDH Cards
Trading in bulk is ok

@WanderingWind: Deckbox is telling me I have to create an account to view your trades, so when I get home from work I'll make one and we can work out a trade if you haven't found anyone else to trade by then.

kirblar

The Internet tells me it's because Mori used to fake a language barrier issue that allowed him to undo misplays. "Oh, I didn't mean to attack, let me untap now that I've seen you reach for your mana."

Sort of like Gustcloak Harrier does. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=39432

Ah, ok.
The guy attacked with Serra Avenger, Mirran Crusader, and something else. His opponent went to snap block with a Mystic w/ batterskull equipped (attacking player had forgotten it was white, not black) and then he immediately snatched his stuff back trying to pretend he hadn't just done that.

The guy attacked with Serra Avenger, Mirran Crusader, and something else. His opponent went to snap block with a Mystic w/ batterskull equipped (attacking player had forgotten it was white, not black) and then he immediately snatched his stuff back trying to pretend he hadn't just done that.

I think it's partly the defending players fault for not having the attacker clearly recognize he's passing priority.

It's the same thing when I cast Cabal therapy

Opponent : what are you naming?
Me : does it resolve?
Opponent : Alright, yes, what are you naming?
Me : (names card)
Opponent : alright, i'll counter
Me : Too late

kirblar

I think it's partly the defending players fault for not having the attacker clearly recognize he's passing priority.
It is not. He needed to snap call the judge who was sitting right next to him. The Therapy situation is different because that's a result of an opponent not understanding how the card works.

WanderingWind

@WanderingWind: Deckbox is telling me I have to create an account to view your trades, so when I get home from work I'll make one and we can work out a trade if you haven't found anyone else to trade by then.

Cool man. I PM'd you too. Just let me know what you're looking for, I'll let you know if I have it.

Of all the damn cards....stupid ass Mindsparker and Lifebane Zombie are necessities for my next 2 FNM decks. Mono colors, because I'm bored with 3 color everything.

JulianImp

Cool man. I PM'd you too. Just let me know what you're looking for, I'll let you know if I have it.

Of all the damn cards....stupid ass Mindsparker and Lifebane Zombie are necessities for my next 2 FNM decks. Mono colors, because I'm bored with 3 color everything.

I really like my lone Mindsparker, because even when you aren't hating on white and blue it gets you a really solid 3/2 first striker, which is enough to handle most ground-pounders (including Thragtusk and its beast companion). On the other hand, the blue color hater was a bit too weak during my own playtesting in Standard, since I often found myself holding it due to its fragile body until a point where playing Dungeon Geists over them would be a lot more rewarding, both due to their larget P/T and their ability to fly over most blockers.

Now that you mention hating on colors, I think I might add some Tectonic Edge to my izzet deck, since it's a lot better for neutralizing utility lands and setting opponents back than Ghost Quarter. The hit it'd have on my manabase, however, would warrant two copies at most, since I don't feel like I can run too many colorless-generating lands if I intend to cast Izzet Charm and overloaded Mizzium Mortars fast and reliably enough.

WanderingWind

I really like my lone Mindsparker, because even when you aren't hating on white and blue it gets you a really solid 3/2 first striker, which is enough to handle most ground-pounders (including Thragtusk and its beast companion). On the other hand, the blue color hater was a bit too weak during my own playtesting in Standard, since I often found myself holding it due to its fragile body until a point where playing Dungeon Geists over them would be a lot more rewarding, both due to their larget P/T and their ability to fly over most blockers.

Now that you mention hating on colors, I think I might add some Tectonic Edge to my izzet deck, since it's a lot better for neutralizing utility lands and setting opponents back than Ghost Quarter. The hit it'd have on my manabase, however, would warrant two copies at most, since I don't feel like I can run too many colorless-generating lands if I intend to cast Izzet Charm and overloaded Mizzium Mortars fast and reliably enough.

Mono-red only needs another good 2 drop from Theros and a 2 CMC burn spell to continue to be good. I really feel as if this deck is underrepresented because people are infatuated right now with doing the durdliest shit possible to win. I know it's not the best deck, but in the right hands, it's a competitive deck. Especially because of the addition of Burning Earth and Mindsparker to keep it from being a strictly linear deck.

And the mono-black control(ish) deck I'm brewing? It's going to win FNM this week. Watch. Then TWoo will brew with it. Then Reid Duke will pick it up and Top 8 Theros.

It's gonna happen.

kirblar

YUGIOHDAD.com is live! (replacement for MTGMOM.com) I know who's running it, and it should be mostly automated, unlike Megan's site.

The problem with Burning Earth decks right now is that Mono-Red is not normally the deck that can leverage Manabarbs effects well. It's an awkward position for the card, because it wants a more mid-rangey deck.

I'm switching back to Bant. The nonsense that had been happening in the DGM era is gone now.

unreon

It's the same thing when I cast Cabal therapy

Opponent : Alright, yes, what are you naming?
Me : (names card)
Opponent : alright, i'll counter
Me : Too late
Oh, I didn't know this about certain cards. So what differentiates this from say, a Lightning Bolt? Do you have to point to the creature when the card says "target", then they can decide to counter or not? As opposed to Cabal Therapy, which requires you to "target a player", but then just asks you to "Name" a card after the spell resolves?

ultron87

Oh, I didn't know this about certain cards. So what differentiates this from say, a Lightning Bolt? Do you have to point to the creature when the card says "target", then they can decide to counter or not? As opposed to Cabal Therapy, which requires you to "target a player", but then just asks you to "Name" a card after the spell resolves?

That's exactly it. Anything that says "Target" you have to name as you cast the spell. So the opponent can respond using that info. Generally if something doesn't say Target it gets chosen upon resolution (unless it is something regarding the spell's effect like picking the mode of a Charm or whether to pay additional costs).

Targets are chosen when they are put onto the stack. Same with costs. They are paid when they enter the stack.

The effect of Cabal therapy is that when it resolves, you name a card. It is not targeting a card therefore it is not spoken for until the spell resolves.

This isn't a caveat of the word "Name". It is just that targets have to be chosen when the spell enters the stack. Nothing else is specified when the spell is on the stack besides its cmc

Negator

It's also very similar to how Detention Sphere works. You do not have to announce any targets until it resolves.

Kind of like how if you have a sac outlet and your opponent controls a non-land permanent, you can, say, sacrifice your creatures with Detention Sphere on the stack and have no non-land permanents left, forcing the Detention Sphere player to exile his own non-land permanent. I've gotten some control players to exile their own planeswalkers this way.

ultron87

It's also very similar to how Detention Sphere works. You do not have to announce any targets until it resolves.

Kind of like how if you have a sac outlet and your opponent controls a non-land permanent, you can, say, sacrifice your creatures with Detention Sphere on the stack and have no non-land permanents left, forcing the Detention Sphere player to exile his own non-land permanent. I've gotten some control players to exile their own planeswalkers this way.

Detention Sphere says "may". So they never have to do it. Oblivion Ring on the other hand...

unreon

That's exactly it. Anything that says "Target" you have to name as you cast the spell. So the opponent can respond using that info. Generally if something doesn't say Target it gets chosen upon resolution (unless it is something regarding the spell's effect like picking the mode of a Charm or whether to pay additional costs).
Targets are chosen when they are put onto the stack. Same with costs. They are paid when they enter the stack.

The effect of Cabal therapy is that when it resolves, you name a card. It is not targeting a card therefore it is not spoken for until the spell resolves.

This isn't a caveat of the word "Name". It is just that targets have to be chosen when the spell enters the stack. Nothing else is specified when the spell is on the stack besides its cmc
I know they're mostly not played anymore, but so this includes kicker? You have to pay the kicker cost as the spell comes into play?

rCIZZLE

Yeah Maverick just got pushed out of the format..

It's definitely not in the same place it was prior to terminus/DRS/liliana but it's definitely still relevant just due to consistency and ability to adapt to most matchups. A competitive deck that I enjoy is really all I look for in any format.

I know they're mostly not played anymore, but so this includes kicker? You have to pay the kicker cost as the spell comes into play?

You would announce your intention and pay.

I. E. I play Gatekeeper of Malakir kicked and then pay 1BBB. You cannot cast gatekeeper then later announce that you would like to kick it.

Kicker is an additional cost, so it follows the same rules as normal costs.

Same applies to X spells. You cannot increase or decrease X to accommodate for changes after you cast the spell. It's locked in the moment you put it onto the stack.

Conveniently, JudgeCast just had an episode all about what actually happens behind the scenes when you cast a spell, and in what order things happen. It's an hour long, but it'll answer just about any questions you could possible have about this stuff:

http://judgecast.com/?p=531

In short:

1. Put spell on the stack.
  2. Make any decisions (choose modes, decide additional/alternate costs).
  3. Declare targets.
  4. Declare distribution of effects (damage, counters, etc) among targets.
  5. Determine the cost of the spell.
  6. Activate mana abilities.
  7. Pay the cost of the spell.

There are some amusing and bizarre edge cases discussed in the episode. It's worth a listen.

Top Bottom