• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

f0rk

It's just a modified WoW TCG. I'm curious.

Does the lack of land in other TCGs limit the things you can do with your curve? I mean if you don't need to worry about hitting land drops it seems every deck will want to be doing something big eventually. Or are aggro decks quick enough that it doesn't matter?

edit: actually that might be a stupid question. I keep thinking about getting into these online games as they are cheaper than mtgo but to me they all look to simple in comparison. It seems they all strip out mechanics (like instant speed) without replacing them with anything interesting.

kirblar

Does the lack of land in other TCGs limit the things you can do with your curve? I mean if you don't need to worry about hitting land drops it seems every deck will want to be doing something big eventually. Or are aggro decks quick enough that it doesn't matter?

edit: actually that might be a stupid question. I keep thinking about getting into these online games as they are cheaper than mtgo but to me they all look to simple in comparison. It seems they all strip out mechanics (like instant speed) without replacing them with anything interesting.
Instant Speed is what makes MTGO a nightmare. They have it in WoW, though, but took it out for this.

cametall

If I attack with a creature that has regenerate, combat ends and said creature now has 1 hp. Opponent uses Shock, can I cast regenerate even if my card tapped?

My friends and I are lost with this...

kirblar

If I attack with a creature that has regenerate, combat ends and said creature now has 1 hp. Opponent uses Shock, can I cast regenerate even if my card tapped?

My friends and I are lost with this...
Yes. Regeneration just taps it, even if its already tapped. It's why you can regenerate a tapped creature.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I've been sick all day so I brewed a mono-colored deck of each color and played it.

Mono-green is legitimately a standard deck
Mono-red is too
Mono-black is sort of not that great
Mono-white is hilarious because of the table flipping when you win, but pretty much sucks
Mono-blue. Well, that's just a terrible deck.

Congrats! What did you change out?

Thanks! I replaced cards with a play set of Rakdos Cackler, Spike Jester, Slaughter Games, Dreadbore, Vampire Nighthawk, and a single Rakdos's Return and Lave Axe.

After the FNM I took the next step and I removed the mechanic that the deck originally started from. It was using the Bogbrew Witch, Festering Newt and Bubbling Cauldron mechanic, which is fun but can be slow and without a play set of Bogbrew it usually doesn't come into the game. So after a trade I put in a single Desecration Demon with room for three more.

I also removed some land (dropping me to 22) because I quite often found myself drawing a lot of land which totally sucks whenever I get into a situation where I am top decking.

The Vampire Nighthawks are probably the best add to the deck as far as creatures go. Their flying and lifelink make them just crazy... flying over my opponents head and then gaining me life. Their deathtouch makes players nervous about fighting them without first strike.

With that said, it's also pretty awesome to swing for five damage on turn two with a Rakdos Cackler and a Spike Jester.

I'm a bit leary about my land count, but my most expensive card is Lava Axe for five mana which is typically used closer to the end anyway. Then there's Rakdos's Return which is xBR where x could be anything. I used it last night with five mana, which caused three damage and the opponent to discard the three cards in his hand. Got rid of a Planeswalker; score! Everything else is four or less mana to cast.

WanderingWind

Nice! What's the land count?

Desecration Demon is my new favorite card. I've put him in these two decks and I'm always, always happy to see him. The only deck that he's not good in is tokens.

For instance - this deck, I think, is a legitimate, competitive deck.
i1hddgnl.jpg

This one...this one is strictly FNM status. But I like it. I need suggestions on this though - I feel as if there is a deck here somewhere.
zqRnqtRl.jpg

This is most definitely a FNM deck. It's win/loss ratio is absurd, but I image any control strategy would eat it for breakfast.
wova2qIl.jpg

This one. Well, the name says it all.
kjfZeAgl.jpg

Nice! What's the land count?

Looking at my deck I count 22, I thought that I only dropped it to 23 though so apparently at 1AM I accidentally took out an extra. hah

And your pics are too small, I can't see the cards! I can only make out a few.
Last night I was happy to play a Slaughter Games and say, "Thragtusk".

I wonder if Master of Cruelties is too gimmicky to throw in my deck.

Master%20of%20Cruelties.full.jpg

WanderingWind

Looking at my deck I count 22, I thought that I only dropped it to 23 though so apparently at 1AM I accidentally took out an extra. hah

And your pics are too small, I can't see the cards! I can only make out a few.
Last night I was happy to play a Slaughter Games and say, "Thragtusk".

If you're running some dorks 23ish isn't bad if you're topped out at 5, so seems pretty good. And....fixed the links below.

Golgari said:

Mono-Black said:

Mono-Green said:

White Deck Loses said:

Why do you have exactly one golgari guildgate?

Also, what are the best tips you guys have for building a sideboard? I know stuff like Elixir of Immortality can be good to circumvent milling decks.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";76884575]Why do you have exactly one golgari guildgate?

Also, what are the best tips you guys have for building a sideboard? I know stuff like Elixir of Immortality can be good to circumvent milling decks.[/QUOTE]

Just felt as if I needed the extra choice. The deck is slow moving, so I'm not too concerned with getting one as a later drop.

Got two Ajanis, a Lifebane Zombie and two shocklands today ^_^

Also, why does everybody say that Vraska's ultimate isn't very good? It seems to me that Rogue's Passage was built for it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";76938523]Got two Ajanis, a Lifebane Zombie and two shocklands today ^_^[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh, nice. I'm thinking of trading for a play set of Lifebane Zombie. I think that it would work well in my deck.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";76938523]Got two Ajanis, a Lifebane Zombie and two shocklands today ^_^

Also, why does everybody say that Vraska's ultimate isn't very good? It seems to me that Rogue's Passage was built for it.[/QUOTE]
They hit the PW Ults with the nerf bat starting w/ Innistrad where they don't necessarily win you the game on the spot when they activate. Vraska's is fine, but requires you to have a lot of board conrtrol to be "safe" pulling it off.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";76938523]Also, why does everybody say that Vraska's ultimate isn't very good? It seems to me that Rogue's Passage was built for it.[/QUOTE]

It was a personal goal to assassinate someone in a tournament with 3 UFS Ibukis as tokens. The best opportunity I had was in Junk Tokens before Gatecrash came out. She went ultimate into an empty board against UW Control and, with Golgari Charm as backup, I was sure I had the guy dead. Next turn, my attack got my whole board Cyclonic Rifted back to hand. It just never manages to get anybody. In certain match ups, your opponent may not have an out against it, but in most it's probably best to be content Vindicating more stuff.

zoukka

Some days you lose every single match to a mana screw on modo and curse it to hell. To hell I curse this piece of trash of a game :b

In my last match I drew an actual zero spells... tilt mode time!

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Some days you lose every single match to a mana screw on modo and curse it to hell. To hell I curse this piece of trash of a game :b

In my last match I drew an actual zero spells... tilt mode time!

I drew 6 mountains in a row in the first 8 turns.

My deck only played 6 mountains.

zoukka

I drew 6 mountains in a row in the first 8 turns.

My deck only played 6 mountains.

And it always happens when you have an insane deck that can't lose if it draws 3 lands and some spells... always. Had 2 shocks, 2 outrages, 3 mana elfs, and all the nuts creatures that you want to ramp into. Fuck.

rCIZZLE

So what are the chances that Goryo's gets banned if that deck ever puts up a few good finishes? Modern is starting to get a following in my local shops and I like seeing griselbrand in play (on my side) so I'm thinking of picking up the rest of the pieces. I didn't really follow the other modern decks prior to bannings so I'm wondering about the criteria they use for consideration. Potential turn 2 kills seems like it could cause a panic at WOTC if it happens in a high profile top 8.

kirblar

So what are the chances that Goryo's gets banned if that deck ever puts up a few good finishes? Modern is starting to get a following in my local shops and I like seeing griselbrand in play (on my side) so I'm thinking of picking up the rest of the pieces. I didn't really follow the other modern decks prior to bannings so I'm wondering about the criteria they use for consideration. Potential turn 2 kills seems like it could cause a panic at WOTC if it happens in a high profile top 8.
SSG is the part of that deck (and Living End) to hit if you want to hit something.

rCIZZLE

SSG is the part of that deck (and Living End) to hit if you want to hit something.

There seems like a lot of potentials. Fury of the Horde and Goryo's Vengeance are obviously key to the whole strategy. This seems up there with chancellor burn, which is banned, when talking about possible broken starts.

An-Det

My friend built an amazing Cube a while back, and has been running weekly casual tournaments at the shop for over a year now. It's got full Power and lots of crazy things, it's a blast to play, but Power is expensive (his is beta), so he uses proxies and usually keeps them at home except for the occasional Power Cube events we hold there. So in a few hours I'll be drafting again with these bad boys.

kirblar

There seems like a lot of potentials. Fury of the Horde and Goryo's Vengeance are obviously key to the whole strategy. This seems up there with chancellor burn, which is banned, when talking about possible broken starts.
What on earth is Chancellor Burn? That's not why Blazing Shoal is banned. (That's infect T2ing you.)

What deck to you refer to?

I was happy to Dreadbore a Griselbrand last Friday. hah He seems just nasty.

WanderingWind

My friend built an amazing Cube a while back, and has been running weekly casual tournaments at the shop for over a year now. It's got full Power and lots of crazy things, it's a blast to play, but Power is expensive (his is beta), so he uses proxies and usually keeps them at home except for the occasional Power Cube events we hold there. So in a few hours I'll be drafting again with these bad boys.

I have a boner right now. Is that weird?

rCIZZLE

What on earth is Chancellor Burn? That's not why Blazing Shoal is banned. (That's infect T2ing you.)

Surprised you never heard of Chancellor Burn. Chancellor of the Forge and Blazing Shoal are pretty nasty together and it even used to be a fringe mini-combo for legacy burn. Seems like that T2 infect play is pretty inconsistent too.

What deck to you refer to?

I was happy to Dreadbore a Griselbrand last Friday. hah He seems just nasty.

Not sure what the official name is but I just call it Goryo's Reanimator. It uses Goryo's Vengeance or Through the Breach to "cheat" Griselbrand into play which then draws cards and abuses Fury of the Horde to take extra combat phases for a quick kill. Backup plan is Emrakul to destroy their board and potentially even kill if they took enough damage through cards like thoughtseize, shocklands, and fetchlands.

kirblar

Surprised you never heard of Chancellor Burn. Seems like that T2 infect play is pretty inconsistent too.
Did you not watch PT Philly? It wasn't inconsistent at all and was generally considered the best deck of the tournament, even though it didn't win.

I have a bad habit of feeling the need to always put a play set in my deck.
So I'd like some advice...
I have a single Rakdos's Return and was planning on getting three more, but do you think that's overkill? I prefer to play it while the game is still a bit early to catch them with cards in their hand.
What do you think? I'm about to place an order... lol

Regardless, I am finishing off a play set of Desecration Demon.

WanderingWind

I have a bad habit of feeling the need to always put a play set in my deck.
So I'd like some advice...
I have a single Rakdos's Return and was planning on getting three more, but do you think that's overkill? I prefer to play it while the game is still a bit early to catch them with cards in their hand.
What do you think? I'm about to place an order... lol

Regardless, I am finishing off a play set of Desecration Demon.

I don't think you really ever need more than 2-3, but I'm not a big fan of the card so YMMV

I don't think you really ever need more than 2-3, but I'm not a big fan of the card so YMMV

Thanks, I just needed some prodding.

Perhaps someone would be willing to help me with my deck and suggest some cards to add.

Here is what it is now:
Dragonskull Summit x4
Blood Crypt x4
Mountain x5
Swamp x10

Rakdos Cackler x4
Spike Jester x4
Vampire Nighthawk x4
Desecration Demon x4

Doom Blade x1
Ultimate Price x1
Dreadbore x4
Rakdos's Return x1
Diabolic Tutor x1
Slaughter Games x4
Lava Axe x1

In the deck but could be taken out and replaced:
Liliana's Reaver x1
Rakdos Shred-Freak x2
Act of Treason x1
Thunder Strike x3
Smelt x1

Cards I am thinking of adding:

Master of Cruelties
Rakdos's Return
Skullcrack
Ash Zealot
Lifebane Zombie

An-Det

Not everyone showed up, so we were able to run two cube drafts. I drafted a WB aggro-ish deck in the second one (Mox Pearl and Jet, enlightened tutor->Moat, swords of F+I and F+F, bunch of dudes and ok things and Makeshift Mannequin to get Angel of Despair or Wurmcoil Engine back, went 2-1, it was fun but didn't do anything really broken.

But the first draft I had a bonkers deck with which I absolutely steamrolled the first draft. Along with some fixers (rampant growth, cultivate, 2 signets, Wall of Roots), I had: Ancestral Recall, Mox Sapphire, Timetwister, Time Walk, Jace TMS, Tinker->Myr Battlesphere (and a Metamorph to copy it), Tooth and Nail->Razormane Masticore and the +x/+x and trample 5/5 haste green thing, Karn Liberated, Gush, Sword of Feast and Famine, Personal Tutor, Sylvan Library, Academy Ruins, Force of Will, and Lotus Petal. It was a massacre and so much fun to play. One game I had both Karn and Jace in play against an empty board.

For the day I won a German Regrowth and an Asian Channel (not sure what the language is), but just playing with these decks and this cube is a blast.

By the way - did anyone listen to the latest episode of Limited Resources, where Brian Wong explained his methods for "going infinite" on MTGO by playing Limited formats only? He hasn't put any money in MTGO in years, but it becomes clear by the end of the episode just how unrealistic that goal is for most sane players.

The most amazing thing to me what when he talked about his bankroll. The guy keeps approximately a thousand tickets in his account, which allow him to weather bad bouts of variance and bad runs in general. He also has enough money in the account to let him hold onto his packs and only sell them when they're at they're highest.

There are still a lot of good lessons to be learned from the episode for the average player, but it's amazing to me just how much work he has to go through on top of having a great win rate, just to break even.

WanderingWind

By the way - did anyone listen to the latest episode of Limited Resources, where Brian Wong explained his methods for "going infinite" on MTGO by playing Limited formats only? He hasn't put any money in MTGO in years, but it becomes clear by the end of the episode just how unrealistic that goal is for most sane players.

The most amazing thing to me what when he talked about his bankroll. The guy keeps approximately a thousand tickets in his account, which allow him to weather bad bouts of variance and bad runs in general. He also has enough money in the account to let him hold onto his packs and only sell them when they're at they're highest.

There are still a lot of good lessons to be learned from the episode for the average player, but it's amazing to me just how much work he has to go through on top of having a great win rate, just to break even.

Plus, watch any of these guys stream. When they're out of tickets people jump at the chance to throw free money at them. And yeah, Magic revolves around money. If you have money to start with, you're not really going infinite. You just bought yourself enough cushion once that you didn't have to do it again.

LR isn't that great for me now outside of the set reviews. It's not basically Marshall and Wong going "I agree." It drives me nuts. And when they review cards when they disagree it's like "Well, Marshall, I disagree that card is a C. I think it's a C-." "Ok, seems fair." Repeat.

The Eh Team is now Star Wars the podcast, Heavy Meta forgets about MtG pretty much throughout. Brainstrom Brewery is more and more just about how much cards are worth.

I dunno. I need a good, semi-funny cast about Standard. Most of the casts out now seem to be about guys who are just sort of bored with Magic.

bigkrev

I really hope their aren't any ways to put +1/+1 counters on guys in this set, because remembering the Monstrous condition is going to be impossible otherwise. Seems like a real big design oversight

An-Det

I really hope their aren't any ways to put +1/+1 counters on guys in this set, because remembering the Monstrous condition is going to be impossible otherwise. Seems like a real big design oversight

Was the first thing I thought of as well, that's going to make for some problematic communication and rules issues.

Yeef

Destructive Revelry is definitely replacing Smash to Smithereens in my sideboard.

I'm guessing the monstrosity keyword will limited to game changing effects and/or uncommon or higher only to help a bit with the memory issues.

Top Bottom