• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Kerrinck

My friend really wants to get back into this game, but the last time I played seriously was when Chronicles was the most recent expansion. There's just so many cards and expansions I'm not sure how I'll ever get up to speed enough to make coherent decks. Should I just get one of the online games? Hell, haven't some of the general rules changed since then, too?

Unfortunately, no I don't have my old cards other than just few hundred from some random set I picked up for cheap intending to try again a few years ago which I found in the closet and a few scarce leftovers from Revised (which off the top of my head is a bunch of land, two Forks, an Island Fish (lol) and a couple of Taiga).

A lot has changed. Stack no longer exists, same to interruption spells. It's actually much more simple now. No more morphling rules headaches or stack shenanigans.

I recommend you grabbing Magic Online and following the tutorial and playing some casual games so you can get a grasp of the rules change.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I sort of wish I hadn't sold all of my cards for $20 to some guy on the bus (which I tried to take back 30 minutes later and was not successful in). Granted, it was mostly really useless cards since I was a terrible player and all of my decks were just bullshit rares with complicated rules that I could never actually play.

How is Syncopate part of the combo?

Sorry, I meant Traumatize.

image7eaw5.jpg

Would have been able to cut people's deck more than in half(trauma + abberation's grinds for casting traumatize/spectacle) then mill them by the size of their graveyard by killing my own abberation. Damn shame about that.

Do you have the older Modern-legal Mill cards? It's a real deck in the format.

If you mean Innistrad I'm trying to avoid the block because of rotation.

edit: oh I'm trying for standard right now. I already have two modern decks and no standard constructed.

That card isn't remotely close to being constructed playable sadly. So I wouldn't bother.

It's the best common in limited Gatecrash though.

Yeah, I'm sticking to Death's Approach since I'm milling the hell out of people. 1 cost creature kill without the non-artifact limit is nice.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I sort of wish I hadn't sold all of my cards for $20 to some guy on the bus (which I tried to take back 30 minutes later and was not successful in). Granted, it was mostly really useless cards since I was a terrible player and all of my decks were just bullshit rares with complicated rules that I could never actually play.

Well, the taigas are worth some money, so you're not starting from zero. If you're serious about wanting some cards to futz about with, let me know. I sent a box of cards to somebody here and the package bounced back, so I have a box ready to go out just sitting on my counter.

Unless that person who shall go unnamed sends me their address again... :)

bigkrev

My friend really wants to get back into this game, but the last time I played seriously was when Chronicles was the most recent expansion. There's just so many cards and expansions I'm not sure how I'll ever get up to speed enough to make coherent decks. Should I just get one of the online games? Hell, haven't some of the general rules changed since then, too?

Unfortunately, no I don't have my old cards other than just few hundred from some random set I picked up for cheap intending to try again a few years ago which I found in the closet and a few scarce leftovers from Revised (which off the top of my head is a bunch of land, two Forks, an Island Fish (lol) and a couple of Taiga).

The Taiga's can easily finance whatever you want.

If you want to get back in cheap, have each of you buy a deckbuilders toolkit (20 bucks at Target). It's a bunch of commons and uncommons to build with, plus tons on land and 4 boosters, and a rule guide. From there, you can buy some Magic 2014, and wait a month or so for Theros to come out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, the taigas are worth some money, so you're not starting from zero. If you're serious about wanting some cards to futz about with, let me know. I sent a box of cards to somebody here and the package bounced back, so I have a box ready to go out just sitting on my counter.

Unless that person who shall go unnamed sends me their address again... :)

I got them on eBay several years ago because for some reason I had this urge to start playing and a simultaneous urge to overpower people with Kird Apes (yeah...), but I didn't have anyone to play with. I have no clue if they're considered generally acceptable to actually play with in casual games.

They also sell intro-decks and event decks which are usually a pretty good way to get into the current format / block.

For $12 you'll get an intro deck that comes with two boosters, which on their own are $7.50 - $8.00. With those you may pull a money rare or cards to help sweeten your intro deck.

For $20 you can get an Event deck which don't come with any boosters, but they do come with more rare cards and are typically better decks.

Either way you may want to gut them and replace cards with better ones (usually rares) but you can then start shopping for singles (cards! not women!).

I find this to be an easier and cheaper way to get into the game rather than trying to build mediocre decks from cracking packs.

If you've got money to burn, then there is always netdecking, but I wouldn't really recommend this plan of action. ESPECIALLY considering that cards are getting ready to rotate out soon and you most likely won't be playing these high dollar cards for very long (assuming you care anything about Standard format, FNM, etc.)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I got them on eBay several years ago because for some reason I had this urge to start playing and a simultaneous urge to overpower people with Kird Apes (yeah...), but I didn't have anyone to play with. I have no clue if they're considered generally acceptable to actually play with in casual games.

Depends on your casual group. I mean, if you have a casual deck and you slap down a Taiga, just expect the sharks to come out and start to trade you super awesome Vexing Devil's for your stupid 'ol land that you can't even really play with bro. Plus they'll throw in this cool dice you can use for your life total!

JulianImp

As others have said, your Taigas can easily let you purchase cards to make a good Standard deck (latest two blocks of three expansions each plus the latest Core Set), or a decent Modern deck (an eternal format that allows cards from Eighth Edition onwards). You could keep them if you want since they're worth an awful lot, but if you don't want to spend any money on getting back into the game, you could sell one and get lots of goodies.

For starters, you could pick up an Event Deck of your choice, since they come already built for doing OK at small tournaments without adding any additional cards. Remember to look up the decklists on the web and see which cards you won't be able to use in Standard once they rotate in about two months, and pick up whichever one you like the most; when the first expansion of the new block, Theros, is released, all cards from the Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Returns and Magic 2013 sets will become unusable in Standard decks, leaving only Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, Dragon's Maze, Magic 2014 and Theros as legal sets. Afterwards, you could pick some cards up to complete the deck.

Whether you want to stick to Standard or Modern, I'd say purchasing whichever shocklands you want to use would be a great idea for starters, as they're relatively cheap right now and you'll be using them in Standard for a whole year and even once they rotate out they're still one of the the best land cards you could ask for in Modern. By the way, shocklands are dual lands like Taiga, only slightly weaker (they ask you to take 2 damage if you want them to enter the battlefield untapped), which got re-released in the Return to Ravnica block.

Angry Grimace

As others have said, your Taigas can easily let you purchase cards to make a good Standard deck (latest two blocks of three expansions each plus the latest Core Set), or a decent Modern deck (an eternal format that allows cards from Eighth Edition onwards). You could keep them if you want since they're worth an awful lot, but if you don't want to spend any money on getting back into the game, you could sell one and get lots of goodies.

For starters, you could pick up an Event Deck of your choice, since they come already built for doing OK at small tournaments without adding any additional cards. Remember to look up the decklists on the web and see which cards you won't be able to use in Standard once they rotate in about two months, and pick up whichever one you like the most; when the first expansion of the new block, Theros, is released, all cards from the Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Returns and Magic 2013 sets will become unusable in Standard decks, leaving only Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, Dragon's Maze, Magic 2014 and Theros as legal sets. Afterwards, you could pick some cards up to complete the deck.

Whether you want to stick to Standard or Modern, I'd say purchasing whichever shocklands you want to use would be a great idea for starters, as they're relatively cheap right now and you'll be using them in Standard for a whole year and even once they rotate out they're still one of the the best land cards you could ask for in Modern. By the way, shocklands are dual lands like Taiga, only slightly weaker (they ask you to take 2 damage if you want them to enter the battlefield untapped), which got re-released in the Return to Ravnica block.

I have four of the forest/mountain ones already (Stomping Ground). I guess I bought them from the set in which they were originally printed since from what I see, its the exact same card in the current set. I still have like two or three starter decks worth of random cards from the same set, none of which seem to be particularly good.

I know that I still get to play the cards but I actually regret skipping the Return to Ravnica block when it was new.

I just love the Rakdos Red/Black cards sooooooooo much. Even the flavor text of them really suit me. I'd love to have several of the quotes printed onto t-shirts.

During the launch of it didn't they have some event where you chose which side to be with? Man, if I jumped in at the beginning and knew the differences I would have chose Rakdos.

Jaeyden

I was just doing some brewing and thinking about some of my favorite cheap cards. I'm building modern decks tonight and wanted to share a few of my faves. If anyone else feels like sharing some of their "not so popular/pricy gems" please feel free to.

Familiar's Ruse
I absolutely adore this card. It is a 2 mana hard counter that bounces your Snapcasters and Resto's. Yes, it's a bit conditional but when it pays off it pays off BIG. I play it as a one of/ sometimes two in any deck I have ETB's and blue.

Image.ashx

Castigate
Poor man's Thoughtseize...except you don't lose life. Definitely not a substitute but does the exact same job if you're dancing with white. Combo's extraordinarily well with next card.

Image.ashx

Nightsky Mimic
4/4 Flyer tapped and attacking turn 3...you don't say. Very fun with new cards like Sin Collector. On a side note..almost all the mimics are bombs after this current block.

Image.ashx

Noxious Revival
This card is so good. It has a few weaknesses but boy I love it's shenanigans. It can be played in any deck and can dial up all sorts of answers. Hard cast Bonfire this turn. Miracle it the next.

Image.ashx

Crystal Ball
O.K. this is a bit more on the EDH side of things but I love me some Crystal Ball, it's almost playable in Modern and for less than a buck you'll never complain about having one resolved.

Image.ashx

Dash Hopes
I know someone put this in their favorite cards list last year but it might as well be posted again. Works so unbelievably good in the right deck.

Image.ashx

O.K your turn!!

Vampire Nighthawk comes to mind!

Image.ashx

Flying
Deathtouch
Lifelink

FOR ONLY THREE MANA! AND IT'S UNCOMMON!

I'm sad that it is rotating out considering I wasn't playing Magic most of the time it was in Standard with the 2013 reissue. :(

An-Det

Castigate
Poor man's Thoughtseize...except you don't lose life. Definitely not a substitute but does the exact same job if you're dancing with white. Combo's extraordinarily well with next card.

Image.ashx

I dont know about it's application in Modern, but I completely support the use of Castigate whenever possible. I've still got the copy I put in my wallet still there, from after it rotated from Type 2 where I played it in an amazing custom BW deck. Love it.

OnPoint

SpiritMantle.jpg

One of my favorite ways to get damage through in Commander

ShieldOfTheOversoul.jpg

Also a Commander favorite of mine.

GhazbanOgre.jpg

An absolute group-game fun time.

HuntedHorror.jpg

Can make you a friend really quickly in a group game.

I miss playing group games lol

Exokell

Banned
I think Im gonna switch to control UWR for mocs.
UWR with creatures(resto or Gost) sucks when youre holding both counter spell and creature. That delver deck feels so weak when you dont have delver on starting hand or it doesnt flip on your next turn. I wish I could play other decks, but cards like karn, opal or goyf are so expensive :(.

Angry Grimace

I was just doing some brewing and thinking about some of my favorite cheap cards. I'm building modern decks tonight and wanted to share a few of my faves. If anyone else feels like sharing some of their "not so popular/pricy gems" please feel free to.

Familiar's Ruse
I absolutely adore this card. It is a 2 mana hard counter that bounces your Snapcasters and Resto's. Yes, it's a bit conditional but when it pays off it pays off BIG. I play it as a one of/ sometimes two in any deck I have ETB's and blue.
I take it by that extra cost that Counterspell is totally not legal in the non-wayback formats and that trying to play a Mana Drain would get you shunned.

ultron87

I take it by that extra cost that Counterspell is totally not legal in the non-wayback formats and that trying to play a Mana Drain would get you shunned.

Yep, an unconditional counterspell these days is pretty much always going to cost 3 mana unless it has some other additional cost. And Mana Drain is only legal in the same format as Moxes and Black Lotus. They did print a new version of it that costs Green Green Blue Blue recently.

Angry Grimace

Yep, an unconditional counterspell these days is pretty much always going to cost 3 mana unless it has some other additional cost. And Mana Drain is only legal in the same format as Moxes and Black Lotus. They did print a new version of it that costs Green Green Blue Blue recently.

Mana Drain seemed broken as hell even when Legends actually came out. Its even weirder because they had already removed broken crap like Ancestral Recall and such a few months earlier when Revised came out.

I'm interested in the ooze. Shot you a pm with trade details.

Thanks man, though I didn't see anything that would really help the Rakdos cause. haha
A few cards that were definitely cool and I wouldn't mind having (like Kalonian Hydra), but doubtful they'd get played right now so I should probably refrain.

What's the best inexpensive counterspell for modern? Right now I have Render Silents in my deck but I know they're not the best. I also have Mystic Snakes and Plasm Captures lying around.

I can get a playset of these for almost nothing:

image1ujea.jpg
image6vlqn.jpg

Remand is definitely out of my price range.

Made the hour drive across town to check out a new (to me) store today and am I ever jealous. They actually had modern stuff like Cryptic Command and Thoughtseize in stock! My local shop got a Verdant Catacombs in once, it was crazy. Anyway, I wanted to turn some legacy and EDH cards into modern, so I ask the kid working the counter what they would offer me in trade and hand him a stack of 15 or so cards (Natural Orders, Intuitions, Mox Diamonds, Grim Monolith, etc). He looks me square in the eye and says... "ten dollars." Wtf is that shit? He goes on to explain that they are generally a standard store and eternal events only get up to 20 people so the cards are hard to move. That's fine, although God knows how those Thoughtseizes got there in the first place then, but come on... don't offer somebody $10 for their $400 stack of stuff!

Is there a place anyone can recommend to make deals like the one I want to? I've considered just selling on eBay in order to keep from using non-Magic funds, but the prospect is pretty daunting for someone who's never done it before.

Wichu

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";76469043]What's the best inexpensive counterspell for modern? Right now I have Render Silents in my deck but I know they're not the best. I also have Mystic Snakes and Plasm Captures lying around.

I can get a playset of these for almost nothing:

image1ujea.jpg
image6vlqn.jpg

Remand is definitely out of my price range.[/QUOTE]

I'd go for the Mana Leaks. Modern is a fast-paced format, so chances are that they won't have three spare mana around to force their way past.

Is there a place anyone can recommend to make deals like the one I want to? I've considered just selling on eBay in order to keep from using non-Magic funds, but the prospect is pretty daunting for someone who's never done it before.

If you want value for your cards you can't sell to a shop. That said $10 is a crazy offer, however the reality is stores have bills to pay, they aren't in the break-even business. In my experience most shops generally offer around 50-65% of the value of whatever you are trading in.

Lucario

Am I late for the 'underpriced cards' train?

Fierce Empath (0.50)

Should be in nearly every green EDH deck.... Fuck, casual elves should probably be running a copy or two, just because it's so flexible. Never underestimate the power of a tutor that leaves behind a body -- the creature you grab is likely going to be able to make use of it. If not, it carries a sword later on.

Evacuation//Cyclonic rift ($1)

Targeted removal won't kill anything with hexproof.
Boardwipe won't kill indestructible creatures
Mass damage won't kill creatures with "protection from X"
These spells 'kill' everything, in the sense that they'll get them the fuck off the board at instant speed.

Archaeomancer (0.10)

Chains with evacuation. Wins games in limited by giving you backbreaking card advantage. Tied with academy raiders and dragon hatchling for the most times I've seen a good card go unacceptably late in limited .

Azorius Guildmage (0.10)

This guy hitting the board early enough in a U/W deck with enough lockdown = gg. Stifle on a stick, encourages interaction between expensive decks on the same table, allowing the 'fair' decks to catch up. Should be in every EDH deck capable of running both colors.

Hellkite Tyrant ($1)

For most competitive constructed play, this guy is pretty bad. He's... sideboard card #15 in your bad sneak attack deck in a meta that does not exist.

EDH and casual, whoaman.

Permanent and crippling card advantage from one hit. Find a way to give him haste and you'll find he can create situations it's impossible to recover from.

It's almost a shame he didn't have it by default, but then he'd easily be red's equivalent to Primeval Titan in the format -- comes into play, takes a few 'lands', gets pathed, everyone's mad at you. This one has a slightly implausible win condition attached, too!

The 10-card megacycle of lands from Innistrad block ($0.10-$1)

To start, Moorland Haunt. A free 1/1 spirit when you have some leftover mana is a worthwhile investment. Saw heavy standard play back for a while. Is a land. Is 0.10.

are you freakin' kidding me?

What is white best at? Small creatures and mass pump. This gives so much reach to tempo decks it's absurd. Expect it to come back in modern at some point when W/x hatebears becomes a tad more viable and/or is encouraged to play blue.

Kessig Wolf run is fireball every turn, but a land. Innistrad is in fairly short supply compared to RTR block. $1 is nothing. Buy every copy you can right now.

Gavony Township has already proven itself to be a very potent card in melira-pod, playing a bigger role in the deck than... well, one of its namesakes, at least (melira). Won't discuss it much, but I will mention that it's a SEVENTY FIVE CENT CARD. When arguably format-changing rare lands cost under a dollar, you need to be buying them.

Nephalia Drownyard is a thing. It acted as a kill card in standard grixis control decks for a while, and now it's just sitting at 0.25, waiting to be picked up in another format.

It won't be, but it's still very fun to self-mill with in casual.

Rounding out the allied color lands is whatever the RB one is. Don't buy it or play it in any deck ever.

Slayers' Stronghold is very powerful. Granting haste to late-game drops is yet another way to make weenie rush-style decks relevant. Saw some play in a World Champs deck, to moderate success. Otherwise, has flown under the radar, as an occasional 1-of. Obscenely powerful in EDH, but in unpopular colors -- still, I'd run it over Hall of the Bandit lord.

run both

Alchemist's Refuge should be considered an EDH staple at this point. It's in the two most popular colors and makes it so you can drop your sorcery-speed bombs at end of turn. Hell, it lets you wipe the board right before your turn starts.

Vault of the Archangel sees a tiny bit of play in competitive modern, oddly enough. Lingering Souls is best friends with this fucker, and despite the activation costing more than an average deck's most expensive spell, it manages to get work done. You'd assume the high cost and lack of ability to generate colored mana would force it out of the token decks it wants to be in, and you'd be mostly right, but it's still a powerful enough card to justify inclusion in some decks. It's still probably the third most backbreaking effect out of any of these lands, next to township and wolfrun.

Grim Backwoods is a weird enabler for EDH. Ignore it in 60-card unless you desperately need sac outlets and cards. Maybe in some Rude Awakening deck.

Desolate Lighthouse sees fringe play in modern (1-of in the format's most popular deck), and is generally very good. I tend to build EDH decks that have more to do with their mana, and still have a hard time keeping this out.

For more competitive cards that're underpriced right now (with the exception of the VERY playable lands above)

Well, I was working on a post that included Horizon Canopy, but I guess it just jumped to $30. Damn, I hadn't even bought mine yet.

Some others:

Omniscience, which is playing a role in Legacy right now, only recently broke the $7 mark. I bought in at $3, but it's still a unique (and obscenely powerful) effect. Core set mythic, too. It has a LOT of room to go up.
Dismember is one of the five most played spells in modern. It is a small set uncommon, yet is (bafflingly enough) under a dollar. I'm sitting on half a longbox full (500), and will likely buy more. Yes, it was in a number of event decks. Insignificant compared to the print run of a normal uncommon.
Deathrite Shaman is the third most played card in modern. They're in large quantities right now due to the influx of new players post-RTR, but you should still be aggressively getting these out of binders. Future $40 card.

Top Bottom