• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Monstrous seems like a really really bad idea.

OnPoint

I think it's like any other ability, Monstrous, I mean. If it has counters, that doesn't mean it automatically becomes Monstrous. If anything, you may want to mark it as Monstrous with a separate counter.

Yeef

I think it's like any other ability, Monstrous, I mean. If it has counters, that doesn't mean it automatically becomes Monstrous. If anything, you may want to mark it as Monstrous with a separate counter.
It has similar issues to soulbond, which, according to Rosewater, confused a lot of players.

Crocodile

Glad to have Polu-whatshisface finally confirmed. Can't say these batch of Theros spoilers really have me super hyped though. In contrast, I thought Goblin Electromancer and Dreg Mangler looked sick out of the Izzet vs Golgari duel deck.

I've watched enough Sentai and the such to appreciate the flavor of "Monstrosity" but "Heroic" is kind of lost on me. Like your hero gets stronger and everybody around them feels more confident? Seems like an odd mechanic to repeat enough times that it gets its own ability word.

The memory issues with "Monstrosity" are unfortunate and WILL come up in pretty much every format at one point or another. Heck we already see in this batch of spoilers ways to add +1/+1 counters to your dudes without using the mechanic. I assume they'll explain why they worded the mechanic the way they did. Hopefully the reason is good enough.

Yeef

I've watched enough Sentai and the such to appreciate the flavor of "Monstrosity" but "Heroic" is kind of lost on me. Like your hero gets stronger and everybody around them feels more confident? Seems like an odd mechanic to repeat enough times that it gets its own ability word.
We only have the one card spoiled, at it's the king and queen of the respective city. It makes sense for them to boost all of your dude. Heroic could just be "when you cast a spell targeting [dude], do [thing]." It's too early to assume that they're all global effects.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'll say this: the art and naming so far are absolutely ace. And I love the overall design of this card
feat261a_oop_en_7vcz9xnf1s.jpg

Crocodile

We only have the one card spoiled, at it's the king and queen of the respective city. It makes sense for them to boost all of your dude. Heroic could just be "when you cast a spell targeting [dude], do [thing]." It's too early to assume that they're all global effects.

I fully expect we'll get "Heroic - Draw a Card/Shock a Targert/Destroy an Artifact/Enchantment/etc." I'm just not sure what's so "Heroic" about it. I get the theme is "PLAY AURAS" but I'm not seeing the clear link to Heroism. I'm sure WOTC will justify it somehow *shurg*

OnPoint

I fully expect we'll get "Heroic - Draw a Card/Shock a Targert/Destroy an Artifact/Enchantment/etc." I'm just not sure what's so "Heroic" about it. I get the theme is "PLAY AURAS" but I'm not seeing the clear link to Heroism. I'm sure WOTC will justify it somehow *shurg*

It will probably only end up on creatures deemed to be heroes. The ability isn't what's heroic, the character/creature is.

rCIZZLE

Destructive Revelry seems pretty decent for legacy zoo, rug delver, or other similar r/g/x decks. Smash to Smithereens is good for problems like chalice and while losing a damage is unappealing, being able to hit enchantments too seems worth it.

Lucario

the total value of both duel decks is like, what, $7?

jank rares + unplayables + random $1+2 uncommons + sun titan. These are easily the worst duel decks of all time, holy shit.

sun titan: 3
magma jet: 2.5
junk rares from heroes deck: ~1.5
beast within: 2
troll ascetic: 1.5
junk rares from monsters deck: 0.5
assorted 0.50~ playable uncommons: $1

$12 if we're counting up dime rares and being super anal about things, whee. IIRC the last few duel decks were all over $25-30 when you only counted dollar+ cards.

Of course, that doesn't factor in the new cards, and Alex and Cymede could surprise us.... but they'd have to be worth ~20 combined for me to consider buying this.

They won't be.

edit: worse value than knights v dragons or phyrexia vs the coalition. Ahahahahaha

Lucario

Forgot to say --- Amex & Central Credit Union have a good chance of breaking out in standard at some point, so I can easily see them hitting the $4-6 it'd take to make this a less depressing purchase.

Without checklands, it's going to be a lot harder to cast Boros Reckoner, and these two are almost as absurd in combat. The two toughness (and lack of ability to ping shit when it's burned) is shitty, but they fill a similar role -- a hugeass first striker to come down and rule the board as early as possible. Amie and Credenza can't trade up or discourage large blockers, and are less guaranteed to provide 'value' when hit with a burn spell, but....

Yeah, never mind, I'm wrong. They will still see some play -- I love the idea of shocking 'em for a mini-overrun -- but they don't really fill the same hole. The ability to trade up with a grown Ooze or other assorted big dude is too important.

Finally got to roll out my Standard milling deck for a test run yesterday:

4 Codex Shredder
4 Shadow Alley Denizen
3 Death's Approach

4 Wight of Precinct Six
3 Paranoid Delusions

3 Crypt Incursion
3 Psychic Strike

2 Whispering Madness
3 Desecration Demon

3 Consuming Abberation
2 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
2 Jace, Memory Adept

4 Watery Grave
3 Rogue's Passage
17 Swamps/Islands

Thoughts:
  • Desecration Demon and Consuming Abberation don't seem to be holding their end of the bargain. I thought Desecration Demon would be a great way to build up the Wights and Crypt Incursions, but frankly the deck mills fast enough that 6/6 for 4 isn't that useful outside of the flying, which my opponent doesn't need to deal with if they don't feel like it.
  • Consuming Abberation is straight-up worse than Wight of Precinct 6. I'd rather cast Jace or Mirko on turn 5, and the Abberation's second ability rarely comes into play. By the time I've milled enough that a 30/30 Abberation is an issue for my opponent, I'm about to win through milling anyway. Getting rid of them makes a big difference for my mana curve as well.
  • Crypt Incursion is the MVP of the deck. Almost always guaranteed 18-24 health by the time I need to cast it. Runner up is a tie between Codex Shredder and Shadow Alley Denizen.
  • Hilarious play of the day was hitting a Keening Apparition with Death's Approach.

So that gives me 6 slots to work with here. I'm thinking 4 Deathrite Shamans for sure to speed up my deck and counter other black players, and maybe another Mirko and Jace or more control(another counter and Death's Approach?). I'm also considering dropping the Psychic Strikes for Spell Ruptures. Any thoughts?

As for sideboarding, Lifebane Zombies are a stand out. What else should I be looking at?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
At first I was thinking Mr. World-Eater was pretty "meh" but then I'm thinking about it it terms of what else mono-green has to work with at 4CMC. Deadbridge Goliath? I I like Polky better than him, and he's cheaper that Kalonian, so I can cast him on with an extra green up for Ranger's Guile to save him from eating a doom blade immediately.

T`1: Elf
T2: Stalker
T3: W/E
T4: This guy.

Seems good enough. Still, not exactly the immediate impact on board that one would expect with such an epic name.

I'll say this: the art and naming so far are absolutely ace. And I love the overall design of this card
feat261a_oop_en_7vcz9xnf1s.jpg

Interesting. When a creature leaves the battlefield, any auras attached to it are placed in the graveyard. Is this considered a sacrifice? (My gut feeling says no.)

EDIT: And I really hope Red Auras becomes a thing.

Lucario

At first I was thinking Mr. World-Eater was pretty "meh" but then I'm thinking about it it terms of what else mono-green has to work with at 4CMC. Deadbridge Goliath? I I like Polky better than him, and he's cheaper that Kalonian, so I can cast him on with an extra green up for Ranger's Guile to save him from eating a doom blade immediately.

T`1: Elf
T2: Stalker
T3: W/E
T4: This guy.

Seems good enough. Still, not exactly the immediate impact on board that one would expect with such an epic name.

I expected more immediate impact too, but I feel like he does 'enough' to be a valid 1-2 of in some post-rotation midrange decks. If the metagame is such that 3/2 first strikers, fiendslayer paladins, etc are hitting the board often, well.... Being able to drop this guy as a wall of fat on turn three or four, then grow him to a 7/7 and remove a relevant creature on the next turn is absolutely solid, and likely has significant enough impact to be worth "wasting" your turn on.

Attacking with a 7/7 on turn 4 while generating some small amount of card advantage seems far more worthwhile than Dreadbridge Goliath's upside of 'you'll eventually get a fat creature.'

While I don't really want this card against control (ever), he seems a lot better than the "EW, JANK" responses Reddit are throwing at him.

He's a bad mono green olivia voldaren. In exchange for the abilities to ping forever, steal creatures, and have evasion, he beats down harder. This is a textbook midrange card, and while it may not be the most potent one, it's pretty fun.

That is, of course, if the format isn't Jace AoT-dominated.

y2dvd

Polukranos, World Eater: Such a huge body for a possible T3. Double X always confuses me. So does paying G and two colorless give it 2 counters?

Anax and Cymede: I was mistaken with Brave the Elements earlier. It doesn't target so I guess it won't trigger AC. Boros Charm is easily an ideal card to trigger AC I suppose. I think this will be playable, though with Clifftop Retreat leaving, it maybe harder to cast consistently early on.

Cavalry Pegasus: Eh, body is too weak.

Ordeal of Purphoros. So if you enchant a creature that already had 3 or more counters on it, you have to basically sac OoP immediately? It's like a ticking time bomb that can be diffused.

Satyr Hedonist: Kinda weird that you have to pay R instead of G to use it's ability.

Destructive Revelry: Looks like a fine sideboard card for Gruul.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
Polukranos, World Eater: Such a huge body for a possible T3. Double X always confuses me. So does paying G and two colorless give it 2 counters?

Choose a value for X, then you substitute that for every X on the card.

If you want two counters, you choose 2 for X, and you pay 2+2+G.

The value of X determines what you pay, not the other way around.

Lucario

Oh, no, I'm only swinging for 13 instead of 16? DARN YOU JACE.

Better find that Verdict quick, boyo.

Jace is just a way to dig for necessary spells or, in a pinch, be a few bad divination in a row.

2-4 cards for 2UU is a pretty good deal, assuming he isn't getting attacked or is dropped after a supreme verdict. While it's nice that he protects himself a bit while being ticked up, you're playing him for the -2. If you use it twice, you've already gotten an absurd deal.

Is his mini-FoF twice equivalent to 'draw 4 cards'? Hell naw. But it digs more, and if you're just looking for value (or even just looking for a particular spell) it won't be that much worse.

WanderingWind

Jace is just a way to dig for necessary spells or, in a pinch, be a few bad divination in a row.

2-4 cards for 2UU is a pretty good deal, assuming he isn't getting attacked or is dropped after a supreme verdict. While it's nice that he protects himself a bit while being ticked up, you're playing him for the -2. If you use it twice, you've already gotten an absurd deal.

Is his mini-FoF twice equivalent to 'draw 4 cards'? Hell naw. But it digs more, and if you're just looking for value (or even just looking for a particular spell) it won't be that much worse.

Like I said, better find that Verdict fast!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";77171547]2/1 creature that turns into a red Dark Ritual? Pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

Too bad standard won't see t3 thundermaw

ajf009

So I have no use or desire for foreign cards, but I'm in France and Germany for the month, would it be or any benefit to me to pick up a few boosters over here? Idk if people usually pay more for foreign cards back in the States

Yeef

If there's a full cycle of the sac-auras (and I think there will be), I think I'll have to try them with Perilous Research in a few decks.

WanderingWind

So I have no use or desire for foreign cards, but I'm in France and Germany for the month, would it be or any benefit to me to pick up a few boosters over here? Idk if people usually pay more for foreign cards back in the States

If you could let me know what the availability of english product is in Germany, I'd appreciate it. I'll be there by end of the year. :|

OnPoint

Can you pick me up a german Witchstalker? Lol

I'm serious. I'll pay you

@God's Beard

Is there a reason you don't include Traumatize? Just curious.

Mostly because it's a 5-cost card that I can't win with. It's pretty much only good once. I could put it in because it buffs the hell out of Crypt Incursion and Wights and Death's Approach, but then I'd have three 5-cost cards with only two each. I think an extra Mirko and Jace would be more reliable.

I have mixed feelings on it. If I replace the Paranoid Delusions with them then my early game milling is a lot harder and it takes too long to make my cards useful.

Interesting. When a creature leaves the battlefield, any auras attached to it are placed in the graveyard. Is this considered a sacrifice? (My gut feeling says no.)

EDIT: And I really hope Red Auras becomes a thing.

Couldn't you sacrifice it before they died though? Like you knew that death was imminent so you go ahead and sacrifice the enchantment.

Couldn't you sacrifice it before they died though? Like you knew that death was imminent so you go ahead and sacrifice the enchantment.

You would need a sac outlet for permanents, or at least enchantments. I don't know of any in Standard right now, but maybe we'll see something creep up in Theros.

JulianImp

You would need a sac outlet for permanents, or at least enchantments. I don't know of any in Standard right now, but maybe we'll see something creep up in Theros.

I think it'd kind of defeat the purpose of these quest-like auras, so we aren't likely to see any kind of Auratog-like sacrifice engines in Theros.

Still, I think not even these auras are going to be worth playing in constructed formats unless they have an effect that helps you in ways other than just boosting the enchanted creature.

Since standard-playable creatures often give you some sort of value nearly immediately upon entering the battlefield, auras that require a target and to have it survive long enough to do their thing nearly aren't worth it. I think they kind of nailed it with equipment, since that permanent type still relies on creatures that can wield them and a mana investment every time you want to equip one, but don't shrivel up and die the moment the creature gets killed.

I wonder what would've happened if they made auras attach themselves to a creature upon entering the battlefield like a Clone... I guess that would've created other balance issues such as being able to put your auras on your opponent's hexproof creatures, but on the other hand, it could've been okay since several of them keep the creature around, making enchantment removal more important and letting you keep your creature after you take care of them.

Okay, I am reading the card as the player has the ability to sacrifice the enchantment once it has at least three counters on it.

But I suppose that Keru_Shiri was asking about if the creature died before they had the full amount of counters?

JulianImp

Okay, I am reading the card as the player has the ability to sacrifice the enchantment once it has at least three counters on it.

But I suppose that Keru_Shiri was asking about if the creature died before they had the full amount of counters?

Nah, he was just asking about any Auratog-like cards that could be used to sacrifice this kind of enchantments for their special effects right away, without having to wait for their own sacrifice conditions, since it's already been stated enchantments that "fall off" due to their enchanted creature leaving the battlefield don't count as being sacrificed.

Also, the sacrifice is mandatory once it reaches the specified amount of counters, but only when the ability resolves. For example,you can play the red aura on a Knight of the Parish which already has three or more +1/+1 counters on it, and the enchantment will sacrifice itself the next time the Knight attacks after adding its own +1/+1 counter to it.

Nah, he was just asking about any Auratog-like cards that could be used to sacrifice this kind of enchantments for their special effects right away, without having to wait for their own sacrifice conditions, since it's already been stated enchantments that "fall off" due to their enchanted creature leaving the battlefield don't count as being sacrificed.

Also, the sacrifice is mandatory once it reaches the specified amount of counters, but only when the ability resolves. For example,you can play the red aura on a Knight of the Parish which already has three or more +1/+1 counters on it, and the enchantment will sacrifice itself the next time the Knight attacks after adding its own +1/+1 counter to it.

I see, thanks. I think that the "three or more" tripped me up.

I challenged my girlfriend to a one-pack sealed draft of M14, where you make a hand with 7-8 cards including lands and you can't lose by being milled.

She got an Elixir of Immortality and a Ratchet Bomb -_-

Also, I snagged a playset of Paradise Mantles for a couple bucks at a local place today. Not a bad deal.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";77256815]I challenged my girlfriend to a one-pack sealed draft of M14, where you make a hand with 7-8 cards including lands and you can't lose by being milled.

She got an Elixir of Immortality and a Ratchet Bomb -_-

Also, I snagged a playset of Paradise Mantles for a couple bucks at a local place today. Not a bad deal.[/QUOTE]
Yeah Mantle was an obvious spec buy gone horribly wrong lol

Top Bottom