• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Paradise Mantle? Am I missing something?

Some modern deck do something with that now or something?

One of the Daily MTG writers featured a deck with it and Blistercoil Weird a few months ago. The deck was jank, but it got enough attention to make Mantle spike like crazy for no good reason. I think people were hoping to see a repeat of what happened with Daybreak Coronet.

Haha. I love Wizards and their sense of humor with the Community Cup. If the community wins, everybody who logged into MTGO gets a promo Sliver Queen and Rakdos Cackler.

If the community loses, we all get...

...a promo Totally Lost.

Lucario

I'm afraid the Gods are going to just be normal creatures and their abilities will just be something idiotic involving counters and tokens.

Lucario

"Every other creature with an aura attached has +4/+4 Hexproof, Trample and Flying"

Alright, WoTC staff. New world order is going off without a hitch. Control decks are competitive, and although they run a few permission spells, it isn't the same focus. Discard is terrible, but genuinely good cards like Duress pop up once in a while, which should be enough to deal with dominant spell-based strategies (if they pop up.) Land destruction and other strategies even experienced players didn't enjoy are nowhere to be seen.

We need a new mechanic literally nobody likes. I propose we make Trollshroud evergreen, call it hexproof, and put it on a TON of 1-drops.

They'll never fucking see it coming. They'll wake up one day and every casual group will be infested with uninteractive, self-piloting aura decks.

Can we make it competitive too? Let's reprint Rancor, get that shit into modern. Oo, we can make Magic just like rock paper scissors!

Lucario

Someone is salty lol.

I was so happy they made the game more varied and skill-dependent by crippling the least fun strategies.

Then they just had to make one even less fun. It's ridiculously uninteractive, makes certain strategies unplayable while it's in a format, and goes against pretty much every "new world order" decision R&D makes. Hexproof should not keep being printed on commons and uncommons.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hexproof was their way of making auras feasible again. It wasn't that long ago where you were pretty dumb to run auras in a standard deck.

Not my fault y'all don't run edicts! Just be glad that they didn't make the all perms are indestructible clause as part of the simic charm. Then you'd be really fucked. Oh and Witchbane Orb is rotating too.

#TeamHexproof

JulianImp

Not my fault y'all don't run edicts!

You just reminded me of the one time when I was playing my BUG flash creatures + removal + Aetherling deck and my opponent played a Sigarda. I didn't even know she prevented sacrifice effects, and had no possible way to get her off the board, not even with my trusty Far/Aways! I had to read the card when I tried to make my opponent sacrifice, said "duh" and couldn't do anything as I got beaten to death by an evasive, untargetable creature that wouldn't die to anything short of a wrath.

ultron87

I'm glad Celestial Flare is a thing that makes my Blue/White deck playable vs Hexproof. (Except of course vs Sigarda.)

I did my first ever Two Headed Giant draft at Gen Con over the weekend. Why didn't anyone tell me how fun that was?

Lucario

I'm glad Celestial Flare is a thing that makes my Blue/White deck playable vs Hexproof. (Except of course vs Sigarda.)

I did my first ever Two Headed Giant draft at Gen Con over the weekend. Why didn't anyone tell me how fun that was?

Grakl and I did one at PAX East. It was a blast, until we were like OH FUCK THEY HAVE EVERY CARD WITH EXTORT.

Dem four life point swings.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I play 2 headed giant almost every day during my lunch break. One of the guys here has a B/W extort deck that is just nutty in 2HD giant. 4 point swings per extort is cray cray.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Two Headed Giant Limited is probably my absolute favorite form of Magic, which is why its a shame I only ever get to do it Sealed at pre-releases.

Does anyone have recommendations on good one or two drop creatures to run a play set of in my Standard Black / Red Rakdos deck?

I am thinking of perhaps Ash Zealot or Thrill-Kill Assassin. I already have Rakdos Cackler and Spike Jester in the deck.

ultron87

Two Headed Giant Limited is probably my absolute favorite form of Magic, which is why its a shame I only ever get to do it Sealed at pre-releases.
Getting to play with my less experienced friend was great since it gave a fantastic opportunity to share some card evaluation tips mid draft as well as play advice.

kirblar

This is me kicking myself in the pants for not taking my own advice and buying the Zendikar manlands two months ago when I said I was going to...

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/card/Celestial+Colonnade+[WWK]

It's on a price spike right now because of the incredibly popularity of UWR control in Modern, but damn...
Those lands are so, so, good, but because they're bad in Commander/Casual formats, they just kinda got crapped on until Modern arrived.

Tarpit was part of that cycle right?

Yep.

Colonnade is the one that's seeing the huge spike right now because it's basically the key win condition of UWR Draw-Go in Modern. You essentially can't play the deck without it.

Tar Pit is seeing some play in fringe Grixis control decks in Modern, but those aren't nearly as good as they are sweet.

kirblar

It did see play, but Colonnade is just so much better in WUx control decks.

You can get a playset of Colonnades for about 32 on TCGPlayer atm.

Exokell

Banned
UWR is horrible right now, played with it on mocs final,. My jund opponent just destroyed every land I had with fulminator mage then casts thrun and its gameover. Anyway I have a set of fulminator mage that I bought for 10 tix each and its 29+ now lol. Fucking modern is expensive as shit! and people complain with standard.

WanderingWind

It did see play, but Colonnade is just so much better in WUx control decks.

You can get a playset of Colonnades for about 32 on TCGPlayer atm.

Well, maybe I'll get on that. But I'm trying to figure out what deck I want to play in Modern before I buy into it. Maybe affinity? What the hell is any good in Modern?

kirblar

UWR is horrible right now, played with it on mocs final,. My jund opponent just destroyed every land I had with fulminator mage then casts thrun and its gameover. Anyway I have a set of fulminator mage that I bought for 10 tix each and its 29+ now lol. Fucking modern is expensive as shit! and people complain with standard.
There's a reason that they adjusted the scheduling so that there's only 1 more Modern PTQ season before MM2. They know the prices are going to go nutsy.

Do you have SCG premium? Ari Lax's primer was insane. Melira Pod definitely #1 atm but the format's wide open (if combo heavy.)

WanderingWind

I don't. I forgot about pod. Reddit is full of people whining about it being OP. But, I think I have the pieces for that already. Even for the Kiki variant.

Hm. OP, Reddit hates it and I don't have to pay into it? I think I'll try it

kirblar

I don't. I forgot about pod. Reddit is full of people whining about it being OP. But, I think I have the pieces for that already. Even for the Kiki variant.

Hm. OP, Reddit hates it and I don't have to pay into it? I think I'll try it
The easy access to infinite life is causing issues in the format for sure.

There's a reason that they adjusted the scheduling so that there's only 1 more Modern PTQ season before MM2. They know the prices are going to go nutsy.

No kidding. I'm just glad I picked up the fetchlands already, although I'm still missing a lot of green and black staples. I do have Cryptics, Cliques, and most of the important blue, red, and white spells though.

I'm trying to find a deck that I can buy into before things go too crazy that's a little less hit-or-miss than Splinter Twin. As much as I enjoy playing that deck, the viability of that deck is so dependent on the metagame and matchups it's crazy. I'm *this* close to pulling the trigger on Scapeshift, since I have the Cryptics already and that deck has always intrigued me.

The way I see it, metagames that are harsh to Splinter Twin are probably softer to Scapeshift, and vice versa, so owning both might be kinda sweet. (Or maybe I'm very much midjudging Scapeshift since I don't have a lot of experience with it.)

Cheon is streaming a sweet modern grixis list. I wouldn't mind playing this.

That's the list I referred to above. It's more sweet than it is good.

EDIT: But it is very, very sweet. I've always loved Grixis. If Damnations weren't $10 on MTGO, and basically not used in any tier 1 decks, I would have built that deck already.

WanderingWind

That's the list I referred to above. It's more sweet than it is good.

EDIT: But it is very, very sweet. I've always loved Grixis. If Damnations weren't $10 on MTGO, and basically not used in any tier 1 decks, I would have built that deck already.

Man, if Forces ever become Modern legal....

I think this is gonna be my final composition for my milling deck, which pulls my mana curve down a bit. Any last ideas before I purchase the cards?

4 Codex Shredder
3 Shadow Alley Denizen
4 Death's Approach
4 Tome Scour
4 Deathrite Shaman

4 Wight of Precinct Six
3 Spell Ruptures

4 Crypt Incursion

2 Whispering Madness

3 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
3 Jace, Memory Adept

4 Watery Grave
4 Rogue's Passage
14 Swamps/Islands

Sideboard:
4 Lifebane Zombie
4 Traumatize
4 Psychic Strikes

From "The Planeswalker's Guide to Theros:"

Enchantments: Magic of the Gods

The gods themselves are living enchantments. For this reason, all enchantments are thought to be gifts from the gods—a unique form of magic enabled by divinities.

Additionally, when other creatures such as nymphs demonstrate the "infusion" of night sky that all the gods have in common, it's taken as evidence that the nymphs are servants of the gods, native to Nyx, and only visiting the sunlit, mortal world at the gods' behest.

Also, phantom 64-man Modern Masters drafts on MTGO, with FTV:20 as the ultimate prize.

15 tickets per event. I don't think I'll be able to resist, mostly because I loved Modern Masters and certainly wasn't ready to see it go when it did.

Top Bottom