• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
8 Young Pyromancer
6 Goblin Electromancer
8 Battle Hymn
4 Past in Flames
2 Faithless Looting
4 Desperate Ravings
2 Burn at the Stake
2 Increasing Confusion
3 Reforge the Soul
some lands go here

I feel like there's a fundamental flaw in this deck.

f0rk

You get to choose your opening hand, and the decks are split into two piles, lands and non-lands. Every draw phase you choose which pile to draw from.

What would this do to the game? I think you'd have to choose how many cards to draw from each deck rather than the perfect 7 but it's an interesting thought experiment. Especially when all the competitors springing up at the moment do away with the whole concept of lands and mana variance.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What would this do to the game? I think you'd have to choose how many cards to draw from each deck rather than the perfect 7 but it's an interesting thought experiment. Especially when all the competitors springing up at the moment do away with the whole concept of lands and mana variance.

I actually did this as an assignment for a class in game design. It turns out its actually pretty bad. At least, I thought it was: by reducing the variance so much decks became much more stratified into power tiers and speed tiers. The game just seemed more boring. I can see how some player types would really like it, but meh
I can see it working in a format with additional changes, and actually, I think it might work alright in a Cube, but I'd need to test.

Its one of the things that I think Magic really has going for it honestly, and one reason why I don't think any other card games have quite grabbed me the same way. Well, and a lot of new card games don't seem to mine their design space very deeply, but that can be forgiven because they're just getting started (hell, Alpha was quite similar)

I have a cube-like variant of my own design that friends and I have been playing since forever that has has separate communal land and spell decks and a shared graveyard. It's pretty fun. The ability to choose what you want to draw is offset by the chance that you might not get what you need. And I deal a 4 spell 3 land hand to start. And three times a game someone can skip their draw to fetch a basic of their choice.

noquarter

Momir is kind of fun in the same way. Just play lands, tap them and hope if you tap five Leveler doesn't show up.

I made a Momir-lite paper cube. One of each creature I had, separated by CMC up to 9 and liked playing some quick 1v1 with it. The cube still needs some work, but if you just want a few minute game is fun.

If you try to choose your hand, it might be alright if each chosen card is one less in hand, so before the game starts choose 1,2 or 3 cards, then if you chose 2 you only get dealt three and no muligans if you chose. I would try that for EDH, but of course it would be Mana Crypt, Island, Tinker and GG here's Blightsteel.

bigkrev

For fantasy land decks, I always loved Jamie Wakefield's "The Lucky Goblins" (Urza block constructed)

4 Goblin Lackey
4 Goblin Lackey
4 Goblin Marshall
4 Goblin Marshall
4 Reckless Abandon
4 Reckless Abandon
4 Trumpet Blast
4 Trumpet Blast
28 Mountain

Yeef

arc1308_judge_vindicate.jpg

I want it... :(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Looking through a lot of this art and it seems like a lot of the humans on Theros have pretty dark skin. Its nice to see that they're not afraid they have to whitewash things

y2dvd

My LGS had the latest FNM Promo which is Experiment One. On the back was a new Theros card.

Bident of Thassa 2UU

Legendary Artifact Enchantment

Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.

2U, Tap: Creatures your opponents control must attack this turn if able."

Sorry if posted already. Doesn't sound like it synergizes with blue and is too much. It's also a target for either Artifact or Enchantment removals. Seems terribad imo.

OnPoint

It's a Judge Foil. Be a judge.

I think you're thinking of Mortify?

I don't see them ever bringing Vindicate to modern or standard, unfortunately. I have a few with the original art, which is also great.

Image.ashx

I think he means people thought Putrefy would call for a Mortify reprint.

Vindicate would be so welcome though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I still find it odd that they didn't reprint Mortify, especially since the new block has such a heavy enchantment focus.

I mean hell, they even made new art for it for the Sorin vs. Tibalt duel deck:

Image.ashx

f0rk

MareTjQ.jpg

Also apparently there is a god with a functional time walk and a "1 mana sword to plowshares enchantment". That wording is unclear but another source suggests it is Journey to Nowhere but with the life gain drawback. They also say Thoughtseize is in the block (not necessarily this set).

An-Det

They look fake, but given that Scry is rumored to return I'd love for Magma Jet to actually return. Card is so much fun.

ultron87

I found a place that plays Standard on Wednesday! I get to actually slightly practice my deck before going to SCG on Saturday for my first for real tournament. Yay!

I've recently started using ebay to buy some Magic cards.

It's strangely addicting... I ponder buying cards that I have no intention of running, at least not in the short term.

I've saved some money... but also put a lot of time into it.
I'm starting to lean towards the simplicity of just sticking to websites that sell with set prices.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I still find it odd that they didn't reprint Mortify, especially since the new block has such a heavy enchantment focus.

I mean hell, they even made new art for it for the Sorin vs. Tibalt duel deck:

Image.ashx

I think MaRo said on his tumblr that they were thinking about it but didn't because Theros was going to be so enchantment heavy they didn't want that much removal for it (Naturalize, Putrefy would be enough.)

kirblar

I think MaRo said on his tumblr that they were thinking about it but didn't because Theros was going to be so enchantment heavy they didn't want that much removal for it (Naturalize, Putrefy would be enough.)
Really wish they had just reprinted a Putrefy variant without the anti-regen clause.

Crocodile

It was most definitely seeing play through Gatecrash.

Really? Maybe my memory is failing me because I don't remember seeing that much of the card after the B/G zombie hype died down. There was that B/G Kibler deck but it was more a flash in the pan like the early B/R Zombie deck rather than a consistent and major part of the metagame. I think that came near the end of the RTR season but I certainly don't remember it lasting very long into Gatecrash season and it defiantly was gone before Dragon's Maze hit. Besides those two decks, what else played the Troll?

Regardless, other regenerators are seeing play just fine. It's not Putrefy that's holding the card down but rather that no deck at the moment wants to play it. It doesn't have a home so to speak. It wouldn't be the first good card that did jack all during part of its tenure in Standard. If Putrefy was holding down a whole swath of cards I could understand being annoyed but I'm not sure why you care "if" (and that's a big "if") its holding down ONE card unless you're just a huge fan of that card. Which is of course fine but I don't think its a "problem" per say.

Starting to get back into this game after not playing for about 10 years.

Jesus Christ, how did duallands/FOWs/fetchlands get so much more expensive?

OnPoint

General rarity due to time, WotC's refusal to reprint and the existence of the reserved list preventing them from doing so.

Supply and Demand.

0 copies of said cards have since been printed, and a HUGE amount of players have started playing since then. Simple really.

y2dvd

I've recently started using ebay to buy some Magic cards.

It's strangely addicting... I ponder buying cards that I have no intention of running, at least not in the short term.

I've saved some money... but also put a lot of time into it.
I'm starting to lean towards the simplicity of just sticking to websites that sell with set prices.

I think the best investment you could make is all the shock lands. I find myself limited in the decks i make because of the shock lands I don't own. I think I will buy the ones I'm missing so I can have that option to make all sorts of decks when Theros rotates in.

Wonder how much that Sry goddess will go for. Think she's cost a pretty penny.

It occurs to me that I haven't cast a Sigarda since Clones stopped killing her and it seems like slipping an Unflinching Courage on her is one of the dirtiest things that can be done at the moment, so I started up a simple brew:

4 Avacyn’s Pilgrim
3 Elvish Mystic
4 Loxodon Smiter
3 Centaur Healer
4 Advent of the Wurm
3 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Armada Wurm

4 Unflinching Courage
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
3 Oblivion Ring
4 Selesnya Charm

4 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove
9 Forest
5 Plains
1 Gavony Township

Sideboard options?
Voice of Resurgence
Rootborn Defenses
Pacifism
Cavern of Souls
Rhox Faithmender
That enchantment that lets me draw if I have the biggest guy whose name I can't remember atm

I skipped over Scavenging Ooze and Voice in the main deck just cuz I want to cast the largest creatures possible each turn in order to Cloak them up. There's a pretty gnarly hole in my two spot, but I don't mind casting Selesnya Charm for a knight here when necessary. Armada Wurm hasn't been seen by anyone in the better part of a year, but I like him because he's out of Mortars range and provides a couple of dudes to keep me from getting totally hustled if I go for a Garruk -3 the next turn.

I'm not sure if the deck itself is actually any good, but the concept of Armadillo Cloak on Sigarda seems to me to beat everything that isn't Verdict or Nighthawk. I probably have a miserable time playing against B/G Mutilate and I can't imagine U/W is a good matchup before sideboard. On the other hand, I'm optimistic about facing Kibler or Naya and I'm not sure what Jund does about Sigarda. Tips for main deck I missed or sideboard options against U/W and B/G? Am I an idiot for playing Ajani?

I think the best investment you could make is all the shock lands. I find myself limited in the decks i make because of the shock lands I don't own. I think I will buy the ones I'm missing so I can have that option to make all sorts of decks when Theros rotates in.

Wonder how much that Sry goddess will go for. Think she's cost a pretty penny.

I have some of them and wouldn't mind a playset. Good advice.

I have three Marsh Flats and two Verdant Catacombs. I also have two Reflecting Pool cards (which aren't the same, I know). I also have a play set of Gilt-Leaf Palace for some elf action. hah

Others always drool over them when I bring my rares to FNM.

kirblar

Really? Maybe my memory is failing me because I don't remember seeing that much of the card after the B/G zombie hype died down. There was that B/G Kibler deck but it was more a flash in the pan like the early B/R Zombie deck rather than a consistent and major part of the metagame. I think that came near the end of the RTR season but I certainly don't remember it lasting very long into Gatecrash season and it defiantly was gone before Dragon's Maze hit. Besides those two decks, what else played the Troll?

Regardless, other regenerators are seeing play just fine. It's not Putrefy that's holding the card down but rather that no deck at the moment wants to play it. It doesn't have a home so to speak. It wouldn't be the first good card that did jack all during part of its tenure in Standard. If Putrefy was holding down a whole swath of cards I could understand being annoyed but I'm not sure why you care "if" (and that's a big "if") its holding down ONE card unless you're just a huge fan of that card. Which is of course fine but I don't think its a "problem" per say.
It was getting played in Junk Reanimator as a 2-4x, depending on how heavily the build pushed Lingering Souls.

I stopped by one of my local movie/game/hobby stores and they had eight remaining From the Vault 20 boxes priced at $150.

And starting tomorrow they are having a labor day sale and the game cards are buy one get one free, so I scoped them out to see what I would want.

The really good stuff, fetch lands for example, have been sold out for some time and no one has traded any in lately. And if they have Jace in stock they likely pulled him from the counter.

However there are some interesting stuff like Desecration Demon priced at $1.99 each, so if I buy four I can get them for a buck a piece. I already have a play set I bought from an online store but I wouldn't mind a play set for trading fodder.

Lotleth Troll was a dollar or two.

I hate to go there and just, blow money and pick up things I don't plan on using right away, but I will likely pick up things on the cheap with the intent to trade.

Top Bottom