• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
They will probably be overcosted and not very good in constructed.
Most keywords only seem to have 1 or 2 examples where they are pushed to be playable and the rest are just for limited.

Even then, we've already seen a 2cmc, punishing naturalize. This thing feels like....flavorful. Looking forward to seeing what's playable in standard. That archon is close

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So over/under on their being a hexproof neolicid?

Hey I heard you like Hexproof so you can put this hexproof dude on your hexproof dude to hexproof while you hexproof.

Exokell

Banned
That's a major issue, right? Naturalize is now instant, no clause, splash able removal for some of the most powerful creatures.

I mean, my mono-green deck rejoices, but that's an issue. I'll be super happy to trade my 2cmc for your 5-7cmc on your turn, thanks
If youre green, I bet youre gonna be using all youre mana every turn :p. Anyway nobody is gonna play enchantments that cost 6 to 7. And how are you gonna destroy Thasa when shes indestructible?

WanderingWind

If youre green, I bet youre gonna be using all youre mana every turn :p. Anyway nobody is gonna play enchantments that cost 6 to 7. And how are you gonna destroy Thasa when shes indestructible?

No way. Mono green keeps mana open all the time for guile and with mana dorks. You're only tapping out early to throw out T2-3 fatties.

Good point on indestructible. But she'll have to have 5 mana symbols on non-land permanents. How often does mono- blue have a ton of things in play? Like, almost never? That could change though!

Wichu

So apparently Thassa's wording is confirmed.

Thassa, God of the Sea - 2U
Legendary Enchantment Creature — God
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to blue is less than five, Thassa isn’t a creature. (Each U in the mana costs of permanents you control adds to your devotion to blue.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, scry 1.
1U: Target creature you control can't be blocked this turn.
5/5

No more Naturalizing her before she turns into a creature!

WanderingWind

Indestructible
As long as your devotion to blue is less than five, Thassa isn’t a creature. (Each U in the mana costs of permanents you control adds to your devotion to blue.)
5/5

Wow. Ok. So a 5/5 indestrucible card advantage for 2cmc in blue?

Holy shit.

Oh and unblockable

Indestructible
5/5

If this card is real... O_O'

Exokell

Banned
No way. Mono green keeps mana open all the time for guile and with mana dorks. You're only tapping out early to throw out T2-3 fatties.

Good point on indestructible. But she'll have to have 5 mana symbols on non-land permanents. How often does mono- blue have a ton of things in play? Like, almost never? That could change though!
I really dont think youre gonna have 2 mana up with green, especially if kalonian hydra is gonna see play.
Aetherling and detention spehere is already 3 island symbols(+1 from thasa). Thasa is gonna be an absolute beast with control, scry combined with rev and opportunity is ridiculous.

Edit: also 2 island symbols with Jace. This card is gonna be really really expensive.

Wichu

Wow. Ok. So a 5/5 indestrucible card advantage for 2cmc in blue?

Holy shit.

Oh and unblockable

She doesn't give card advantage, just draw filtering. And she's only a 5/5 when your devotion to blue is at least 5. Let's not get too excited here.

would play

ultron87

That's a crazy card.

I love the flavor of the god granting a bit of her essence to anyone, but then manifesting fully to a true dedicated follower.

WanderingWind

I really dont think youre gonna have 2 mana up with green, especially if kalonian hydra is gonna see play.
Aetherling and detention spehere is already 3 island symbols(+1 from thasa). Thasa is gonna be an absolute beast with control, scry combined with rev and opportunity is ridiculous.

I agree Thasa is a beast. But under no circumstances will you run a Kalonian hydra out naked. That's some rank amateur stuff right there...lol. Never ever ever, unless you like the feeling of tapping out and losing your creature in the same turn.

Wichu

Also, she has a pretty cool interaction with Aetherling.

If she's targeted by, say, a Selesnya Charm, you can blink Aetherling out, drop your devotion below five, and fizzle the spell as she turns back into a noncreature enchantment :p

bigkrev

But what was wrong with Licids? I think Licids are some of the coolest creatures they tried to make, Bestow looks like they will think its too powerful and be too expensive to see use. Right now they have a 7 CMC card that, IMO, is worse than Angellic Destiny and makes all cheap Enchantment hate awesome, especially since Enchantment is a type on the card.

Really hope they didn't think Licids were broken. Ws hoping they would come back...

Licids, apart from not being that popular, are probably the single most confusing mechanic ever designed.

The chance of them coming back was approx. 0%

Exokell

Banned
I agree Thasa is a beast. But under no circumstances will you run a Kalonian hydra out naked. That's some rank amateur stuff right there...lol. Never ever ever, unless you like the feeling of tapping out and losing your creature in the same turn.

oh you will run kalonian if its gonna have haste(ogre battledriver is absolutely gonna see play or Exava).

I think I'll playtest that Ember Swallower for my Legacy Dragon Stompy list. I could see it being played Turn 3 and possibly activated next turn to effectively lock the opponent out of mana and spells while you bash with a 7/8.

Indestructible
5/5

So that means the 5/5 giant snake that can be cast for GG is a "devotion to green" card.

An-Det

Indestructible
5/5

Wow. Is there a way to remove enchantments like this in Standard/Modern besides All is Dust? Hell, aside from PTE, I can't think of many playable ways to get rid of it as a creature either.

ultron87

Wow. Is there a way to remove enchantments like this in Standard/Modern besides All is Dust? Hell, aside from PTE, I can't think of many playable ways to get rid of it as a creature either.

Merciless Eviction and Angelic Edict will get it in Standard in either mode. Both super expensive of course. Erase was there too, but that's rotating out with M13. And Detention Sphere of course.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Image.ashx

O-Ring/Detention Sphere do the trick as well.

OnPoint

Indestructible
5/5

What the what

Wichu

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";78547861]So that means the 5/5 giant snake that can be cast for GG is a "devotion to green" card.[/QUOTE]

Possibly. It's not a god, though, since the green god Nylea doesn't look anything like a snake. Maybe it's something like 5GG and costs X less where X is your devotion to green?

JulianImp

Possibly. It's not a god, though, since the green god Nylea doesn't look anything like a snake. Maybe it's something like 5GG and costs X less where X is your devotion to green?

That's quite likely as well, since I remember MaRo once pulled a trick like this with a hydra (Khalni Hydra, I believe?), stating in his next set's predictions that we'd be able to cast an 8/8 creature for G (or free, I forget which), and it was only because of the hydra's mana cost reduction ability.

Thassa is really exciting. I think everyone assumed these gods were going to be gigantic spells costing what a titan would or more, but this is costed really aggressively. Still not sure what it will look like in action. If you had Aetherling in play, you would just attack with your Aetherling and win. Being an enchantment block, it seems more likely to me that you'll reach 5 devotion with planeswalkers and other enchantments and this will fight with Aetherling for the role of finisher in a control shell where this one helps you dig to the answers you need in the early game.

So I have played MTG 2012 and 2013 on PC and have started to get interested in the physical game. Is there a good place to start or good decks to get for starters? I will be playing this mainly with my son, we play the Pokemon TCG together quite often but I am looking to start playing this with him as well. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So I have played MTG 2012 and 2013 on PC and have started to get interested in the physical game. Is there a good place to start or good decks to get for starters? I will be playing this mainly with my son, we play the Pokemon TCG together quite often but I am looking to start playing this with him as well. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you like deckbuilding, pick up a Deckbuilders Toolkit. They're about $20 and come with almost 300 cards. If you just want to play, grab a couple of Intro Decks. M14, which just came out, is a core set and fairly friendly to newcomers.

Lucario

Textless Cryptic Command was a troll idea taken way, way too far.

Textless CC was a terriblarious idea. I giggle every time I see it

RE: Thassa.

This card is really fucking difficult to evaluate, because there's really nothing like it.

2U for an indestructible enchantment that can scry 1 every turn isn't enough on its own, outside of boardwipe-heavy formats. I'm looking at you, EDH.

The '1U -- some shit is unblockable now' ability implies this wants to be in deck with large, aggressive, nonevasive beaters -- such as thassa herself.

Her "chroma 5 -- this becomes a 5/5" ability....

I don't even fucking know.

Jace AoT does't stay on the board for very long, Memory Adept doesn't belong in the same deck as this, Claustrophobia isn't anywhere near playable in constructed, Aetherling is overkill with this (except in control v control), and block constructed blue decks didn't have much else that lingered on the field for too long. The most likely scenario where this would activate seems like.... 2x Detention Sphere and a Jace on the board.

Other formats have far more exciting things do to with Thassa, and the idea of flashing her in from vial is completely and utterly sick, but that's probably too slow for any vial based deck in the history of ever. Even fish won't always be able to keep its dudes lingering on the board, but I can't deny that Thassa is tempting to test as a 1-2 of. Her and tidebinder mage pretty much equate to a permanently unblockable team.

Of course, fish would need to put up better results before this happens. And we'd have to have magical christmasland-y hands where we draw multiple UU lords, stick 'em on the field with a turn 1 vial, and have them stay there. The scry 1 ability also isn't monumentally helpful in decks that try to win at a reasonable rate, but.... well, if it lasts long enough to put a useless land on the bottom, I can see it being approximately worth a card.

Back to standard -- If we're to enter a format where this card will never activate outside of mirror matches (where AoT can linger on the field for a bit longer, and Detention Spheres and needle'd Aetherlings pile up), it'll still see sideboard play for the reasons stated above.

I like it -- very creative design -- but too many of the abilities are too conditional for me to want to drop $80 on a set.

Absurd in control v control though. Absurd enough that I'd consider running more than a few in my board, as landing one before your opponent could be pretty devastating.

Intro decks can be fun unless you want to play Friday Night Magic with other Magic players.

Check here for some reviews: http://ertaislament.com/

Thanks aidan and blindrocket, I'll look into those. I don't think I'll be doing the Friday Night Magic for a while, its mainly a father - son thing right now. I do like deck building, we actually build our decks for pokemon before we play it.

OnPoint

Textless CC was a terriblarious idea. I giggle every time I see it

RE: Thassa.

This card is really fucking difficult to evaluate, because there's really nothing like it.

2U for an indestructible enchantment that can scry 1 every turn isn't enough on its own, outside of boardwipe-heavy formats. I'm looking at you, EDH.

The '1U -- some shit is unblockable now' ability implies this wants to be in deck with large, aggressive, nonevasive beaters -- such as thassa herself.

Her "chroma 5 -- this becomes a 5/5" ability....

I don't even fucking know.

All round good analysis. I think the card finds a home honestly

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There would have to be enough cards for a blue tempo deck for Thassa to have a home in standard.

Jeff-DSA

I'm finding that my mono green deck is just ridiculous. Post rotation, it's going to be even more insane and hard to deal with.

Right now I'm having a lot of fun with a B/W deck. It's essentially an Extort/Lifelink creature deck that relies on Sanguine Bond to get the job done over time. Liliana can essentially end the game when you give a creature with lifelink the +X/+X as long as you have your Sanguine Bond out and a good number of swamps.

It's susceptible to getting into trouble against really fast decks, but the 1 drops (Festering Newts) keep me afloat until I have what I need out to wear them down. There are better decks, but this is by far the most fun deck I've put together for a while. There's nothing more funny than dropping a Crypt Incursion when you have Sanguine Bond (or two) in play.

I'd play Thassa in some deck with Wistful Selkie, but that's just me.

Wacky card. I like the balls-out enchantment theme so far.

I wonder what Shadowmoor/Eventide/Theros drafts would look like? Hmmm...

I think I'll playtest that Ember Swallower for my Legacy Dragon Stompy list. I could see it being played Turn 3 and possibly activated next turn to effectively lock the opponent out of mana and spells while you bash with a 7/8.

Just too much mana to get the monstrosity effect. Just play Instigator Gang in the four drop slot and kill them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You get to choose your opening hand, and the decks are split into two piles, lands and non-lands. Every draw phase you choose which pile to draw from.

Lucario

8 Young Pyromancer
6 Goblin Electromancer
8 Battle Hymn
4 Past in Flames
2 Faithless Looting
4 Desperate Ravings
2 Burn at the Stake
2 Increasing Confusion
3 Reforge the Soul
some lands go here

Top Bottom