• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

zoukka

Last match, I have 1 life, nothing in table but lands and Angelic Accord. Opponent has three creatures, Regathan Firecat got enchanted with Mark of the Vampire and I had chumped it.

Little did my opponent know I had an Act of Treason in hand :)

Ended up winning :)

Last match, I have 1 life, nothing in table but lands and Angelic Accord. Opponent has three creatures, Regathan Firecat got enchanted with Mark of the Vampire and I had chumped it.

Little did my opponent know I had an Act of Treason in hand :)

Ended up winning :)

I had fun playing that on an opponents big bad creature and then using Barrage of Expendables to kill it before my turn was up and do one additional damage. :)

zoukka

I had fun playing that on an opponents big bad creature and then using Barrage of Expendables to kill it before my turn was up and do one additional damage. :)

Yeah I had one more Act of Treason and I drew a Gnawing Zombie so I got to do the exact same trick.

I've noticed I can't pass an Accord or a cauldron recently. They are deceptively powerful.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Achievement Unlocked: Killed someone with Vraska's ultimate. Even better when you see his life total.

9640434062_16ec4c9213_o.jpg

EDIT: On a roll, just got a maze's end win.

ultron87

Ended up dropping from SCG today at 4-3-1. There were so many UW control mirrors and long rounds. I may think twice about playing control at future big tournaments.

ultron87

I generally like playing it, but having never done a big constructed event before I didn't really consider just how long ten rounds really is.

ultron87

I meant that generally post-DGM, playing Wraths has been wrong.
I managed to have enough Essence Scatters and whatnot to keep the anti wrath stuff off the board. And didn't see any Caverns except in the mirror.

But I haven't played nearly enough to actually know the meta. So it is totally possible it is wrong. Seeing some of those decks make top 8s last weekend made it seem like a reasonable choice. Admittedly having most of the cards since I used to run Esper made it an easier choice for my wallet.

Mikey Jr.

Yes you play it on your opponent's creature making that creature nearly useless.

Ohh, thought it had to say "target" if it meant I could attack another player.

So it only lasts for 1 turn, or does it stay on until it dies or he gets rid of it?

Thanks a lot.

We are trying to learn, but there is so much stuff that is ambiguous, and terms we don't know, etc.

The starter guide that comes with the starter pack is virtually useless.

Yeef

You can put auras on an opponents creature.
(unless they say otherwise).

Examples:

Image.ashx

The "enchant" keyword determines what an aura can be attached to. If it's ever attached to something that no longer fits that description, then it falls off and goes to it owner's graveyard. So, in murder investigation's case, if someone plays Act of Treason on the creature it enchants, Murder Investigation would fall off since it would no longer be a "creature you control."

Image.ashx

Yeef

So it only lasts for 1 turn, or does it stay on until it dies or he gets rid of it?

Thanks a lot.

We are trying to learn, but there is so much stuff that is ambiguous, and terms we don't know, etc.

The best ways to learn, in order from most useful to least useful (in my opinion):
  1. Have someone that already knows how to play teach you.
  2. Duels of the Planeswalkers video games
  3. Youtube videos
  4. Read the Basic Rulebook (found here)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Thanks a lot.

It stays on until he gets rid of it, either by getting rid of it directly or killing the creature.

Mikey Jr.

Thanks guys.

The game is fun as hell though, despite our ignorance.

Any accessories you guys recommend to make our playing a little more enjoyable? Maybe some mats to put our cards on? I saw some people using large 20 sided dice for health. Maybe some sort of card holder to put my library in?

Yeef

Thanks guys.

The game is fun as hell though, despite our ignorance.

Any accessories you guys recommend to make our playing a little more enjoyable? Maybe some mats to put our cards on? I saw some people using large 20 sided dice for health. Maybe some sort of card holder to put my library in?
A way to keep track of life is always great. Most people will use dice, though phone/tablet apps are becoming popular. More competitive players to to stick to a pad and paper.

A way to store and organize your cards is important once you start getting a bunch, but since you're new just deck boxes should be enough. If you really get into it, consider getting the Holiday Gift Box, which is a great way to store a collection for a relatively low cost.

If you do start a collection, consider getting sleeves for your cards. Some of these cards can be worth a fair amount of money, so keeping them in good condition is important.

Playmats aren't all that necessary, less so if your cards are sleeved. They do look nice though. They're basically little more than bling.

Sinatar

- Sleeves are definitely the most important thing.
- Playmats are a giant waste of money and you look like a complete nob when you pull one out too.
- Tracking life is pretty simple. Dice work, pen & paper work, there are even phone apps for it now.
- Storing cards is the hard part, finding good boxes is pretty tough.

WanderingWind

Agreed on the playmat, with one caveat. I have one for one store that I go to that has sticky tables that necessitate resleeving if you play without playmats. It sits in my trunk and only comes out for that store.

Plus, the My Little Pony shit. So many MLP playmats. Ew.

Sinatar

Agreed on the playmat, with one caveat. I have one for one store that I go to that has sticky tables that necessitate resleeving if you play without playmats. It sits in my trunk and only comes out for that store.

Plus, the My Little Pony shit. So many MLP playmats. Ew.

Fair enough, if your play surface is really scummy then a playmat is fine.

WanderingWind

I'm sad that Descendent's Path isn't a wallpaper somewhere. I'm not about to buy a custom playmat, but that art is amazing.

PAX Spoilers!

Underworld Cerberus Mythic 3BR (6/6)
~ can't be blocked except by three or more creatures.
Cards in graveyards can't be the target of spells or abilities.
When ~ dies, exile it, and all players return all creature cards from his or her graveyard to his or her hand.

Read the Bones Common 2B Sorcery
Scry 2, then draw two cards. You lose two life.

Commune with the Gods Common 1G Sorcery
Reveal the top 5 cards of your library. You may put a creature or enchantment card from among them into your hand. Put the rest into your graveyard.

Rageblood Shaman Rare 1RR (2/3)
Creature - Minotaur Shaman
Trample
Other Minotaur creatures you control get +1/+1 and have trample

Voyage's End Common 1U Instant
Return target creature to its owner's hand. Scry 1.

Thoughtseize Rare (reprint)

Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx Rare Legendary Land
T: Add 1 to your mana pool
2, T: Choose a color. Add an amount of mana of that color to your mana pool equal to your devotion to that color.

Elspeth, Sun's Champion Mythic 4WW Planeswalker (4 loyalty)
+1: Put three 1/1 white Solder creature tokens onto the battlefield
-3: Destroy all creatures with power 4 or greater.
-7: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +2/+2 and have flying"

Rescue from the Underworld Uncommon 4B Instant
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a creature.
Choose target creature card in your graveyard. Return that card and the sacrificed card to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step. Exile ~.

WanderingWind

PAX Spoilers!

Underworld Cerberus 3BR
~ can't be blocked except by three or more creatures.
Cards in graveyards can't be the target of spells or abilities.
When ~ dies, exile it, and all players return all creature cards from his or her graveyard to his or her hand.

Oh man, that flavor is KING

red13th

So far set seems very Innistrad-like, in the sense of designing mechanics/effects to fit the card's flavour. That Cerberus is very flavourful.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rescue from the Underworld Uncommon 4B Instant
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a creature.
Choose target creature card in your graveyard. Return that card and the sacrificed card to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of the next end step. Exile ~.

This

Is

Awesome

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I can see it being playable, if the format slows down even more.

Also, I play Golgari (the rock?) control for this, but I'm playing with more than aggro decks now. I'm very much enjoying UWR control right now.

Yeah, a flicker and a revival for 5 isn't bad on its own, if things aren't too hectic I can see it getting used. Instant speed is what cinches its chances, I think

Top Bottom