• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Exokell

Banned
Theres some really really good cards and flavor in this set. I'm so excited :)

Anyway Nylea is really bad, I could see people playing 1 on their sideboard for its trample or sweepers.
Nykthos: could be super powerful with decks that run BTE.
Thoughtseize: Fuck yeah! 20 tix card turns to 3 or 5 tix!
Voyager's end: Red aggro decks are gonna be one of top decks with rotation, I dont know if this card is gonna be any good. But scry is very powerful in limited.
Rageblood Shaman: awesome :)
Commune with Gods: Wish it was an instant spell :(
Read the Bones: Divination thats fucking awesome! Cant believe black has this. Its insane.
Underworld Cerberus: I really dont like this card, a draw engine when it dies and can only be blocked with 3 creatures.
Hammer of Purphoros: Sideboard card. I think its bad.
Rescue from underworld: Too expensive, but flavorful and good in limited.
Chained to Rocks: Sorcery speed removal, I never liked em :(. But seems really great though.

Lucario

Underworld Cerberus is really fucking obnoxious. Creature heavy jund decks, if they're a thing again, are going to be uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

that is not a symmetrical effect

Exokell

Banned
Underworld Cerberus is really fucking obnoxious. Creature heavy jund decks, if they're a thing again, are going to be uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

that is not a symmetrical effect
Err it does nothing. It has no haste and etb effect, and can be easily exiled or turned/burn.

Lucario

Err it does nothing. It has no haste and etb effect, and can be easily exiled or turned/burn.

turn/burn wouldn't even put you ahead
you're not even gaining tempo

Exiling effects are gonna be a pain for it, but thinking it does nothing is shortsighted. It's a nearly unblockable 6/6 for 5 that puts you immeasurably far ahead in response to most forms of removal. Boardwipe especially.

It does, however, require support that doesn't exist right now. If it was in the old standard format, jund would play the fuck out of it.

edit: Fuck, I really hope the meta doesn't turn into creature heavy jund vs U/W control decks using aetherling as a finisher. Azorius Charm is the only truly obnoxious response for this card, and even then you might have a sac outlet.

Exokell

Banned
turn/burn wouldn't even put you ahead
you're not even gaining tempo

Exiling effects are gonna be a pain for it, but thinking it does nothing is kinda hilarious. It's a nearly unblockable 6/6 for 5 that puts you immeasurably far ahead in response to most forms of removal. Boardwipe especially.

It does, however, require support that doesn't exist right now. If it was in the old standard format, jund would play the fuck out of it.
I still rather play thragtusk even if this card is in standard right now. This card is being overhyped. It dies to turn and burn, azorious charm, chained to rocks, banisher priest, pacifism or thoughtseize:)P).

Edit: Oh yeah and elspeth is bad.

bigkrev

Daxos of something 1WU

Cannot be blocked by creatures power 3 or greater
When he hits a player, exile top card of their deck, gain life equal to its cost, and you may cast it with any color mana
2/2

From the panel

bigkrev

Lulz
01b3556e8f652eaa75054b97aacfcc6f_zpsba2e9df3.jpg

kirblar

should I buy a set of chandra? It seems like the card is best with jund, but that deck is gonna rotate out soon. I just dont see any deck for it.
It's a very good card, and the format's about to slow down. It's not something I see going down any time soon (although a likely M15 reprint.)

y2dvd

Curse of swines into Rachet Bombs lulz. Oh an I think Thassa Goddess is totally playable. That Sry at upkeep is so good!

Rules Question:

If I cast the instant Silence in response to a spell my opponent plays during his main phase (say a creature card). Does that mean the creature card is illegally cast and goes to the graveyard?

f0rk

Rules Question:

If I cast the instant Silence in response to a spell my opponent plays during his main phase (say a creature card). Does that mean the creature card is illegally cast and goes to the graveyard?

No, as it says on the card cards cast before Silence resolves are not affected. 'Casting' a card means putting it on the stack.

kirblar

Rules Question:

No. You have to pre-empt the card getting cast. Say, by casting it in response to a Cascade trigger.

Exokell

Banned
It's a very good card, and the format's about to slow down. It's not something I see going down any time soon (although a likely M15 reprint.)
the format is not gonna slow down, RTR blocks top deck is Red aggro. Its at 7 tx on MTGO, I might buy just 2, I just feel like the card has no home right now.

kirblar

the format is not gonna slow down, RTR blocks top deck is Red aggro. Its at 7 tx on MTGO, I might buy just 2, I just feel like the card has no home right now.
It's because it's the cheapest "good" deck by a mile. It didn't do well at the PT- control decks were all over the place.

f0rk

Are you sure the deck being so cheap doesn't skew the format?
beatennnnnnn

RtR Jace is definitely on my pick up list, it gets even better with a lot of Scry around

No. You have to pre-empt the card getting cast. Say, by casting it in response to a Cascade trigger.

Ok good, so I havent used it incorrectly so far. Now say my opponents turn is about to begin, ive got Silence in my hand and one untapped Plains burning a hole in my pocket. When is the soonest I can play that instant? In response to him dropping a land? Or must I wait until he casts something in his (first) main phase?

kirblar

Ok good, so I havent used it incorrectly so far. Now say my opponents turn is about to begin, ive got Silence in my hand and one untapped Plains burning a hole in my pocket. When is the soonest I can play that instant? In response to him dropping a land? Or must I wait until he casts something in his (first) main phase?
Upkeep, before he's had a chance to draw anything new.

Exokell

Banned
Are you sure the deck being so cheap doesn't skew the format?
beatennnnnnn

RtR Jace is definitely on my pick up list, it gets even better with a lot of Scry around
RTR jace costs 20 right now on MTGO, so I cant bulk buy right now. The profit would be only 5 tix each.
With opportunity, I think grixis control will be really strong. So I stocked up some Ral Zarek for 7 tix :)

I lost my first game... due to running out of time!
ARGHHHH!!! :)

I had him down to one life as well. lol
A desecration Demon and Ash Zealot on the board, with a Rakdos, Lord of Riots in my hand.

Thankfully he was a nice fellow and patient with me being a n00b to the software.

Really looking forward to Theros, but I'm probably not a typical Magic player. I like to just play the cards of a block and that's it, and like Innistrad this one looks to deliver in terms of a really cool theme supported by great flavorful cards. Zendikar looked to be the same but I really didn't like where the block went with the last two sets. Innistrad managed to stay great, here's hoping that Theros manages to stay great in its final two as well.

Limited needs those kinds of cards to work properly. "Bad" removal is actually good for the limited format because it means that you'll always be able to find something in the draft for your deck that can kill stuff.

Another new card:
894C7i6.jpg

Limited needs those kinds of cards to work properly. "Bad" removal is actually good for the limited format because it means that you'll always be able to find something in the draft for your deck that can kill stuff.

Another new card:
894C7i6.jpg

Divine verdict? Bad, but good in limited and I'm 100 percent okay with it. Liturgy too. 6 mana is really pushing it especially when it is sorcery.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I get limited removal. That doesn't mean they can't ALSO print good removal. Putrify and to a lesser extent Doom Blade are nice.

Removal and counters are super weak and they're the best defense against all the great creatures that are being pushed.

Top Bottom