• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
BTC8t6lCQAA8u3-.jpg

Okay this is just getting silly

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";79361473]Cerberus is gonna eat my milling deck, but Thoughtsieze is gonna save it :-3[/QUOTE]
Cerberus into Sire is lolololol

Chained to the Rocks is so weird. I understand the flavor of it all, but I didn't think they would ever take it THAT far. A white card that has to enchant a mountain you control? So it's unplayable in anything but a Boros deck. But it's not even that good. Journey to Nowhere is better in almost every situation.

And it's rare on top of that? What the hell, man.

Booted up the MGO beta. Now I need cards.
Where is the best / reliable place to order singles for MGO?
I am completely wet behind the ears with this.

I also feel like I should put the brakes on future deck building until Theros gets spoiled. lol

I've been buying cards off ebay for a future build but things may change!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I also feel like I should put the brakes on future deck building until Theros gets spoiled. lol

I've been buying cards off ebay for a future build but things may change!

That's very wise. Right now all cards in Standard are about as expensive as they'll be. The stuff rotating out later this month (for all intents and purposes) and then the RTR block cards that may not be as expensive once stuff from Theros makes them obsolete.

For instance, Pyroclasm is a rumored reprint. If that happens, Voice is going to nosedive in price to a respectable 20 bucks.

kirblar

That's very wise. Right now all cards in Standard are about as expensive as they'll be. The stuff rotating out later this month (for all intents and purposes) and then the RTR block cards that may not be as expensive once stuff from Theros makes them obsolete.

For instance, Pyroclasm is a rumored reprint. If that happens, Voice is going to nosedive in price to a respectable 20 bucks.
...it is?

Booted up the MGO beta. Now I need cards.
Where is the best / reliable place to order singles for MGO?
I am completely wet behind the ears with this.

There are two ways to buy singles on MTGO:

1) Buy tickets from the store ($1 apiece), and use those as currency to trade with "bots." If a card you buy is worth less than a ticket, the bot will keep the difference as credit for you to spend later.

2) Buy "bot credit" directly from a bot chain, or in some cases you can just buy cards directly with cash. Bots generally give a small discount for paying cash instead of tickets.

Bot chains I use:

MTGO Traders: http://www.mtgotraders.com
Marlon: http://www.marlonmtgo.com
CardBot (mostly for selling, not so much for buying): http://www.cardbotmtgo.com

Bots also sell packs in addition to singles. Never, ever, ever, ever buy packs from the store without checking the bot's sell price first. You will almost always get a discount for buying packs from bots instead of direct from WotC. A draft costs 14 tickets ($14) normally; you can chop that down to less than 12 usually by buying packs from bots instead.

Opening packs IRL is a bad investment; it's even worse online. Most commons, uncommons, and rares will be vastly cheaper than in paper. Most playable mythics will actually be more expensive than in paper, so keep that in mind.

Academy_Standardbot
CardWorld

are the two I use.

Thanks, would you mind giving me a little tutorial on what I should do? I assume these are "users" that I find with the client. I went to the trade section and it wasn't all that understandable to me.
I also assume that is just for trading, and not purchasing - within the client. Is that the case?

Thanks again. Gotta hit the sack though. When baby sleeps, we sleep.... or else... we won't get any sleep!

EDIT: AH! The tickets. Thanks. :)

1) Buy tickets from the store ($1 apiece), and use those as currency to trade with "bots." If a card you buy is worth less than a ticket, the bot will keep the difference as credit for you to spend later.

2) Buy "bot credit" directly from a bot chain, or in some cases you can just buy cards directly with cash. Bots generally give a small discount for paying cash instead of tickets.

Bot chains I use:

CardBot (mostly for selling, not so much for buying): http://www.cardbotmtgo.com

Bots also sell packs in addition to singles. Never, ever, ever, ever buy packs from the store without checking the bot's sell price first. You will almost always get a discount for buying packs from bots instead of direct from WotC. A draft costs 14 tickets ($14) normally; you can chop that down to less than 12 usually by buying packs from bots instead.

Opening packs IRL is a bad investment; it's even worse online. Most commons, uncommons, and rares will be vastly cheaper than in paper. Most playable mythics will actually be more expensive than in paper, so keep that in mind.

Hammer of Purphoros 1RR
Legendary Enchantment Artifact (Rare)
Creatures you control have haste.
2R, {T}, Sacrifice a land: Put a 3/3 colorless Golem enchantment artifact creature token onto the battlefield.

So in Limited, it turns your topdecked land into a 3/3 Haste creature.

And does stone nothing otherwise?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Passive trample on everything is awesome, but 3G for +2/+2 seems a little underwhelming. Unless Green in the set has more then usual mana accel

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nylea is so bad oh my god what the fuck.

I guess the gods are Theros' "cool flashy useless newbie trap" cards.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
...it is?

Heard it from the same podcast (Heavy Meta) from their anonymous source that was right about RtR, a ton of MM cards (including Thoughtseize NOT being in there) and enchantment creatures. Could all be lucky guesses, but it's a rumor with at least a bit of weight behind it.

Hammer of Purphoros 1RR
Legendary Enchantment Artifact (Rare)
Creatures you control have haste.
2R, {T}, Sacrifice a land: Put a 3/3 colorless Golem enchantment artifact creature token onto the battlefield.

So in Limited, it turns your topdecked land into a 3/3 Haste creature.

And does stone nothing otherwise?

Whoa. I like this one.

Holy hell at the cost of Standard right now

TOTAL PRICE 381.96 tickets

Sphinx's Revelation 159.40
Voice of Resurgence 172.44
Obzedat, Ghost Council 48.00
Warleader's Helix 0.22
Dissipate 0.80
Assemble the Legion 1.10

Yeef

I just threw together a standard deck for a tournament I'm running tomorrow. Originally I wasn't going to play, because I'm not a fan of standard, but then I said "screw it," and threw this together:

Cards
  • 3 Scavenging Ooze
  • 4 Loxodon Smiter
  • 4 Lingering Souls
  • 2 Voice of Resurgence
  • 4 Advent of the Wurm
  • 4 Doomed Traveler
  • 4 Abrupt Decay
  • 4 Doom Blade
  • 4 Young Wolf
  • 3 Tragic Slip

Lands
  • 4 Temple Garden
  • 4 Overgrown Tomb
  • 4 Woodland Cemetery
  • 4 Sunpetal Grove
  • 2 Gavony Township
  • 4 Godless Shrine
  • 1 Isolated Chapel
  • 1 Forest
Sideboard
  • 4 Ranger's Guile
  • 3 Rootborn Defenses
  • 3 Naturalize
  • 1 Tragic Slip
  • 4 Devour Flesh

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sure but isn't that magical Xmas land style stuff?

In what kind of magic christmas land would you spend your first 4 turns laying down two weenie attackers with deathtouch and trample?

That's like the equivalent of coal for christmas. Poverty magic christmasland.

Nylea would only be worth it if she had both haste and trample and costing 2GG.

kirblar

In what kind of magic christmas land would you spend your first 4 turns laying down two weenie attackers with deathtouch and trample?

The gods themselves seems to be very commander oriented. And that's ok.

OnPoint

No I agree she blows. Like real bad

y2dvd

I think this card is deceptively bad. (relative to other options.) Very strong though.

I disagree. In a format where the gods are indestructible and enchantments will run amuck, getting to exile for 1 cmc will allow you to 2 for 1 most targets.

f0rk

I disagree. In a format where the gods are indestructible and enchantments will run amuck, getting to exile for 1 cmc will allow you to 2 for 1 most targets.

The gods probably won't see play, even the blue one is too much effort to turn on.
Auras still seem bad and this isn't instant so they still get to hit you at least once if there are any worthwhile ones. Wouldn't expect that many 2 for 1s.
If anything is going to run amuck it will be enchantment removal, so it's hard to count on this as a permanent answer. Also you'd feel really terrible if there is any playable land removal.
It's quite restrictive in where you can play it as you need a certain number of mountains.

Still a good card but there are better options.

zoukka

At this point it's impossible to know for sure, but to me the card seems awful. Conditional removal that can be countered later on feels very weak to me.

And the green god was unplayable as expected :b

The gods probably won't see play, even the blue one is too much effort to turn on.

I thought the blue god was pretty nuts...

bigkrev

Elspeth opens as a $20 preorder on Starcity....

I already miss the days of every Planeswalker getting preordered at 40 dollars or more

Nylea doesn't seem so bad to me. It doesn't sound like a stretch to achieve Devotion 5, at which point she's kind of hard to deal with.

Can the gods get animated into creatures (like with Opalescence) if you don't have the devotion? The "isn't a creature" clause kind of throws me for a loop here. I'm not sure that Magic has ever used a conditional negative like that.

If they can, this makes Opalescence potentially worthy of throwing into a Cube.

Bot chains I use:

I'm going to buy $60 bot credit for my BR Rakdos deck. Thanks for the help.

Well bummer... I added $60 in bot credit, and connected with the Marlon bot, was adding a bunch of cards to buy, but then he disconnected. Now it shows that he's back online again, but now won't accept my chat/trade connection. :(

EDIT: The bot accepted me again. :)

EDIT 2: Aaaand he closed the trade again. Is it this difficult to try and buy a lot of cards at once?

zoukka

Well bummer... I added $60 in bot credit, and connected with the Marlon bot, was adding a bunch of cards to buy, but then he disconnected. Now it shows that he's back online again, but now won't accept my chat/trade connection. :(

EDIT: The bot accepted me again. :)

EDIT 2: Aaaand he closed the trade again. Is it this difficult to try and buy a lot of cards at once?

You sure you didn't time out in the trade?

Lucario

boros midrange w/ reckoner, chained to the rocks, magma jet, mizzium mortars, possibly splash for rakdos' return, (ash zealot/perimeter captain), (chandra's phoenix/banisher priest), 1-2 Warleader's Helix, Aurelia, and the new land as a 1-2 of.

Ramp into Aurelia's Fury with it.

edit: angel of serenity

Ah ok, just keep trying then :)

Okay, I was timing out. :)
I thought it would be due to inactivity but it just has a minute window or something so I just had to be fast.

I've played two single matches so far and won both ending each time with a life total of 20.
Obviously it's time to go into the more difficult channels.

One thing is for sure though, I'm hooked! The software isn't nearly as janky as I thought it was going to be (running the beta client).

Top Bottom