• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You can cast it if your opponent doesn't have a green creature.

The fact its SORCERY though makes it completely unplayable other than a SB card where it could be pretty sweet in limited.

Yeef

No you can't.

You can't cast a spell unless all targets are legal at the time of casting. The only legal targets are "green creature you control" and "green creature an opponent controls."

If it allowed it anyway, it'd be worded something like this:

Target green creature you control gets +2/+2 and fights target creature you don't control if that creature is green.

JulianImp

The fact its SORCERY though makes it completely unplayable other than a SB card where it could be pretty sweet in limited.

You must be able to assign all targets to cast a spell or activate an ability, it's just that the spell will still resolve as best as it can if one of the targets is lost before it resolves. Therefore, you can't cast this card unless both you and and opponent have valid targets for it.

EDIT: A viable wording would probably be "Target green creature you control gets +2/+2. It may fight up to one target green creature you don't control."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Random cards found in the closet: an Argivian Archaeologist from Antiquities.

I used to think it was super cool.

LMWx0DLkTdv_EN_LR.jpg
dGRjRy6DYpV_EN_LR.jpg

Dat flavor. On both of those.

Master of Waves is a master class in top-down design. So good. He summons elemental waves based on how much blue you have on board already, and those waves can't exist without him (or some other supporting magic) on the battlefield.

OnPoint

LMWx0DLkTdv_EN_LR.jpg
dGRjRy6DYpV_EN_LR.jpg

Dat flavor. On both of those.

Master of Waves is a master class in top-down design. So good. He summons elemental waves based on how much blue you have on board already, and those waves can't exist without him (or some other supporting magic) on the battlefield.

The first is going into my group hug artifact deck. Hands down. That will be so fun.

The second plays nicely with Young Pyromancer, no?

Battlewise Hoplite WU
Creature - Human Soldier [UNCOMMON]
Heroic - Whenever you cast a spell that targets Battlewise Hoplite, put a +1/+1 counter on Battlewise Hoplite, then scry 1. (To scry 1, look at the top part of your library, then you may put that card on the bottom of your library.) 2/2

Lucario

It's amazing how they made a set full of decent 4-drops

and the best one of them is in RTR.

Azorius Charm adores this set so far.

What's the best midrange card we've seen so far, Cerberus?

Azorius Charm.

The best 4-drop? Foot fetish dude, the one we can't detention sphere?

Azorius Charm/Supreme Verdict.

I haven't seen any Selesnya support, either, so Loxodon Smiter and VoR are kind of just sitting there.

I guess R/B/x could Slaughter Games us to take out win conditions -- I ordered a bunch to do exactly that -- but I'm sure we'll see good finishers outside of Aetherling.

OnPoint

Master wants blue permanents. Pyromancer wants lots of cheap spells. Getting both in the same 60 is...difficult.

I see your point but I'd be curious to see if a deck could be constructed. Maybe it's better to just push forward with Electromancer, put in a burn suite with Ral Zarek and/or Chandra plus the red God and call it a deck.

OnPoint

Hey look, it's utopia tree but 100% better!

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s616/Zeyaad_Pandey/IMG_7687_zpsb7d111bd.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Well, there's some more green ramp. T1 Mystic into T2 this + Mystic means you'll have potentially 6 mana on tap turn 3 with three devotion to green as well. Christmasland indeed.

JulianImp

Why won't they give us Birds of Paradise back. =(

I guess it's because it flies, so it's horribly out of flavor for green. That and the fact that it's more than one bird despite being a 0/1, plus the fact that it can get enchanted/equipped and attack with evasion.

At least the Caryatid's hard to kill and can block BTEs all day. Pus, defender keeps it in check so that a standard hexproof.dec isn't too overpowered.

Just making sure, if I want to kill a creature with Death's Approach, it can only be stopped before it enters the battlefield right? My opponent can't sack a Keening Apparition or whatever to keep their creature alive unless they use an instant to weaken my aura first?

image7cupr.jpg

JulianImp

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";79749373]Just making sure, if I want to kill a creature with Death's Approach, it can only be stopped before it enters the battlefield right? My opponent can't sack a Keening Apparition or whatever to keep their creature alive unless they use an instant to weaken my aura first?

image7cupr.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Correct. The aura doesn't affect the creature until it's finished resolving, and you don't have any time you could take ir off in between, since state-based actions are checked before any player would get priority, killing the creature. The part about pumping the creature before the aura resolves so you get to do something about it after it gets onto your creature is right, as well.

Much thanks.

After considering WanderingWind and others' advice, I think this is a stronger milling deck for standard:

3x Codex Shredder
4x Deathrite Shaman
3x Death's Approach
3x Thoughtsieze(pending)

3x Negate

3x Crypt Incursion
3x Lifebane Zombie
3x Duskmantle Guildmage

3x Desecration Demon
2x Whispering Madness

2x Jace, Memory Adept
2x Traumatize
2x Consuming Abberation

4x Rogue's Passage
4x Watery Grave
16x Swamps/Islands

Also, is it a good idea to put Breeding Pools and Overgrown Tombs for DRS' ability in?

I don't know if I'll get to 8 mana to combo the guildmage with Traumatize or a turn 6 combo with Jace, though.

I cut the Wights of Precinct Six and Tome Scours to clear up 7 slots since the Wights were a massive hit or miss, but I feel vulnerable in the early game.

JulianImp

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";79756741]Much thanks.

After considering WanderingWind and others' advice, I think this is a stronger milling deck for standard:

[deck]

Also, is it a good idea to put Breeding Pools and Overgrown Tombs for DRS' ability in?

I don't know if I'll get to 8 mana to combo the guildmage with Traumatize or a turn 6 combo with Jace, though.

I cut the Wights of Precinct Six and Tome Scours to clear up 7 slots since the Wights were a massive hit or miss, but I feel vulnerable in the early game.[/QUOTE]

DRS's lifegain ability is kind of nice, so you could try it and see what happens, if you can run all those shocklands reliably.

Negate doesn't seem like a good idea if you're dying to creature rush strategies, and Death's Approach is kind of cute but still weak for what it does. I think running Far/Away would be good, since the card has two serviceable sides, but can be cast for some back-breaking value once you hit five mana; it's one of the best DGM split cards, IMO. To stop the early beats, you should be running some stuff such as Essence Scatter or Doom Blade as well.

Also, you should never run 4x Rogue's Passage. By the time you have the requisite five mana and a large creature to hit with, you'll probably have drawn the Passage even if you were running two copies, and the card isn't that relevant anyway (aggro decks will probably be alpha-striking you down to the point you have to hold back your creatures to stay alive). The bigest strike against it, I believe, is that it adds colorless mana, which is a sin when you want to cast your early-game spells reliably enough; you'll end up mulliganing more than once to hands with the Passage in them.

DRS's lifegain ability is kind of nice, so you could try it and see what happens, if you can run all those shocklands reliably.

Negate doesn't seem like a good idea if you're dying to creature rush strategies, and Death's Approach is kind of cute but still weak for what it does. I think running Far/Away would be good, since the card has two serviceable sides, but can be cast for some back-breaking value once you hit five mana; it's one of the best DGM split cards, IMO. To stop the early beats, you should be running some stuff such as Essence Scatter or Doom Blade as well.

Also, you should never run 4x Rogue's Passage. By the time you have the requisite five mana and a large creature to hit with, you'll probably have drawn the Passage even if you were running two copies, and the card isn't that relevant anyway (aggro decks will probably be alpha-striking you down to the point you have to hold back your creatures to stay alive). The bigest strike against it, I believe, is that it adds colorless mana, which is a sin when you want to cast your early-game spells reliably enough; you'll end up mulliganing more than once to hands with the Passage in them.

Death's Approach is too weak even if I'm trying to mill them all the time? I guess it's less useful now without the Tome Scours, though. I'll pull them out for the Far//Aways then.

I'd rather run the dual lands from M13 than Breeding Pools and Overgrown Tombs, but I don't want to use anything that's about to rotate out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It'll be a secret blue card, trust me.

Lucario

just won two playsets of Cerberus

$53 total, shipped

:V

Grakl and I have the shells of three decks built, but the best ones (by far) are R/B midrange and U/W control.

SB Slaughter Games, Rakdos' Return, Rakdos Keyrune, Thoughtseize, Magma Jet, Mizzium Mortars.... All so good in the upcoming meta.

bigkrev

I'm buying 4 Hallowed Fountains, 4 Jace AoT, 4 Revelations, and finishing off a play set of Verdicts. What else should I grab for new standard?

Lucario

I'm buying 4 Hallowed Fountains, 4 Jace AoT, 4 Revelations, and finishing off a play set of Verdicts. What else should I grab for new standard?

I bought all the same stuff, as well as everything below:

Azorius Charm will probably hit $2-3 at some point, if you can unload uncommons easily I'd go deep on it.

2 Aetherling, because, well, you need them. Doubt it'll go too far above $5.

Slaughter Games. The Aetherling decks hate it, it takes out Verdict if you draw redundant copies, and it's generally pretty insane in sideboards, especially in formats we can't really predict.

Mizzium Mortars is really important as a boardwipe in non-UW decks. It takes out Loxodon Smiter (which we both kind of missed the boat on) like a chaaaaamp.

I cannot recommend Underworld Cerberus more. It's going to be a staple in every creature-heavy deck capable of supporting it, and it's mostly ignored right now. Pick it up while you can still win sets for under $40.

Boros Reckoner is a great short-term spec while people are building janky devotion decks.

Angel of Serenity as a second (or possibly third) win condition for U/W. We can't just scoop to a resolved Laughter Games. I don't think she'll go up, you just need one.

All of the shocklands are, of course, amazing buys. The more popular will hit $15~, the less popular will stay roughly the same. None will have huge drops when RTR rotates, though, which is the important part.

Pithing Needle. See Aetherling, Jace, etc.

Lifebane Zombie. This is the format's best 3-drop.

Loxodon Smiter. This is the only deck that's genuinely obnoxious to U/W, and all the pieces are pretty cheap. Already a little late to the party, though.

Rakdos's Return. Obvious reasons.

Chandra, Pyromaster. Red is a thing, scry is in Theros, this is a card advantage engine.

HIGH REWARD BUT UNLIKELY:

Perimeter Captain. We're losing some decent two drops, this is a great follow up for Boros Elite in Brave the Elements aggro, and it's like 0.40. Go for it.

Mindsparker. It's a really awkward boros reckoner that's more likely to get in some damage against U/W

Underworld Connections. Sideboard/maybe mainbord card for midrange.

Vraska. Removal kind of lingers nowadays -- she can deal with that.

ALREADY EXPENSIVE BUT STILL HAS BREATHING ROOM:

Domri Rade. If G/R has any more support at all, you're going to see this fucker a lot-- you want planeswalkers against control.

AVOID:

literally every god, but put 1-2x thassa in your sideboard for the U/W mirror
chained to the rocks (VERY strong, fits in too few decks to keep the $5 price tag going)
pretty much every other preorder

y2dvd

I actually think the Thassa god will be mainboardable. Augur of Bolas and Think Twice is going away. Those card gave hella card advantage. Thassa's scry ability every turn will give such good card tempo. Omenspeaker is a nice substitute for Augur. It doesn't let you draw any cards, but it doesn't make you miss and force to put your creature, planeswalker, or enchantment to the bottom of the library which may be better. I've cursed one too many times when Augur was all miss.

I'm not even concerned with turning Thassa into a creature. The scry every upkeep will be worth it alone.
T1 whatever
T2 Omenspeaker
T3 Thassa God
T4 Supreme Verdict if necessary and start gaining hella card tempo thx Thassa.

Maybe Thassa's Emissary will be playable. Unblockable and draw's a card per dmg. Survives Shock and Magma Jet.
Aetherling will still be the go to finisher for U/x control.
Daxos of Meletis may be a 1 or 2 of sideboard card but probably not; that 2/2 body doesn't pass the Shock test.
Flamespeaker Adept maybe a thing. Thassa triggers it with Scry, then you can make him unblockable. That's 4 dmg per turn. Expect this combo to at least dominate in limited. It also passes the Shock test.

Can't wait to see more.

f0rk

I actually think the Thassa god will be mainboardable. Augur of Bolas and Think Twice is going away. Those card gave hella card advantage. Thassa's scry ability every turn will give such good card tempo. Omenspeaker is a nice substitute for Augur. It doesn't let you draw any cards, but it doesn't make you miss and force to put your creature, planeswalker, or enchantment to the bottom of the library which may be better. I've cursed one too many times when Augur was all miss.

I'm not even concerned with turning Thassa into a creature. The scry every upkeep will be worth it alone.
T1 whatever
T2 Omenspeaker
T3 Thassa God
T4 Supreme Verdict if necessary and start gaining hella card tempo thx Thassa.
What are all these shitty situational cards you are playing that you keep putting to the bottom before drawing them? Omenspeaker isn't a nice substitute for Augur, for the same reason Index isn't a substitute for Ponder.

Lucario

W/U will look a little like this:

Creatures:

4 Fiendslayer Paladin
2 Aetherling
2 Angel of Serenity

Spells:

4 Azorius Charm
2 Essence Scatter

2 Azorius Keyrune
4 Detention Sphere

4 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Supreme Verdict

4 Syncopate
4 Sphinx's Revelation

4 W/U Nimbus Maze
4 Hallowed Fountain
1 Azorius Guildgate
9 Island
8 Plains

SB:

2 Negate
2 Essence Scatter
3 Pithing Needle
2 Supreme Verdict
2 Dispel
1 Cancel
1 Keening Apparition
2 Thassa

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Barring something better in Theros, the closest thing to an Auger replacement we have is this clunky POS.

Image.ashx

Omenspeaker isn't even close.

Lucario

Barring something better in Theros, the closest thing to an Auger replacement we have is this clunky POS.

Image.ashx

Omenspeaker isn't even close.

We don't even need it, imho.

Card advantage comes from Rev, Angel, and Jace, and the format slows down enough that we're already doing quite well against RDW, especially with the absurd card that Fiendslayer Paladin is going to be.

ultron87

I'd play so many Divinations before an Uncovered Clues.

Edit: Though I guess I can see the value of digging for the Supreme Verdict when you really need it. Hmm.

Lucario

Speaking of divination... Am I insane for believing Read the Bones is constructed playable? Forsee saw a bit of play back in future sight standard. It digs so damn deep, I have a hard time seeing the format just ignoring it.

f0rk

Speaking of divination... Am I insane for believing Read the Bones is constructed playable? Forsee saw a bit of play back in future sight standard. It digs so damn deep, I have a hard time seeing the format just ignoring it.

I hope so, would feel pretty good casting it.
Sam Black has mentioned Dark Prophecy + Gray Merchant of Asphodel and then even Rescue from the Underworld. Some pretty cool value there if a little janky. Not sure if it will be supported properly but Dark Prophecy is probably the one card that can push devotion to black and the black god over the top compared to the other colours. Is Liliana of the Dark Realms really that bad? Probably need some life gain though, add Thoughtseize to this mess and you are draining yourself a lot.

ultron87

Sign in Blood sees play, so I could imagine digging 4 deep would be worth the extra mana. Admittedly you lose the occasional bonus Sign in Blood your opponent for lethal.

Top Bottom